What's Your Favourite Quest For Glory Game?

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

What's Your Favourite Original Quest For Glory Game?

So You Want To Be A Hero
7%
So You Want To Be A Hero (Remake)
3%
Trial By Fire
28%
Wages Of War
4%
Shadows Of Darkness
50%
Dragon Fire
7%

Total votes: 68

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

What's Your Favourite Quest For Glory Game?

#1 Post by Music Head » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:57 am

Whats your favourite Quest For Glory game?
Mine would have to be Trial By Fire...

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#2 Post by Swift » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:30 am

'Shadows of Darkness' for me.

The Talking Skull
Peasant Status

#3 Post by The Talking Skull » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:10 am

I consider Wages of War and Shadows of Darkness one game. And they are the best. I vote for QFG3 because of the brilliant setting, inspiring music and great visuals.

akanucho
Peasant Status

#4 Post by akanucho » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:19 pm

I was introduced to the QFG series about the time that the QFG1 remake was released.  I had possibly seen them earlier, but that was the first time I really got a chance to play them for myself.

So You Want To Be A Hero was a wonderful start, clearly showing the potential that the series had, but I have to admit that while the tongue-in-cheek humor helped to set the stage and make the game what it is, it was slightly too pervasive in the sense that you couldn't avoid the rampant silliness if you didn't care for it.

Trial by Fire had just the right amount of silliness while giving the first me the first true sense of adventure.  I think the fact that the calendar of game events was predetermined gave a needed sense of urgency that the first game sorely lacked.  In QFG1 you could spend as much time as you wanted hunting Goblins and training all your attributes up to 100.  In QFG2, the focus of the game shifted from the hero to the adventure.  You couldn't waste time on yourself; you had to work hard to succeed because the game wouldn't wait on you any more.  Like many people say, QFG2 had one of the best plotlines of the series, but the fact that the graphics were behind their time (It had to compete with KQV) was a very visible flaw in the game design.

Wages of War was graphically fabulous.  I still love the first picture that you get of the city of Tarna.  So much grandeur, and dare I say it, pride.  The story was also very well constructed.  The level of detail in the plot was on part with QFG2, but QFG3 also managed to have a very well developed theme.  I'm not referring to the setting, because QFG2 had a very well established Arabian/Desert setting, but where the theme of QFG2 was simply 'Find evil and defeat it', QFG3 showed that sometimes a Hero is needed even when the parties involved don't want one.  The Liontaurs, the Simbani and the Leopardmen were content to go to war with each other.  It wasn't until the intervention of the Hero that they realized they had another option.

Shadows of Darkness was a return to QFG's roots.  While darker and gloomier than QFG1, it still managed to recover a lot of the silliness that had been phased out over QFG2 and QFG3.  It also had the reduced scope of the first game (just one small valley), and the relaxed calendar that let you progress at your own speed.  The obvious need for a Hero from the first two QFG games was also back, but this time there was a definite villain.

Unfortunately, I have not to this day played Dragonfire in any depth.

As to my particular favorite, I think that I have to choose Wages of War.  Maybe it had something to do with the grandeur of Tarna and the majesty of the Mother Tree.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that you have to save people despite the possibility of being rejected by those same people because of their own prejudices.  Or, maybe it is just because I have this thing about Lost Cities, especially of the overrun by Jungle variety.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#5 Post by Vroomfondel » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:24 pm

I have to say that QFGV is my favorite. Even though it was rushed and it seems that things were crammed together at the last minute, I think it is a pretty goody game. I also liked the fact that it was long. QFG3 was too short for my liking.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#6 Post by Spikey » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:08 am

Shadows of bugs for me.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#7 Post by Ghost_Rider » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:27 am

Shadows for me too.  I like the feel of that game the best.

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Jenkins Loo » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:38 pm

There isn't a possibility for a neutral/all of above vote!

QG1old have more interesting music, especially the "thief song" while you're in a house. That song almost completely disappeared in the remake but at least, for someone who isn't born in an english-speaking country, it is quite a lot more easier to use. You even get to work for a very bad pay at the stables, I did like that and the "hard luck" song ( still better in original QG1 than in the remake ). The right clicking in the original makes the character "to look at something", very useful since the description helped to know what is it. The only thing about QG1remake I didn't like were the songs that was too quieter for me. The thieve's license could have been more useful

Qfg2 though I would have liked more things to do ( useful or not ). Maybe more break-in for such a huge place with many doors to open ( Beside making sure you're lost or for lockpicking training, they're useless ). As if there would be many more places to be. I wouldn't say anything about the musics, all them fitted so well in the game, even Tom's music remakes sounds the same for me. I didn't like that Shapeir had too many streets with no people when you're not crossing an intersection. You didn't had the possibility to ask someone to take you to the money changer. Also, that's too bad the thieve's license was useless while our pockets doesn't allow many things when you're a fighter.

One thing I would have liked about Keapon was to annoy him; I wanted to see him humiliating me but you didn't had the possibility to draw your sword and more things to buy even if it is useless for the quest. Oh, and if you could have more food specialities ( if any ) + a menu, with the possibility to say yes/no if you want pepper, salt with two sugar and some milk in my coffee, thank you!

QGF3 makes me remember I didn't had my suntan this year. I'm always curious about places you're not/never allowed in. The lion part were forbidden because you're not "the race that is allowed in this part". Great music, great graphics with the panoramic view, with interesting thoughts. I liked the way you stop the thief whatever the class you take, especially using the fruit basket. The conversations was the best part of QG3, really creative.

QFG4 gives less the "feeling" of freedom; you quickly know your limits, you can see a lot of people when the gypsy is going to burn, very strange for a too small town, a bad part for me. But the awesome part is that they remembered the "Freddy Pharkas mixing objects together" and decided to use it in QG4, even if what you tried don't work, you're rewarded for trying something, it's just so fun, so cool!! The house of Dr Cranium was lovely. The song of thief had another good and more humorous version!! The "Chief Thief" was a someone funny to help seeing how clusmy he was in his job! Slaying the old man directed you to the death message and you'll never know how the thief lives with his conscience for the rest of his life. Some death messages looked too good!!

QFG5 always had some good music, I prefer when you're listening when you're at FA's ( Famous Adventurer's ) house. There was a lot of improvement about spells and RPG-Style. Even if I agree about some flaws, I think QFG5 got it's place in the QFG series, it always hurt me when series come to an end.

It seems I like "Shadows" in fact, I'm going to vote it right away.

The Talking Skull
Peasant Status

#9 Post by The Talking Skull » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:16 pm

Its impossible to pick a favourite because Iw ould consider QFG3-5 one game dues to their endings. And those are my favourite three.  ;)

rabadi
Peasant Status

#10 Post by rabadi » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:18 am

My fave is QfG5, because I really like it, not because I played it first, since I actually played it after playing QfG3. The order I played is QfG3, QfG5, QfG4, and finally QfG1. I haven't played QfG2, which is why I am looking forward to AGDI remake ;)

My second fave is QfG1. I consider QfG3 tie in the third place with QfG4.

The Avatar
Knight Status

favorite QFG...

#11 Post by The Avatar » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:07 pm

Well, I played them all in order.  QFG2 was by far my favorite.  Why?  Well, because he was a prince for one. . Two, the saurus riding to speed up travel was ingenious.  Three, The size of the city; with its maze of streets and alleyways.. it reminds me of how I felt in every city I ever visited overseas.. totally lost in a strange world, with strange people..  Wonderfully realistic.  I also have a thing for mazes..  after the first day, I was navigating the city like my own hometown!  And being able to practice my own 'direction sense' - it was immensely gratifying to me to have learned the paths.  I've also been in love with desert locations since I was a little kid.  So QFG2 has always been very special to me.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#12 Post by Gronagor » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:50 am

I agree completely! :)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Opinion

#13 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:07 am

I still stand by what I said in the A Serious QFG Poll thread.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#14 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:40 am

I was just going to say "Didn't I make a huge QFG poll very simmilar to this last summer?" oh well I liked the first one because I spent the most time on it. It took me years to finally beat. Try 1997-2004

The Avatar
Knight Status

Picking favorites

#15 Post by The Avatar » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:42 pm

Wow.. Brainiac.. that older poll shows me answering differently ;)  Going back and reading my opinion two years ago, I think I have convincing arguments for both of them.. so maybe my official stance should be, I like both 2 & 3.   I think it's interesting how I'd vote one way one year, and a different way the next.  Has to do with what elements come to mind in considering the reasoning behind my answers I guess.  I wonder if there's a significant change that occured in my life between these two polls that affected my thoughts toward one answer or the other.  <ponders>

Jadall
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Jadall » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:21 am

I love all of the games but chose qfg1 because i just liked it and had played it so much I did absolutly everything you possibly could do in that game.. I'm so happy to see the qfg2 game is coming out the kings quest games you guys made were grand even tho unfortunatly it wasn't my favorite after playing qfg games. kq1 was first pc game i ever played on a tandy computer and it brings back great memories. I played a lot of 1-3 and never really played a whole lot of 4 or 5.. i think the game pack i bought several years ago had qfg 1-4 and a demo of 5 which didn't run good as i was poor and didn't have a good computer at the time.. I have a copy of "hero's Quest" somewhere that is when i first played it..
Thanks so much guys for keeping the memories alive and to know i wasn't the only one who loved these games.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#17 Post by Gronagor » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:04 pm

Quest For Glory Fan, I'm pretty sure we have a similar poll every year, and on every QfG forum out there. :)
But yours beat this one. One point for you! :)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#18 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:55 pm

lol it's because people still posted in mine untill about October of  2005 and I created it around July of 2004

FrostFlameFlare
Peasant Status

Re: What's Your Favourite Quest For Glory Game?

#19 Post by FrostFlameFlare » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:34 pm

I voted for IV because I love the story and the characters. I don't like 3 all that much because it seemed like a filler game to me. QfG2 was awesome and so was 4, but 3 was just about par.

Dasilva
Peasant Status

#20 Post by Dasilva » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:29 pm

To me QFG is my favourite series so I love all the games just as much, but for me its a two-way-tie between QFG3 & QFG4.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

Re:

#21 Post by Music Head » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:08 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:lol it's because people still posted in mine untill about October of  2005 and I created it around July of 2004
This one however, Dec 2005 - Aug 2008 :lol ;) . This is another poll I had forgotten I made aswell. What's with the sudden revising of old polls?
My favourite QFG game has since become QFG1VGA. First adventure game I ever played. :)

JustLuke32
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by JustLuke32 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:28 pm

Quest for Glory III doesn't get enough love. Despite its shortcomings, it's my favourite game in the series. This is because the setting, the storyline, the writing, the artwork, and the music work together to create a wonderfully rich and evocative atmosphere. The overhead map approach to wilderness travel worked very well, too. Sure, the thief got shortchanged, and, yes, the combat system was attrocious, but I can forgive all these flaws. Quest for Glory III is a great game, and only rivalled by Quest for Glory II.

CrazyStalker
Peasant Status

#23 Post by CrazyStalker » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:53 pm

Quest for Glory I: An all-around good game. I liked the free-roaming nature of it and everything you could do in the valley. For me, it was the one who treated the thief class the best, except maybe for QFG4.

Quest for Glory II: Hated the city-maze, but the main adventure is pretty good. It even had X-ray glasses! But I found it quite weird that in Raseir the game was basically Casablanca meets The Maltese Falcon.

Quest for Glory III: Let's see... a tight plot like QFG2, but slighty worse quality. The game felt kinda rushed and empty to me, and the thief has almost nothing to do except sneak around enemies.

Quest for Glory IV: Now, this is a gem of a game... great dialogs combined with a good plot all-around, a quite dark mood even though I think it has the funniest stuff in all of the series, and great music. Lots of stuff to do for the thief and a great quest for the paladin. This gets my vote.

Quest for Glory V: Now, this is quite different... this kinda works if you see it as a pure RPG instead of a hybrid, but it's a departure from the rest of the series... it had it's moments, like fighting in the arena, lots of thieving (With an active guild, this time!) and the addition of the Blackjack weapon for thieves (Which I loved) Overall, I'd say I liked it better than QFG3, but that may be just me. Seeing my lovable rogue character become the king of Silmaria and the leader of the Thieves' Guild was a nice ending. ;)

Rocier
Peasant Status

#24 Post by Rocier » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:55 am

I Voted for the original. It was (and still is, sadly) revolutionary.

#2 rocked too. Although, I could never figure out what the benifit to being a thief was! Still don't know if there are any places you can rob.

#3 This game plays out like a hippy on an acid trip. From the "pool of peace" to the deamons (wtf was that about?). Still a great game, but c'mon.

#4 SO much fun. Great story. Best atmosphere ever! Close close second.

#5 The fact that 3 people voted for this game at the time of this post makes me sick. Shame on you. :x

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#25 Post by Brainiac » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:05 am

Rocier wrote:#2 rocked too. Although, I could never figure out what the benifit to being a thief was! Still don't know if there are any places you can rob.
What, you never showed the Thief Sign to Dinarzad in Shapeir or Ferrari in Raseir? Try it in the remake; you'll get your answer.