KQ3 (and KQ1,2 and TSL) was on TV!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Broomie
The Enigma

KQ3 (and KQ1,2 and TSL) was on TV!

#1 Post by Broomie » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:52 am

And no lie, it was! Yet it wasn't a review or anything, it wasn't even advertisement! It seems to me they've mislead themselves to believe that our version is actually the original 1986 version by Sierra, with the same interpretation as the other KQ remakes. I mean, I've seen some dumb stuff but these guys are meant to be the gaming pro's who know everything. At least what I've been lead to know anyway.

It's from the program, Electric Playground which I believe is a G4 program or something. This episode was aired, 17th of July 2006 and is called Euthoria. Check it out on Google Video here.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:54 am

"A little bit before my time"

So what? Sigh...that bugs me.

Bigfan
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Bigfan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:18 am

It never fails to depress me how little people know of the Golden Age of Adventure Gaming.

I'ma go cry in a corner now.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#4 Post by Klytos » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:27 am

I'm interested in what the AGD's have to say about it. We at IA certainly knew nothing about it, and personally I think they misrepresented the classic games by using our remakes. That of course is not to say I don't think it's damn cool to be on TV.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#5 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:24 am

Wow! Those backgrounds sure looked good for being only 16 colors!  :rolleyes

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#6 Post by Kurdt » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:28 pm

I think they forgot a million at the end of that 16.

*sigh*

A little before your time, huh? So you only started playing games one week ago?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#7 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:01 am

:rollin those guys are retarted! I like the emphasis he put on OFFICIAL game, KQIX... morons. I've been watching that show more and mroe lately and they have things that far off all the time.

Vertius
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Vertius » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:03 pm

Apparently, they filmed all that before they actually did enough research into it, such as looking at the stuff that POS sent them regarding TSL.

It's pretty dumb, alright.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#9 Post by Vroomfondel » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:22 pm

Wait, so they said that TSL was an official game?

Milan Easton
Ruler of the Castle

#10 Post by Milan Easton » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:06 pm

Oh my gosh, I worked on the original King's Quest! I worked on the original King's Quest!! We founded graphical adventure gaming, and our team was lead by Roberta Williams!  And man, we DID do a fantastic job on those graphics, considering we were limited to 16 colors.  AGDI was then bought out by the multibillion dollar corporation, IA, and Roberta must have moved to the IA facility as well.  Unforutnately though, these "official" games were then considered to be merely underground fan creations...but do not fret.  A new multibazillion dollar company was created which brought King's Quest officially back on the market...

Wait, I'm confused...do you think this little bit of journalism was accurate?  I think I've been missing something all these years...I was always under the impression that Roberta worked for Sierra, she was the creator of the original games, and all the underground fan teams were working to support the original work by Sierra?  To think I might have been wrong all this time!!

Yea, I understand that they sometimes have to say something impromtu at the end of a segment, but, "those games were a little before my time" probably isn't the wisest thing to say when you're hosting a gaming channel and are over the age of 20.

I do think it's neat that they covered a segment on adventure gaming, but I really do wish that they'd done a little better research.  Don't want the wrong message to be sent out to masses of people.  It makes me a little weary of believing anything I hear in the news now!!  If we didn't know the genre like the back of our hands, we might have actually believed what we were told!

Anonymous Game Developer #1

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:31 pm

I've worked in TV news before.  Trust me, the writers and producers are drooling monoloid idiots who are better suited to saying "yes" to the Higher-Ups than providing accurate information.

I can say, honestly, that one should never really put their faith and stock in televised news.  Print is still a much better medium.

That said, despite a lack of accuracy (Come on... it's G4, it's run by a bunch of kids who are more worried about their hair pomade than actual gaming) it was really cool to see our work on television, along with a wink at our little niche of gaming.  I'd love for the "rest of the world" to get in on my whole love for the genre, but I admit that adventure games aren't for everyone - and maybe it's better that way.

Bt

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#12 Post by Pidgeot » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:03 pm

I'd say it's worse that they mention the parser interface, even though it's obviously point-and-click - which leads me to believe they did it on purpose.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#13 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:48 pm

Too bad they didn't give the URLs for each of the fan-made remakes. The 'publicity' is basically useless unless people watching the clip are given a link to follow.

Still, it's cool that they were shown on TV. It surprises me to this day that there are still people discovering KQ1VGA for the first time ever!

Bigfan
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Bigfan » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:55 pm

As an aside, punch in "king's quest download" into Google, and what are the first two entries?

AGD Interactive
The King's Quest I VGA remake and all of our future projects are just our little ... an updated version of the game was made available for download. ...
www.agdinteractive.com/KQ1.php - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

AGD Interactive
   Download the Speech Pack now (30.0 MB) ... The King's Quest II+ VGA remake is similar to AGDI's King's Quest I VGA remake, which upgraded the graphics and ...
   www.agdinteractive.com/KQ2.php - 15k - Cached - Similar pages
   [ More results from www.agdinteractive.com ]

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#15 Post by Kurdt » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:30 am

w00t! IA is on that first page as well, along with all those other places that aren't allowed to have KQ1VGA for download! :lol
AGD1 wrote:AGDI was then bought out by the multibillion dollar corporation, IA, and Roberta must have moved to the IA facility as well.
Well, it is true and we are a multizillion dollar corporation with designs on buying and selling AGDI as well as Roberta Williams. If we have time, we're also going to buy and sell the rest of the Sierra icons, Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs, but those last two really depend on how Klytos feels when he wakes up tomorrow. He had a bit of a rough night, y'know.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#16 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:57 pm

Kurdt wrote:w00t! IA is on that first page as well, along with all those other places that aren't allowed to have KQ1VGA for download! :lol
AGD1 wrote:AGDI was then bought out by the multibillion dollar corporation, IA, and Roberta must have moved to the IA facility as well.
Well, it is true and we are a multizillion dollar corporation with designs on buying and selling AGDI as well as Roberta Williams. If we have time, we're also going to buy and sell the rest of the Sierra icons, Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs, but those last two really depend on how Klytos feels when he wakes up tomorrow. He had a bit of a rough night, y'know.
Yeah?  Why did I buy lunch with FOOD STAMPS THEN?  HUH???

Bt

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#17 Post by Kurdt » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:50 pm

Dude, don't ask me about the eccentricities of the insanely rich. Bill Gates has an entire room that's a trampoline. I don't ask HIM why he does it.

Sykodefunkus
Peasant Status

#18 Post by Sykodefunkus » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:12 pm

ROFL, Yeah I thought that was hilarious especially where they stated the part about being older adventure games that you typed commands and they were clearly using the point and click interface on the screen that was showing the games... um HELLO!!!  Anyway as for the TSL being official... someone should read the info at their site... as far as I understand they went through intense legal issues and came out victorious making it an official sequel to the King's Quest series, of course I could just understand wrong I guess.  

And speaking of TSL, they have a Downloadable demo on their site now that let's you play like 10 minutes of the actual game starting at the beginning giving you a taste of what the graphics, interface, voice acting and story is going to be like, I've played it and it's pretty sweet.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#19 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:15 am

It's not an official sequel since they had to change the name FROM KQ9 TO The Silver Lining. But it is semi-official I suppose, like AGDI's games. I guess that's official, ain't it?

Regarding TSL's demo, yeah I played it. Was pretty confusing for a while until I finally figured out what I had to do to get by it (it didn't really explain enough, IMO). It's also LOADED with bugs. Graphical and audible AND in gameplay. But it's a public alpha demo so it's understandable. What I DON'T understand is why they released an alpha version, but whatever floats their boat, I guess. There are millions of drooling hungry fans I suppose. I just hope they iron out all those bugs. Other than that I'm still holding hope for the game, from what I've seen so far. Still haven't really seen anything about the story yet, though.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#20 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:43 am

It's semi-official, like our own games. It's made with permission from VU. The KQ companion was also written (I believe) with official permission from Sierra, but that doesn't mean that everything Peter Spear wrote is official canon. So KQ2VGA and TSL aren't official canon either. If TSL was an official sequel, it would be allowed to use the King's Quest title.

Sykodefunkus
Peasant Status

#21 Post by Sykodefunkus » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:47 pm

Yeah that was the first thing I noticed about the TSL demo was the glitchyness of not only the screen loading but just the basic things like Graham walking... or rather floating along I should say.

These and other things have all been reported to the TSL team and they are very well aware and in the process of eliminating all of the bugs in the game and smoothing things out for bfore the release of the first game in the trilogy that will be The Silver Lining.

And yeah I guess it really couldn't be a completely official sequel without the actual King's Quest title could it.  :\

Skyshark
Knight Status

#22 Post by Skyshark » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:09 am

Ah, the joys of lazy journalism. On the other hand, it got some free publicity for the KQ remakes and TSL.