What QFG class do you use?

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Fighter
6%
Mage
18%
Thief
28%
Paladin
18%
Combination
31%

Total votes: 68

Rincewood
Peasant Status

#1 Post by Rincewood » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:55 am

Do you enjoy swing your sword, crushing those hordes of stupid goblins standing in your path?

Does the temptation of controlling the mystic energies, and the absolute powers full you with ecstasy?

Or is the shadows your home and the chance to fence off some poor smucks goods your life goal?

Are you the righteous type who would go to battle with a flaming sword and a unyielding sense of honour?

I'm a Jack-of-all trades guy. In QGF1 I start with a thief then add points to all his skills (meaning I don't start with any on 0).

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#2 Post by Alias » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:50 am

Wasen't there been a poll on this already?

I would choose paladin. Because of the fighting abilities and the superb essential powers.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#3 Post by Swift » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:02 am

I always play as a pure mage.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#4 Post by Gronagor » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:21 pm

Fighter/Warrior
It's the only pure hero among the classes!

Radiant
Knight Status

#5 Post by Radiant » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:30 pm

I do tend to play the games thrice, each with the pure classes. IMHO cross-skilling detracts from the experience, but YMMV.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Alias » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:20 pm

Swift wrote:I always play as a pure mage.
Same here I would choose mage over Paladin if I had the chance but it depends. The Mage fits the QFG universe well, there is so much magic in the game it self not being a magic user sucks.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#7 Post by Boogeyman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:27 pm

I'm a warrior-magician.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Extra answer

#8 Post by Brainiac » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:36 pm

Where's the "all of the above" option? :D

Lira Lindriel
Knight Status

#9 Post by Lira Lindriel » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:34 pm

I usually prefer the wizard - though I've tried pretty much everything in all five games. (With exception of a pure fighter maybe.)

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#10 Post by Ghost_Rider » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:18 am

I picked combination because it's closest to "all of the above"... if that had been a choice I would have picked that along with Brainiac.  

I guess my favourite is a Paladin/Mage combination, but I like to play through with each individual character as well.  QFG is my favourite Sierra game series.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#11 Post by Charlemagne » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:42 am

I usually play as a wizard/paladin. I've never really understood the logic of arbitrarily restricting a player's abilities.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#12 Post by Ghost_Rider » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:04 am

I guess maybe for a challenge... or to try to solve some of the puzzles/complete tasks using different methods and abilities.  That's why I've tried playing through with each type with no combinations.  However, I do prefer playing with combinations.

Logic Probe
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Logic Probe » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:33 am

Hey!!!!! Does no one plays the theif??????? I dont beleive it!!!! The theif is the real hero in my view, he has no magic or outstanding strength. He is purely intellegence and uses skills that any other human can do which seems fair. I mean.... King Graham can't kill goblins with fireballs or Larry can't remove large stones from cave openings. I think that playing the theif makes you the real hero. Plus, sneaking around in the dark and stealing gives you great satisfaction.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#14 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:13 am

Theif all the way man. it's the only class I play. I give him magic suer but just for certain spells like juggling lights and his magic skill never breaks 50.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#15 Post by jpnuar1 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:14 am

In QFG1, thief, since its the only class that can get all skills.  (and thus get to all parts of the game, since nothing is unique to a class, only to certain skills.
QFG2, I've barely played (not enough experience with typing games), so I don't really know which I'd pick.
QFG3, I tend to chose paladin, since he has more stuff than the fighter, and the other two classes hardly get to do squat in the game.
QFG4, I haven't beaten yet, and when I do play it, I tend to try things equally as the Magic User, Thief, and Paladin.
QFG5 I've never played.
IRL, I'd probably end up as a fighter (even if magic user was an option) although I'd try to put a few points into magic use, if I could (but then, who wouldn't? lol)

In QFG 3 and up, is there even any reason to play a figher at all? It would seem that paladins are just so much better in every respect....

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#16 Post by KKuhlman » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:37 pm

Yeah, atleast in 5. Playing with a paladin is pretty darn boring since the Paladin Way - Road to Honor(TM) is doing things peacefully, and you mostly end up pressing quickbuttons for 'Peace' or 'Awe'-ability. And thanks to that drugstore hippie and his cheap stamina pills, you'll have no trouble doing it.
Only a couple of times I actually had to do something else during the quests.

Atleast a regular fighter can just merrily go and crush, kill and maim everything that looks at him funnily.

But about the topic, thieves and magic users rule, hands down.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#17 Post by Peter Swinkels » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:57 pm

I usually play as a thief, but I usually try to use a bit of as many skills as the game will allow. In Quest for Glory I I can use a bit of every skill as a thief except the parry skill.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#18 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:15 pm

so basically a  theif with magic seeing as how they start with almost all the skills anyways.

The Avatar
Knight Status

So, You Want To Be A Hero?

#19 Post by The Avatar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:55 am

I was a paladin before the game came out.  Fighting for the good and wielding a flaming sword of justice before mine enemies is first nature to me.  Upholding honor based on ones own personal sense of righteousness is what makes heroes, and by example that is what I am.  Your Kin not your King, my way is the path less trodden, protecting the weak in a land of tyranny.  If hope dost fall from sight, call on The Avatar and all will be made right.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Wow...

#20 Post by Brainiac » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:10 am

Avatar, I had no idea you were such a goody-two-shoes.

Your speech was so saccharine, it gave me diabetes. :lol

Jafar
Super Star

Re: So, You Want To Be A Hero?

#21 Post by Jafar » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:25 am

The Avatar wrote:I was a paladin before the game came out. Fighting for the good and wielding a flaming sword of justice before mine enemies is first nature to me. Upholding honor based on ones own personal sense of righteousness is what makes heroes, and by example that is what I am. Your Kin not your King, my way is the path less trodden, protecting the weak in a land of tyranny. If hope dost fall from sight, call on The Avatar and all will be made right.
*Applauds*
You're an inspiration to all of us! :p

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by Jenkins Loo » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:44 am

It depends of my shape.

I prefer a thief with magic skills.

The thief is quite a challenge in QFG. Like in Dark Project, Professionals" never use violence unless desperate situations forces you to. Probably the most difficult character to use but the most entertaining too. You get to explore mysterious places you would never access to if you take another profession. How puzzles will be solved and how many there are.

However I have the project to make a jack-of-all trade fighter, the most difficult one to make ( avoid having climb skill until you read a book on climbing in QFG4, you might lost some points ).

The Paladin makes me think of some combination between mage and fighter but I wonder if I can't use thieves skill if the paladin has some.

Also, because the honesty the paladin needs for his powers, it forces me to avoid thieving, I can't even get the healing potion in QFG4 in the monastery, the narrator forbid me to break the glass!

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#23 Post by Ghost_Rider » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:25 am

Yep, you're right - the Paladin can have thief skills, but in most cases you lose Honor (Honour) points for behaving like a thief.

That's one great thing about QFG.  There are three pure classes, later four including the Paladin - but there are even more once you get into combinations.

rabadi
Peasant Status

#24 Post by rabadi » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:12 am

Paladin-Mage hybrid for me. Second choice will be Thief-Mage hybrid. For QfG1 I use Fighter-Mage hybrid. Basically, a combination of Mage and another class.

Jadall
Peasant Status

#25 Post by Jadall » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:34 am

I'd play fighter base class and add all skills usually skipping out on sneak, or pick locks and i did pretty good like that.. the hardest in the first game is probably the magician. next the theif. then the fighter type class probably easiest. A tip for the fighter magical person is to throw your shield away at beginning of game get good at dodging. by near the end of the game i could knock a pretty tuff monster (like the guy outside kobalds) with a blast or 2 from flame dart. It's always fun to play all the classes or a combination of.. Oh and the other thing about tossing shield the main reason is. You can't cast holding the shield if you are doing warrior w/ magic. and most if not all of the things in qfg1 with all of the 3 character types. but it's more fun to just bash everything sometimes.. (except that bouncing dude never did get him LOL)