Quest for Glory IV Problem

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

Quest for Glory IV Problem

#1 Post by Vildern » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:51 pm

Hey, I've recently installed QG4 and it's fantastic. Just one thing. I play the game with VDMSrun + the timer patches and it works fine, until I reach a combat.

Then, when I swing my sword (or when it hits), it gets stuck. To go around this problem, I quit the game, and reload it with Dosbox. I can then do combat, but one thing - there is no voice with dosbox.

VDMS - gets stuck during combats, when I swing my sword (or when it hits).
Dosbox - no voices.

Timer patches are installed.

Oh, and if I try the game with neither VDMS or Dosbox, then the music becomes a bit disotorted.

Running the game on XP.

Using compability doesn't seem to work.
Any solutions?

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#2 Post by Vroomfondel » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:07 pm

Hmm, well I suppose you could play without voices or music, but other than that, I'm not sure how to play it if you want those.

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Billetwound » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:25 am

Something i figured out is to copy all the files from the cd over to the QG4CD folder (That includes the huge Resource.AUD file) and that should get you the voices in the game.  I think it has issues from DOSBOX to the cd-drive so if you eliminate it lookin on the cd for that problem then it should fix it, also when you installed it to dos did you select FULL install that sometimes matters.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#4 Post by Vildern » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:03 am

That just might work, Billetwound, thanks!

I don't have the cd now, however, as I returned it. I'll try to get it back and see if your idea works.

Btw, welcome to the forums! :)

Lambonius
Knight Status

#5 Post by Lambonius » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:47 pm

with dosbox, i've found that just copying all the files off the cd into the game directory doesn't usually work.  if you don't own the cd, but can get your hands on it, you'll probably want to just copy the entire cd into a directory and then mount that directory as your cdrom drive in dosbox.  with games that play the voices from the cd, i've found that this is the only thing (short of having the cd itself) that works 100% of the time when using dosbox.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#6 Post by Vildern » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:05 am

I truly hope it'll work, as I pretty much gave up playing it, really...

Meliszabeth
Peasant Status

qfg4 voice in xp

#7 Post by Meliszabeth » Thu May 04, 2006 3:37 pm

If you got the cd back Vildern, here's what worked for me... I use Dosbox, also have XP, and have QfG4 working fine w/o the cd. Someone on the Dosbox forum has a good guide to getting voices working:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Got the job done here anyway :).

~Melissa~

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#8 Post by Vildern » Thu May 04, 2006 4:12 pm

Hey, that's swell, Meliszabeth! Unfortunately, it's a fairly busy time for me, so I've very little time for gaming... but one of the first things I'm gonna do when the pressure is lightened - is reinstalling QFG4 and trying these methods!

Thanks for this and have a warm welcome to our forums :)

gizzywiz
Peasant Status

#9 Post by gizzywiz » Thu May 04, 2006 8:43 pm

DOS box and VDMSound are not necessarry to run QfG4 on XP.  All files have a compatibility tab in the properties that will allow it to run in older Windows modes (Win95/98/NT/2000).  The Windows installation of the game will work with Win95 (Win98 may too).

Meliszabeth
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Meliszabeth » Fri May 05, 2006 12:24 am

Well, usually the problems with qfg4 in a newer pc is processor speed - being too fast. Sure it QfG4 will run ok and play for awhile, but then it gets so it's it goes too fast to get what you need to do done. I have a 98 pc (slower) I used to play qfg on, wasn't easy. Combat was too much. Balls of fire flyin like crazy, dead in 2 seconds! [spoiler]Couldn't get past the Chernovy in the swamp, and you have to to complete the game. [/spoiler]

Dosbox seems to have a built in perfect processor speed for QfG (486). I just discovered it and love it to pieces! :D

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#11 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri May 05, 2006 5:29 am

Let's not forget about NewRisingSun's unofficial speed patches...

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Alistair » Mon May 08, 2006 12:43 pm

QFG4 with VDMS suffers from slow MIDI music, so I'd recommend DOSBOX in this case. THe combat problem mentioned earlier is almost definitely an audio one. I'd need to see a resource.cfg file, to hear what his/her sound card was in XP, and to ask if they got the 'unable to initialise audio hardware' message (though, I suspect not).

- Alistair