Favorite Tolkien Story/Stories

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

What is your favorite Tolkien story or series

The Hobbit
13%
The Lord of the Rings
65%
The Silmarillion
13%
The Lost Tales Series
No votes
The Tolkien Reader
No votes
Sir Gawain & The Green Knight
No votes
Smith of Wootton Major & Farmer Giles of Ham
No votes
I don't like his books
9%

Total votes: 23

gizzywiz
Peasant Status

Favorite Tolkien Story/Stories

#1 Post by gizzywiz » Sat May 06, 2006 9:35 pm

I ask to find out how popular Tolkien's works are to the people here.  I am currently reading the Lays of Beleriand (in the Lost Tales series).  Would anyone want to see more than the Lord of the Rings get made into a movie?

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#2 Post by Ghost_Rider » Sun May 07, 2006 1:30 am

I voted for Lord of the Rings.  I have read the Hobbit and the three books in the Lord of the Rings series.  I did not know he had so many other books.... maybe once I have gotten through all the other ones piling up that I would like to read, I'll take a look at what some of his other books are about.   ;)

gizzywiz
Peasant Status

#3 Post by gizzywiz » Sun May 07, 2006 3:30 am

The Silmarillion is the story prior to the Lord of the Rings.  It starts with the creation of that world, the battle between the Valar and Melkor the evil one, the awakening of the elves, the creation of dwarves, the first kingdoms of men, and most importantly the stories of the elves that desired to go to Middle-earth.  Some of the characters in the Lord of the Rings are also in this book (Sauron, Galadriel, Celeborn, Celebrimbor, Elrond, Gil-Galad, and Cirdan have parts in the Silmarillion and the Lord of the Rings).

The Lost Tales series tells much of the same story of the Silmarillion, but in it's origanal form and with commentary from Tolkien's son.

Most of the other stories are just short stories Tolkien wrote and do not involve Middle-earth

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#4 Post by Gronagor » Mon May 08, 2006 6:43 am

I knew about his other books, but never read it (as would be the case with most Lord of the Ring fans). So I think your poll will have an obvious answer. :)

elfwizard
Peasant Status

#5 Post by elfwizard » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:44 pm

Hi!!! ;)

I really like Tolkien's philosophy! Even his smallest fairy tales (that wrote for his little children) has something to teach us. My favorite is LOTR trilogy (and Hobbit), but I also like Sillmarillion and his unfinished stories (who published his son, after his death) very much!!!

Best Regards!!!
:smokin

gamecreator
Knight Status

#6 Post by gamecreator » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:18 am

Ignore my vote for The Lord of the Rings.  Two seconds after I voted, I thought about it: I haven't read anything beyond the the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Hobbit.  That being the case, I can't judge the other books and I certainly can't compare them fairly.  You can't have a favorite over something you don't know (at least, that's my case).

gizzywiz
Peasant Status

#7 Post by gizzywiz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:08 am

I really should have grouped the lesser known books as one option "his other books".  However, I read in the news that his son is publishing and editing another of Tolkien's stories.   :rollin

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#8 Post by Schloss Ritter » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:17 am

The Silmarillion was interesting at points, but I remember it being pretty dry overall, reading more like a history book than a novel.  I have heard this is because it was compiled after Tolkien's death from his notes on the history of Middle Earth.  He never got around to paring it down to a more readable (set of) novel(s).

I think LotR is is most developed work.  He even rewrote part of The Hobbit to better fit in with the LotR storyline.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Tolkien

#9 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:54 pm

gizzywiz wrote:I really should have grouped the lesser known books as one option "his other books".  However, I read in the news that his son is publishing and editing another of Tolkien's stories.   :rollin
The Children of Húrin.  I haven't gotten a copy yet, but from what I hear, it's supposed to be a decent read.
Schloss Ritter wrote:The Silmarillion was interesting at points, but I remember it being pretty dry overall, reading more like a history book than a novel.  I have heard this is because it was compiled after Tolkien's death from his notes on the history of Middle Earth.  He never got around to paring it down to a more readable (set of) novel(s).
I think it works better if you consider it through the concept of The Silmarillion being Middle-Earth's equivalent to the Bible or Rig Veda or any other combined historical/mythical/religious treatise on our planet.

Mitch
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Mitch » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:12 pm

I never really liked his books, I found that David Edding's 'The Belgariad' were much better  ;)

Xyloc
Peasant Status

Re: Favorite Tolkien Story/Stories

#11 Post by Xyloc » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:53 pm

The Silmarillion is a bit hard to read. But the mythology is great.
The world being made by playing a symphony. Such a beautiful thought...
The story of Lúthien Tínuviel and Béren is great as well. It reads like a complete book of fairy tales.
The Lord of the Rings shines when it comes to coherence. Ahh, maybe I should have switched my vote to the Lord of the Rings...

mgoetze
Peasant Status

Re: Favorite Tolkien Story/Stories

#12 Post by mgoetze » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:48 pm

gizzywiz wrote:I ask to find out how popular Tolkien's works are to the people here.
You kinda asked the wrong question then, didn't you? How will you distinguish between people who have read only LOTR, and people who have read a lot more than that but consider LOTR superior to anything else?
I am currently reading the Lays of Beleriand (in the Lost Tales series).  Would anyone want to see more than the Lord of the Rings get made into a movie?
I read LOTR 6 times and never watched the movies. Does that answer your question?