KQ9 shut down

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#26 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:55 am

I can't believe this. At least the most humane thing to do would be to send that letter MUCH MUCH EARLIER! All that work, blood, sweat, and tears and they shut them down MONTHS before the release. It's gotten enough around the net that they would have known about it earlier, they had no excuse for not shutting them down earlier.

Sickening.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#27 Post by Gronagor » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:35 am

Release of the first chapter, yes. Years before the final release.

I wish I could bring up those threads about Hero6 where people complained and asked why Hero6 changed the name, characters and storyline while KQ9 didn't.

Well... this is why.

Yeah... if SQ7 have any chance of being released, they're definitely in trouble.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#28 Post by Erpy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:56 am

Given that AGDI has an arrangement with Vivendi, is there a way you guys could intervene, try to get KQIX included under the same agreement?
Nope. "Intervening" would imply that we actually control their legal dept, which we don't. Also, we'd also have been shut down if we would have made a sequel.

Fender178
Knight Status

#29 Post by Fender178 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:06 pm

Erpy,

My question is how will this effect the sq7 project thats being worked on currnetly?

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#30 Post by Fribbi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:06 pm

Why is AGDI save from Vivendi Studio but not the others Sierra games fan creators? Who others fans other than AGDI is save from Vivendi Studio?  :hat

Do you actually get paid for this works what you are doing from Vivendi Studio? I don't get it why AGDI can remake games but others don't.

It is very sucspicious for me.

And I find it is very shameful that Vivendi did not stop KQ9 team earlier.

My game is just suppose to be a joke game with some Sierra characters and many backgrounds from those quest games. Could I be in danger too if I still continue with that work? Answer Yes unless I change the name and the background somehow but that's means I have to change the whole story too. :rolleyes  :cry

Why am I always so unlucky when I am trying to make a game for fun? :(

Vivendi Studio you have no respect for real Sierra games fan lovers! >:

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#31 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:13 pm

Fribbi you're beggining to sound like a broken record. I swear you've asked the question 4 times and each time I tried to help make it clear for you so if you listen to the answers to your previous questions instead of asking them over and over you will see that you are relitively safe unless you make a big website and post links everywhere. Your game isn't very big and it is relatively low key. The other projects are the ones I see in possible danger. SQ7 is top of the list I bet.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#32 Post by Swift » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:22 pm

QFG Fan blasts Fribbi for being a broken record, but has three posts with exactly the same message. Talk about irony. :p

[edit] Rats, you deleted the repeated posts.

Kuroikaze
Peasant Status

#33 Post by Kuroikaze » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:18 pm

Oh exploitable, a company that owns a copyright choose to enforce it!

You honestly didn't see this coming? the guy blatantly called the game King's Quest 9. If he released it, and vivendi did nothing, that would make them unable to release king's quest 9 if and when they choose to.

They did what was in their legal right. They're not an evil corporation, they're just protecting their intellectual property.

Lambasting Vivendi for protecting their intellectual property is the equivalent of beating a woman to death for fighting back a rapist and injuring him.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#34 Post by Swift » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:33 pm

The issue some people have with VU isn't just that they shut down the project, but that they had done so when the game was nearing completion rather than years ago.

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#35 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:52 pm

This really pisses me off. A real shame. The game looked so cool. Think about the YEARS of work that went into it. Imagine what the people who worked on this feel like.

F*** you, Vivendi. This is absolutely not good for your image.

Kuroikaze
Peasant Status

#36 Post by Kuroikaze » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:19 pm

They didn't shut it down years ago because it wasn't a threat tot heir property until now.

Most C&Ds are sent when an infringing project is nearing a release, because they hope the projects would fold by themselves before then, sparing the costs of lawyers and the publicity inherent with C&Ds.

Then there's also the fact that there are literally hundreds of these fan projects for the thousands of properties vivendi owns. They don't just own king's quest, and it's not exactly a high priority at the moment, since there is no impending release.

If you really want to see this project released, I'd write vivendi (no online petitions, those are pipe dreams that never accomplish anything) and make them an offer that will give them something in return for a release of the project.

Vivendi is a company like any other, and if you give them the idea that there is money in doing a licencing deal with the KQ9 team, they would be stupid not to take advantage of it.

It wouldn't be the first time a fan project has been embraced by a company. Look at Project Gordon for Half Life 2.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

Protest!

#37 Post by Jontas » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:20 pm

Boycott vivendi and write them nasty letters, it's the least you can do people. This company needs to know that what they did was wrong. We can make them regret their decission.

- Jontas

Kuroikaze
Peasant Status

Re: Protest!

#38 Post by Kuroikaze » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:26 pm

Jontas wrote:Boycott vivendi and write them nasty letters, it's the least you can do people. This company needs to know that what they did was wrong. We can make them regret their decission.

- Jontas
So, it's wrong for them to protect their property right?

Intellectual property theft is still theft.
Just because they aren't making a new game right now doesn't mean that it doesn't still belong to them.

How would you like it if someone went through your house and stole everything you haven't used in the last year?

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#39 Post by Swift » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:30 pm

Kuroikaze wrote:If you really want to see this project released, I'd write vivendi (no online petitions, those are pipe dreams that never accomplish anything) and make them an offer that will give them something in return for a release of the project..
And just what would that offer be?

techie775
Knight Status

#40 Post by techie775 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:36 pm

hmm didn't know you guys had an agreement with vivendi. I thought I read before they hadn't done thing to shut down your work so you took it as if they were ok with your games. A agreement helps though for something like this thing with kq9 from happening. Well now I know...

Kuroikaze
Peasant Status

#41 Post by Kuroikaze » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:40 pm

Swift: I'm not the best person to ask this, but off the top of my head, something like this.

Get enough people to write vivendi to show them there is profit in a KQ9 game. You'd need at least 500,000 letters from 500,000 people. Convince them to commision the KQ9 team for a % of the profits of sales. I don't know what the current rates are for this, but 25% seems fair, considering the only money vivendi woul have to put out is for packaging and shipping.

If they sell each game for 30 dollars, and 500,000 people pre-order it, that's a gross income of 15 Million. After packaging and shipping costs, and all other expenses, there might be a profit of 10 million just on pre-ordered copies.

That's 2.5 Million of pure profit for vivendi, plus any extra from copies sold online.

Like I said, rough idea, needs polishing.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#42 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:59 pm

wouldn't they have to be employed by Sierra? Also they said they would never create another game in the series.

Edit: and post 1100 goes to KQ9
Last edited by Quest For Glory Fan on Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koko992001
Peasant Status

#43 Post by koko992001 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:27 pm

I've already sent an email to Vivendi. This is the email I was told to use. PLEASE send those emails and show them your support for the continuation of KQ IX:

games.comments@vugames.com

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#44 Post by Spikey » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:25 pm

I think this is really disturbing. I'm sad.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#45 Post by Alias » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:21 pm

Apparantly SQ7 also have a VU contact. So I heard. If SQ7 gets shut down, I will kill myself. Really.

BenW.
Peasant Status

#46 Post by BenW. » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:38 am

Write letters and emails.  It takes like 5 minutes and it will help if enough people ask.  They gotta question themselves after a certain amount of customers start being upset with them.

Kuroikaze
Peasant Status

#47 Post by Kuroikaze » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:16 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:wouldn't they have to be employed by Sierra? Also they said they would never create another game in the series.

Edit: and post 1100 goes to KQ9
No, they wouldn't. They can instead commission them for it, and pay them via % share of profits.

It would be no different than Silicon Knights doing the Metal Gear Solid remake, Twin Snakes. Konami and Hideo Kojima own the property, but they can commission development teams to do projects for them without hiring them on full time. Or it would also be like Retro Studios doing Metroid Prime. Nintendo owns everything that is Metroid, but they commissioned a 3rd party develper to make the game.

As to them saying they wouldn't do any more games in the KQ series, it wouldn't be the first time a game company has changed its mind to turn a profit.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#48 Post by Vildern » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:47 am

I've already sent an email to Vivendi. This is the email I was told to use. PLEASE send those emails and show them your support for the continuation of KQ IX:

games.comments@vugames.com
Good idea, Koko! I'll write my own email to them. Perhaps, we could persuade them.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#49 Post by Erpy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:24 am

Well if you will excuse me I need to scratch my ass again. And when that happens my finger smell so bad I can't type anything on computer until I wash my hands. But unfortunatly for me I forgot to buy for me a new and clean a handsoap. But I really need to scratch my ass. So I will come again tommorow because the all markets in Iceland will then open so I can buy for me a new clean soap so I can clean my hands who had to suffer one night with a smell of my ass hahahahaha.
Was that comment really necessary? Doesn't seem to have a lot to do with the topic at hand.  :rolleyes
Apparantly SQ7 also have a VU contact. So I heard. If SQ7 gets shut down, I will kill myself. Really.
I don't think they do. I didn't see any disclaimers on their website saying so.

Broomie
The Enigma

#50 Post by Broomie » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:44 am

Erpy wrote:
Well if you will excuse me I need to scratch my ass again. And when that happens my finger smell so bad I can't type anything on computer until I wash my hands. But unfortunatly for me I forgot to buy for me a new and clean a handsoap. But I really need to scratch my ass. So I will come again tommorow because the all markets in Iceland will then open so I can buy for me a new clean soap so I can clean my hands who had to suffer one night with a smell of my ass hahahahaha.
Was that comment really necessary? Doesn't seem to have a lot to do with the topic at hand.  :rolleyes
It's because Fribbi is an ass.

I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread except for the mourning of KQIX's departure but I will second Koko and Vildern.

Email Vivendi, it's the only thing we can do. Persuade them to come to some sort of agreement. The rules of posting here in regard to your post count was most quality over quantity. I choose the latter when emailing KQIX. The more emails sent, the more chance something could happen. Yet I'm not holding my breath. People hold protests in similar situations when the law has provoked something from happening, well emailing is the next best thing. It's nothing to do with them 'giving in' but it's the only thing we can do.