I want no more quest games..

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

Great dialogue!

#26 Post by Jontas » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:36 am

There's some fantastic conversation here. I'm mostly a quiet observer around here, but I'm a huge fan of the classic adventure games.

One of the biggest reasons I've been so eagerly awaiting the release of the fan project "The silver lining"(formerly KQIX) is because it offers a sense of closure to the entire series. It hadn't even occured to me how much I wanted some closure out of the series until this project began.

If there were any reason for Sierra to return to making Kings Quest, Police quest or Quest for Glory Games, I feal it should be for that reason. I want to know how it ends for King Graham, Sonny Bonds and The Hero. Space Quest was different it was all about parody, Roger Wilco could live forever, making fun of every Sci-Fi wander that comes our way.

QFGV could have offered closure to the whole series if it did'nt end the way it did. Wouldn't you like to actualy own a Kings Quest (or whichever) collection that feels complete, like all the games in it come together to tell the whole story from beginning to end.

That all for now my brain just shut down.

Major Malfunktion
Peasant Status

#27 Post by Major Malfunktion » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:08 am

(not sure if this makes me the enemy or not)

personally, i recently played a bit of "fable", and got to thinking..
the fact you can decide good-evil, dictate your appearance and skills, and semi-change the story, i thought to myself, "Self.." i thought, "This sort of technology and ideas would be much better when applied to a solid story, a true quest game, instead of a story made specifically to use the new technology and concepts"

I got to thinking more...

Combining all 5 quest for glory games, in one enormous 3d world, first becoming a hero, moving onto becoming a desert-prince, a tribal-war-stopper, etc...

further thinking...

From the beginning, your decisions decide what type of character you are, not a click of three choices, and following a story through either properly, or from an evil spin, or from whatever, the stories can still fit together, and run in succession...

Basically, there is an unignorable amount of potential for one enormous and great, nay, BRILLIANT game, with the same humour being able to be applied, replayability, challenges, mind-jobs, brilliant story-lines, etc...

Sadly, chances are it'd turn out as a total raping of the game, and come out awful...

But if someone could get it right, i mean, SPOT-on perfect, with a lot of care and love put into it, a fable-styled QFG world, but a damn-site better than fable, could be brilliant...

Truly, brilliant... It could simply be titled "The Quest For Glory" and have five major parts to the game...

Man, don't get me started on the specific ideas i had, heheheh...

Alas, it clearly won't happen.
oh well.

....... aaaand i'm over it.

(starts playing QFG1)

Defiant1
Peasant Status

#28 Post by Defiant1 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:27 am

Ahh, would be very cool.  It wouldn't have to be another tiresome series, it could just be huge.  It could be the course of the hero's adult life, from late teens onward.  None of this old and young stage Zelda crap either. ;)  

I would love to see that happen, what bothers me about some of those open-end games that deal with character interaction and good and evil, is that they tend to elaborate so far into the evil and fill the game's precious content with stuff that isnt' worth delving into (yet IS always delved into because of curiousity), and sort of leaving the "good" path sorta bland.  I actually think it would be much more interesting to leave it more on a career by career basis, and really elaborate on those career choices.  Think of how fun it would be to become the ulti-thief, from the beginning fo the career.  Or training to be a Paladin, or apprenticing to be a wizard.  

And while we're still dreaming?  It should have a really sweet menu.  

Defiance

spacedcase
Peasant Status

#29 Post by spacedcase » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:01 pm

I agree, I think exploring the different paths would be really fantastic. I actually had an idea for a game that was sort of Quest for Glory, sort of not. More like a spin-off than a sequel.

It would take place after QfG 5, and instead of picking a thief, you would pick one of the fabulous ladies from the series: Nawar, Elsa, or Katrina. The premise would be that the Hero ended up leaving Silmaria (I'd like to do a thing sort of like in KotOR 2, where there's dialogue in the beginning that tells the game what choices YOU made in QfG 5: ie, class and choosing the throne). Katrina has been reconnecting on her island, Elsa takes up the mantle of leadership in his absence, Nawar is head of the thieve's guild. For a vague reason I haven't worked out, the Hero disappeared without a trace. It begins with the lady of choice receiving a letter of mysterious origin, which spurs her on a quest, to save a world now missing a hero...

The entire game would focus a lot on the personalities of each woman, fighting their own battles and making their own stories (Katrina re-entering the Wizard world, perhaps finding a family at last; Elsa joining EoF and struggling with the mantle of leadership; Nawar putting aside selfish wants and understanding the path the missing Hero had taken), and their becoming the hero. A sort of "heroes are everywhere" exploration of the nature of good, and the power of redemption.

Also, you fight evil and save the world. Naturally.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Semi-sequel

#30 Post by Brainiac » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:30 am

Not a bad idea, spacedcase, but you forgot the Paladin in all but name, the half-fae Archmagess Erana.  Would she be a "hidden" character much like the Paladin was a "hidden" class?

spacedcase
Peasant Status

#31 Post by spacedcase » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:29 am

Yeah, I know I left out Erana, I figured if she was in it, it would be as a 'hidden' class. Three of them is a daunting thought as is. ;)

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

Re: Great dialogue!

#32 Post by Spikey » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:50 pm

Jontas wrote:One of the biggest reasons I've been so eagerly awaiting the release of the fan project "The silver lining"(formerly KQIX) is because it offers a sense of closure to the entire series. It hadn't even occured to me how much I wanted some closure out of the series until this project began.
Quest for Glory 4 ended so strange, it was screaming for a rounding up sequel. I think QFG5 did fairly well. King's Quest was very, very unsatisfying. Graham and Alexander don't make an appearance in KQVII, and Graham only briefly in VIII. So many loose ends that it hurts my brains when I think about it.

Broomie
The Enigma

Re: Great dialogue!

#33 Post by Broomie » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:52 am

Spikey wrote:
Jontas wrote:One of the biggest reasons I've been so eagerly awaiting the release of the fan project "The silver lining"(formerly KQIX) is because it offers a sense of closure to the entire series. It hadn't even occured to me how much I wanted some closure out of the series until this project began.
Quest for Glory 4 ended so strange, it was screaming for a rounding up sequel. I think QFG5 did fairly well. King's Quest was very, very unsatisfying. Graham and Alexander don't make an appearance in KQVII, and Graham only briefly in VIII. So many loose ends that it hurts my brains when I think about it.
Actually, although it wasn't in the final game there was a voice clip of Graham during the introduction which was found on the CD which was him saying "Ladies, come in! You're late for dinner." or something like that. So he wasn't actually in the game, nor heard, yet at least somebody thought about Graham for a second. ;) (ever wonder why his name was in the credits?)

ChaosBurnFlame
Royal Servant Status

#34 Post by ChaosBurnFlame » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:13 am

Ya know, I don't think the old Sierra type adventure game can really be made unless there's a REALLY good team doing it.

I mean, anyone heard what Al Lowe had to say about the latest LSL game?

Lets just asy when Al Lowe says something is without class, you KNOW you've been dissed.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#35 Post by Spikey » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:44 pm

Yes Brooms, I knew that. I've wondered for a long time back then on my internetless Windows 3.11 computer if I was missing out on something in the game.

Broomie
The Enigma

#36 Post by Broomie » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:53 am

Spikey wrote:Yes Brooms, I knew that. I've wondered for a long time back then on my internetless Windows 3.11 computer if I was missing out on something in the game.
Yeah, but people have to say certain facts so everyone can read them, I was pretty sure you knew yourself yet I thought I'd add a little extra to what you said. Many people might not have known that. ;)

El Ravager
Knight Status

#37 Post by El Ravager » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:32 pm

Gronagor wrote:
El Ravager wrote:QfG5 ended up pleasing no one? That's news to me. It was my very favourite of the entire series...
Did you play QfG5 first?
Heh. Perhaps I shouldn't have disappeared from online existence for the past month; I'm sure this is no longer a burning question that must be answered lest the forces of evil swarm o'er the land in a desparate struggle to see who can develop the most delicious cheeze-whiz. Or something.

Anyway, in answer to your question, no. I played the entire series from beginning to end, pretty much just as they were released. Dragon Fire I played last, and though it was a short while before it overtook Trial by Fire in its esteemed position as favourite QfG game, it did so quite efficiently. I can think of few PC games I've enjoyed more than Dragon Fire...

The Avatar
Knight Status

more quest games? Hmm..

#38 Post by The Avatar » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:27 pm

Oilers99 wrote:I dunno. Assuming that Sierra was crazy enough to revive Quest for Glory, King's Quest, Space Quest or whatever, they'd pander to fans ... They'd have to rely on old fans, and therefore, they wouldn't risk alienating them. However, there would have to be enough fans to make these games commercially profitable. Unfortunately, graphic adventure fans are a very small niche. :(
I think I'd definitely have to disagree with this one..  These old games have a bit of fame to them, which could help tremendously in advertising.. as for the pre-existing fan base niche, from a producer's perspective, they are almost guaranteed to buy the new game when it comes out - just to try it out because of their 'clever' advertising.  So in development, their main thoughts would be on how to design a game to appeal to a broader audience.

Therefore, I feel that a 'big company' would more likely develop a 3d medieval shooter that had quests you accomplish for a king.. and label that King's Quest 9.. than to make something like 'silver lining'  Basically, i think appealing to the large audience will come first on their priorities, leaving any designs to make it appeal to the old fans a secondary issue, almost an afterthought.   Afterall, they know what sells, and what doesn't.  3d action sells.. adventure does not.

Corsair
Royal Servant Status

#39 Post by Corsair » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:24 am

A 3D Medieval Shooter...based off KQ. *Shivers*

That would be a nightmare, and you're probably right. They wouldn't do it off SQ or QFG, and especially not PQ. Compared to King's Quest, hardly anyone would have heard of it.

How did QFG5 rate higher than 4 with you? It had no real good points. The voice-acting was cheesy, the plot was, to say the least, peculiar, the graphics were mediocre and off-key with the rest of the series, the combat was abysmal...

While, with four, it had good voice acting, a good plot with it's share of humor and..not humor, the graphics were exactly what they were supposed to be. I enjoyed the combat too, though it was a little too fast on my computer.

El Ravager
Knight Status

#40 Post by El Ravager » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:53 am

People always seem to rant and rave about the voice acting in QfG 4. It baffles me. I thought it was ok, as good as voice acting can be, but nothing spectacular. Certainly not significantly superior to that of Dragon Fire. Julanar and Katrina could've been far better in #5, I'll grant you that, but aside from that, I don't see the problem.

Dragon Fire's graphics are superior to its predecessors, and I don't see how anyone could claim otherwise. That the dialogue portraits are much smaller than those of SoD I'll grant you, but aside from that its graphics are better in every way. As for being off-key with the rest of the series, WoW and SoD have graphics that are "off-key" with SYWtbaH and TbF, so I don't see how this can be a legitimate argument.

If you ask me, the combat system is only second to that of Trial by Fire. 3's was absolutely terrible, and 1's wasn't far behind. 4's was a little entertaining at first, but I tired of it quickly.

I rather enjoy Dragon Fire's plot (I don't see how it's any worse than #1's or 3's in any way. 4 might have a bit of an edge on it, but not enough to be significant in my opinion.) Dragon Fire's soundtrack is undeniably the best in the series, and the interface, I thought, was just about ideal.

Then again, to each their own. I'm well aware that I'm in a vast minority with my order of preference, but there you have it...

princealexander
Peasant Status

#41 Post by princealexander » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:33 am

Erpy wrote:
Blame the fans for that one. Sierra held polls asking people which characters they wanted to see gain and everybody had a few requests to make. The Coles attempted to please everyone and in the end ended up pleasing no one.
Erpy, I definitely dont feel that way, the Coles Created an absolute legend when they created the QFG series! And I think that having all the characters all together again in QFG5 was like the Grand finale!

P.S. Cant wait for QFG2 remake (Ruff Snort Gurr Snarl Rip Munch!!!)

(HEHE)

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#42 Post by johnb4467 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:02 pm

El Ravager wrote: People always seem to rant and rave about the voice acting in QfG 4. It baffles me.

Dragon Fire's graphics are superior to its predecessors, and I don't see how anyone could claim otherwise.

If you ask me, the combat system is only second to that of Trial by Fire.

I rather enjoy Dragon Fire's plot

Dragon Fire's soundtrack is undeniably the best in the series
This is somewhat of an old thread, but it got resurrected & I rather like it...so I'll throw in my thoughts on what I thought some good thoughts (quoted above)

I didn't like the voice acting in 4 at all at first...but now I rather like it. I think I wasn't impressed by it because that was coming off the heels of KQ6 (amazing). I think in 5 they just had SO many characters returning (by poll demand) that needed voice acting that it didn't leave much room in hiring a top-notch cast for "main" characters...since they were all kinds of important (which, in the end, kinda makes them unimportant and cluttered -- doh!) ones returning.

Dragon Fire's graphics are definitely superior in the realm of being realistic, but I wouldn't call them better. My favorite look was QG4 -- very saturated and painterly artwork. Of course since I also like artwork of that nature, that makes sense (Frank Frazetta being a great example). I think everyone's biggest gripe about QG5's graphics is just the small, pixelized characters. I'd take that out of fans screaming "bad graphics".

Combat, QG5 had a lot of options, but again I think it's the small, pixelized characters that killed it. That and it just seemed that you'd kill something quickest by jamming a mouse button on one attach, instead of being varied and strategic (as I think was intended). Multiplayer would have changed that dynamic a lot.

As far as plot, well that's a tough one to judge. I think so much of it was dictated by the Coles having to resurrect so many past characters and TRYING to tie up their stories at the same time that it really killed any cohesive, strong storyline. Like I believe I mentioned in another thread...sometimes you fall so in love with characters that, if you were given the power to treat them however you wanted, in the end getting what you think you want isn't really, well...what you want.  :( Think Romeo and Juliet if they didn't die (sorry for the spoiler, lol)...who would remember that story? Or The Godfather series ending happily for "The Family"...just not the same.

haradan
Knight Status

Three words: Magna Cum Laude

#43 Post by haradan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:26 am

Hi, this is my first post in these forums, but I've reading (and been fairly entertained, I must add) for many months now.

I think the point in this discussion can be enlightened by the latest installment of LSL. If one year ago Vivendi had asked all Larry fans if they wanted a new game, we'd have screamed: YES PLEASE! thinking we would get the same good stuff of yesterday but with more technology. The result? MGC is the worst game EVER made that dares to disguise as an adventure and it actually makes you HATE Leisure Suit Larry! The same thing would happen if they offered a new Quest for Glory or KQ. They are going to give you what THEY want, not what you want.

Let's better stick with AGDI and keep waiting for QG2VGA even if it takes a couple of years more. (Just kidding, I really hope it WON'T take that long  ;)

powerbook76
Peasant Status

#44 Post by powerbook76 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:54 am

i'm not sure if it's me or it's because of the changes in adventure games these days.. but i just can't seem to get INTO the games..
I remember playing the original QFG for hours after hours enjoying so much of its story and content.. i remember playing KQ1~6 loving every bit of adventure.. i remember playing SQ1~4 reallying laughing through each scene as they were presented...  i remember playing GK1 reallying wanting to solve the puzzle.... etc etc..
the point is, i remember i really CARED for the characters and the siutations back then, whereas now i really can't seem to really "feel" like i'm part of the game..  games such as QFG5 just seemed BORING..

i'm sure my taste for games have changed since the 80s and 90s but i also really enjoyed the recent hits such as Runaway, and Broken Sword 3...

nice graphics and sounds are important, but making the player really care for the characters and the siutation has to be the most important thing..
instead of concentrating on creating 3-d enhanced "eye-candy" games such as the new Larry game (which btw wasn't great)...

Slarty Bardfast
Royal Servant Status

New Larry

#45 Post by Slarty Bardfast » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:20 pm

Great? It wasn't even good.  I felt like I was playing Mario 64, or simpsons hit n run. It was terrible. It's too bad the way the "rights" to these games work.  I wish there was something that could protect these games from the money grubbing leeches of today's gaming industry.  It's become the same as most entertainment medias like movies, music, and even books.  The indy stuff is usually done by someone who enjoys what they're producing, not a group of people who research the "demographic" of the "product" they're selling and if it will pull in suitable revenue.  I'm glad to see that some indy game companies are popping up as PC gaming becomes a solid part of mainstream culture

link5186
Peasant Status

#46 Post by link5186 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:10 am

Honestly, QG4 was my favorite (minus the bugs), followed by a tie between 5 and 1VGA. I don't mind that the series finally died off, but I really miss the humor. That's the one thing I think QG5 seemed to lack. It really seemed that no matter how corny some of the one-liners got, they still got a laugh. If I could find something with just a hint of that light-hearted humor on shelves today, I'd be happy. |I

jackal912
Peasant Status

#47 Post by jackal912 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:34 am

I played the first four QFGs (and some how managed to beat them o_O) when I was eight. And although i really ache on how sierra killed off the series, i really, truely, wish they COULD make a series that was true to the originals and was as great as the originals, even though it'll never happen.. =/  I drown in nostalgia for them, but the fun part about them was exploring and figuring things out, just replaying them when you know what to do is.. sigh.