Highest score on Monolith Burger sequence (SQ4)

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Highest score on Monolith Burger sequence (SQ4)

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:38 am

(almost) Random wondering here. I was wondering how high anybody has gotten in the Monolith Burger job arcade sequence in Space Quest 4. My score is $100.00.

And for all you nay-sayers, here's an (unedited) screenshot! ;)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Profit

#2 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:06 am

I'm not sure.  However, I'm pretty sure I've beaten that score.  How far did you turn down the speed slider?

MusicallyInspired

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:18 am

I didn't touch it :D. And that's the truth.

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:29 am

Maybe you didn't change the amount of money in the screenshot, but I certainly wouldn't call it unedited :p.

MusicallyInspired

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:46 pm

Well, other than the zoom in on the money thing, I didn't edit it lol.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#6 Post by Vroomfondel » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:33 am

45 Bucks is my best. Granted, that's without turning the speed down, or using any slow-down utilities. Personally, I never really thought much of the sequence other then a plot device.

MusicallyInspired

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:18 am

Mmmm I've always skipped it, too. But I was playing through all the SQs recently and decided to see how far I could get.

I guess I should note that I was using DOSBox and had the CPU cycles down to 1000 or lower or something. It was still goin pretty fast then, though, and I couldn't see the mouse because it couldn't keep up lol.

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Jenkins Loo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:48 pm

I was wondering, but when you ask for a job to the the manager, he promised something like becoming a partner if you do it right. I slowed down the game of course, reached about 10 000 buckazoids but I was never hired as a partner. Isn't there a limit amount of money to win and become a partner or maybe a savegame or a way to hack the files or something... ? An answer from the Two Guys would be helpful or someone very well informed ;)

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#9 Post by Vroomfondel » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:37 am

I believe the wording was:

MANAGER: *with cigar in mouth* "And if ya stick with me fer a half'n'hour, I'll make ya my assistant manager."
ROGER: "Gee thanks!"

As for the amount of money earned, I don't think there's a limit, although I wouldn't know. That's interesting though, were you able to buy the laptop offered in Radio Shock/Hertz So Good with all that money?

MusicallyInspired

#10 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:03 am

I thought all that stuff, other than the adapters, in Radio Shock/Hz. So Good were all out of stock or something.

10,000 bucakzoids? Well, that blows me outta the water...

Broomie
The Enigma

#11 Post by Broomie » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:59 pm

Do you get a buckazoid every burger you make? If so, 10,000 is strangly impossible unless you were there all night.

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Jenkins Loo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:26 pm

Vroomfondel wrote:As for the amount of money earned, I don't think there's a limit, although I wouldn't know. That's interesting though, were you able to buy the laptop offered in Radio Shock/Hertz So Good with all that money?
I, too, suspect there isn't a limit for the money. And I can confirm I was able to buy the laptop! No need of the ATM card and the humiliating robe then, but you can't spend your money on many stuff. I seemed addicted to the money you can make and I wanted to find out if the manager hold his promise. But you can tell it's a pretty waste of time to earn that much money, and I cheated a lot to go that high.

I bought the SQ 1-5 collection and with the collections, there's a small game with all the mini-games you can find through the space quest, and unlike in SQ4, there's no possibility to slow down the monolith burger. If I played honestly, I don't think I could go very high but it is necessary if you want the best score possible.

Jamie, why do you think it is impossible? Is there a timeline in SQ4?

techie775
Knight Status

#13 Post by techie775 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm

I didn't know you could buy the laptop! And I noticed no matter how much money you make when you get fired he still calls you the worst worker he ever had! And then when you go back in he already says he's out of everything! What the heck! I bet the fat pig ate them himself. Galaxy Galleria was one my favorite parts in sq4.

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by hakujinmusume » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:11 pm

Gah, I always found that game irritating. (Although the concept was very funny. Very SQ) I always had a big thing for Mrs. Astro Chicken. Damn that game was fun.

Edited to add: Errr, by big thing I mean I like the game, not that I was attracted to Mrs. Astro Chicken.  :o

Just curious: What do you think was the most irritating in-game action sequence in an adventure game? I'd probably vote for the SQ1 desert drive, or the LSL3 log ride. Although, the conquest of camelot wall climb was highly irritating too with very little fun to redeem it in an otherwise intellectual game.

MusicallyInspired

#15 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:10 pm

There was a wall climb in COC? Where? Why don't I remember it...

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by hakujinmusume » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:28 am

It was so traumatizingly horrible, that you've blocked it from your memory.

Or, rather, I goofed up. I was referring to the OTHER Christy Marx game, Conquest of Longbow. oops!

MusicallyInspired

#17 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:35 am

Ahh...that explains it.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#18 Post by Vroomfondel » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:02 am

I think I'd nominate the SQ1 EGA sand skimmer sequence. It was awful when I first did it because I was so young that I had "non-existant motor skills".  ;)  :rollin