The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1276 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:10 pm

MGS wasnt due til LATE LATE 2007 so that wont get delayed at all.

And guys, I planned on getting a Wii anyways!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1277 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:13 pm

I geuss your right, I wont need a PS3 till then anyways, or untill GTAIV comes out.

Skyshark
Knight Status

#1278 Post by Skyshark » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:13 pm

It's been delayed until March in Australia as well. Guess this means I'll go and get the laser in my PS2 repaired instead of waiting until the PS3 comes out. :)

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#1279 Post by jpnuar1 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:08 am

Wii price and release date revealed!
(for the Americas only though. sorry folks)

Edit: The Japanese price and release date has now also been revealed.

America is actually getting it first, on November 19th, whereas Japan won't have it until December 2nd. European gamers still just can't get a break, but you'll probably get your news soon as well. But in the meantime... Nyeh!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1280 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:05 am

I know I cant see EU getting Wii before Japan!

But hopefully the rumoured Nov 24th launch for EU is true!

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1281 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:14 am

Actually, the American date won't be officially revealed until about 3 hours from now, so IGN's info COULD still turn uot to be wrong (and let's be honest, it wouldn't be the first time).
European details will be released about 24 hours from now.

As for Japan not getting it until December, it's important to realize that they don't celebrate Christmas like we do, so there's no rush in getting it out quite as soon as in Europe and America. Thus, we might very well see Wii before Japan.

EDIT: Okay, looks like IGN was right after all. However, since Wii Sports is INCLUDED in the US package (unlike Japan, where it's sold seperately), that does explain the higher price a bit better.´

RE-EDIT: Wii is confirmed by Perrin Kaplan (Vice President of NOA) to be region-free - or rather, potentially region-free. Though all of Nintendos games will be region-free, third party developers can optionally enable region locking if they want to.
It's not known if Gamecube games will be "auto-unlocked", but maybe there's a chance the FreeLoader will still work.

On a related note, Nintendo has completely removed the option to play DVD movies on Wii (in other words, the upgrade they previously talkked about won't be made after all). This was done since pretty much everyone already has a DVD player.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#1282 Post by jpnuar1 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:17 pm

Well, this is still in the rumor department for now, but it looks like it really sux to be a European gamer this year...

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732764p1.html

But there's good news. I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geiko! (not really)

Broomie
The Enigma

#1283 Post by Broomie » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:32 pm

Oh for f**k sake! Oh well, I hope there isn't much stopping me from just ordering one from America... is there?
Pidgeot wrote:On a related note, Nintendo has completely removed the option to play DVD movies on Wii (in other words, the upgrade they previously talkked about won't be made after all). This was done since pretty much everyone already has a DVD player.
Who really cares about that? I don't buy a DVD player to play games, nor do I buy a console to play DVD's, it is what it is.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1284 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:55 pm

The rumor about a March release CANNOT be true. If it were, Nintendo would have given us warning before the conference tomorrow (or not held it at all), since it would be SUICIDE if they went on stage and announced that it won't be out until March, despite the fact that they have always said the whole world will get it this year.

Nothing would be stopping you from importing from USA, however, so long as you have a TV that supports NTSC.

As for the DVD, I agree with you, Broomie - I don't see any reason for it either. Some people like having it as a possibility, though.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#1285 Post by jpnuar1 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:09 pm

they have always said the whole world will get it this year.
Nintendo said it was aiming for a global release, yes.

Unfortunately, it has also gone on record stating that the Wii would cost less than $249, and has now revealed that it will cost $250. It has said that Wii and Gamecube versions of Twilight Princess would be released simultaneously at Wii launch, and yet now the Gamecube version won't be coming out until mid-December. (To say nothing of Link becoming Right-handed. As a leftie, I'm enraged at this!) Nintendo has said that you could buy a dongle to add DVD playback as an option to your Wii, and now that's been taken back as well (not as much of an issue, as has already been discussed. But honestly, right now the only DVD player I have is in my computer.., and I'd prefer to watch them on TV)

Mind you, I'll still camp outside the store launch-night, but unfortunately, the Wii launch isn't looking to be quite as spectacular as some were hoping...

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1286 Post by Pidgeot » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:07 am

Though they DID indeed say that it would not be more than $249, it's important to also realize you're not just getting the console here, but a game as well. 1st party Wii games will cost $49.99 according to the US conference yesterday, so in the end, it ends up being only a single cent above their standard price for new consoles, $200 (and since it'll probably end up at $249.99, that'd be $200 on the dot).

Additionally, in Japan (where Wii Sports is NOT included), the launch price is the same for Wii as it was for the GameCube, namely ¥25,000.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#1287 Post by jpnuar1 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:23 pm

Hoorah! March release in Europe only a rumor after all! You'll all be able to get it starting on the 8th of December, for about the same price as in the Americas...

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732712p1.html

Also details on European launch titles, virtual console, and of course, full coverage of the Eropean press conference..

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732714p1.html
http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732732p1.html

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1288 Post by Pidgeot » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:29 pm

Time for some bad news - David Yarnton, General Manager at NoE, has told IGN today that the Wii WILL be region-locked - which explains the lower number of Virtual Console titles here.

This directly contradicts the news reported yesterday, where Perrin Kaplan, Vice President of Marketing and Corporate Affairs at NoA, was reported to have told Wired that it WOULD be region free. However, since Satoru Iwata, president of NoJ was present for the European conference, that (sadly) talks greatly in favor of Yarnton's statement - after all, if Iwata doesn't know, who would?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1289 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:48 pm

Forgot to mention!!

A month or so ago, Deb and I went out to dinner at chinese resturant in Newcastle called The Waterside Palace with some friends anyway they had this really good female pianist and during the course of the meal she actually played Eyes on Me by Faye Wong from FF8!! I couldnt believe it!! I wanted to go ask her if she's played FF before lol was really good too!

Broomie
The Enigma

#1290 Post by Broomie » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:14 pm

Wii will be out 8th December in Europe at £179-€249. Sweet.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1291 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:41 pm

Broomie wrote:Wii will be out 8th December in Europe at £179-€249. Sweet.
jpnuar1 mentioned that 2 days ago Brooms. Although its a bit more expensive than alot of people thought. 360 CORE is only £20 more. And Wii has considerably less tech. Saying that though, I'm getting a Wii and not a 360 lol
jpnuar1 wrote:Hoorah! March release in Europe only a rumor after all! You'll all be able to get it starting on the 8th of December, for about the same price as in the Americas...

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732712p1.html

Also details on European launch titles, virtual console, and of course, full coverage of the Eropean press conference..

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732732p1.html

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#1292 Post by jpnuar1 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:01 pm

Angelus3K wrote:jpnuar1 mentioned that 2 days ago Brooms.
OMGWTFBBQ! PWNED!!!!!11!1!!SHIFTONE!!11!!!111111

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.... But who says points can't be brought up more than once in a thread? Price and release date are pretty much the gaming topic of the weekend, after all... Or at least, they're the biggest topic.

Oh, and how about Wii vs. PS3, Angelus, or do you intend to buy both?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1293 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:08 pm

I've always said i'll get both. But If I had to buy only one, it would be PS3 without a doubt ;)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1294 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:32 pm

I bought the Space Quest compilation today. They didn't have the Police quest there which is what I wanted most. They also said my EB would probably never have that one and the guy said it with a heavy heart. He did ask me if I saw the Kings Quest series though, I said I already owned them, I mentioned these fan reamkes and he said he had visited IA and AGDI along with some others. that was pretty cool to me atleast. well I'm off to retry SQ more on that later. I simply loved SQ 6

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#1295 Post by jpnuar1 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:39 am

I don't know whether stores have begun taking preorders for Wii & PS3 yet in Europe, but if not, it'd be advisable to keep a close eye on that info.

For those of you who haven't already noticed, it seems that preorders have become the new launch dates, thanks largely to XBox 360 shortages last year. I got to a Gamestop this Friday to reserve a Wii, at about 10:15AM, only fifteen minutes after they had opened. It turned out that not only had they already sold out of the fifteen preorders that they would take, but there had been a line over double preorder capacity, at least two hours before they had opened.

Just a word of warning to those of you (in Europe) who hope to get a sytem early on.

As for me, rather than spending the night outside a GameStop, like I had hoped I would, it looks like I'll have to spend about a week in freezing weather outside a BestBuy. On the bright side, though, if I'm lucky enough to be one of the first campers there for next gen systems, I can always try to buy a PS3 to hock on Ebay...

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1296 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:16 am

Europe were taking Wii preorders ages ago!

I pre-ordered a Wii with deposit about 3-4 weeks ago here in the UK, as did Pidgeot who is in Denmark I believe.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1297 Post by Pidgeot » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:05 pm

A major newspaper in Japan reported that Nintendo is planning an expansion in Russia. Apparently, they've never really been well known there, but their hoping that will improve soon, with both the DS AND Wii arriving there in November.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1298 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:18 am

So Russia get Wii before UK!!!!

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#1299 Post by jpnuar1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:55 pm

I finally got me a Wii preorder! I went to Toys R Us on Saturday afternoon, where there were already 8 people in line for PS3 preorders. No one else came to wait for the Wii until the next morning, but by the time I woke up (and looked outside of the tent I was in), it must have been over 30 people long... And that's just the people who stayed in line, even though they couldn't get one! (The Toy's R Us was only taking 20 Wii preorders). People were still showing up every few minutes, but leaving when they heard that the line was already full.
So hurray! I am at last gauranteed to have a sytem launch day! Huzzah!

Broomie
The Enigma

#1300 Post by Broomie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:31 am

Right, I couldn't find any information about the Black Wii at my work but will they be selling the black Wii aswell as the white one upon its launch? The reason being is that I would prefer it much more than the white one as it would suit my room better. Any ideas?