"The Team"

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

"The Team"

#1 Post by johnb4467 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:46 am

I just kinda thought of this, but I was curious how the AGDI team feels about QG2 in comparison to KQ1 & KQ2 -- from a "fun-factor" perspective. I think I recall one of them mentioning that it was their favorite Sierra game (could be wrong on that one). It'd be interesting to hear whether they're more excited remaking such a large game, or if the fun (with loads of hard work) of recreating classic games has worn off & they're looking forward to putting it behind them? Just wondering & would be kind of interesting to hear about.

So, if you all are enjoying yourselves, then many more happy days to you...and if you not, smile anyway -- we appreciate it!

:)

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#2 Post by Spikey » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:47 pm

They probably feel busy and stressed.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#3 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:10 pm

Spikey wrote:They probably feel busy and stressed.
There is no "probably" to it. Trust me.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#4 Post by Spikey » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:47 pm

Figured as much.  ;)

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by johnb4467 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:10 pm

navynuke04 wrote:
Spikey wrote:They probably feel busy and stressed.
There is no "probably" to it. Trust me.
Aye, though busy and stressed can be, "Ah crap does this suck; wish we had never decided to do it," or, "Dang does debugging a game this big take a long time...but ah well -- it'll be worth it to see the project done."

Aye, aye?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#6 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:32 pm

More of the second one. The bug list keeps getting smaller (though new additions are continually made to it). I think everyone gets a little more excited with each bit of progress that is made. Burn out levels are high after you've been working on a game this long, and it's great to hear from the fans. It keeps the motivation going.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#7 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:38 am

well than.... HOOOOOOORAY FOR AGDI TEAMMMM!!!!! YOU ROXOR MY SOXORS!!!!!!!

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by johnb4467 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:34 am

navynuke04 wrote:More of the second one. The bug list keeps getting smaller (though new additions are continually made to it). I think everyone gets a little more excited with each bit of progress that is made. Burn out levels are high after you've been working on a game this long, and it's great to hear from the fans. It keeps the motivation going.
Glad to hear the morale is still decent (and rising). Yeah I don't know where you are in the process, but I have no doubts that beta/bugs is the most "suicidal" stage. Makes me cringe thinking of debugging in my c++ class years back. Nightmare...not even on Elm Street -- just NIGHTMARE!

The Avatar
Knight Status

Awesome Idea!

#9 Post by The Avatar » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:22 am

It really would be cool to see some team members post here.. vent their stresses, or comment briefly on the specific challenges involved that make QFG2VGA so much different (more difficult?) from KQ1VGA & KQ2VGA.

I for one, think you're all 'heroes' for taking on this task.  I salute you AGDi!   :)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#10 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:16 pm

It truly is an undertaking...2 games at once! You've already far exceded what most people are capable of. Pretty soon you'll have 4 great finished games under your belt!

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:48 pm

Making any more than one game at a time is a daunting task.

I'm sure the teams working on these games are much larger than the previous efforts.

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:39 pm

Indeed. One major difference is all the extra interaction in each screen.

In a game such as KQ1VGA, lots of screens only required a few lines of code...the code that made you walk into the screen, the code that made you walk into the next screen and some background animation here and there. In QFG2VGA, there are no small rooms. A room such as a desert room has lots of code to keep track of the player's location in the desert, code for monster appearances, transfer to combat mode, what plants/rocks need to be in that screen, appearance of easter eggs and more. A room in the city may contain one or more dialogue tree code, code to make guards and citizens walk around, code to get you busted for misbehaving, elemental appearances and more. I'd estimate the average amount of code in each room in QFG2VGA is like 10 times the amount of code per room in KQ1VGA. And that's going easy on the latter.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by johnb4467 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:17 am

Erpy wrote:location in the desert, code for monster appearances, transfer to combat mode, what plants/rocks need to be in that screen, appearance of easter eggs and more.
That is, of course, also what's going to give that feeling of a living world that really sold me on QG2. It's great that you've taken the time to do all of that; no doubt it will be worth it.

I forget -- what is monster appearance in QG2 based off of -- higher probability in certain zones/screens...something similar to a dice-roll (random number), or by number of approx screens traveled? Just kinda curious.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#14 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:23 am

Monster appearance is random in generic desert screens, though there's a higher probability of monsters appearing at night than during the day.

As for the "fun" factor involved with making the game, at this point I'm really just looking forward to getting the thing finished! I often end up going to sleep at around 11am after working on things all night. 90% of time is put into developing the game/s which is why forum postings from us are scarce.

We kind of underestimated the amount of work involved in a remake of QFG2 (as evidenced by the missed release dates so far), but in order to do this game justice, it needs to be done right. And that means taking time to ensure that the game is feature-complete and solid enough to play through without receiving fatal crashes.  

Fortunately, after Al Emmo is released, things should stabilize to a point where we're able to focus fully on QFG2VGA and get it to beta stage. However, even I can't predict when that's going to be, due to the time required to comb through such a large game for bugs, and the tendency of most bugs to be fairly technical in nature and thus take a while to track down and fix.

We've also been taking note of fan comments and suggestions on the forums and implementing some of that stuff into the game.  So the remake will be familiar to the EGA original but there will also be little tweaks, Easter eggs, and new things to discover for the QFG2 veterans out there. :) Whereas most of KQ2VGA's changes involved rewriting major plot events and dialogue,  in QFG2VGA, you'll find none of that stuff has changed. The big changes/additions are more aesthetic in nature, and are designed to provide more things to do and/or make certain areas (such as the alleys) more practical and intuitive to navigate.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by johnb4467 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:24 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Monster appearance is random...
...taking time to ensure that the game is feature-complete and solid enough to play through without receiving fatal crashes.  
Thanks a bunch for taking the time to answer my odd-ball question.
And as far as underestimating the game & going past your inital release dates...you all take as long as you need. After all, the title is QG2VGA...not QG4 v1.0....    ;)

If any of you ever get frustrated, you know you have a "support staff" on hand here on the boards  ;) , along with a venting area.

That includes you too Erpy...just don't yell too loud at me -- I *will* cry.  :cry

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Bugs

#16 Post by Brainiac » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:36 am

johnb4467 wrote:After all, the title is QG2VGA...not QG4 v1.0....    ;)
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...it just isn't a QfG game without at least one bug!

Even if it's only the one on the opening screen (QfG1EGA). :D