Space Quest 3 Remake Shut Down!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#51 Post by Alias » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:19 pm

For someone how isent even on the Hybrid Studios team, you should know better than to back up your claims.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#52 Post by Gronagor » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:24 pm

I think every fan game group know very well they're moving on dangerous grounds. We're the only ones at fault here.  VU have full right to protect their copyrights since they've paid quite a bit for them. We all knew the possibility was there... the first group was closed down about 6 years ago and since then quite a few, so no-one can say they didn't know.

The only thing that's really upsetting people is the fact that it's being done all at once.

Perhaps... just perhaps... all this (including the rerelease of the old games) is for a reason. Perhaps we finally got through to them and they've decided to continue the quest series!

Hopeful thinking, eh?

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#53 Post by Vildern » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:25 pm

For someone how isent even on the Hybrid Studios team, you should know better than to back up your claims
I don't back up lies.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#54 Post by Alias » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:27 pm

Last edited by Alias on Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#55 Post by Erpy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:28 pm

Wasn't he on the team as a mod?

Anyway, our team discussed this matter behind the scenes and we came to the conclusion that this "cease & desist" is very likely a hoax as well for various reasons. Still, part of me wants to wait for the c&d-letter to be forwarded before jumping to conclusions. If it's a fake, it'll be probably fairly easy to tell. The question will always remain whether the team was pranked or was simply using the opportunity to quit without losing face.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#56 Post by Alias » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:33 pm

Erpy can you confirm if it was VU who sent us that letter?

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#57 Post by Boogeyman » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Alias wrote:It just pisses me off that these games are FREE but they still don't care. Just because they have the copyrights of the game in a safe somewhere, how do our fan games interfere with them? Its just like fan art, but in a different aspect.
I have to agree. KQ9 and SQRemake are NOT infringing on copyrights as they are FREEWARE. If they were being made for a monetary profit, then there WOULD be an infringement.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#58 Post by Fribbi » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:38 pm

Generally it would be wiser for adventure fans to create just entirely original (fan?)games than remakes. For example, my own project (as it sometimes will be completed, at least I hope so) is original, so nodoby (except me) can ever shut it down!

My game is original fan game but with a sprites and backgrounds, and characters from many Sierra games. Is that ok?

Considering remakes, why they must be advertised on web already at the beginning of the project? If the creators could kept the project as secret until it would be nearly completed, VU (for example) couldn't shut it down until the game would be released! My own project hasn't a web site, and it will not have such a "place" until the game is nearly completed. There shouldn't be any reason to advertise a game that will not be completed for many, many years.
I agree.

The Icelandic chat forums I work with as a newsman and admin will host up my game. But my game will go on icelandic computer sale only. Of course I will try to ask Vivendi Universal for permission for that before that happens.

It is just like asking mom and dad for pocketmoneys.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#59 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:38 pm

I guess its like if you steal a TV but you dont watch it, you've still taking it.

That was a bad analogy but you know what I mean.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#60 Post by Erpy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:45 pm

Theoretically, we probably could, although it's a lot easier if you simply forward the c&d letter you got. Lawyer jargon isn't easy to replicate correctly.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#61 Post by Vildern » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:46 pm

Bottom line:

NO C&D letter was sent to Hybrid Studios. SQ3Remake Has not been shut down by VU. It was most likely a hoax.
Last edited by Vildern on Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#62 Post by Alias » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:47 pm

Erpy wrote:Theoretically, we probably could, although it's a lot easier if you simply forward the c&d letter you got. Lawyer jargon isn't easy to replicate correctly.

I could if I had a copy. Khaveen confirmed this and I dont think he is a lier. I first want to hear it from VU themselves. Unless someone from SQN played a prank on our project, and khaveen fell for it.  :(

Storm
Knight Status

#63 Post by Storm » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:47 pm

I don't usually post here, but I've seen the SQ3 shutdown announcement on another forum, and something there smelled a bit fishy to me.
I find it highly unlikely Vivendi would target Hybrid. Why shut down their SQ3 remake while allowing AGDI's remakes be? that just didn't make any sense. Also, after checking out the progress displayed on their site, I can't see how Vivendi would ever think it threatens them in any way, since (to me, at least) it doesn't seem they stand a snowball's chance in hell of ever completing the game (sorry if I offend anyone here, it's just bitter experience talking.)

So, I've done some checking around... and found out for a fact that there never was a C&D letter sent to Hybrid. Alias just decided to use the frenzy around KQIX being shut down and cop out of making the game without looking like total loser, without even bothering to tell his teammates about it. >:
This is either a bad hoax or a shameless lie, and either way, acts such as this are damaging to the entire community, as they might undermine the credibility of every other developing group out there.

You should really be ashamed of yourself, Alias. Our community is too small and way too fragile to have people working on the inside against it. Admit your lie and go apologize to the other forums your lie has infested, and hope they won't ban you after pulling such a dirty stunt  >:

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#64 Post by Erpy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:50 pm

Don't you find it weird he says he's got a c&d letter, yet doesn't show it to anybody else on the team?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#65 Post by Alias » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:55 pm

Storm wrote:I don't usually post here, but I've seen the SQ3 shutdown announcement on another forum, and something there smelled a bit fishy to me.
I find it highly unlikely Vivendi would target Hybrid. Why shut down their SQ3 remake while allowing AGDI's remakes be? that just didn't make any sense. Also, after checking out the progress displayed on their site, I can't see how Vivendi would ever think it threatens them in any way, since (to me, at least) it doesn't seem they stand a snowball's chance in hell of ever completing the game (sorry if I offend anyone here, it's just bitter experience talking.)

So, I've done some checking around... and found out for a fact that there never was a C&D letter sent to Hybrid. Alias just decided to use the frenzy around KQIX being shut down and cop out of making the game without looking like total loser, without even bothering to tell his teammates about it. >:
This is either a bad hoax or a shameless lie, and either way, acts such as this are damaging to the entire community, as they might undermine the credibility of every other developing group out there.

You should really be ashamed of yourself, Alias. Our community is too small and way too fragile to have people working on the inside against it. Admit your lie and go apologize to the other forums your lie has infested, and hope they won't ban you after pulling such a dirty stunt  >:
Like I said before, show me some evidence to go with that statement.
Erpy wrote:Don't you find it weird he says he's got a c&d letter, yet doesn't show it to anybody else on the team?

In order to check if it's a prank, tell him to search through the header. The real one will have a @vugames.com adress and the IP will trace back to LA, California.

Like I said before, I acted on Khaveens word. This is not somehting I just dreamed up one day. It probably involved some people that were pranking alot of people (incluiding me) at SQN forum.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#66 Post by Erpy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:57 pm

Post the letter and we can find out.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#67 Post by Alias » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:59 pm

There no point in letting this linger, SQ3R is gone, finished. There no point in letting these linger on. Khaveen just wanted you guys to view the postmorten work, so you guys could take a look at a few htings we've done lately.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#68 Post by Vildern » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:01 pm

Enough. This is absurd. There are only two options. Either a hoax (by the guys from spacequest.net) or a lie.

That's all there is. There is no letter to show.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#69 Post by Erpy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:02 pm

Please don't dodge the request. This news made it onto several sites already, so I figure everyone's curious what this is all about.

(if there's no letter to show, it's not a hoax from a prankster, btw)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#70 Post by Gronagor » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:04 pm

Hmmm... so... who read KQ9's letter?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#71 Post by Alias » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:05 pm

Why would Khaveen lie then? What proof is there its not a houx?

And what news sites?

PS- Website has been removed. Either move on or bring on the debate!

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#72 Post by Gronagor » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:08 pm

Hmmm... seems to me both are hoaxes.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#73 Post by Alias » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:09 pm

Gronagor wrote:Hmmm... seems to me both are hoaxes.
Both?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#74 Post by Erpy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:09 pm

Hmmm... so... who read KQ9's letter?
I had a talk with them and they mentioned the title of the one who sent them a c&d...which was correct. There's no way they could have found out that info through another way other than actually getting the letter.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#75 Post by Alias » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:10 pm

It must be a houx then. Simple as that, theres nothing I can do now.