QFG2 Remake Linear based story question

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

JTanczos
Peasant Status

QFG2 Remake Linear based story question

#1 Post by JTanczos » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:37 am

I just completed qfg1 VGA remake with a "super" character where all stats are 100.  I started playing QFG2 and have noticed the days pass so quickly in dosbox. Even with all the settings on "Normal".

This becomes a problem when building stats.  Each day something happens and if you don't follow the quest as they lay it out or the game will end(HATE being forced).  I read the faq and looked around but seem to have missed it.  Is the remake going to be linear based or trigger based like the first one?  Like if you complete one part it triggers a note to be left for you somewhere else and so on.

If it is linear will the days be longer to allow for more still building?

JT

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:57 am

The game will be like the original QFG2 where you have 16 days in Shapeir before the caravan will take you to Raseir.

Many people who play QFG2 for the first time complain that they have very little time to build stats. Personally, I've found that once I became familiar with the game and quests, I had plenty of time to build up my character and still end up sleeping days away at the inn.

JTanczos
Peasant Status

#3 Post by JTanczos » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:27 am

It could very well be Dosbox that is causing the problem with time. Played 4 complete days in a few hours.  Will there be a adjustable game time speed similar to the old version?

Does the animation speed have anything to do with the in game time?

I have been checking this site on and off for the past year and can't wait till it comes out! First QFG I played was the VGA remake of 1 and then 3. I purchased the anthology to play 1-4 but didn't really like the interface of 2.  Last game I played with a text interface was KQ3 which didn't have as much complexity as QFG as far as asking and answering questions.  I played the KQ remakes and quite enjoy them!  Keep up the awesome work. :)

JT

Psycho_Kenshin
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Psycho_Kenshin » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:45 am

What speed are your cycles at? In the dosbox config file (dosbox.conf). Its the line that says "cycles=". I'd make sure its below 4000 for an oldschool game like QFG2.

The general rule: If a game seems too fast, lower the cycles. Seems too slow, raise the cycles.

theMaxxx
Peasant Status

Additional time

#5 Post by theMaxxx » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:22 pm

I seem to remember that i decided to camp outside of town, on the 15th, to boost my stats.
Surprise, surprise, i wasnt automatically caught up in the caravan, thus, giving me more time to boost my stat.
Even there, if u wait until the 29 (i assume that the final day is supposed to be the 30th) then go back to town, u'll travel to raseir and, back in time, at the day u artrive in raseir (day 28, i think). thus, u can gain a bit more time to boost your stats.

Maxxx

theMaxxx
Peasant Status

Spelling

#6 Post by theMaxxx » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:23 pm

Sorry guy for the atrocious spelling.

Maxxx

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#7 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:04 am

Erpy wrote:The game will be like the original QFG2 where you have 16 days in Shapeir before the caravan will take you to Raseir.

Many people who play QFG2 for the first time complain that they have very little time to build stats. Personally, I've found that once I became familiar with the game and quests, I had plenty of time to build up my character and still end up sleeping days away at the inn.
Here, here. Even without cheating to get max stats I STILL have plenty of time to do whatever needs to be done and build my hero. The quests are actually quite easy if you know how to do them. I would daresay that I could finish them all in one or two game days if the game actually let you do it.

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

Slarty Bardfast
Royal Servant Status

Stats building

#8 Post by Slarty Bardfast » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:18 pm

If I remember correctly I'd just grab a bunch of rocks or buy some daggers, and just stand there for 2 or 3 game days constantly throwing stuff, then climbing somthing, then casting spells, fighting over and over etc. to get all the stats to 200  Of course I was also able to use the dirvish's beard trick to be able to afford vigor, healing, and mana potions as well as throwing daggers and spells etc. so it might be slightly more difficult without an endless supply of dinars. But if I recall I would make a ton o' money before I completed QFG1 and import and take to the money changer. S'been awhile though and I'm sure theres a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting. Anyhow, keep up the good work all, I'm sure it's going to be amazing to experience it all over again with all the new enhancements. Kinda wish the dirvish trick'd still work though  :rollin  but maybe there will be a *NEW* secret!

JTanczos
Peasant Status

#9 Post by JTanczos » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:38 pm

It imports all the gold in your version?  The one I have doesn't.  It only imported the daggers and about 260 gold our of ~800.  Also it doesn't have the beard trick. It says "You don't have any beard to sell" and doesnt increase my gold count. Maybe I did something wrong. :p

I am playing from the first version of the Anthology set without the QFG5 demo.

I just about gave up on QFG2.  I am too used to point and click interfances.  I would probably have liked it on my 286.

JT

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#10 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:55 pm

at the end perhaps an option to "stay around longer" could be issued bvefore you're off to Tarna however i believe you're taken to Tarna as soon as Ad avis is dealt with so im not sure.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#11 Post by Vroomfondel » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:52 am

at the end perhaps an option to "stay around longer" could be issued bvefore you're off to Tarna however i believe you're taken to Tarna as soon as Ad avis is dealt with so im not sure.
The game ends immediately after killing Ad Avis (@ least in the old version); and Aidenable didn't immediately go to Tarna after the end ceremony in 2. He stuck around for a little bit in Shapier before leaving with Rakeesh and Uhura.

Betelgeuse
Peasant Status

#12 Post by Betelgeuse » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:57 am

and was it just me or was there nothing to do in rasier to kill time. could only rest in the inn, could only get to your room at night. set time scale to fastest then go make a sandwich or something then come back and hope its night time.
playing through all 5 again. finished with paladin and thief. starting wizard. didn't have the patience to max out the stats this time, close enough for the most part. i'll most likely start again when vga comes out anyway
as per the initial question, i found it one of the easiest games to build stats in b/c there was no limit on resting. no 'you are too impatient to rest now.' nowhere to practice climbing but pretty much everything else was there.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:19 pm

Keep in mind that the games were not designed to be played through with max stats it's just easier and fun.

haradan
Knight Status

#14 Post by haradan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:26 pm

nowhere to practice climbing but pretty much everything else was there.
I think you could practice climbing in a rather expensive way. You could use the magic rope until its magic died off, then buy another magic rope. (Pretty useless skill in QFG2, anyway).

adeyke

#15 Post by adeyke » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:26 am

IIRC, the rope was buggy in that buying a new one didn't correctly reset the "uses left" variable.  So it wasn't a good idea to use the rope more than necessary.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#16 Post by Paladinlover » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:53 pm

I think you could practice climbing in a rather expensive way. You could use the magic rope until its magic died off, then buy another magic rope. (Pretty useless skill in QFG2, anyway).
Practicing climbing on the rope is useless. You can't increase your skill no matter how much you try. I've tried it myself many times before.

Till next time stay cool  :smokin