QG2VGA Forgotten?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

AGP
Royal Servant Status

QG2VGA Forgotten?

#1 Post by AGP » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Does it seem to anyone else (based on their January newsletter) that their main focus right now is to release their commercial game and that QG2 has sort of been put on hold? Who remembers the February 2004 newsletter in which they said they didn't know when in 2004 it would be released, but that it would be released in 2004? Anyway, I'm just curious about the game, because every screenshot I saw of it rocked.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:40 pm

The game will be released when it is ready which will hopefully be sometime in the near future.

Also remember this game is completely FREE!

A LOT of work has and is being put into this game so it certaintly hasnt been forgotten about  ;)

Welcome to the forums btw!  :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:56 pm

No, we haven't forgotten about it. A few weeks ago though, we had to take our focus off it and put our efforts into the beta phase of Al Emmo. Every now and then, we make the occasional tweak here and there in QFG2VGA, but at the same time, we want the beta phase of our commercial project to be over as soon as possible.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#4 Post by Da_elf » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:01 pm

will there be a list published of those lucky few who got chosen to test al emmo?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:51 pm

I assume from that post that it's already done.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:48 am

Yeah, I'd say QFG2VGA is forgotten at the moment - like Erpy said, they really have to focus on the release of the commercial game, Al Emmo.  I can empathize with that - Al Emmo's success and release is paramount to AGDI's continued success.

I'd say as soon as the pre-release rushing of Al Emmo dies away, QFG2VGA will be right around the corner.  Like I've been saying for the past four years, I can't WAIT for QFG2VGA... I get excited more and more about it.  I played the original again recently, and as I work more on my own Sierra Remake, I can appreciate the fun and work it is to remake one.  I can't wait to see what they've done with it - but, heh, I guess I'll have to wait.  

Patience - remember, in adventure games AND real life - good things come to those who wait.

Bt

Psycho_Kenshin
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Psycho_Kenshin » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:03 pm

This game is surely not forgotten... we're talking about it right now, after all. :p

This game is a labor of pure love, and it will be pure hotness that we won't ever forget.  :hat

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by AGP » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:02 pm

Cool. Thanks everyone. But give us a new journal, already!

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

Re: QG2VGA Forgotten?

#9 Post by Vipt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:15 am

AGP wrote:Does it seem to anyone else (based on their January newsletter) that their main focus right now is to release their commercial game and that QG2 has sort of been put on hold? Who remembers the February 2004 newsletter in which they said they didn't know when in 2004 it would be released, but that it would be released in 2004? Anyway, I'm just curious about the game, because every screenshot I saw of it rocked.
It just goes to show you the danger of trusting too much in projected release time frames. There can be lots of unexpected drawbacks in game development, especially when such a small team is working on two concurrent titles. I too expected the game to be released by this time, but I can certainly understand how the development of Al Emmo and the preparation for its release has hampered (to some extent) QfG2VGA's development at the same time. The prioritization of the one over the other is to be expected when a company is working on one project that will be free, and another that is slated for commercial release. But that's no reason to rush the free project, else we'd end up with a really buggy game. And no one wants that.

MordavianKnight
Peasant Status

#10 Post by MordavianKnight » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:30 am

I think it's  awsome you guys are even doing it   i played your KQ2 VGA and though it was awsome, really good speech pack by the way,
but arnt you even gunna give us a demo to play with for the time being? Please.......  :D

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#11 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:05 am

I don't believe in demos. They simply make you want the game more. It makes it worse.

BTW, why are you colouring your posts like that. What's the point? You think we won't notice it?

Relight
Archival Expert

#12 Post by Relight » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 am

Well, I was amused and entertained by the colours!

I like demos. A screenshot demo of QFG2VGA would be pretty cool. I mean, even if it just collected the screenshots we've already seen, that would be cool. You know, have a bit of music and have a little bit of animation.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#13 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:56 am

Yea a rolling demo wets the appetite!

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:31 pm

Relight wrote:Well, I was amused and entertained by the colours!

I like demos. A screenshot demo of QFG2VGA would be pretty cool. I mean, even if it just collected the screenshots we've already seen, that would be cool. You know, have a bit of music and have a little bit of animation.
That's not a bad idear at all.  That would be pretty easy, and fun.

Bt

Da_elf
Knight Status

#15 Post by Da_elf » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:31 pm

darn thing is that while i wait for gfg's release i also wait for apprentice3 and when i wait for apprentice3 i wait for gfg. vicious cycle

flowerbud
Peasant Status

quets for glory 2 remake

#16 Post by flowerbud » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:11 am

i hoep they will udate it soon i know they did another game. but i love to be able to play this one.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#17 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:34 am

Patience - remember, in adventure games AND real life - good things come to those who wait.
Patience is only a good thing when you're waiting for the right thing ;) . I've been wanting a QFG 2 VGA ever since I was 10 years old (maybe even more!) and I firmly believe that it is finally going to happen... and very soon, too. I've been saying this every single march of every year... I just hope it comes out this summer! Except this time, I'm pretty darn confident that it will! :D

Personally, I think I'm going to replay the QFG series again in the meantime.

Cool. Thanks everyone. But give us a new journal, already!
Yeah, I agree that some info on what's going on in the lives of the AGDs would be interesting about now, seeing that it's been a few months ever since the last one.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#18 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:43 am

Heh, it'd be pretty funny if they actually did update the journal with a single line saying "There's nothing new going on, but here's your journal. Have a nice day :)."

oriel
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by oriel » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:28 am

What's the reason AGD doesn't find another programmer with some free time to grind through the coding of QFG II?

I'm sure there's alot of quality programmers out there with extra free time on their hands.  For example, look at the demo for a game this guy made.  Like QFG II remake, he took existing games of the past, and compiled something totally new and to his custom liking:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net ... oxgame_pop

OK, on a serious note, how come you don't find someone who is willing to help?  If I know coding, I'd definantly volunteer my time.

Oriel

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#20 Post by Erpy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:37 am

If there was any new stuff to add, that might be an option, but that's no longer the case. The only remaining thing to be done is root out the more obscure/complicated bugs in there. Adding another scripter to the team basically means we'll need to spend a lot of time "training" him, making it clear where all the code for all the game elements is to be found and what can/can't be safely altered.

I'm sure there's a lot of skilled scripters around, but getting a scripter without experience with the project on the team at this particular stage might do more harm than good.

oriel
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by oriel » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:43 pm

OK sounds fair enough.  Then how about finding volunteers for the beta testing?

Oriel

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by AGP » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:17 pm

Or alpha testing? Me? Please? I do tend to follow weirds lines of thought and try things likely to be unexpected.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#23 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:49 pm

From my understanding, the list of bugs is already long enough. They are trying to work through it prior to commencing beta testing. No sense in beta testing now... the testers would only be reporting already known issues.

Patience people... patience...

Groveborn1234
Peasant Status

#24 Post by Groveborn1234 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:08 am

Yeah, wait till they think they've got all the bugs, then they'll do beta testing so they KNOW they've got the bugs.  Then we get a happy pretty bug free game.  Much better than the game I made.  It's still alpha.  Never going to get out of alpha either.

holly08
Peasant Status

quest for glory remake

#25 Post by holly08 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:59 pm

yup getting the bugs out of the game is important i just wish i could play it. I already played 1 and 3.