QFG2VGA = Vaporware?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#26 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:14 pm

I think the case with AGDI is that "No news update = no progess" is not really accurate considering they have already released 2 full games. Which should speak for itself.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#27 Post by GuJiaXian » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:19 pm

Yes, I understand that. I was just suggesting that a simple "we're working on another project right now" post on the QFG2VGA news page might placate people. I think that most of the complaints here aren't that Al Emmo is being completed first; I think it's the lack of new updates. Perhaps a news update about the lack of news updates might be in order.

And if that didn't make you smile, then what the heck is wrong with you?

Hey, I'm a writer and copy editor with almost six years professional experience. I'll even write a short news entry for you, if you'd like. I wouldn't even charge for my services.  :)

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#28 Post by Alias » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:22 pm

Just leave them alone to do what they do best. No point telling them what & when to do anything, like an update because its not up to you. Or anyone else. Its up to the creators. If you're so impatient just leave & come back later when they released the game, not point making posts like 'We want updates'. So what if they do Elmo first? We know they will be finished.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#29 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:30 pm

... Elmo?  :lol

elspanyl
Peasant Status

#30 Post by elspanyl » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:16 pm

I agree with letting them take their time too.  I always thought this was the best sierra game made and I can't wait to relive it.  But let it be done when it's done.  

It would be nice to one more screenshot though.  Just to see...

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#31 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:31 pm

I have not posted here in a while, but I feel it is important that I contribute to this thread.

I am an outsider to the QFG2VGA project, but I can assure you - it will be released.  This program is not vaporware, or abandonded.  I know that the lack of updates can cause worry, but rest assured - it's fine.

I don't know when, but it will be.  This game isn't a figment of imagination, or a lie - there's only so much you can do in making a game, and you don't realize the amount of work that goes into creating one.

Don't worry, true believers, the game will be done and you'll enjoy it - and from that point on, you can play it to your hearts desire.

Trust me, AGDI has been working very hard for you people, more than you know.

Bt

Broomie
The Enigma

#32 Post by Broomie » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:45 pm

How about sticking to the classics? Every screenshot released by Tierra/AGDI AFAIK. Oh yeah, go Hero! It's your birthday! Not for real real, just for play play!
ImageImage
Last edited by Broomie on Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

elspanyl
Peasant Status

#33 Post by elspanyl » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:53 pm

Wow that is so awesome.  I really can't wait to play that again!!

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

"fire in the hole!"

#34 Post by johnb4467 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:52 am

Haha, wow I go AWOL for a while...and then upon return find Wages of War on the forums!!! :rollin

Well the main thing I can say about 'progress' is this...just remember what QG4 was initially like when it was released by Sierra. It was a nightmare. The 'stable' version we now play today is possibly my absolute favorite Quest for Glory game [well, "co"...QG2 is tied with it]. But just think back when it was actually released -- I hope you were around at that time...I can't even put into words how frustrating that was. You could literally have your character walk right into the air on ANY screen if you tried hard enough. And with every patch revision, your old saved games didn't work. Not only that, but this was before the www...so you either had to pay toll fees for connecting to a long-distance BBS (haha, anyone REMEMBER those?!?!?), or wait weeks for a patch disk to be sent to you via snail-mail. And I stress, we went though about 4 or 5 of those before the game became "stable". This is the thing that keeps me "most patient".

I can't think of many people that are more excited for this game than I. I know, you're all going to say YOU are...but still -- I'm excited about it...very! More than any "big-company-name" game, in fact. This is the game I played through at least 18 times...and just the fact that the character paths are SO different in this installation of the series should remind us how much work it's taking. In fact, I'm somewhat amazed that the freely-available software tool they use to make these games can support such a load.

But most importantly to me, I've had the opportunity to shoot a few emails back and forth between the AGD's...and they're wholly nice people with good intentions as their highest priority. If it is said that they were in a financially difficult position that required them to shift focus to their commercial effort...it really is true. Even in a digital-world where they haven't had to buy paints & whatnot to do the backgrounds, character portraits, etc...they are indeed in real-life situations like most of us -- having to pay for rent, electricity, car stuff...and in one particular case, a dog "the size of a small cow" -- LOL!

It really is amazingly hard to understand how much time is required for even a single screen. Scripting especially, gosh I feel bad for which AGD has that job!!! (no, I don't make games, but I work in the visual effects industry -- also very time consuming...so I can relate somewhat at least).

I understand it doesn't help to say it, but just be patient. If you haven't played through their KQ1 and KQ2 VGA's, I really suggest it. I still haven't played through KQ1 VGA...so I have absolutely no grounds to be complaining. If you have, go onto ebay and snag some of the old-school Sierra and Lucasarts adventure games...they're dirt cheap and still as wonderful as they were back then...it's amazing how much better those games stand the test of time than 3d games do.

The main thing to remember is that we want a fully-functional product released, because no one *enjoys* having to patch a game!  ;)  :lol

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#35 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:00 pm

Amen John. I personally kill time by visiting this forum three times a day. And other forums twice and once respectively. This whole community built upon these free games is absolutly great and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Thanks AGDIs

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#36 Post by Alias » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:03 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:Amen John. I personally kill time by visiting this forum three times a day. And other forums twice and once respectively. This whole community built upon these free games is absolutly great and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Thanks AGDIs
And the whole congrigation says:

AMEN!

Its beatiful what the AGDIs have accomplished, just makes me think about what it takes to actually get somewhere.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#37 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:23 pm

just now I noticed the the irony between me being an Atheist and having a post that simply says "Amen"

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#38 Post by Ghost_Rider » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:31 am

WOW!

The artwork in those screenshots is outstanding.  I especially like the Inn, outside of the Inn and Keapon Laffin's shop.  I can already tell this game is going to rock!

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

HoustonDragon
Peasant Status

#39 Post by HoustonDragon » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:32 am

There's just way too many of these "bitch, bitch, moan, moan, GIMME!" threads.

Speaking as someone who's worked on remakes, and who's familiar with the time, effort, and general screaming that it takes to create something, I have nothing but respect for the AGDs after playing KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA.

All the pretty words and promises in the world doesn't mean squat unless they're backed up by actually releasing a product of quality. They haven't promised anything, nor have they made pie-in-the-sky speeches about "OMG! HOW GRAT THIS IS GONNA BE!". Instead, they've given us two awesome recreations of our beloved adventure games, and have shown us a taste of things to come with the screenshots, designer diaries, and information that they can share.

I'd much rather have patience for them to do the thing right, instead of them cowtowing to spit out an inferior game. Look at what happened to Sierra themselves when they went down that road. =(

HoustonDragon
Peasant Status

#40 Post by HoustonDragon » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:34 am

Broomie wrote:
*drool* Any chance we'll see some high-res versions of those as wallpapers? I should go back and scan my old QFG2 map for one. =)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#41 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:33 am

WE have rules about double posting *shakes fist*... not to be an armchair mod  :lol I'm sure you can just photoshop and stretch the image for a decent background if you care so much.

Slink
Peasant Status

#42 Post by Slink » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:09 am

Fribbi wrote:>:
Someone needs a nap!  (Or something that rhymes with one...)

Hello, all, just wanted to say "Hi" to you all, and that I really appreciate all of the work that you have done, and that you continue to do.  Good luck!  I am really looking foreward to the game.  You are truly artisans.  Bless you!

-Slink

Check out www.transfusion-game.com !

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#43 Post by Fribbi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:33 pm

Broomie you forgot one picture

Are you all still mad at me now?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#44 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:25 pm

whoa I never saw that screenshot before Fribbi. It's pretty amazing, when was it released?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#45 Post by Erpy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:26 pm

It was posted during the Inventory Party nearly a year ago.

techie775
Knight Status

#46 Post by techie775 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:22 pm

Dude! I never saw that one either in the fire room when you're trying to get iblis. That looks sweet! Pays off to check the forums often.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#47 Post by Fribbi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:50 pm

At least they have something to add it on the screenshots image page now. I thougth I will never see that image again but it was destroyed in my old computer. But then I remember I kept it somewhere on my old blog website. Lucky me.

But I still wish they could show us more screenshot. It wont hurt you right?

I would like to see when Hero is standing on all enemy. "King of the mountain" was my favorite joke from that game.

And I also want to see Aziza home. I won't ask for more images. :D

Draco62
Royal Servant Status

picture

#48 Post by Draco62 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:41 am

That is great to see all the screen shoots together. Glad some one was able to put them in the forums.  :)

Adventurer
Peasant Status

re

#49 Post by Adventurer » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:56 pm

Why don't you guys do what every other game company does and sell advanced copies of Dutchmans Mine.

Draco62
Royal Servant Status

#50 Post by Draco62 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:07 am

They cannot if it is not finished. :|