What is your favourite Space Quest game?

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Space Quest 0: Replicated
No votes
Space Quest 1: The Sarien Encounter
4%
Space Quest 2: Vohaul's Revenge
10%
Space Quest 2. 5: The Lost Chapter
No votes
Space Quest 3: The Pirates of Pestulon
31%
Space Quest 4: The Time Rippers
35%
Space Quest 5: The Next Mutation
21%
Space Quest 5. 5: The Bjorn Attack
No votes

Total votes: 52

Adventure_Knight
Royal Servant Status

#1 Post by Adventure_Knight » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:45 am

What is your favourite Space Quest game? I'll have to say Space Quest I, maybe because it was my first adventure game (The VGA version), what about your favourite?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Missing SQ6

#2 Post by Brainiac » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:28 am

One question - if you're going to include the SQ6 Bjorn demo (listed as SQ 5.5), why aren't you actually including SQ6 itself?

Adventure_Knight
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Adventure_Knight » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:56 am

I put SQ6 on the poll options, but for some reason it was deleted when I submited the poll...
(SQ 5. 5 is the name that the demo has in Rogerquest.net)

Hazekel
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Hazekel » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:26 pm

I thought about going for SQV, but SQII remains one of my all time favorites despite the type in interface.  I would LOVE to see SQII remade like the early KQ's were.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#5 Post by Kurdt » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:37 am

Gotta go with SQ4. The first adventure game I ever played is still the best SQ I've ever played. SQ6 is an extremely near close second, though. The rest are just awesome. There isn't a one that doesn't rock my socks off.

I wouldn't put fangames on this poll, though. I mean, while they are Space Quest games, they're not "really" Space Quest games.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#6 Post by Klytos » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:16 am

Had to go for SQ4. This is one of the first games I ever finished. The atmosphere was dark and gritty, yet contrasted nicely with the bright flashiness of the shopping centre. The puzzles weren't TOO illogical, with an understanding of the SQ humour you'd be able to figure it out.

The random deaths of the SQ series are a personal favorite of mine, more-so in SQ4 than the others. Exploding when going into the sewers, getting killed by the "Hal" looking robot on the surface of Xenon. Brilliant.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:44 pm

Space Quest 4. The masterpiece. It's got everything; Gary Owens, time travel, comedy, Vohaul, and of course Roger! It's great. My only complaint is that you don't really play in SQ4. I think it would have been cool to see the introduction as flying to magmetheus, doing the whole Sequel Police cutscene thing, and then landing on Magmetheus and playing for a little bit there. Maybe one or two puzzles. Or no puzzles at all. Walk in, sit down, talk, and then the sequel police show up. That would have been nice. But maybe that was the whole joke to not play in SQ4 at all....kinda reminds you of LSL4 :). Maybe it was kind of a joke towards that.

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#8 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:31 am

What about SQ6? I liked it, and it had some good puzzles.

SQ4 was okay, altough I haven't played it for years.
SQ4 was a member of the KQ5 genre.

Matter of fact, Sq3 is my favorite.

SQ was about puns on all of science fiction, and SQ3 wins in my book.

A true Sq, Can't beat the graphics and puzzles in SQ6.

Mitch
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Mitch » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:15 pm

Space Quest 3  :D

It rules.

kosch
Royal Servant Status

Re: What is your favourite Space Quest game?

#10 Post by kosch » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:57 am

Space Quest 2 was the first sierra game that made me appreciate having to type in everything :P

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#11 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:29 am

SQ5 was probably my fave as it was like playing an episode of Star Trek lol

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by JonWW » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:28 am

Space Quest III is my favorite Space Quest. Could be because it was the first adventure game I played. :D

MusicallyInspired

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:53 pm

Angelus3K wrote:SQ5 was probably my fave as it was like playing an episode of Star Trek lol
That's exactly why it's not my favourite. Not that I hate Star Trek, far from it. I just think Space Quest can stand on its own.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#14 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:50 pm

Yes that is a very good point actually MI.

It doesnt really feel like a SQ when you think about it. I'd probably have to go with SQ6 then.

Dasilva
Peasant Status

#15 Post by Dasilva » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:17 pm

My favourite is Space Quest 4: Time Rippers & Space Quest 5: the Next Mutation. They were both very grand games and had such great humour, both in their own different way. I'll never forget going drag in SQ4 and going to the mall. lol ;)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#16 Post by Gronagor » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:32 pm

Oh no!!!
I forgot about the mall! Can I please change my vote to SQ1!

FrostFlameFlare
Peasant Status

#17 Post by FrostFlameFlare » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:32 pm

Space Quest 3 was the first text adventure I ever played. Also it was my favorite era of text adventures. I love the schiduv games. (KQ4, QfG1&2, CB, etc. etc.) It was pretty decent graphics but it wasn't dumbed down too much by point-and-click.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#18 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:03 pm

I recently replayed SQ1 VGA on my collection and I really like the simplicity of it combined with the excellent and witty story telling. I can't remember what I initially voted here but I hope I'm that sole vote for number 1. I really liked 2 and 3 as well but for me I was a late learner of English and I got into these games post-parcer. Still it's quite a feat to say the only EGA games I've ever completed were SQ2 and 3 with minimal walkthrough use (really the only time I needed on was when I wasn't sure how it wanted me to phrase something) Number 4 was the first one I played but because it was one of the first adventure games I got my hands on (right after the CD version of KQV) I didn't really realize how above the standard of gaming it was until much later. I didn't like 5 that much because as much as I could enjoy Space Quest on it's own I couldn't for V because as MI and Angelus discussed it's too "star treky" and I've only ever sat through one full wepisode of that. As far as number Six goes I like it to a point. The whole first planet is really well done and thought out until of course you get to the parts in the game that weren't finished properly or aren't hinted at enough. Ireally felt that game had only reached maybe 70% of it's potential and it was saddening because it did have the chance at being the greatest of the series.

MusicallyInspired

#19 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:50 am

FrostFlameFlare wrote:Space Quest 3 was the first text adventure I ever played. Also it was my favorite era of text adventures. I love the schiduv games. (KQ4, QfG1&2, CB, etc. etc.) It was pretty decent graphics but it wasn't dumbed down too much by point-and-click.
Actually that's incorrect. Games that had SCIDHUV.EXE in the game folder were 256-colour point&click-only games. Like KQ5, SQ4, LB2, QFG3 and up. Games with SCIDUV.EXE in the game folder were 16-colour versions of point&click-only games (KQ5EGA, SQ4EGA, LSL5EGA, etc). Games with SCIV.EXE in the folder were the SCI0 text parser+mouse games (SQ3, KQ4, QFG1&2, etc).

FrostFlameFlare
Peasant Status

#20 Post by FrostFlameFlare » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:12 pm

Oops, sorry. My termonology isn't quite up to speed. Whatever the engine it was that made the text-bar pause the game while typing, that's what I meant.

Schrijvertje
Peasant Status

#21 Post by Schrijvertje » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:41 am

I've only ever played SQ1 (the concept just didn't appeal to me). Might try it again, since I'm currently in a retro gaming mood.