Problem about stopping my computer

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

Problem about stopping my computer

#1 Post by Jenkins Loo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:35 pm

I've got a huge problem on my computer.

Each time I tried to stop my computer, it never stopped or it takes eternity before it stopped. And now it never stop and it restart the cpu even when clicking the right option.

The thing I tried to improvise is to "restart" the cpu, then unplug the cpu so I'm sure it is stopped and I don't get a hard disk erreur checking but it doesn't solve the restarting stuff.

I suspect that re-installing win98 without formating was my first mistake but I suspect that some unwanted files are responsible of this.

I know that my hard disk always ( should ? ) have 27 files + 15 hidden. I won't list all the files but could you tell me which are vital for the cpu and which ones are useless and dangerous?

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#2 Post by Pidgeot » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:46 pm

Just because something's in the root of the drive doesn't necessarily mean it has any impact in such a case.

It's more likely that something's hidden in your Windows folder. Go to http://merijn.org/ and get HijackThis. Make a log and post it in a specialized tech forum or here, if you want me to look at it.

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Jenkins Loo » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:41 pm

Ok, I've looked around and there are some results. Someone told me about ad-aware, clean up, regseeker, anti-virus ( I tried but it doesn't work ). I still keep in mind what Pidgeot suggested but I haven't tried yet.

Searching further, I found on a site that, using "execute" in the menu "start" ( I don't know exactly what english words you use ), then typing "regedit", you can modify the cpu like impeach someone to start internet, remove one or two options.

So here's my idea and some questions; Is it possible to use "regedit" to enter the line about "procedure of stopping"? Is a "stopping procedure" missing in the regedit is missing? Does one of you could show me where is located and how the line "possible missing" line is made?

I feel I'm near the goal.

I'm opened to any suggestions you could make

Thank you Pidgeot :)

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Pidgeot » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:04 pm

It's true that you can do many things through the registry, including starting programs or modifying behavior, but nothing should impact shutting down your computer. Even if there was something like that, it might be very hard to find. (Unfortunately, it's not as simple as "modifying a line".)

A word of warning: Don't change anything with Regedit unless you know what you're doing, as it's very easy to break something.