"while we wait"

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#26 Post by Vroomfondel » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:51 pm

I'm currently in the process of writing a complete soundtrack for an adventure game. .
What game are you working on Musically Inspired?

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#27 Post by Senor Matt » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:08 am

Angelus3K wrote:Syberia I and Syberia II are must have adventure games!!
Thanks for the input Angelus (and Musically) but why are they must have adventure games? What exactly makes them so great? What did YOU love about them so much? I may be asking too many questions hear but I would just simply like a bit more info if you don't mind. :)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#28 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:18 am

I guess people like it because the story is so immersive. It's a real strange and interesting world (you'll know what I mean when you play it) all with a big mystery behind it. It's quite well done.....just not my favourite style of adventure game.
What game are you working on Musically Inspired?
I can't say ATM, but when it comes out I'll be happy to tell you ;). Don't want to spoil the surprise! But I'm sure you will all enjoy it. It's a really great game with a great and very talented team behind it and it's coming along very well. And that's, unfortunately, all I can tell you about it.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#29 Post by GuJiaXian » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:25 pm

Senor Matt wrote:Thanks for the input Angelus (and Musically) but why are they must have adventure games? What exactly makes them so great? What did YOU love about them so much? I may be asking too many questions hear but I would just simply like a bit more info if you don't mind. :)
Well, Syberia was so great because of the atmosphere. The combination of a fantastical world coupled with a more comtemporary setting (the European small village) was very nice. Also, the puzzles made sense within the context of the game. In some other adventure game, you might find a door whose lock is a random slider puzzle. In Syberia, the plot centers around the search for a genius inventor who left behind bizzare mechanical contraptions. Thus, the "odd" puzzles actually make sense.

Syberia 2 wasn't quite as solid as the first. It's a lot shorter, and while it does nicely wrap up the plot (Syberia is a bit of a cliff-hanger), it seems to move a little too quickly.

Still, you should be able to find both games in the under-$20 bargain bin, and they're definitely worth your money at that price.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#30 Post by Senor Matt » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:29 am

I thank everyone for their input and I think I probably will make that my next purchase.

link5186
Peasant Status

#31 Post by link5186 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:50 am

While I continue my wait (which also started nearly 4 years ago), I'm slowly prepping import characters from qg1vga. I'm planning on maxing out stats for each true-class character and maxing out the stats for a mixed-class thief. As soon as qg2vga comes out, I'm starting one hell of a marathon.

MusicallyInspired

#32 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:19 am

Amanda (my fiance) just finished Syberia today. She really loved it. She can't wait to play the next one. A note for anyone who wants to get their spouse into adventure games: Syberia might be a good choice ;).

Now she's starting on The Longest Journey.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#33 Post by johnb4467 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:25 am

Great music,  MusicallyInspired (though by the name, obviously you already knew that...).

Yeah I suppose I will have to give Syberia 1 & 2 a go after I work my way through the rest of my gaming list...they seem highly regarded.

Really, even though adventure games aren't in a mega-role like they used to in the gaming community, just combining games of the past with the few new adventure games being released will have me busy for a while still. Maybe that speaks poorly of my past "adventure gaming", but it seems like there's still a lot of them out there!  :p

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#34 Post by eriqchang » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:39 pm

Syberia 1 & 2 were snorefests as far as I'm concerned. Ugh. Poor, slooooow gameplay. I never really felt like I was playing a really great adventure game. Both of them just never captured me. The graphics and atmosphere were very beautiful, however.

The Longest Journey, on the other hand, was spectacular.

MusicallyInspired

#35 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:46 pm

I guess the problem is that most adventures nowadays are 'puzzlefests' where one area just leads to the next one full of puzzles. There's no danger anywhere. There's no sense of urgency. In Lucasarts games there was no dying but they did it a lot better than current adventures are doing it today.

I think what people really miss about the old adventures was the sense of non-boringness. You're not just playing an adventure game for puzzles (like I think most companies think), you're playing it for the story, the interaction, the suspense, the drama, and if you liked it about the Sierra games, the deaths! lol

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#36 Post by eriqchang » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:53 pm

totally agree. Syberia, along with most of the releases today, aren't as much inventory and classic-puzzle type games.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#37 Post by GuJiaXian » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:59 pm

eriqchang wrote:totally agree. Syberia, along with most of the releases today, aren't as much inventory and classic-puzzle type games.
That's probably true. Syberia 1 and 2 were more of the heavy thinking puzzles adventure games, kind of like a Myst title (though firmly in the adventure genre). The Longest Journey, however, had the zany "combine random item A with equally improbable item B" puzzles, along with the great character/NPC intereaction that classic Lucas Arts and Sierra adventure games featured.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#38 Post by johnb4467 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:47 am

[quote="GuJiaXianSyberia 1 and 2 were more of the heavy thinking puzzles adventure games, kind of like a Myst title (though firmly in the adventure genre). The Longest Journey, however, had the zany "combine random item A with equally improbable item B" puzzles, along with the great character/NPC intereaction that classic Lucas Arts and Sierra adventure games featured.[/quote]

Oh my, I'm glad that came up...I don't care for those mega-puzzle type games. Bring on Longest Journey then...

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#39 Post by johnb4467 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:20 am

Actually, this kind of came to mind while listening to MusciallyInspired's music & talking about Quest Studios. Music is obviously [and often times not-so-obviously] a huge factor in productions. I thought it might be fun to hear what everyone's favorite musical score is for a movie & a game. I ask partially because I'm always looking for new, great scores to listen to!
For movies my favorite is an easy choice: Basil Poledouris' score for Conan the Barbarian. Whether you like the movie or not, the score is amazing. In fact the score goes for quite high sums of money on ebay. I've had the cd for 12 years, but it had gotten scratched & skipped in a spot...so last week I just dropped $50 to purchase a new one (well worth it though, I might add...it's really THAT good).
My favorite game score is a little more difficult, though I think I'm going to go with King's Quest V. It has a really nice balance to it I think (though that's partially due to the nice variation of game environments).
Everyone else? NavyNuke & Erpy -- I'd like to hear yours too!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#40 Post by Erpy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:55 am

I don't have a favourite Sierra score. There were many games with memorable scores. My favourites would be King's Quest 5, Quest for Glory 4 and King's Quest 2 VGA. (Yeah, the latter isn't a Sierra-game, but the soundtrack's still one of my favourites)

I often listen to Sierra soundtracks while working.

MusicallyInspired

#41 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:56 pm

Ahhh my kind of conversation! ;)

My favourite scores are KQ5, Conquests of Camelot, KQ6, and KQ2VGA. In no particular order. I used to think of KQ5 as my favourite score, but now I've grown very close to Camelot's soundtrack (maybe because Tom's been recording it and making a soundtrack cd out of it lately). It's just perfect for the game and it has very lovely and memorable tunes and it's by my favourite Sierra composer Mark Seibert.

I listen to Sierra soundtracks on my way to and from school.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#42 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:01 pm

I love the music in KQ5 thats what made me love it so much! I especially like the Weeping Willow track, Witch area track, the tune that plays when King Antony finds the needle for you oooh there are so many to name!!

KQ6 also has an amazing soundtrack aswell as KQ2VGA.

I also love the music in FF (but thats another thread) and basically most adventure games like Broken Sword, Grim Fandango etc

I'll leave now before I de-rail this thread lol

haradan
Knight Status

#43 Post by haradan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:51 pm

I agree with the KQ5 and KQ6 soundtracks, as well with Camelot's (was beautiful!) but I must add some soundtracks that were incredible as well. The Larry 3 sountrack was just great, too bad it was the only one composed by Mike Dana. The SQ4 music had just the right mood, and it was one of the first games to really have a sound engineering. I remember taking the belts in the space gallery and going all the way around just to listen how the music faded in and out when you approached a store, mixing with the ambient music. QG3 and QG4 were also great.

Finally, although is not a Sierra game, I must say that the music of Dune was impressive, at least on a Roland MT 32. It made you completeley forget about the real world when you were playing!

MusicallyInspired

#44 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:23 pm

Right! SQ4 is another soundtrack I am in love with. I can't believe I forgot it. I don't see what people see in the SQ3 soundtrack. What few tunes there are are awesome, don't get me wrong, but it can't stand up to SQ4 or COC!

Been listening to Longbow's soundtrack lately, too. I haven't played through the whole game yet, but the tunes are very nice. Especially the ones featured on Mark Seibert's Sierra Soundtrack CD Collection. Particularly "Nottingham Shire Map", "St. Mary's", "St. Mary's Hedge Maze", and "Fens' Monastery". The last in that list being the most beautiful. I love Mark Seibert's guitar pieces.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#45 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:17 pm

eriqchang wrote:Syberia 1 & 2 were snorefests as far as I'm concerned. Ugh. Poor, slooooow gameplay. I never really felt like I was playing a really great adventure game. Both of them just never captured me. The graphics and atmosphere were very beautiful, however.

The Longest Journey, on the other hand, was spectacular.
Thats weird lol I loved Syberia I & II but found The Longest Journey really boring.

Different strokes for different folks!  ;)

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#46 Post by moonlit » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:58 pm

The baldur's gate series and PT are great RPG's replayed BG 2.5 times (at one replay my disk crashed during the first half of BGII :-(  ).

For adventures, Grim Fadango is very special I liked the music, graphics ad original story (though the controls where a bit clumsy) . Full throttle is great too. I like cartoon's and this had a lot of animations.

More recent games, wel Syberia excells graphically and a good story, not much music though. Same for syberia II.

Mysterious Island was fun to play. The puzzles there consist mostly on combining inventory items, but you can do so in several different ways. The same is true for voyage which I am playing now.

NiBiRu is graphically very good, however the puzzle's are so simple there wasn't a puzzle I had to think about more than a minute. Still wel made. I liked the black mirror too and that one had better puzzles and as NiBiRu a great atmosphere.

If you also like RTS they have this package with 12 command and conquer games "Command and Conquer the first decade", bought that for 29 euro's very addictive.

Nice to here what other people are playing.

Regards, Ron AF Greve.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#47 Post by Da_elf » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:28 pm

its a shame the D&D computer games cant be as fun as the real game where you have total story freedom (depending on how good your DM is) Im a fairly flexable DM but i still hate when the characters go outside my preset game plot

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#48 Post by moonlit » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:41 pm

Well, for me it are also the graphics that count. Though I would like to play a 'real' D&D some time, I really like the computer implementations. The BG series does have quite some freedom though you eventually have to follow the main story line.

IWD is more linear you really have to follow a predefined path (much like Dungeon Siege, which has a great engine but somehow I didn't enjoy playing it).

The (more recent) RPG I actually played most is morrowind. The first time I actually never did the main quest. There are so many things to do that you actually can play it without finishing the main quest. Really looking forward to oblivion.

Regards, Ron AF Greve

MusicallyInspired

#49 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:21 pm

I saw a Broken Sword game in Staples the other day and tried to get a hold of it but I didn't have enough money (kinda hard on cash). I forget which one it was, but it was 3D rendered. I wish I could remember the name, though. I already have Circle of Blood/Broken Sword 1.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#50 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:39 pm

Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon is the third in the series and the only one to be in 3D.

The storyline continues on from BS1 so playing BS2 is not entirely necessary for BS3 but BS2 is a fantastic game if not the best in the series.

Here in the UK you can pick up BS1 and BS2 for £4.99 ($10?) and are definetly worth it.

Broken Sword 4: Angel of Death has also been announced and is rumoured to go back to the 2D point and click roots of the series!