Nicknames...

This is where historically important threads are kept.
Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

Nicknames...

#1 Post by Spikey » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:51 pm

Spikey wrote:People nicked me "Spikey" when I was still a teenager, with lots of waxed spikes on my head....and because of the fact that I live in a city which is nicked "Spike-city" sometimes. I started using the nick as soon as I got an internet connection. Funny. Maybe we should make a thread about where everybody's nick comes from.
Vildern wrote:Well, start that thread already. What are you waiting for? :p
SO...what's the history of YOUR internet nick?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:19 pm

I was in the Navy, and I was a nuclear operator. I graduated Nuclear Power School in class 0004. I shortened it all down to navynuke04.

The name was thought up in about 3 seconds...

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#3 Post by Vroomfondel » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:48 pm

This was my name on the old Space Quest message board The Subspace Channel. I've been using it for awhile now, along with some variants like Vroom. I got the name from H2G2 (the book). One of the philosophers names was Vroomfondel. I think the other one's name was Lunkwill.

Deloria
Peasant Status

Nicknames

#4 Post by Deloria » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:13 pm

Deloria's my name on almost all the forums of which I'm a member. :p
I can't really remember how I came up with the idea of using it for my screenname or where it came from, though :p

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#5 Post by Fribbi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:30 pm

Fribbi has always be my nickname. But I can't display my real name here since nobody can say it but me. I was called befere Friddsi, Frizzi, and Freddi. But I have be called Fribbi since I was 9 years old.

My name sound almost like Yibby or was it jibby but with fr in front of it.
It also sound like Free beer but it has with no "r" sound in the end.

The name means nothing to me, it is just a silly old stupid nickname wich is just stuck on me.
If my real name Friðjón Valtýr was in english it would be:
 Peacejohn Walltear.  :rolleyes  :p
Last edited by Fribbi on Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#6 Post by Da_elf » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:42 pm

im a big fantasy and dungeons and dragons freak and i always loved playing elves. plus the nickname is incorporated into my company name which is E.L.F. Productions (Enhanced Lighting & Film)

Broomie
The Enigma

#7 Post by Broomie » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:03 pm

Broom is my second name, I got called Broomie by a friend in year 7 at school. It's not just my online name but it seems it's my official alias to many, even my teachers call me Broomie.

Oh and Jamie is my first name... I think I'd like it changed to Broomie again here. Yeah, I'm a pain.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#8 Post by Vildern » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:11 pm

But a good pain none the less, Broomie!

I came up with Vildern when I needed to name my hero in The Shining Force...  :p

It went like this...:

"A name... hmmm... Sleris.... Balaron.... Velird.... Veelds.... Vildrend... Vildern... hmm, that might work!"

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#9 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:52 pm

Broomie wrote:I think I'd like it changed to Broomie again here. Yeah, I'm a pain.
There ya go.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#10 Post by Pidgeot » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:01 pm

<- was the source, inspired by it being my favorite POKéMON.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#11 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:07 pm

Well.... my original nick back in 97' was AOL (nothing to do with the ISP) then after watching Buffy alot my fave character was Angelus. Around that time of the net EVERYONE had their nicks followed by 2k or 2000 so I thought I'd be different and have 3K.

So there we have it.

Angelus3K

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#12 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:33 pm

my original name was BCrowesSteffi.  pretty self explanatory - steffi is my nickname (real first name is Stephanie), and i'm a huge Black Crowes fan.

SteffiEvenstar - again, first part is self explanatory.  second part is because i'm a Lord of the Rings nerd.

a new name i've started using at some boards is ElliottAshah ... Elliott for my favourite contestant on American Idol this past season (whom i actually met!!!!!!!!!), and Ashah is Hebrew - meaning either "woman" or "wife."  while i was going for the woman meaning, i wouldn't object to the latter.  :P  (shhh!  don't tell my boyfriend!)  :P  (and Elliott actually is Jewish, so me using Hebrew makes a bit of sense)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:13 pm

when I came here I couldn't think of a damn thing and If I were to redo it now I still wouldn't have a name. I was going to use Unreal_Psycho like I do in FPS games but everyone always asked me about Unreal Tournament which I didn't even like. Then I thought maybe I would use Calik (Kalic was taken) like I used in WoW but that idea occured to me awhile ago and only myself and a couple others got the direct reference. (Something/one is surronding and "ali"  :eek ) anyways to make a long story short I had just started replaying QFG1 and I found this site with a quick glance at google and the day I can think of a good screenname I'll let you know.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Name history

#14 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:58 am

Basically, my father gave me the logon BRAINIAC00 when we first got AOL oh-so-long-ago.  I've tried to stick with various versions of the Brainiac nick ever since.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#15 Post by FatherGhostface » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:31 am

My name was an accident, you see I was reading SCREAM transcript on the internet and they labled the mask the killer wore as "FatherDeath"...only thing wrong was that I read it wrong as "FatherGhostface" and made my username only to find out 5 minutes later I got the name wrong, but I liked the way FatherGhostface sounded so I stuck with it till this day. And becuase it was my name, it took too long for people to type I guess so they just narrowed it down to "FG" so "FG" would be my nick name...FEET!  :p

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#16 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:11 am

My first real nickname I used a whole lot was "Nifty" there may have been others before that but this was the first one I really liked. I then went through others and got to "Crusader" (from the Crusader: No Remorse/No Regret games). Then I watched The Matrix and changed to Neo (like a lot of people probably lol).

After I started really getting into composing music I tried thinking of a name that would best suit me without sounding stuck-up. I went through a lot of ideas like "Master of Music" "Music Master" "Man of Music" etc etc until MusicallyInspired came out. I still think it sounds somewhat stuck-up but ah well everyone knows me as that now so I'll just stick with it :). Sounds a lot better than the other potential names I had and it has a nice ring to it. Plus I'm a lot better now at creating music than I was way back when I thought up the name so I can safely say I actually AM musically inspired without sounding like a snob lol.

I've also used "shine64" here and there. The "shine" comes from my favourite song of my favourite band at the time and "64" came about because I originally used it as a user name for yahoo mail but "shine" was already taken so I added the "64" inspired by the Nintendo 64.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:44 am

One my first expedition to Peru, when I was nine, I was met by a strange man on a steamer ship, as we prepared to sail down the Amazon river on our way to Iquitos - his name was Jefe.  Now, Jefe taught me a great many things as we sailed down the river - like how to fish, and how to watch for snakes.  He even showed me how to clear blockage with properly placed sticks of dynamite.  My parents too an interest in Jefe, and invited him back to America to study at the Cambridge School of Ecology - he refused, saying that his people needed him, and he promptly jumped into the Amazon, and swam to the bank - where he was met by an indigenous tribe.  They all danced around him, in what I took to be a celebratory dance, but they threw him back into the water - where he was eaten by Pirhana fish.  Apparently, he was both a) a sacrafice and b) completely insane.  The captain said he always knew he'd be killed by natives.

Now, the natives took an interest in the steamer, and in particular my nubile young sister.  Being 16 years old at the time, her gleaming white skin fascinated these savages, and they began to throw their spears at the ship - in hopes of capturing the vessel.  My father in turn pulled out his Thompson Sub Machine Gun with the barrel clip, and expertly killed 30 natives.  We pulled the steamer ashore, and lit their entire village on fire, using a can of gasoline and a few sticks of Jefe's dynamite.  After we rounded up the women and children (after killing all the men) we put them on the ship, where we sold them into slavery in Iquitos.

All except for this one girl, Lenora we called her.  She gave her name as something else, but my parents said she should have a Christian name.  Lenora was chosen, and she was clothed and taken to our flat in Iquitos.  Eventually, I booked passage aboard a large ship that would take us to New York City, and home.  During the voyage, I taught Lenora the customs and language of our land.  She taught me the resourcefulness of her people, and that they weren't savages at all.

We quickly fell in love, and decided that we needed to exact revenge on the entire ship for killing her village.  As we neared the Bermuda Triangle, she and killed everyone on board by garotting them with piano wire we stole from the lounge.

However, as I could not properly navigate a large freighter, we drifted out to sea.  Our supplies, however, were vast as the ship was outfitted for 120 passengers, and now only she and I stood alone to use them.   Our ship drifted for months, until we landed in a port in the country of Morroco - I pretended to be an Arab, and managed to trade some rope for two camels and three days worth of water.  We made our way into the desert, and began to dig at a site I had read about in the vast Iquitos library.  Soon, many more people showed up to excavate the site - through my supreme social and navigational skills, I managed to make them partners.  Soon, we unearthed the lost city of Johari-El-Barshad.  It was swallowed by the Sahara in the 2nd century BC.  However, I soon grew bored of the glory - and Lenora by this time.  All she did was complain about the sand.  So I left her there, and I went to Cairo - city of the living.

I left there soon afterwords, cause hey - It's freaking Cairo, and I took a boat up the Medditeranean Sea to Greece.  After eating my fill of baklava and gyros, I finally got a flight home to America.

Oh, and on that plane, I was given the novel Shogun by James Clavell.  The main character's name was John Blackthorne.  So I stole it, knowing that someday - when the internet was invented and I didn't have to go 1200 baud to a local BBS - I could still use the awesome name.

Bt

haradan
Knight Status

#18 Post by haradan » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:28 pm

Oh God, my story feels so simple and plain, after BT's awesome story!  :lol

Steffi Evenstar wrote:
SteffiEvenstar - again, first part is self explanatory.  second part is because i'm a Lord of the Rings nerd.
Well, haradan comes from the same place, I've been a Tolkien fan for years. The word itself doesn't appear in any book, it's a combination of two words. It's in Sindar (AKA elvish), and it means "Man from the south" (Harad=south, adan=man). That's because I live in Mexico but I was actually born in Uruguay, way down south!

I remember I used haradan as my nickname in the Sierra forums, back in 97 I think. After that, I didn't care much for the internet until a couple of years ago and still seemed to be a good nickname, and one that nobody uses.

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by Alistair » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:29 pm

Since this was created about our nick.. :)

My nick 'Spikey' was created for the Space Quest-themed forum "The SubSpace Channel", which I joined around 2002 (possibly 2001, I forget), because of the character from SQ5. Keeping in mind, most characters from the games were taken (there were about 50 plus active memebrs when I joined), so I picked an obscure one that wasn't taken.

Since then, I've been Spikey in IRC chats, Sierra forums, and various communities.

Though, I also used to spike my hair too..

Hey fellow Spikey, you ever get asked any naughty questions about your nick? :) I've had my share.

And, the nick Alistair? It's my name. :) I didn't think 'Spike' would be worth doing with someone so close a nick, it'd prolly be a pain in the ass.

Regards,
- Alistair

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#20 Post by Fribbi » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:09 pm

:eek omg you are all back here! Now it is going to be more fun here once more. :p  :rollin

Alliance
Knight Status

#21 Post by Alliance » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:07 pm

Well, my story is plain and simple.
Originally I was called "Webspider" (I original used it on sites like Hackthissite) and I was a total doofus at the time. I was extremely abnoxious on the AGS forums. I was so abnoxious all the moderators were cussing me out (I was 12 at the time.)
So, I decided to see what else was out there, and the AGDI forums were looking very attractive. So I tried to register with Webspider. Something went horribly wrong, and I lost the activation email. So I decided to make a new one.
I thought "Hm...what shall I call myself?"
I couldn't think of anything, so I went for a walk. I walked over to my friend's house, and he was watching "Star Wars" and I thoughtit would be cool to be RebelAlliance.
Then I realized that the moderators would probably ban someone with the name Rebel in it, so I just put "Alliance" and I've been that ever since.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#22 Post by Spikey » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:33 pm

Alistair wrote:
Hey fellow Spikey, you ever get asked any naughty questions about your nick? :) I've had my share.
No, usually people think it's a reference to Buffy, which is annoying. I'm now using the nick "Man-size" on a lot of other platforms, which, curiously, does evoke weird questions, but it's actually a reference to a song with the same title by P.J. Harvey.
Last edited by Spikey on Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#23 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:17 am

Alliance wrote:Well, my story is plain and simple.
Originally I was called "Webspider" (I original used it on sites like Hackthissite) and I was a total doofus at the time. I was extremely abnoxious on the AGS forums. I was so abnoxious all the moderators were cussing me out (I was 12 at the time.)
So, I decided to see what else was out there, and the AGDI forums were looking very attractive. So I tried to register with Webspider. Something went horribly wrong, and I lost the activation email. So I decided to make a new one.
I thought "Hm...what shall I call myself?"
I couldn't think of anything, so I went for a walk. I walked over to my friend's house, and he was watching "Star Wars" and I thoughtit would be cool to be RebelAlliance.
Then I realized that the moderators would probably ban someone with the name Rebel in it, so I just put "Alliance" and I've been that ever since.
I can't see anyone banning you just for having Rebel in your username, unless your behaviour was such.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#24 Post by jpnuar1 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:10 pm

My screenname is based more or less directly from my name... It started out as jpnuar, on juno email, but somehow or other, I lost my email account under that screenname. I recreated it with a 1 at the end, and at some point not too long afterwards, I decided to keep it, as it was "random" enough that it was practically garaunteed not to be taken by anyone else... only any website.

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#25 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:52 pm

Anyone who can guess where MY nick came from? If you get it right, I'll send you some pizza crusts, because I'm a nice person like that.