QFG2VGA = Vaporware?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Kaelon
Peasant Status

QFG2VGA = Vaporware?

#1 Post by Kaelon » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:36 am

Firstly, I'm a big fan of AGDInteractive's work (and have closely followed their development ever since talk of Royal Quest!).

However, the lack of any real update on the front page (even if it's just a dev diary saying "Hi, We're alive!") leads me to have a very strong suspicion that this project has taken a back-seat and is no longer really actively being worked upon. Is this true? Or is there still active work on QFG2VGA? If so, can we get an update on where we stand on game metrics? (numbers of sprites, convo menus, units, etc.) And, ideally, a Dev Diary post?

Kuroikaze
Peasant Status

#2 Post by Kuroikaze » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:21 am

I registered just for this.

Yes, I believe QFG2VGA has taken a backseat and will be delayed indefinitetly. Why? Because AGDI is working on their other game, Lost Dutchman's Mine or whatever.
Like any good business, they are shafting their customers in favor of a quick buck. As long as they don't shaft us too badly and lose possible customers, they don't care.
I don't blame them either, this is how a business makes money. Business isn't about the customer's wants and needs. The customer is inconsequential, unless they have money. Businesses do not provide services and goods out of the kindness of their hearts, they do it to take money from you and turn a profit.

What I do blame them for is poor business sense. Instead of clearing their workload and in the process securing additional customers, they're doing QFG2VGA "when they feel like it". A much smarter thing would be to finish QFG2VGA and insert an advertisement for their new game after the end credits, and have a teaser trailer along with it. This pleases your customers and whets their appetites for a new and fresh product.

Publicity is worth far more than a sooner release date on your first commercial product.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:12 am

Kaelon: Like the journal entry on the news page says, QFG2VGA is worked on as time permits. We would have liked to have completed it first (and this is what we tried to do), but the game is much more complex than a KQ game and will need a longer period of testing to cover all paths and character classes.

Our financial situation became a very real problem earlier this year and it became apparant that we had to make our commerical game the main priority. If that problem was not dealt with, then we couldn't afford to make free games at all. Most people simply do not understand the amount of work that goes into a single game. Even when working on one yourself, it's very easy to underestimate the workload. We're talking about full work days on a free project that spans several years.

The stats (sprites/menus etc) on the site are unlikely to have changed very much, as the current version of the game is essentially complete, aside from scripting/programming related tasks. The stats are not an accurate indicator of progress on the game.

Kuroikaze: Conspiracy theorize all you want; the fact of the matter is that QFG2VGA WILL be released when we're in a capable position to finish it. Posts like that do absolutely nothing to hasten the development process, so why bother with them?

Cadbury Wookie
Royal Scribe

#4 Post by Cadbury Wookie » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:41 am

Think of what AGD2 could have been getting done instead of having to reply to that, Kuroikaze. QfG2 is now officially delayed a few minutes more!

"The boy has no patience."

"He will learn patience."

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#5 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:50 am

I really can't believe this kinda stuff...

QFG2VGA is free. FREE! They'll release it when they're happy with their work.

Lets see you release a complex game which takes 3-4 years to complete and then talk like that.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#6 Post by Gronagor » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:34 am

Kuroikaze wrote:What I do blame them for is poor business sense. Instead of clearing their workload and in the process securing additional customers, they're doing QFG2VGA "when they feel like it". A much smarter thing would be to finish QFG2VGA and insert an advertisement for their new game after the end credits, and have a teaser trailer along with it. This pleases your customers and whets their appetites for a new and fresh product.

Publicity is worth far more than a sooner release date on your first commercial product.
You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Copyright infringements like that would be much more than career suicide. If they place their ads in their, Himalayastudio would basicly be accepting responsibility for QfG2 and their real commercial game will never see the light of day.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#7 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:07 pm

What the ??? Are you ignorant?  >:

Da_elf
Knight Status

#8 Post by Da_elf » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:43 am

i can appreciate where they are comming from since my dangermouse game is kind of dead in the water untill i can clear my current PAYING projects off of the table. its really not easy making a game. i think that the 1st criteria for anyone who wants to b!tch and moan about the delay of QFG2VGA is that they need to present a finished game of their own. then they are alowed to put in their two cents worth.

Kaelon
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Kaelon » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:06 am

Thanks for the response, AGD2! As a long-time lurker, I'm appreciative that you've come out to essentially confirm my suspicions that QFG2VGA is no longer actively being developed.

It sounds like you folks won't be working on it until your commercial game is released; it's an understandable strategy.

I hope that your situation improves (perhaps you should open a voluntary "Donations" service? I, and I'm sure many others, would gladly donate to a "Finish QFG2VGA Fund!"), and that some day we can see a completed QFG2VGA.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#10 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:50 am

I remain optimistic that we will see it completed in the future. However donations would be cool. Isn't there a donation link on the main site?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#11 Post by Gronagor » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:46 am

Kaelon wrote:Thanks for the response, AGD2! As a long-time lurker, I'm appreciative that you've come out to essentially confirm my suspicions that QFG2VGA is no longer actively being developed.

It sounds like you folks won't be working on it until your commercial game is released; it's an understandable strategy.

I hope that your situation improves (perhaps you should open a voluntary "Donations" service? I, and I'm sure many others, would gladly donate to a "Finish QFG2VGA Fund!"), and that some day we can see a completed QFG2VGA.
Weird. I can't find any connection whatsoever between AGD2's post and your 'interpretation' of it.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:49 am

There's no need for donations. Patience is all we ask for. We have a lot on our plates right now and I'm positive we can finish it all as long as we have the time to do so.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#13 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:51 am

Well, put it this way... we haven't been working on the game since 2001 and completed 90% of it, only to scrap it and then pull some facade of trying to dupe people into believing that a 'vaporware' game is still in development. I really don't see how that would give us credibility. If we were going to do that, these forums wouldn't still be here and I certainly wouldn't be hanging around to answer questions which would essentially result in me digging myself into a deeper hole.

QFG2VGA is still being actively developed, hence the reason why it's in the development stage and not the alpha or beta stage. As Erpy says, money and motivation are not factors that will influence the development speed. It'll take however long it takes to finish because we want it to be good.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#14 Post by Fribbi » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:36 pm

However, the lack of any real update on the front page (even if it's just a dev diary saying "Hi, We're alive!") leads me to have a very strong suspicion that this project has taken a back-seat and is no longer really actively being worked upon. Is this true? Or is there still active work on QFG2VGA? If so, can we get an update on where we stand on game metrics? (numbers of sprites, convo menus, units, etc.) And, ideally, a Dev Diary post?
Why not give us some new imformations what is going on even there is nothing really going on? What are you waiting for? Are you telling us there will be no more news in this year?  But any new news on the first page will remind us you are still alive here. It doesn't has to do with the game just anything else wich is news to us will do. I must say you have a poor newsman on your site. I was not offending you. But Kaelon
really had some good points there.

No news is sad news.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#15 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:03 pm

Why not give us some new imformations what is going on even there is nothing really going on?
You mean "lie" in other words?
Are you telling us there will be no more news in this year?
I don't recall saying that.
But any new news on the first page will remind us you are still alive here. It doesn't has to do with the game just anything else wich is news to us will do.
I just told you what was going on up above. Whether that news is on the main page, here in the forums, or delivered to your gun-shaped mailbox... what difference does it make? You already know the latest news because it's posted on the site. There's nothing else to say at the moment and we're not about to start posting CNN reports up there.

Go and do something productive with your time if you're lacking patience... such as bothering 3D Realms instead!

El_Listo
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by El_Listo » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:11 pm

Oh god, another thread about this...

I don't think that testing is a very exciting part of a game, so I don't see the point in posting news about it, we already know the game is in development, they have told us. So why keep asking for updates? If they think they have something to say they will then update the journal. WE DON'T NEED AN UPDATE EVERY SECOND.

The game is FREE, for god's sake, they give you those amazing games for free and you demand them to write updates?

And to the AGDs, if I were you, I wouldn't bother answering those annoying posts, keep doing your good work, you have tons of fans to amaze in the future!

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#17 Post by Ghost_Rider » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:02 pm

Kuroikaze wrote:Like any good business, they are shafting their customers in favor of a quick buck. As long as they don't shaft us too badly and lose possible customers, they don't care.
I don't blame them either, this is how a business makes money. Business isn't about the customer's wants and needs. The customer is inconsequential, unless they have money.

I don't see how you can say any of us here are being "shafted".  They've already given us two FREE games which were very well done.  Anyone who has played through QFG2EGA knows it is a large, complex game.  You can't just snap your fingers and make it appear.

I am not sure how old you are, but if you have ever been out on your own, fending for yourself, you'll understand this.  Say you are living with your parents and you do some volunteer work, and everyone there really appreciates your help.  You enjoy working there and like giving to the community.  Then one day you either have to or choose to leave home.  You have to pay rent, and any associated expenses that come with living alone.  Suddenly you realize you must find a paying job.

So, you leave the volunteer job as soon as you find a paying one.  Maybe some people at the place you volunteered understand, and maybe some feel abandoned.  Well, the same thing is happening here.  Some people understand why QFG2VGA cannot be priority #1 all of the time, and other people do not understand (or maybe they just like to complain).

My point is that most of us will have times in our lives where we must think of ourselves first and ensure that we survive.  Doing what we like and doing what we must are not usually the same.  I would like to be at college taking mechatronics and robotics courses... instead I am working away and trying to save up towards that.  If I did what I wanted and went to college, I would run out of money and then not have food to eat or a place to stay.

Anyone who has had to fend for themselves should understand this and be able to have patience for QFG2VGA.  Yes, we are all eager to play the game, and yes, we'd all be thrilled if we could have it right now.  But we must remember the AGDs are human too (no offense guys   ;) ), they have to make sure there is food on the table.  Survival is #1, and that is something that most of us should be able to relate to.

If your parents bought you a Ferrari on your 16th birthday, you might not get my point.   :p

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#18 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:50 pm

How about everyone just stop complaining and wait? Gee. This is really rediculous. If you want it so bad YOU go make it! If not then just bloody wait.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#19 Post by Fribbi » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:29 pm

I just told you what was going on up above. Whether that news is on the main page, here in the forums, or delivered to your gun-shaped mailbox... what difference does it make? You already know the latest news because it's posted on the site. There's nothing else to say at the moment and we're not about to start posting CNN reports up there.
Well I got a simple idea about this.

First of all, delete the news page, if it is so boring for you to write anything on that now.

People will then stop complaining about this then and instead visit the forums instead to get the latest news and talk about it there.

Only include the games with the imformations you have already designed in the front page.

And make a new forums called "AGDI news" so everybody can comment about that latest news you have for us. There is no need to place the news in too many places as you know.

It was just a idea to end this complainings.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#20 Post by Gronagor » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:22 am

:\  ... you waiting for a reply to that, Fribbi? Don't have some new SIS stories to make up?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#21 Post by Erpy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:30 am

Fribs, I'm afraid I'll have to take that suggestion as seriously as it sounds to me...

The news page is where the updates are gonna be if we have them and I'm not even gonna think about a news-folder in the forum. That's probably just gonna be filled with one-liners anyhow, as there's very little to discuss right now.

oriel
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by oriel » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:44 am

I don't see myself putting pressure on the AGDs, other than creating rambling posts to try and entertain myself and others while we wait.  But in light of this, I find myself visiting this site less frequently, hoping I could come here in 6 months and be amazed that the game is available.  

There's no need to complain, or lose confidence in the company.  Honestly, I think AGD has been playing their cards right, EXCEPT that they aren't looking to find some other developers to help them with the load. Whether or not you look upon this as selfish is up to you.  They want the game done right.  It could take who knows how long to finish up.  

Just patience - it will pay off in the end.

Oriel

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#23 Post by Fribbi » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:22 pm

Erpy you really are a boring person.  >:   I was only complaining because of the lack of the news section. If there has ben no updates in many months in the frontpage, people will think this is a dead website.  ;)

You really should make a news forums and export every important news, you have said here lately in that forum, about your games and just lock every threads if you don't want to discuss about it just like you did with the old threads. It is so simple. ;)

At least update the web page little more now. Get a new banner. Refresh it somehow. So everybody knows you are still alive. :\

The latest news will then always goes in that forum so there is no need to have a news update on the frontpage.  :D

Just add then a link to the news forum on the frontpage.  But some people come here only for the first page to read the news without visiting the forums so why not try to lure them in here instead? ;)

My complain has nothing to do with the games of yours. I can be patience like everybody and wait more after this  game of yours. I wish you good luck with your games in the futures.  :rolleyes

And yes I shall go. I know am getting so boring here. And don't expect me to come back since AGDI 2 wanted me to leave well I have then nothing to do here on this silly forums with a bunch a jerks who never listen to me. Yes I know what you are going to say but this is really getting to be boring to be here.  :x

There is no wonder why people are leaving you since you answer people with those answers. Yes I am boring and annoying so what about it. Forget about my newest game.  :evil

It will be on sale anyway so you won't get it for free. And beside it will be on icelandic language so there is no points for you to wait for that game.  :evil

Yes just wait a little longer for Quest for the glory 2 while there is nothing else to do here. As they said they have already finish that game but they don't want to release it until their own game will be released and that could take a loooooooooooong time. And why wait? Those game are nothing compared to the games you are seeing in computer market todays. Oh they are free. Big deal. The game is crap. Every games made with AGS is crap. But hey some games are looking very good and yours was just like that. The best handled game I have downloaded. But times change and now everybody can make a better games than yours with AGS so why are I still here. Because I thought I get so respect here. But no. I only get a laugh on my face and people finds me more and more silly and stupid. Well that's your thoughts now about me here.

Grow up! Will some people say now to me. Like that is going to make some different character of me. I am always growing up silly people.
And I am always learning some new stuff like how to make games and bla bla bla.

There I have said it what I have always wanted to say. And yes I am upset you know.

Some people here are saying me to shut up. Ok fine. I shall shut up.

I am not going to apoligize myself now because of this. Why? You have always wanted me to shut up anyway. >:  

You may ban me from this forums if you want. But remember my words AGDI team.

"You have waisted to much energy giving a free game to a greedy people who want's everything for free without paying you nothing for your hard work on this games and still you want to continue like a foolish slavers for a people like this whch is something I can't explain for anyone".

You really need a shrink.

Goodbye AGDI.

Goodbye to you all now :D  I gave you a second try to make peace with me but you still want to be unfriendly to me.

Ok 3DRealm here I come.

PS: I love those SIS guys. They were telling me the truth about you.
They knowed already this will come up.  And they warned me about you.
I just couldn't beleave it then but I beleave them now what they said. >:
I am going to send them my best christmass card on their website that is if they have any. :lol

I am going now. :evil

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#24 Post by Erpy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:11 pm

Fribbi, meaning no disrespect but just about every few weeks there's a discussion about this matter and just about every month you toss your 2 cents in, get upset when we don't follow up on your advice, throw a tantrum and say you're leaving. It's almost like a monthly cycle. (are we still free to dismiss your advice if we feel it's not useful enough to follow up without majorly upsetting you?)

I'm getting a little bit tired of those fits you toss around every time I talk back to you. Don't keep this up.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#25 Post by GuJiaXian » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:04 pm

I thought I'd step in here before blows are exchanged. I've been following the QFG2VGA project since it was first announced, and (like most people here) I consider myself to be its biggest fan.

That said, like many other people here, I ache for updates. At the same time, I recognize and respect the heavy workload currently on the team putting together QFG2VGA and Al Emmo. I'm keeping close tabs on both projects, and I've been pleased to see a few news items posted for Al Emmo in the last week or two.

While I have absolutely no authority here, it seems that some form of compromise needs to take place. Yes, the fans are itching for info...any info. At the same time, the developers are plugging away on their projects and have little time to devote to posting news where there's no news to be posted.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think Erpy is what amounts to a "community rep"; that is, he's here as a liason between the fans (via the boards) and the developers. Perhaps he could post a news item (even if it's just "hey, we're concentrating on getting Al Emmo out the door and then it's QFG2VGA party time!"). If that doesn't work, or I've misrepresented Erpy's responsibilities, that's fine.

It's hard for us fans because we associate no news with no progress. I personally track the progress of a number of "fan remakes." One in particular (a remake of the CRPG Ultima 6) hasn't seen an update since February, though the project lead insists that the remake is moving forward. I just don't want to see this happen with AGDI.

It seems that Al Emmo is priority right now, and I'm fine with that. Perhaps a quick news blurb to that effect would placate the seething masses.

Finally, it's raining outside here. I'm un Utah (USA), so rain is a VERY good thing. So life is good and we should all be nice to each other.  :)