New KQ collection

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

theMaxxx
Peasant Status

New KQ collection

#1 Post by theMaxxx » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:47 pm

A new KQ compilation is supposed to be released later this year by Sierra.
Great idea.
Does anyone have any additional information?
Will the released games be identical to the original or will there be modifications?
Will KQ6 feature the hi-def portraits?
I think simultaneous text and speech should be possible in KQ5-6-7.
Will they include every version of the games or will they only include the remake of KQ1 for exemple?
I also suggest a "try again" feature, allowing the player to experiment with death even though he hasnt saved.

Finally... I believe a good part of the revival in KQ's interest are the unofficial remakes. Thus, will Sierra include AGDI's KQ1 and KQ2? Why not include KQ3 and the first part of KQ9?

I think Sierra (Vivendi) should take the time to create the ultimate KQ collection and make the fans happy...

So what do you think?
Does anyone have any inside info on the KQ collection?
What should be included to make this the ultimate kq collection?

Maxxx

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#2 Post by Vroomfondel » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:17 pm

I believe these collections are simply "modified to work on XP". In other words, the company will probably throw a copy of DosBox in with the games. I know nothing for sure, but I highly doubt that part 1 of KQIX and/or AGDI's KQ1 and 2 remakes will be included. It'd be nice, but it's not going to happen.

Psycho_Kenshin
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Psycho_Kenshin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:47 am

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 8&v=glance

According to Amazon, its $19.99 and hits on March 30th. Of course, that date could just be a placeholder. Also they have the upcoming Space Quest collection listed. Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry also have release dates on March 30th.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=541966

kevinmenzel
Peasant Status

#4 Post by kevinmenzel » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:39 pm

Looks like the date has been pushed to December 31st, 2006. (Yeesh - even microsoft has the decency to only delay things in three to four month increments)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:43 pm

even that day looks like a place holder just building interest. It's not like it's even hard to port these titles unless they're being completly revamped with voices in all of them but even then it would be more than 19.99 so it's most likely building interest and taking away from Ebay sales.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

Only time will tell

#6 Post by Jontas » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:30 pm

Well I'm not going to hold my breath anymore, I had preordered the KQ compilation on Amazon, but now that they pushed the date back, I decided to discontinue that.
 Just when Vivendi started to redeem themselves in my eyes, they go and pull a stunt like this. I mean this is just unprofessional and false advertising to say the least.
 Vivendi you just continue to disappoint, shame on you all!

Thats enough venting from me, later.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#7 Post by Gronagor » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:01 am

Perhaps they've decided to turn all the KQ's into KQ8 style!!
Just kidding.

What would be nice to find on the CDs other than the games?? Wallpapers?? Desktop themes?? Removed/never seen before material??Any other ideas?  Let's create a list of extra fun stuff we want on the CDs and send it through to them.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:53 am

It might not even be that anything will be on the compilation discs. Might be something totally unrelated, let's not forget.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:59 pm

or it's lazy jerks. Speculation of course.

Shade
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Shade » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:37 pm

I'm keeping my preorder with them.  I figure if they see people are willing to purchase the game has a better chance of being released.  Besides, if it never gets published then I never get charged.

Shade
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Shade » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:45 pm

On another message board soemone suggested the delay could be related to the release date foo Windows Vista.  Anyone think so?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#12 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:54 pm

it's about as likely as them waiting for QFGIIVGA for their comppilation.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

Yet more wishfull thinking

#13 Post by Jontas » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:48 pm

Or the release of the Silver Lining - Shadows (formerly KQIX) for that matter, which by the way I just can't wait for.

Can you imagine though, a Kings Quest compilation with KQ I&II VGA and Shadows on it (Since those are the only fangames that have been granted licenses from Vivendi). That would be unbelievable... oh wait... that is unbelievable, nevermind.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re: Yet more wishfull thinking

#14 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:57 pm

Jontas wrote:Or the release of the Silver Lining - Shadows (formerly KQIX) for that matter, which by the way I just can't wait for.

Can you imagine though, a Kings Quest compilation with KQ I&II VGA and Shadows on it (Since those are the only fangames that have been granted licenses from Vivendi). That would be unbelievable... oh wait... that is unbelievable, nevermind.
As in Shadows of Darkness? If that's so who has permission?

MusicallyInspired

#15 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:20 pm

Read more carefuly, QFGF, he wasn't talking about Quest For Glory he was talking about what the King's Quest 9 fangame has been renamed to:

The Silver Lining - Shadows. Shadows being the first chapter of the 3-part game.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#16 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:30 am

I knew that but I didn't know Shadows was the last part of it or that it had been reffered to as simply shadows. I geuss I haven't been keeping up on that project very much. The only other connection I could make was QFG but I thought it sounded strange hence why I asked. I geuss I'm just to QFGF for my own good.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#17 Post by Vroomfondel » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:34 am

Meh, VU isn't going to bother putting shiznit on the discs. They're not going to bother putting "extras" in these collections. They're going to put a CD in a box with a paper advertising the $19.99 Strategy Guide from Prima and a catalog of other products from them. And who really cares if KQ9 is going to be on it?

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by Jontas » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 am

Honestly I don't expect much from VU at all, I was kinda goofing around with my wishfull thinking, I don't really expect anything like that from Vivendi. Come to think of it I don't know what we could possibly hope for for $19.99 - the original releases and dosbox maybe, lol.
(by the way that was a joke, no need to reply and tell me how unlikely that would be)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#19 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:39 pm

I knew he was joking. I was all just dragging on to much hope for fun.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:39 pm

I don't care.  I own them all already!

Bt

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#21 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:09 pm

I'd buy aQFG one or sppace quest but not the others I geuss I just need games with a little humour. Probably why I liked Broken Sword as well. I don't know why I don't like Leisure Suit Larry. I geuss I just wasn't the target audience.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by Jontas » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:27 am

I just found Leisure Suit Lary to be frustrating, I mean you jump through all these hoops just to prove you're at least 18 and nada (not even a nip).
I later realised that age verification check was more of a proof of purchase check, to teach punk kids like me not to copy the game from friends.

TravisOwens
Peasant Status

#23 Post by TravisOwens » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:39 pm

Even if you already own the previous King's Quest/Space Quest collections you should still buy these collections and here's why.

It's the ONLY way to prove to these companies that adventure games still hold a place in our heart.  If these sales exceed expectations then VU will have to take notice of our market.  They might even commission new adventure games (long shot).  By not buying these collections you're only reducing sales and making VU think it was a waste of their time.

Why is VU re-releasing these collection CDs?

It's not because they like is, it's because they finally took notice of the collection CDs selling for over $100 a pop on eBay, they want in on the profit.

Will these collections include game improvements?

As a programmer I can tell you they won't be replacing anything in-game with "hi def" as that would require a MASSIVE update to their game engines to supports higher resolutions which takes a lot of time and a lot of testing, both of which require A LOT of money and you wouldn't get the game for $20, it would be $50 easily.

All you're probably going to get is the previous collection CDs that were released 10yrs ago and they work fine in XP.  They'll probably wrap the games in their own DosBox borrowed code.  We might get a bugfix or two, but I suspect this to just be the finial versions of the games + timer fixes wrapped inside an XP compatible dos layer.

MusicallyInspired

#24 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:21 pm

All you're probably going to get is the previous collection CDs that were released 10yrs ago and they work fine in XP.
Hah!

Other than that sentence, I agree with everything you've said.

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#25 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:36 am

TravisOwens wrote:Even if you already own the previous King's Quest/Space Quest collections you should still buy these collections and here's why.

It's the ONLY way to prove to these companies that adventure games still hold a place in our heart.  If these sales exceed expectations then VU will have to take notice of our market.  They might even commission new adventure games (long shot).  By not buying these collections you're only reducing sales and making VU think it was a waste of their time.
Yeah, right. So I should buy them just to show VU that "adventure games still hold a place in my heart". I spent an awful lot of money trying to get the originals, I am not even thinking about getting the new collections. Especially not if they're just stupid repackagings without improvements whatsoever (i.e. not Windows compatible), simply crappy cash-in releases.

TravisOwens wrote:All you're probably going to get is the previous collection CDs that were released 10yrs ago and they work fine in XP.  They'll probably wrap the games in their own DosBox borrowed code.  We might get a bugfix or two, but I suspect this to just be the finial versions of the games + timer fixes wrapped inside an XP compatible dos layer.
I'd be surprised if they would do that much. Besides, these things are not coming out anytime soon anyway. The release date will be pushed back at least another ten times and then the product will probably be canceled before release. I know the story. Nothing exciting to see here.