I'm waiting patiently for QFG 2

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

oriel
Royal Servant Status

I'm waiting patiently for QFG 2

#1 Post by oriel » Tue May 23, 2006 8:13 am

I'm not asking for updates.

I haven't even visited the site in so long that it left my history.

I can't believe how many people are asking about an update on QFG II, and not about Al Emmo.  

If incase you haven't fully realized, they're not getting paid for their remakes.  They only do it to satisfy you.  Constantly barraging them with annoying requests for updates, betas, alphas, journals, whatever, is putting unnecessary pressure on their already tight schedule.

It's obvious that either the guys are going to finish Al Emmo first, or you should be patient and respectful enough to let them finish Al Emmo first.

I have nothing but respect for the team.  You guys do amazing work.

Oriel

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#2 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue May 23, 2006 5:15 pm

Well, I don't!

Gimme Quest For Glory II, you crummy dogs!

Bt

gamecreator
Knight Status

#3 Post by gamecreator » Tue May 23, 2006 6:49 pm

Last week, when the AGDs promised me, in a personal private message, that the multiplayer option of the Quest for Glory 2 remake will support up to 32 players at once, I was happy.  But then I realised that considering the already existing delays, this might push back the June 2006 release date further.  So I suggested that they either do the multiplayer aspect as an expansion pack, or at least not make all of the characters 3D.   So they said they'll think about it.  But we're definitely still keeping the choir performances for the Ad Avis battle and Edward Norton is still in for the voice of the narrator.  Most of that's already been recorded so there's no harm in wrapping that session up.

And that's all I want to say about my imaginary conversations with the AGDs.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#4 Post by Paladinlover » Thu May 25, 2006 6:20 pm

If incase you haven't fully realized, they're not getting paid for their remakes.  They only do it to satisfy you.  Constantly barraging them with annoying requests for updates, betas, alphas, journals, whatever, is putting unnecessary pressure on their already tight schedule.
Many people here already know that they're doing it for the sake of bringing back a classic game to full-blazing VGA. One thing that I would have to say is that the AGDs don't find it as irriatating as you think, and to top it all, the reason why they made the remakes in the first place is because of their love of those games and not to cater to some whims and fancies of a bunch of a nostalgic fanboys. If it wasn't for their accumulated experiance from making KQ 1 and 2 VGA (and the work they did so far to make QFG 2 VGA possible) then going commerical would have been a lot harder for them, and success would have been nearly impossible since very few people would have known them or even cared about them.

To top it all, why do you claim to know anything about the schedual of the AGDs? While I'm sure they have a lot of work on their hands (and in every meaning of the word), do you really think it is good and proper to behave in such a condescending manner towards them?

Do you believe that bragging about your patience or maturity will make you more patient and mature? I don't think so, because really mature people don't go around trying to defend people who don't need defending (the AGDs are more than capable of taking care of themselves).

I don't mean to sound offensive, but people like you, in my opinion, tend to be more annoying and harmful to a forum than folks who constantly ask questions about mundane things. So please just suck your ego up for a moment and relax. We all think the AGDs are doing a fantasic job and no one means them any harm... not even Blackthrone with all his demands and remarks!
I can't believe how many people are asking about an update on QFG II, and not about Al Emmo.  
This is because Al Emmo is a brand new game series, although that is exciting and interesting, most people put off questions about it because few people really want to know all that much. On the other hand, there have been people who have been wishing for a remake of QFG 2 for the past 14 years. That dream is nearly coming true, and this is why there is so much excitement about the matter.
I have nothing but respect for the team.  You guys do amazing work.
Everyone here respects them, and I have far more respect than most others (I remember I offered to send them $100 several years ago, but they graciously refused my offer) and I helped them do their work by sending them Brian's SCI studio (the Beta that had the ability to open QFG 2 and browse through the views, backgrounds and texts within the game) and this helped greatly, accroding to Erpy.

People ask constantly because they're excited, and while it can getting annoying for everyone, it is unavoidable for a thing like this. Imagine the feeling you get after waiting for many, many years for something and you're just within arms reach of it and you'll know how I feel.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#5 Post by Vroomfondel » Fri May 26, 2006 3:52 am

Hasn't this been discussed to death?

dreammaster
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by dreammaster » Fri May 26, 2006 5:13 am

Yeh, but let's face it, what else is there to discuss whilst we wait?  :rollin

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#7 Post by Angelus3K » Fri May 26, 2006 7:00 am

All anyone can do is wait and be safe in the knowledge that it does exist (I've played it and boy is it amazing!!) and it WILL be coming out.

There's not much else to say except go buy Al Emmo and that'll tide you over till QFG2.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#8 Post by Paladinlover » Sat May 27, 2006 4:05 pm

Hasn't this been discussed to death?
Yes it has, but unfortunately there are always people who out there who wish to tout their supposed virtues while throwing out insults (implied or explicitly stated) at others who would rather have a few words to chat about a subject. Ironically, he states that asking qustions about Al Emmo is OK, but if we were to do that, folks like him will just come up and rail at us for not waiting for the thing. All of us here are going to wait just fine for them to finish Al Emmo (and I'll be trying to do my very best to be the first to buy it) and all of know they're not going to get paid for QFG 2 and we all know that they're doing it for the love of those old games. It ticks me off to no end how these people just come in and start sprouting arrogant and disparaging statements while having no idea what they're talking about or even whom they're talking too.

It isn't just this case, but countless other websites, which is why I rarely go there and even then, tend to tread very softly.

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

haradan
Knight Status

#9 Post by haradan » Sun May 28, 2006 4:48 am

Hey Paladinlover, why are you so mad? I know, I know, I'm a newbie as well and here I am talking to you as if I knew you, but I just don't get it. How can these people or these kind of messages be HARMFUL to a forum? What's the problem if a fellow wants to make an statement or whatever? If you disagree just let it be, that's OK, but I feel your long and irritated answer just gives the issue a lot of importance (which I think, it doesn't deserve, IMHO).

I agree with you. The message is condescendent, but don't you think you are overreacting?
Till next time stay cool :smokin
Good idea! Let's be cool. ;)

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#10 Post by Paladinlover » Sun May 28, 2006 3:09 pm

Hey Paladinlover, why are you so mad? I know, I know, I'm a newbie as well and here I am talking to you as if I knew you, but I just don't get it. How can these people or these kind of messages be HARMFUL to a forum? What's the problem if a fellow wants to make an statement or whatever? If you disagree just let it be, that's OK, but I feel your long and irritated answer just gives the issue a lot of importance (which I think, it doesn't deserve, IMHO).  
Although I do have a slightly short temper and an anger problem every now and then (I solved most of it through 11 years of therapy). I'm not angry or petulant at the message, I'm just basically fatigued at the many times I've seen things like this and I've finally decided to stop being quiet and speak out against these sorts of things. I would wish I would go to the larger forums and do it, but the chances are very likely that it will do nothing other than provoke a massive flame war and people will simply accuse me of being stupid and meaningless. I don't wish to associate with these sort of people.

The reason why I write so much is basically because I have a great attention to detail and if I don't write every point and make it clear, the chances are very likely that I would be misunderstood. I've learned this a long time ago -- if you have something to say, say it all and leave nothing to be filled out by the readers.

I do not consider them to be too majorly harmful to the forum, and I must say, that he didn't give out his message rudely or arrogantly at all. I've seen people who behave like they're demons from hell, judging from the intensity of their rants and Oriel here is very cool and restrained by comparison to them. It's just that I'm very tired of these statements and want to actually make a stand for once and not simply shrug it off and walk away.
I agree with you. The message is condescendent, but don't you think you are overreacting?
People say I have a problem with overreaction, but I guess I learned that from my Mother. In any case, I would have to say I might be, but in all honesty I really think that what I'm saying is long overdue.

haradan
Knight Status

#11 Post by haradan » Wed May 31, 2006 1:20 am

People say I have a problem with overreaction, but I guess I learned that from my Mother. In any case, I would have to say I might be, but in all honesty I really think that what I'm saying is long overdue.
Fair enough. It's just that this is such a friendly forum, I wouldn't like it to change and for a moment I thought you were really angry. You know, there are some forums where you can no longer post a simple question without being treated as an idiot, whilst here there's a nice environment where newbies can ask the most stupid questions (now I'M being aggresive!) without fear. And that's just great, I think.

So, nothing personal. Cheers.

Senic
Peasant Status

#12 Post by Senic » Wed May 31, 2006 1:54 am

wow I haven't been here in a long time, I guess I never posted much anyway, but as far as this topic goes,
I kind of look on it as customer support.  Fans are looking forward to QFGII and want to find out when it's going to be released, and what is going on behind the scenes.
As far as I'm concerned it's part of the AGDs' "job" to keep their fans happy, by responding to their questions, even if that response is "Settle down we're workin on it!"
It's no less than what I would expect from any company, keeping a happy fan base is pretty essential.
It might be irritating to hear "When is it going to be released?" but honestly that is the question on my mind.
It's because of the devotion and understanding of the fans here that the AGDs don't have to post continuous updates, and can direct their time and attention to more important things.  but I don't think that a question on that order is unjustified, especially after a what, six month hiatus?
-Senic

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#13 Post by Paladinlover » Wed May 31, 2006 8:45 am

Fair enough. It's just that this is such a friendly forum, I wouldn't like it to change and for a moment I thought you were really angry.
It is, and all forums devoted to classic Sierra games are and always will be. That I assure you. :)
You know, there are some forums where you can no longer post a simple question without being treated as an idiot, whilst here there's a nice environment where newbies can ask the most stupid questions (now I'M being aggresive!) without fear. And that's just great, I think.
I know what you mean, I've been to countless forums and I've noticed that the folks there would jump at any and every opportunity to start a flame war, this is why I rarely go to places like that unless I absolutely must. Even then, I keep my posting as minimal as I can and tend to employ a lot of Socratic irony in order to keep some potential flamers thinking 'nah, he's not worth it'. Most of the time, it works pretty well.
It might be irritating to hear "When is it going to be released?" but honestly that is the question on my mind.
Perhaps I can answer your question, and perhaps I can propose a way how to make questions like that less irriatating and easier to answer.

Instead of asking for a release date, it would be far better to ask for an estimation of when they believe it might be released. This is better because there is no possible way to give an exact date for release of any game, program, or any product at all unless the company or individuals making it are making the finishing touches, and by that time it would be pretty obvious that its finished.

Here is another fact that needs mentioning. Never ever rush a programmer through their work, EVER. If a programmer is rushed, the result will be a shoddy product that would be nothing more than a pale shadow of what they intended to achieve. This doesn't just apply to making video games, but to everything else in life as well.
It's because of the devotion and understanding of the fans here that the AGDs don't have to post continuous updates, and can direct their time and attention to more important things.  but I don't think that a question on that order is unjustified, especially after a what, six month hiatus?
Just because they haven't made any 'offical' updates, doesn't mean work isn't going on on the project. The AGDs are working hard on two different projects along with other stuff.

QFG 2 VGA is basically finished, and the only thing that's really going on with that is hammering out bugs. There's not much to report when you're simply doing bug hunting. Tell me something, do you consider giving reports on washing a car to be newsworthy? Of course not, but building one is. Now that QFG 2 is done, the final touches are being made. I have a very strong sensation that it will be out before 2007 (even if it's only a few days before new years day!).

They'll make it there, don't worry. Right now we should probably be discussing issues like how Himalaya studios is going to grow up to be a sort of descendant from Sierra online and how the AGDs will be like Ken Williams, Lori and Corey Cole and every other of the old timers that we know and love.

And this reminds me... I do have to ask some questions regarding their future projects. I think I'll do it later today.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#14 Post by gamecreator » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:16 pm

Paladinlover wrote:there is no possible way to give an exact date for release of any game, program, or any product at all unless the company or individuals making it are making the finishing touches, and by that time it would be pretty obvious that its finished.

Here is another fact that needs mentioning. Never ever rush a programmer through their work, EVER. If a programmer is rushed, the result will be a shoddy product that would be nothing more than a pale shadow of what they intended to achieve. This doesn't just apply to making video games, but to everything else in life as well.
I just wanted to correct this because from my understanding, it's quite the opposite of "fact."  Yes, programmers are regularly rushed as standard operating procedure.  In the professional world there are deadlines and crunch times.  There are release dates out there now (feel free to Google) which date into specific months of 2007 (far from "finishing touches").  Please don't state things as facts unless you're absolutely sure you're right.  I also don't suggest using words like 'never' so freely.  The world is rarely so simple.

Dju
Peasant Status

#15 Post by Dju » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:58 am

gamecreator wrote:
Paladinlover wrote:there is no possible way to give an exact date for release of any game, program, or any product at all unless the company or individuals making it are making the finishing touches, and by that time it would be pretty obvious that its finished.

I just wanted to correct this because from my understanding, it's quite the opposite of "fact."  Yes, programmers are regularly rushed as standard operating procedure.  In the professional world there are deadlines and crunch times.  There are release dates out there now (feel free to Google) which date into specific months of 2007 (far from "finishing touches").  Please don't state things as facts unless you're absolutely sure you're right.  I also don't suggest using words like 'never' so freely.  The world is rarely so simple.
I do believe the important "fact" Paladinlover was referring to is that a rushed programmer never achieves a product as perfect as he intended it to be.

Yes, of course there are deadlines in the real world, and the computer gaming industry is no exception...

Yet, almost every highly-anticipated game that totally disappointed me was rushed to please the fanbase. Are those two facts related ? In my opinion, yes.

When I think about this highly probable correlation, and about the fact that the AGD have a huge fanbase waiting BUT no commercial pressure, I say let them program it the way they want, and let them hammer bugs for another year if they feel it's worth it.

Disclaimer : English is not my native tongue and I haven't praticed it in a while, so if you see some grammatical inconsistency, please ask before throwing rocks at me  ;)

Wraith Daquell
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Wraith Daquell » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:48 am

Dju wrote:
gamecreator wrote:

I do believe the important "fact" Paladinlover was referring to is that a rushed programmer never achieves a product as perfect as he intended it to be.

Yes, of course there are deadlines in the real world, and the computer gaming industry is no exception...

Yet, almost every highly-anticipated game that totally disappointed me was rushed to please the fanbase. Are those two facts related ? In my opinion, yes.

When I think about this highly probable correlation, and about the fact that the AGD have a huge fanbase waiting BUT no commercial pressure, I say let them program it the way they want, and let them hammer bugs for another year if they feel it's worth it.

Disclaimer : English is not my native tongue and I haven't praticed it in a while, so if you see some grammatical inconsistency, please ask before throwing rocks at me  ;)
I concur.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#17 Post by Paladinlover » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:17 am

My response to this would pretty much mirror Dju's. Yes I know there are deadlines and crunch times in the real world and professional life, but that doesn't mean that rushing a programmer or designer is a good thing. There are countless programs and games out there that could have been fantastic, but because of the politics of the workplace, they never reach full potential because they had to be released on a so-and-so time.

I remember Ultima 9, and QFG 4. Both of them had a lot of problems that needed to be solved, but had to be rushed into production so they could get in time for the Christmas season. The problems with QFG 4 have been pretty much allivated with DosBox, but the problems with Ultima 9 will never be solved since the whole game is large mess that has practically no relation to a once wonderful series of games that captured the hearts and minds of people for more than 20 years.

I know that the professional world has many problems with rushing (and it happens a great many times) and this is why so many games out there are so bad or mediocre. This isn't because the designers are uncreative or lazy, but because they were never given enough time and resources to complete their intended tasks.

In the case of AGD interactive, they have no professional deadline to meet and as such can take all the sweet, sweet time they need. Not just for QFG 2 VGA (which is the LAST thing I want not to reach full potential), but to their commerical projects as well. I most sincierly pray for Himalaya studios to be blessed with a large fan base that understands the need for programmers to take their time in making their products, and the fact that, sometimes, delayed gratification can be better than instant gratification.

flowerbud
Peasant Status

quest for glory 2 remake

#18 Post by flowerbud » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:16 am

It is now June. I hope to be able to play the remake before 2007. I know they are working hard. i would love a new update on how the game is going.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#19 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:15 am

Update: The developers have uploaded several different alpha versions over the last month or so. Each time, it is tested and bugs get removed from the to-do list. There have always been more bugs added to the list as well, though it appears more are removed than what are added.

In other words, the game is progressing towards completion. Still a long list to get through, but progress is being made.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#20 Post by gamecreator » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:18 pm

Thanks for that update navynuke04.  And I know it varies and one bug could take the effort of five bugs to wipe out but just for fun... how many bugs are there on the list?  25?  50?  100?

And Paladinlover, you may not have considered that presidents of gaming companies know that buggy games hurt sales.  They have to take that into consideration when they set deadlines.  Yeah, sure: poor poor programmer.  But in the end he's a grunt like most anyone else, doing a job he signed up for.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#21 Post by Erpy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:34 pm

I have no idea how large the bug list is because only parts of it are posted at a time, but I believe we're past entry 500 at this point. Some take mere minutes to fix. Others can take many hours to track and fix.

haradan
Knight Status

#22 Post by haradan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:14 am

Erpy wrote:
I have no idea how large the bug list is because only parts of it are posted at a time, but I believe we're past entry 500 at this point.
500 BUGS??? :eek

Guys, did I ever tell you how much respect I have for you? Thank you, thank you, thank you. The work you are doing is just awesome. Take another 4 years if you want to, we'll wait patiently (...mmh, wait a minute, maybe 4 years is not such a good idea, let's make it 3, OK?).
:rollin

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#23 Post by Paladinlover » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:26 pm

500 bugs? That's quite a bit. Still, I firmly believe in your skills and perseverance and strength. You'll all make it through and will show, once again, what fantastic programmers and workers you are. :)

But just one question about El Emmo... any progress report on that particular game?  :D

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#24 Post by Alistair » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:10 pm

Paladinlover:
AGD's like Ken and the Coles, etc? That's a fairly long bow to draw, man. Last I remember, Ken Williams had a brash, outgoing personality (as opposed to the AGD's, not that we'd ever know of course), and the Coles and the Williams even between themselves have/had a LOT of differences. In fact, they're polar opposites in many ways.

- Alistair

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#25 Post by Erpy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:00 pm

Paladinlover: check out www.himalayastudios.com for the latest news on Al Emmo.

As for the buglist, yeah, it's a lot and I'm only talking about where we are now. There might be a few hundred more.

And yeah, the Coles and Williams' seem very different. Almost like polar opposites indeed. (not that I ever met the Williams' though)