"while we wait"

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

"while we wait"

#1 Post by johnb4467 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:30 am

Well since Al Emmo (rightly) gets front-seat to QG2VGA & we likely still have a while to wait, I was curious what everyone has been doing to "fill the void". Is QG2VGA at the top of your "want" list? Out of all the games coming out, it and Al Emmo are, even above all the "big release" titles from the major companies.
Actually, I thought it might be worth-while to mention what (if you are) games you might be currently playing; may give other players a feel for what's good to us in general.
For myself, while gaming has been a bit slow, I've been slowly working through Baldur's Gate II and Grim Fandango...two very worth-while games (even though they're a bit older). BG2 is a bit intense story/time-wise, but that's what I love about it. Grim Fandango is just plain fun!
If this should be bumped to general discussion, please feel free to bump it there, Sir Erpy...feel like it has at least a lil' correspondance to AGDI, so thought I'd try it here first.  
Lastly, out of curiosity, how long was the beta period (in general) for QG1&2VGA? I'm just trying to get a feel for how long it might take for Al Emmo's beta test phase.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#2 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:24 am

Makin' a game myself.  Just about to go beta with it too.  I'm psyched.

Bt

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#3 Post by Paladinlover » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:56 am

I haven't been paying much attention to other fan projects or Al Emmo (is it a commerical game by AGD interactive, btw?) so I would say that QFG 2 is indeed on the top of my 'want list'. But I've waited for more 4 1/2 years for it and I can wait another 4 or 5 or 6 months (or however longer it would take). I'd rather have it if they were late, but made a pristine and bug-free game than an early release that'll have the players tearing their hair out in frustration! :lol

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#4 Post by Swift » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:55 am

Paladinlover wrote:Al Emmo (is it a commerical game by AGD interactive, btw?)
Yes.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#5 Post by Paladinlover » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:47 am

Well then! That'll be my first game purchase when it comes out! :D

Till next time stay cool :smokin

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#6 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:42 pm

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by johnb4467 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:33 pm

Paladinlover wrote:But I've waited for more 4 1/2 years for it and I can wait another 4 or 5 or 6 months (or however longer it would take). I'd rather have it if they were late, but made a pristine and bug-free game than an early release that'll have the players tearing their hair out in frustration! :lol
You took the words right out of my mouth...I'd MUCH prefer a wait to a buggy product. Especially when it's something I'm looking forward to as much as a QG2 remake (my fav all-time game).

As was already semi-stated, yep...Al Emmo is by the AGDI group, under their commercial studio. I'm actually getting quite excited for the release...will be a great opportunity to re-visit what may be my favorite genre. I love the other genres like hardcore rpg's, etc...but adventure games just don't have that "absolute-draining" effect that super intense rpgs & such tend to have...they're just so dang enjoyable (and a leisurely sort of way). I was playing Baldur's Gate II last night and I was honestly TIRED by the time my session was over! All I ever remember playing adventure games is my subconscious telling me I *SHOULD* go to bed. Then again, I'm now an old fart and may *need* the rest.  :(

Out of curiosity, has anyone played The Longest Journey or Syberia? I have a few games in-progress & on deck to finish (BG2, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, etc), but was curious which one you all thought might be a better experience once I get to a new adventure game....

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by GuJiaXian » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:45 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone played The Longest Journey or Syberia? I have a few games in-progress & on deck to finish (BG2, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, etc), but was curious which one you all thought might be a better experience once I get to a new adventure game....
I've played both The Longest Journey and Syberia (and Syberia 2, which wasn't quite as good). The Longest Journey is tied as my favorite game of all time (tied with Planescape: Torment). It's rich, deep, has an engaging storyline and excellent character development. Great game. If you only want to buy one or the other, go for The Longest Journey.

On that note, I do hope that you're aware that the sequel to The Longest Journey is approaching completion: http://www.dreamfall.com. There's not really a lot up on the website beyond a movie and some screenshots, but I'm pretty hyped (as is my wife). We really enjoy plowing through adventure games together.

Sounds like our interests are similar: I play through BG/BG2/IWD/IWD2 every other year or so. Even in today's world of WoW-type graphics and such, you just can't beat the isometric classic rpgs.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Dreamfall

#9 Post by Brainiac » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:34 pm

Yes, Dreamfall has my attention as well, GuJiaXin.  I saw the "final" trailer they recently put up labeling the game release as "Spring 2006."  There are several games coming out this spring already that I'm interested in, so I know I am definitely going to be entertained in the upcoming months (if a little drained of funds).

dreammaster
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by dreammaster » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:24 am

Considering how generous AGDI has been by releasing these games for free, I decided to contribute something to the community as well. But since I'm not an artist, I eventually settled on starting a project to disassemble the old adventure game "Lure of the Temptress" and create a ScummVM module for it, so people can play it on all the different systems ScummVM supports

The company that made it, Revolution Software, has been very generous about releasing the source code for it's older games to make them ScummVM compatible, but unfortunately they didn't have the source code to this game anymore, although they did make the game itself freeware. So my work is intended to correct that, and add support for the game. It's certainly keeping me busy enough whilst I await QFG2VGA.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by johnb4467 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:06 pm

dreammaster wrote:I decided to contribute something to the community as well.
It's great that you & Blackthorne are continuing to follow in AGDI's footsteps and help give us games. Your type of expertise is in pretty high demand -- not nearly as many people I know of that are on the coding, etc end of things. You guys make big money in my industry. R&D is always huge. :)

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by johnb4467 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:12 pm

GuJiaXian wrote:
The Longest Journey is tied as my favorite game of all time (tied with Planescape: Torment). It's rich, deep, has an engaging storyline and excellent character development. Great game. If you only want to buy one or the other, go for The Longest Journey.

Sounds like our interests are similar: I play through BG/BG2/IWD/IWD2 every other year or so.
Thanks a bunch for letting me know. I played the demo for Longest Journey, but for games like that you can't really get a very good feel in a short period, as the story is what really gets you anyway. I've heard a lot of amazing things about Planetscape: Torment as well...that may be another oen I have to add to my list. With the way things are, I don't think I'll be needing to buy a new commercial game for a long time (other than Al Emmo)...I've got so many 'old' games I've yet to get through that I could honestly be busy for a few years, especially with games like Torment (with I assume is lenghty like the BG games?). I also want to go through Jagged Alliance 2...those have to be the funnest turn-based strategy games I've ever played, though right now I've only played Deadly Games (very old) and JA2: Unfinished Business (apparently not nearly as good as regular JA2). Considering that's yet another long game, I don't think I'll be needing to upgrade the computer for quite a while. ;)

Snake2715
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Snake2715 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:37 pm

Good topic. I try to play the adventures as time permits. Typically its at my grandmothers house. (I am 26 she is 58). I recently lost my Grandfather (61) to lung cancer and I had grown up spending time out at their house on the lake. So once Every couple months my wife and myself go out there for a weekend and play through an old adventure game.

The last two were pretty enjoyable First was Runaway and the second was Tony Tough and the Night of the Roasted Moths.

Both games were point and click and had humor but were short enough to knock out in a weekend with three players.. Typically this means starting on a friday night around 8pm and going ot bed between 5-6 am (yes shes hardcore!) then getting up, breakfast etc and about 2 pm going back in to game until early sunday monring.

I would recomend both those games to people waiting. I do know that Tony Tough was less at the official site than say ebay when I bought it.

DennisBergkamp
Peasant Status

#14 Post by DennisBergkamp » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:36 pm

BG2 was amazing, one of my all time favorite RPGs: the atmosphere, the characters (Minsc is one of the most memorable characters from any videogame in my opinion!) great graphics, brilliant gameplay, original storyline, etc. etc. etc. I also really enjoyed the length, definitely not a game you'd finish within a couple of hours.

I've never had the chance to play Planescape: Torment, I'll try and pick that up somewhere online... how does it compare to BG2? Anyway, I read some reviews and it definitely looks like something to do while awaiting the release of QG2  :D

dreammaster
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by dreammaster » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:53 pm

Planescape Torment was a bloody brilliant game. It had memorable characters (who can't love a wisecracking floating skull), a really deep storyline, and real freedom for the player to play however they wanted - a lot  of care had been done to create quests and allow the player to play as an evil or beserker, not just as a good guy. Lots of side quests and fun things to do.

I rate it among my favourite PC games of all time, alongisde the Fallout series and Baldur's Gates series.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#16 Post by Da_elf » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:47 am

forgive me for being old fashion but people who play the D&D PC games need to be shot. old D&D with dice rule!!! heheeh kidding i wouldnt shoot you guys. (we live to far apart lol kidding)

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by johnb4467 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:17 am

DennisBergkamp wrote:(Minsc is one of the most memorable characters from any videogame in my opinion!)
Yes, Minsc is an absolute crackup. I was laughing aloud...there's a part in the game (very, very minor spoiler) where you have to convince someone you're insane...and you have the option of "letting Minsc speak"...oh my was the dialogue hilarious -- went back and re-read it just for amusement! Whoever did the voice acting for the spoken Minsc lines did a great job too; super clever!

I hear that floating skull in Torment is hilarious. Him and the big guy in Grim Fandango were voted as two of the best "sidekicks" on a gamespot feature.  :p

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#18 Post by Senor Matt » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:19 am

So for those of you who have played Syberia, I would be interested in hearing what you had to say about it as I am considering buying it.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#19 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:48 am

I have it. My fiance is currently hooked to it (her first adventure game). Like all adventures nowadays it's a story with a lot of puzzles and no danger. Can get boring if you get really stuck. Other than that it's got a really good story that's really intriguing me. The graphics are beautiful and the interface is simple enough. All in all a well-developed game. Music is repetative and too ambient for my tastes, but it suits the game. It's the kind of thing where a theme will play and then it will stop and 5 minutes later start playing again.

Personally I'm still waiting for a good adventure to come out that's not a little on the boring side like Syberia is. Guess I'll have to wait for Al Emmo :).

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#20 Post by Gronagor » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:57 am

DennisBergkamp wrote:BG2 was amazing, one of my all time favorite RPGs: the atmosphere, the characters (Minsc is one of the most memorable characters from any videogame in my opinion!) great graphics, brilliant gameplay, original storyline, etc. etc. etc. I also really enjoyed the length, definitely not a game you'd finish within a couple of hours.
Yeah. Really good. Just Chapter 2 being ridiculously long... lost a bit of interest half-way through that chapter.

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:02 am

waiting for QFG2VGA and The Silver Lining to come out primarilly, also KQ3VGA. Other than that I play a lot of WoW and write/play a lot of music.

MusicallyInspired

#22 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:07 am

I'm currently in the process of writing a complete soundtrack for an adventure game. Once it comes out I'll have it up for download on my website (as well as a link to the game download, obviously).

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#23 Post by johnb4467 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:51 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:I'm currently in the process of writing a complete soundtrack for an adventure game. .
Gosh, we've got some talented people here on the boards. People writing code for games...writing music for games...writing music in general (dungeonsofdorks...great icon btw  :D ). It's really fun to hear that a lot of you are active in actually creating new games.

Any music that we might be able to take a listen to, MusicallyInspired (not necessarily for the game)? Anyone else too; would be very fun to hear!

Gosh, guess I'm going to have to play Syberia now as well, lol my list of games is getting huge. I usually make it a point to beat a game before I buy another one, but I have a bunch that are partially-done (saved games stored away) or waiting to be gotten to, lol. Sadly time just isn't nearly as abundant as it used to be (well, time to do fun stuff ;) ... always seems more than enough time to spend working, lol!).

Just since I've been getting so much enjoyment out of them -- especially lately...you guys should head over to Quest Studios if you haven't in a while. They have so much great music there that it's ridiculous. While I work I just leave it playing in the background -- about 6 or 7 game scores -- and it's really just wonderful to listen to. Especially if you've played the game...then you just go through the game over again -- such a wonderful thing about music in movies, games, etc!

MusicallyInspired

#24 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:51 pm

Any music that we might be able to take a listen to, MusicallyInspired (not necessarily for the game)?
I'm afraid I can't release anything until it comes out. It would spoil the surprise, anyway! :) I will however, just for fun, post a few tracks for a game I was writing for that isn't in production anymore. I don't think I ever posted them here, anyway. From a game code named "Wizard's Quest".

The story of a knight who gets banished from his homeland for a dumb reason (I can't really remember the details anymore) and turns to a wizard who teaches him the art of magic. The king of his homeland (Almeria) used to be a really good king but now something has happened to him to make him mean and rash and, of course, banish the knight (named Bryan). The story was actually quite good. I don't think I can give out more information than that, though.

These tunes aren't finished they're all "idea tracks" so some are really messy and aren't even quantized. I had an idea for the the main theme. It was sort of QFG-ish but I never got around to recording it.

1-http://brandonblume.commerceculture.co. ... /bryan.ogg
This is the hero's theme that would be changed around throughout the game to suit different situations for him. A nice acoustic tune.

2-http://brandonblume.commerceculture.co. ... lmeria.ogg
This is the theme for Almeria. Would have been part of the introdutcion, I imagine.

3-http://brandonblume.commerceculture.co. ... a/king.ogg
Slightly variated version of the Almeria theme and a little darker as well. Set for when interacting with the king of Almeria.

4-http://brandonblume.commerceculture.co. ... a/town.ogg
A fun little town theme for a sea-side town.

5-http://brandonblume.commerceculture.co. ... amatic.ogg
This is a slower more dramatic version of the upbeat main title theme I was going to make.

6-http://brandonblume.commerceculture.co. ... usions.ogg
This is a song that was going to be in the game but I took it out and did something else with it for myself :). Nice orchestral/dreamy theme.

I'm sad I won't be able to finish this soundtrack, but there are some nice memories here. Hope you enjoy these tracks while waiting for QFG2VGA and all the other games set to come out this year!

And yes, Quest Studios is awesome. Tom is currently uploading digital Conquests of Camelot tracks for an audio cd. So far they're very nice and the rest will be, too!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#25 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:44 pm

Syberia I and Syberia II are must have adventure games!!