Pumpkin merchant/Librarian

This forum is for discussion about KQII:RTS. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

swreese1
Peasant Status

Pumpkin merchant/Librarian

#1 Post by swreese1 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:29 am

No matter what I do to rescue the baby, it gets returned.  When I try to show the library card; same thing.

The Guy
Knight Status

#2 Post by The Guy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:17 am

swreese1 wrote:No matter what I do to rescue the baby, it gets returned.
I believe you are referring to the baby pumpkin.  In order to take the baby pumpkin you need to distract the "merchant".  To do that you need to remember what he was doing upon entering the village, as well as have a certain item in your inventory.  

swreese1 wrote:When I try to show the library card; same thing.
For the library card, it all has to do with a small amount of timing on your part(which, of course, you are given plenty of).  If you do not know what I'm talking about, take a look at the library card in your inventory and then look around in the library for the needed item.

Also, there is a hint/walkthrough guide on the main AGDI site.  Just go to the KQ2VGA section and scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen.  I don't really want to flat out tell you what to do, just trying to give you a few hints so that maybe you will still figure it out yourself.  Hope this helps somewhat, enjoy the game!!

swreese1
Peasant Status

#3 Post by swreese1 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:06 am

I followed the walkthrough, but Graham keeps returning the baby pumpkin.  And I still can't understand how to sign the library card.

The Guy
Knight Status

#4 Post by The Guy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:20 am

Hmm, just what exactly are you doing in the area where you have to retrieve the baby pumpkin?  And did you happen to talk to the mother pumpkin at all?  As for the library card, it's a very simple thing.  All you have to do is wait for the librarian to turn away, then click the hand icon on the quill that's on the counter.  Graham should quickly sign the card, then you should be able to show it to the librarian right after that.

swreese1
Peasant Status

#5 Post by swreese1 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:41 am

I talked to the mother pumpkin, I talked to the merchant, I put the fools gold in the fountain, I pick-up the baby pumpkin and try to leave town or go the the library, but Graham keeps putting the pumpkin back.  Should I slow the speed of the game?

The Guy
Knight Status

#6 Post by The Guy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:54 am

Did you happen to talk to the merchant after putting the fools gold into the fountain?  That should be the only other thing you need to do.  After you put the fools gold in the fountain, just talk to the merchant again and he should go the fountain to try and take the fake coins, then you should be able to to take the baby pumpkin since he will be distracted doing that.  The game speed has nothing to do with that part.

swreese1
Peasant Status

#7 Post by swreese1 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:01 am

Did everything according to the walkthrough, but Graham keeps returning the pumpkin.  Found the pen, by the way.

adeyke

#8 Post by adeyke » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:16 am

You just have to be quick about it.  It might help if you immediately enter the library after picking up the baby, since it's closer.

The Guy
Knight Status

#9 Post by The Guy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:22 am

If you take too long getting the baby pumpkin the merchant will go to sit down and it will make Graham put the pumpkin back automatically.  I've tried it myself just now 5 different times and had no problem at all.  As soon as the merchant goes for the fools gold, get the baby pumpkin and go in the library or exit the town the second you get it.  I can't really think of why the game is giving you such a hard time at this part.  If need be, try starting a new game and try out just that part.  Get the fools gold, head straight towards town, throw it in the fountain, tell the merchant, get the baby pumpkin, and haul your butt out of there.

swreese1
Peasant Status

#10 Post by swreese1 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:45 am

The library was the only way out.  Thanks.

The Guy
Knight Status

#11 Post by The Guy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:59 am

Hey, no problem, always glad to help out.  I just can't think of why you couldn't get out of town with the pumpkin.  Did you have the game speed all the way up?  That may be a factor, but I don't think it should have hindered you at all.  Well if you have any further problems let us know.

swreese1
Peasant Status

#12 Post by swreese1 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:27 am

I have the trident, but when I try to escape, I'm eaten by Sharkee's.  Walkthrough suggests using trident on wall.  There is no time to do that.

The Guy
Knight Status

#13 Post by The Guy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:33 am

Actually, you have no choice but to use the trident on the wall.  The second you are through the wall illusion, use the trident on the wall and that should do it.

swreese1
Peasant Status

#14 Post by swreese1 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:51 am

Used the Trident to seal the door, but can't find my way back to Neptune.

The Guy
Knight Status

#15 Post by The Guy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:01 am

That's a very simple procedure.  All you have to do is go as far east as you can, then depending how north or south you are when you happen upon the wall, you just go north or south until you find the opening that allows you to east once more and you should be at Neptune's kingdom.  I believe it will bring you automatcally to the throne room.

swreese1
Peasant Status

#16 Post by swreese1 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:15 am

No matter how fast I search the black cloak and obtain the items and cover the bird and un-lock and capture, Hagatha sees me.  Don't recall the original asking for so much speed.

The Guy
Knight Status

#17 Post by The Guy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:28 am

She can capture you if you move too close to her or if she happens to finish her little chant.  Have you been playing with the game speed all the way up?  It should be a fairly easy thing to do what's needed in the cave and then leave as soon you have the necessary items.

swreese1
Peasant Status

#18 Post by swreese1 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:30 am

I have tried every possible way to get the nightengale.  Reminds me of the merchant and baby pumpkin.  Something's missing here.  Can't understand why you don't give the character more time in some of the scenes.  Unless you can offer me a viable solution, I will have to be content with the memory of the original game, which, to my recollection, never made such time demands.

The Guy
Knight Status

#19 Post by The Guy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:28 am

This version of KQII differs greatly from the original.  So anything you may remember from it just disregard for this game.  As for Hagatha's cave, hopefully you saved it before you had entered.  The best way to go through this part is to hug along the north wall, get the items in the cloak, move over towards the bird cage, put the cloth on the cage, use the key to unlock it, pick it up, and head for the exit.  If you do everything in rapid succession, you should be able to leave before she finishes chanting her spell.  I can't think of a better way to explain it for you.

swreese1
Peasant Status

#20 Post by swreese1 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:44 pm

Still can't get out.  So long.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#21 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:02 pm

If you have the ability to upload your savegame file, I'm sure someone could play through that section, save it, and re-upload the savegame for you.

swreese1
Peasant Status

#22 Post by swreese1 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:36 am

Seems unfair, but I would be willing.  I have tried to complete the game honestly, but the Hagatha scene is most perplexing.

swreese1
Peasant Status

#23 Post by swreese1 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:39 am

Never mind.  I deleted the game and the saved game file.  So frustrating.  Thanks for your attempt.

The Guy
Knight Status

#24 Post by The Guy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:24 am

You shouldn't give up so easily.  I believe you were trying to rush through the game from the sound of it.  You should at least give it another go.  I restarted another game to catch up to where you were and it took me only two tries to get through Hagatha's cave.  I still have yet to see the batmobile though, been trying to get the easter egg to run, but I guess it doesn't want to.  If you decide to try the game again, I do have the game saved right after leaving Hagatha's cave.  So if you want, I could send you the save file.  You really should try to complete the game, it's very fun and nicely put together.