Themes to look forward to...

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

Themes to look forward to...

#1 Post by johnb4467 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:22 am

Well since the vast majority of us will be getting to play QG2VGA with Tom's remastered soundtrack for the very first time (only those lucky few who had an MT-32 are the exception), I thought it might be fun to see which theme you'll be most excited to hear in all its glory...and maybe also which theme you think will benefit the most from it. This also serves as a good reminder that the QG2 soundtrack is available at Quest Studios NOW!

I myself am extremely excited for a lot of the music, as I think it adds a vast amount to the gaming experience. The one I think will benefit most is the Raseir theme, simply because I've heard it from Tom's site...wow -- makes it DEFINITELY a place you wouldn't want to go walking in at night!

As far as the theme I'm most excited to hear, I can't help but love the childish fun of Keapon Laffin's shop, or of the Dirvish. I'm quite excited for ALL of them, but those two popped to mind for just being plain-out FUN!

Psycho_Kenshin
Peasant Status

#2 Post by Psycho_Kenshin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:40 am

Yeah its gonna be great. Personally, I think the epic music from the caravan scenes will be great to hear remastered. And of course the intermission theme. :)

That reminds me, I think there's no music when fighting the elementals in Shapier. I always thought there should be a special version of the battle theme or some other intense music playing during those encounters.

Think they'll add music to parts that were silent before? In general I though QfG2 could have had more music.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:31 am

There are two situations that have music where there was no music before. The elemental encounters ain't one of them though.

QFG2 did have ambient sound or music in most of the screens already. And with the exception of Erana's peace music, it also had most songs that appeared in the original QFG1.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by johnb4467 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:35 am

Erpy wrote:And with the exception of Erana's peace music, it also had most songs that appeared in the original QFG1.

Huh, I hadn't noticed that almost all the themes had remained intact...of course they WERE put into Arabian flavour. ;)

Yeah, the caravan theme is pretty great...it was only a few years ago that I first saw Lawrence of Arabia (amazing, btw...), and I was like -- HEY...HEEEYY -- IT'S QFG2!!!"
[I also did this in the middle of my college History course when I found "Suleiman" in the text -- yes...I am a dork.]

Now that I think of it, I'm actually really, really looking forward to the menu screen/opening...that had such a great blend of themes...it really gave you a wonderful feeling for what was to come in the game. I'm also looking forward to WIT -- on a music AND gaming level. :)

QG2 definitely had a lot of ambient material. Walking the streets could feel a bit boring an uneventful, but you usually always had some sort of audible queues to add to your environment.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:04 pm

Huh, I hadn't noticed that almost all the themes had remained intact...of course they WERE put into Arabian flavour.
The following themes more or less transferred across:

- QFG Theme: QFG2 has an arabic version of the QFG-theme and the QFG-theme is also audible in the Shapeirian alleyways if you have the right sound card.
- Combat themes: Transferred directly across.
- Death music: Ditto
- Baba Yaga's theme: Both Harik's apothecary and the fire room in the forbidden city are variations on this theme.
- Kobold cave music: Khaveen's bedroom music is a close variation of this song.
- Thief music: transferred directly across.

Shade
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Shade » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:32 am

Did Mark Seibert write the music for other Sierra games?

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:49 am

Other than QFG1? Why, yes. He was their first hired musician (that stayed onboard Sierra) and became Music Director and then later on Producer.

Games he's written for:

Police Quest 2
Conquests of Camelot (favourite!)
Codename: Iceman
King's Quest 5 (along with Ken Allen)
Conquests of the Longbow (helped out Aubrey Hodges)
King's Quest 6 (Girl in the Tower)
King's Quest 7 (Along with Jay Usher)
Phantasmagoria
Mask of Eternity (Helped out other musicians such as Ben Houge)

He's directed and helped out with soundtracks from all kinds of other Sierra games these are most of the ones he was heavily involved in composition-wise. He happens to be my favourite Sierra composer, too!