A question about the Windows versions of SCI games->

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

A question about the Windows versions of SCI games->

#1 Post by Peter Swinkels » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:31 pm

Newer SCI games (Such as Leisure Suit Larry 6) usually have a Windows version along with their DOS version. Whenever I run the Windows version the music sounds different from that which I hear in the DOS version (I normally use the SoundBlaster or a compatible soundcard driver.)  This wouldn't be problem if the change wasn't for the worse (in my opinion. I know that what the music exactly sounds like also varies depending on the soundcard driver you use in the DOS version.

I think this has something to with the default instrument scheme or something that a particulair soundcard has. I also think this scheme can be modified, but I don't know how.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:13 pm

You are correct, the sound is worse in Windows, this is because the windows version uses the "General Midi" driver rather than the DOS Soundblaster drivers which sound alot better.

My advice, do what I do. Run the DOS versions.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#3 Post by Peter Swinkels » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:12 am

In Windows XP several DOS based games run very jerky and sluggish. This is not related to VDMSound or the CPU speed as far as I know. I mean if a DOS game still runs jerky on a 3ghz processor that is because the NTVDM in Windows XP is rubbish, not because the computer can't handle it. Windows based games tend to run much better and that's why I prefer to play those. Surely Windows offers a way to change the driver being used?

I have also noticed that some modern video cards and flat screens won't support screen resulotions below 640 x 480 pixels. Making it impossible to play lots of DOS games. Which means I'm forced to use the Windows version if available.

EDIT:
My computer doesn't even have a pc speaker any more which is a shame when playing Alley Cat or some of the few other games which only support a pc speaker and use it to proceduce decent sounds and music.
Last edited by Peter Swinkels on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#4 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:39 am

Windows cant use a driver that hasnt been written for it, same as Windows cant use a Mac or Linux driver for the soundcard.

My XP plays DOS games fine (AMD Athlon 3500+) and my 19" Flat Panel has no problem running Dos games, even the KQ1 and 2 by AGDI which are 320 x 200 work flawlessly.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#5 Post by Peter Swinkels » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:00 pm

Windows cant use a driver that hasnt been written for it, same as Windows cant use a Mac or Linux driver for the soundcard.
Windows seems to provide the drivers itself rather than the game. If this is true that means Windows should be able provide a better driver for an old Windows program. I tested this by deleting all of LSL6's *.drv files and then running the Windows version. It still worked, which seems to imply that Windows itself provides an outdated sound driver for old Windows programs.
My XP plays DOS games fine (AMD Athlon 3500+) and my 19" Flat Panel has no problem running Dos games, even the KQ1 and 2 by AGDI which are 320 x 200 work flawlessly.
KQ1 and KQ2 by AGDI are NOT DOS games. They are Windows games. Could you be a bit more specific about which DOS games don't run jerky in your Windows? If you have to use some emulator like ScummVM for a game that doesn't count.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#6 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:46 pm

I know the General Midi driver is a windows driver, thats the only one it has, which is why DOS has its own drivers.

I know the AGDI games arent dos games but they still use 320 x 200 screen resolution which my flat panel can display no problem. It makes no difference whether its Dos or Windows trying to display said resolution.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#7 Post by Peter Swinkels » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:32 am

I think I found the answer to most problems. I gave DosBox a try and it solves video, sound and speed related issues. Is that what you use to run your DOS games Angelus3K?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#8 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:44 am

Nope, they ran fine natively.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#9 Post by Peter Swinkels » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:32 pm

Nope, they ran fine natively.
Now I really would like to know. What DOS games run fine under Windows XP natively? They probably don't use a sound card and the like do they?

Like I mentioned in the posts above, it's not only XP that causes trouble for old software such as the lack of a pc speaker in some modern computers, a monitor or video card that no longer supports anything older than VGA graphics and of course CPU's that are too fast for some programs.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#10 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:24 pm

What game do you want me to try? Like I said KQ1 and 2 VGA work fine and KQ7 Dos and Win work fine.