The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Broomie
The Enigma

#1201 Post by Broomie » Wed May 10, 2006 10:53 pm

The PS3 in no way interests me whatsoever. Sorry, I'm not a Nintendo Fanboy but it's not just the Playstation, I hate everything Sony. From Sony Bravia to Sony Handycam, they just can't ever do it right.

I do hope it does as well as the PSP, meaning failure. :)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1202 Post by Angelus3K » Thu May 11, 2006 6:16 am

What are you on about Broomie? Did you watch the Sony conference? The games looked amazing!

Go watch it for yourself, I think Gamespot offers them to the public.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1203 Post by Pidgeot » Thu May 11, 2006 9:39 am

If the PS3 is so good, why was there virtually NO reaction from the crowd until MGS4 came up? ;)

Besides, haven't you learned anything from watching Nintendo's conference? It's not about the graphics, it's about the gameplay.
Last edited by Pidgeot on Thu May 11, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#1204 Post by Spikey » Thu May 11, 2006 1:08 pm

Fire Emblem Wii? Omg.

*Dies*

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1205 Post by Pidgeot » Thu May 11, 2006 2:34 pm

Reportedly, the Wii will include Wii Sports and Wii Music (that conductor-thingy) at no extra cost. Whether or not they will be built-in or included on a disc is unknown.

All this at the low, low price of $249 - at least, that's the latest rumour on the price point, and it might even end up being $199, if previous Nintendo consoles are anything to go by.

Also: The next Super Smash Bros. game (Super Smash. Bros. Brawl) will not only feature the first 3rd-party character ever in the series - Snake of Metal Gear Solid - but wil have had it's theme song (possibly the entire soundtrack?) composed by Nobuo Uematsu.

SSBB Trailer

EDIT: Bleh, I've become too used to the alternative BBCode we use on a site I run...
Last edited by Pidgeot on Thu May 11, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Broomie
The Enigma

#1206 Post by Broomie » Thu May 11, 2006 3:04 pm

The PS3 could have the most mind numbing graphics ever known to man, but if I'm still playing games made in 1990 which are seen as awful graphics when you compare them to modern day games then it's the gameplay and enjoyment.

I've seen the PS3 videos, it doesn't interest me at all.

I've seen the Wii videos, however. They're making me drool with awesomeness.

Yet that's my opinion, it's no point arguing over because I don't want you to change your opinion.

Vertius
Peasant Status

#1207 Post by Vertius » Thu May 11, 2006 3:57 pm

PS3 = RPGs.

It's enough to get me to buy it. I'll get the Wii aswell. It seems that the Nintendo Press Conference convinced loads of people to get the Wii.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1208 Post by Angelus3K » Thu May 11, 2006 7:15 pm

I agree the Sony conferance was overall boring but had a lot of information like release, availablity and price.

Whilst the Nintendo one was great presentation wise but lacked in any real info.

I think the MS conference won this year, they showed alot of new stuff and alot of new games, so well done to them.

I'll be getting a Wii and a PS3 and I know they'll both rock!!

Hey Pidge I hope the free Wii sports thing gets confirmed!! Its a must really!

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#1209 Post by Vroomfondel » Thu May 11, 2006 11:33 pm

I would consider myself a Nintendo Fanboy, so I'm going to be sure that I get my mits on one when it comes out. And your assessment of Nintendo is entirely correct, Pidgeot: It's about the games, not graphics. Which is one of the reasons why I love Nintendo. And Spikey: FE for Wii!!!!!!!!111 Awesomeness!!!!

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1210 Post by Pidgeot » Fri May 12, 2006 10:59 am

Latest update on the Wii price: A site spoke with a developer about the Wii price. That developer said they couldn't reveal it yet, but he said it would be somewhere between $149 and $299. At that point, his colleague quickly entered the conversation and said that it would "without a doubt", be closer to $149. So right now, $199 seems likely, although this is not officially confirmed.

Also, the Nunchuck will be included with every Wiimote.

As for the Virtual Console, they're still working on getting the rights to distribute 3rd party games, but right now, there's no chance of getting GoldenEye (N64). Games will be released over time, and they expect to have lists over what will be released 2-3 months into the future.

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#1211 Post by Alistair » Fri May 12, 2006 12:11 pm

I agree with Vroom. I immediately thought of Nintendo/Camelot's Golden Sun with that description.

- Alistair

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1212 Post by Pidgeot » Sat May 13, 2006 12:29 am

3 great things that happened to me during this E3:

1. Seeing the Nintendo press conference.
2. Seeing the trailer for Super Smash Bros. Brawl and being extremely impressed.
3. Getting confirmation of an English translation of Gyakuten Saiban 2 - I truly love that series :D

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1213 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun May 14, 2006 7:36 pm

Everyone now seems quite sre that Wii is their choice and Snake in SSMB might make me stop playing Link all the time. I can only hope that more than 10 games of my interest come out within the first 6 months. I haven't touched my DS since I went to the hospital and had to wait around for three days. We all know that the PS3 will eventually drop in price after 2 years or so and the games that will be "Greatest hits" will be good enoguh for me along with some deals here and there. I got my PS2 3 years after my GC and within a month my libraries were simmilar in size (30GC-25PS2 roughly) and it didn't cost me my inheritance. Basically what I'm saying is that right now Wii looks like the best option so far with it's starting price being low (and probably not changing or at least untill the next NEXT gen.) and all of it's innovation can be only fun. To be honest I was getting sick of the run of the  mill controllers too.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#1214 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun May 14, 2006 10:21 pm

That's pretty cool that they're starting to accept outside mascot/console-exclusive characters. Always thought Soul Caliber 2 was cool for doing that. I used to always play as Link in SSBM until I started playing Marth. Since he's more about the sword than Link is (in this game, anyway) I thought it funner. I always have Marth/Roy battles with my brother. We have some pretty good ones, too.

Can't wait for the Wii. That's my system of choice. I haven't touched a playstation since Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi. And I've only ever played Halo on the XBox (until I got the PC version, anyway).

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1215 Post by Angelus3K » Mon May 15, 2006 6:41 am

I read that Hideo Kojima begged Nintendo to include Snake in Smash Brothers for GC but due to time contraints they couldnt.

Its great they hooked up for the Wii version.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#1216 Post by Spikey » Wed May 17, 2006 9:54 am

Angelus3K wrote:I agree the Sony conferance was overall boring but had a lot of information like release, availablity and price.

Whilst the Nintendo one was great presentation wise but lacked in any real info.

I think the MS conference won this year, they showed alot of new stuff and alot of new games, so well done to them.

I'll be getting a Wii and a PS3 and I know they'll both rock!!

Hey Pidge I hope the free Wii sports thing gets confirmed!! Its a must really!
Do you know that forecasting rationalization / argumentation of consumer choices by individuals are more likely to end up being less satisfied with their choice? If it "feels" good without rationalization, consumers are more likely to be satsified. But heh, I don't know what effect me telling you this will have.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1217 Post by Angelus3K » Wed May 17, 2006 10:00 am

I think I know what you mean, your saying that you'll be having second thoughts after you've bought it?

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#1218 Post by Spikey » Wed May 17, 2006 8:44 pm

Well no not really.

If people know that they will have to justify their reasons for buying a certain good in the future (so BEFORE they buy it), they start to think of reasons for buying this or that. This is likely to lead to less satisfaction as to when you buy on impulse. Usually people consult their general feeling when they buy something (it "feels" good), without justifying it with rational reasons.

So in short, making an "experience" of E3 instead of revealing a lot of details could be a good marketing strategy.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1219 Post by Angelus3K » Sun May 28, 2006 7:12 pm

Popped into GAME yesterday and pre-ordered a DS Lite!! NEW Super Mario Bros here I come!!

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#1220 Post by Spikey » Mon May 29, 2006 10:09 am

Angelus3K wrote:Popped into GAME yesterday and pre-ordered a DS Lite!! NEW Super Mario Bros here I come!!
I'm soooooo getting the DS Lite as well.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1221 Post by Angelus3K » Mon May 29, 2006 11:34 am

Spikey wrote:
Angelus3K wrote:Popped into GAME yesterday and pre-ordered a DS Lite!! NEW Super Mario Bros here I come!!
Look forward to playing you on Mario Kart or something ;)

Broomie
The Enigma

#1222 Post by Broomie » Mon May 29, 2006 1:18 pm

I'm getting the DS Lite when it comes out here. We don't do pre-ordering at Currys so once we get stock of them, regardless if they're available to the public or not I'll just buy one.

My friend bought a DS Lite from yesasia.com and it works perfectly yet he paid abit more money for it. It is so great, I always ask if I can have a go.

Angelus, I recommend you get Kirby: Canvas Curse, it's the most original game I've played on the DS.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#1223 Post by Spikey » Tue May 30, 2006 10:26 pm

Angelus3K wrote:
Spikey wrote:
Look forward to playing you on Mario Kart or something ;)
You bet ya. But first I have to buy Mario & Luigi, and Another Code.....seems like the adventure genre is back with the DS, so I really need to buy the latter.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1224 Post by Angelus3K » Wed May 31, 2006 8:58 am

Is there a Mario and Luigi Superstar saga for DS or just GBA?

I played a little of the first GBA one and it was amazing, just like Mario RPG which is god!

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1225 Post by Pidgeot » Wed May 31, 2006 10:51 am

DS has Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, which is similar to Superstar Saga.