Hero6 visitors forum hacked

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

Hero6 visitors forum hacked

#1 Post by Swift » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:16 am

PHattiE wrote:I am considering remaking the hero6 visitor site. It has been hacked, and anyone who goes to the forums right now will get a virus.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#2 Post by Swift » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:47 am

Someone had hacked into the QFMG forums as well. Both seem to share similarites.

Both affect IE users who try to view the forums. This script downloads automatically when you access those boards using IE.

Both had forum members receiving emails claiming to be from the forums with the following message: "Please, help our forum - traffmoney.biz/dl/loadadv606", with a live link and to an exe. If you see such an email, delete it immediately.

Both forums were Invision forums, so it's most likely an Invision hack targetted at the vulnerabilties since Invision doesn't update anymore.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#3 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:03 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I've backed up the forums just in case....

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#4 Post by Swift » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:25 am

Fixed at last! Took me forever to find the hack!

It was in the board wrapper all along.

Unfortunately, the forums are still down because we're planning to convert it to something more stable.

Vertius
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Vertius » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:54 pm

More hacking. Someone's got some hate for people making Adventure games, you'd think.

First IA, now this. Hopefully you can get the forums up again soon.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#6 Post by Swift » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:24 pm

On the contrary, it appears more like an attack against all sites that used the outdated Invision forums, rather than an attack against game-making sites. Thanks for your concern. The forums will be up as soon as it gets converted.

Broomie
The Enigma

#7 Post by Broomie » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:32 pm

Swift wrote:On the contrary, it appears more like an attack against all sites that used the outdated Invision forums, rather than an attack against game-making sites. Thanks for your concern. The forums will be up as soon as it gets converted.
What is your source? If that is so and we experience another attack I'll most likely switch to phpBB. Crap but hey it works.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#8 Post by Boogeyman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:59 am

Whoever did this had better not try it here!

Broomie
The Enigma

#9 Post by Broomie » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:36 pm

I doubt it, since Swift did say it seems to be an attack on outdated Invision Boards instead of a direct attack to gaming if you read it.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#10 Post by Swift » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:15 am

Jamie wrote:What is your source? If that is so and we experience another attack I'll most likely switch to phpBB. Crap but hey it works.
IA, QFMG and Hero6 all used the Invision forums (free version). IA forums were attacked last month, QFMG forums were attacked two weeks ago, then Hero6 last week, then QFMG forums again last week. If it's just an attack on game making groups, then there's no reason for QFMG forums to be attacked at all, let alone twice.

Plus, while googling for how the iframes hack worked, I came across other Invision forums that were also hacked during this period, and there was talk about how easy it is to hack into the 1.3.1 version. Most likely there's a security hole in the 1.3.1 Final version that allows hackers to exploit it.

Broomie
The Enigma

#11 Post by Broomie » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:11 am

Swift wrote:
Jamie wrote:What is your source? If that is so and we experience another attack I'll most likely switch to phpBB. Crap but hey it works.
IA, QFMG and Hero6 all used the Invision forums (free version). IA forums were attacked last month, QFMG forums were attacked two weeks ago, then Hero6 last week, then QFMG forums again last week. If it's just an attack on game making groups, then there's no reason for QFMG forums to be attacked at all, let alone twice.

Plus, while googling for how the iframes hack worked, I came across other Invision forums that were also hacked during this period, and there was talk about how easy it is to hack into the 1.3.1 version. Most likely there's a security hole in the 1.3.1 Final version that allows hackers to exploit it.
Well, even so we've covered so if that is the case we shouldn't be getting hacked for that reason from now on.  ;)

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#12 Post by Swift » Fri May 05, 2006 6:17 pm

The forums are now back with a brand new design and new features.

Hero6

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by Alistair » Mon May 08, 2006 12:44 pm

Wow, rough luck, guys- I really like the Invision style of forum (though I love phpBB for its' simplicity, also).

Loved the Hero6 project for aeons, it feels like (2 teams since I started following it ;) ). Kudos for getting it back up!

- Alistair

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#14 Post by Swift » Mon May 08, 2006 5:24 pm

Thanks. :)