Rank the QFG games.

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

jayjech
Peasant Status

Rank the QFG games.

#1 Post by jayjech » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:17 pm

Which QFG game did you like the most?  Which did you like the least?

Here's my preference:

FAVOURITE
So You Want to Be a Hero?
Trial By Fire
Shadows of Darkness

DISLIKED
Wages of War
Dragon Fire

I found that I can't really rank them, but I can lump them into raw categories.  I can take it a little further and say that Shadows of Darkness is my overall favourite, while Wages of War is my least favourite.  Originally, I went on to explain why Wages of War is disliked (and Dragon Fire, consequently,) but I wrote so much that I had to fork it into a different thread for the purpose of keeping this thread clean and to the point.

Anway, post on!

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Quest For Ranking

#2 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:53 pm

In order of preference:

Hero's Quest (EGA)
Quest For Glory II
Quest For Glory IV
Quest For Glory I (VGA)
Quest For Glory III
Quest For Glory V.

I didn't outright dislike ANY game, but I didn't think V had the "flavour" of the other games.  It was entertaining, but it felt like another game - that had QFG characters in it.

Bt

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#3 Post by Kurdt » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:39 am

In order of preference:

QFG2
QFG4
QFG5
QFG1 (EGA and VGA)
QFG3

2 and 4 really do constantly battle for supremacy, but I only say 2 because it had the perfect illusion of expansiveness. Shapeir really was a sprawling metropolis, and with all the different plazas with all their different flavors, it was just so amazing to me. I really thought I could do anything there.

As for why I rate QFG5 above QFG1, it's not that I dislike 1 at all (hardly; it's amazing). I just enjoyed 5 a lot. I thought it maintained the QFG flavor just fine and even had an air of sophistication. You totally know that you aren't the same person you were in Spielburg. QFG1 was very innocent, in that you certainly did feel ripe as a hero. By QFG5, you've seen a great deal and it shows. I like that a lot. I love that something so simple as color choice and layout can set the tone so completely. Another plus point for it was the amount of spell, weapon, and armor options. That was really cool.

jayjech
Peasant Status

#4 Post by jayjech » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:49 am

Interesting.  It's nice to hear from someone who really likes QFGV.

I never got into it, because quite frankly, I hated the graphics.  In my opinion, EGA > VGA > 3D.  Every shift seems to take the genre further from "adventure game" and make it an "action game."  Removal of the text parser makes the game feel closed; removal of the action buttons makes it feel dead.

Nonetheless, you like this game better than QFG1!  I'll HAVE to give it another shot, I think  ;)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#5 Post by Gronagor » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:39 am

QfG2
HQ1/QfG1EGA
QfG3
QfG1
QfG4
QfG5

If the game was made today with 3D you'd have seen QfGXV by now. Hand-drawn backgrounds and characters are just a lot more work than 3D.

But 3D will never succeed in getting the same type of magic as we've seen with QfG and KQ. That's probably why many designers are currently discussing the possibility that 3D will die out soon, with people losing interest.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

My opinion

#6 Post by Brainiac » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:02 pm

I dislike none of these games, so I can't really rank them very well.  All I can really say is Trial by Fire and Shadows of Darkness are my two favorites, and the other three are all still excellent games.

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by BrianR » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:44 pm

First of all, I did not play the original qfg1.  But how can the original be that much better than to be 1 or 2 spots higher on your list?  Wasn't mostly graphics and sound improvements?
Does this mean the remake of 2 that they are working on will not be as good as the original?

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

QFG verdict

#8 Post by Jontas » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:07 pm

QFG 4
QFG 1 (both)
QFG 5
QFG 3
QFG 2

Yes I admit #2 was my least favorite! Please don't hate me  :D
I'm sure that it will move up on my list once I play the remake (brown noses AGDI), but seriously I can't wait to play it, I've even got a fighter, magic user, thief and a hybrid waiting to be imported.

#'s 4+1 are interchangeable for first place based on my mood I guess.
Last edited by Jontas on Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#9 Post by gamecreator » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:31 am

QfG4
QfG3
QfG1 EGA
QfG2
QfG1 VGA
QfG5

It's interesting that so many people seem to really like QfG4, despite the bugs.  That teaches us something.
And I'll post again when I figure out what.   ;)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#10 Post by Gronagor » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:03 am

BrianR wrote:First of all, I did not play the original qfg1.  But how can the original be that much better than to be 1 or 2 spots higher on your list?  Wasn't mostly graphics and sound improvements?
Does this mean the remake of 2 that they are working on will not be as good as the original?
As Brainiac said, I like all of them. As Jontas said, depends on my mood. I just enjoyed HQ1 more... QfG1VGA probably less because I already knew the plotline.

AND the hero-costume in the original is a classic!

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

Buggy Games

#11 Post by Jontas » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:23 pm

gamecreator wrote:It's interesting that so many people seem to really like QfG4, despite the bugs.  That teaches us something.
And I'll post again when I figure out what.   ;)
Yeah, it is interesting, the game was fantastic. I remember when I first owned daggerfall, I was so hooked on that game, I just couldn't stop playing. I think most people will agree that TES2 (The Elder Scrolls 2 - Daggerfall) was one of the most buggy games ever released in PC game history, but I loved it regardless.

rich_eter
Peasant Status

#12 Post by rich_eter » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:51 pm

I skipped over everyone else's results not to bias mine:

Quest for Glory IV
Quest for Glory I (EGA version)
Quest for Glory II
Quest for Glory III
Quest for Glory V

I liked QFG4 best despite it's bugginess and the fact that it had no text parser because the story was cool. The atmosphere is cool; the voice-over is cool; the characters were cool; and of all the QFG sequels it had the closest feel to the original gameplay-wise.

XenoPhsycoMan
Peasant Status

#13 Post by XenoPhsycoMan » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:47 pm

Quest For Glory 4
Quest For Glory 1 (VGA)
Quest For Glory 2
Quest For Glory 3
Quest For Glory 5

Though Quest for Glory 5 was better on Graphics and fresh and good storyline there were glitches through the roof when i played and it made the game incredible worthless to me. I had no motivation to continue. 6/10

Quest for Glory 3 was very good, different but good, i can beat it in a day now which lowered the ranking plus i never appreciated that bug that happened during the simbani warrior trials...it pissed me off so much. You know what is funny though i had rations for like 20 days and i was still living on the 31st 7.5/10

Quest for Glory 2 was great, the story line i think is probably the best out of all of them but the whole typing based system made it hard and not so fun to play, and the graphics were the lowest grade of all the games. 8/10

Quest for Glory 1 was a classic and a hard choice between 1st and 2nd place. It started it all and had so many awesome things about it, except the weapon master and i even slowed my comp down to 1% with TURBO and i couldnt do it! But all in all great game 9/10

Quest For Glory 4 Even though there was the ominous Error 52 bug and goo bug and stuff (though i only ran into the Error 52) it was the best QFG for me. It got back all of the classic styles from 1 brought back some of 2 none really of 3 but the fact that it had voice acting (which even had a glitch in there but it was when ur talking to the 3 guys in the inn and when ur talking about the town one of them randomly says "Im tellin ya man Igor's Death must be avenged!" When u might have never met igor or knew he was dead. It even had baba yaga in it! the puzzles were fairly simple and fun and the storyline was very good in my opinon. Erana is finally seen, u can cop a feel, Ad Avis is there although ugly and creepier though i liked his costume in 2 better, all in all the most entertaining QFG out there. 10/10 (it was also one of the only QFGs i scored a 500 on my first try, though that was because it was the german version where there was no error 52, i didnt know what was going on...ever)

XenoPhsycoMan
Peasant Status

#14 Post by XenoPhsycoMan » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:50 pm

even tho i dissed 5 i thought it was a great addition graphically and story wise but i could never finish it b/c of the bugs

I didnt dislike any of the qfg series i love em all once i find my copy of 5 ill try again! HA!

NightSpawn
Peasant Status

#15 Post by NightSpawn » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:11 pm

Quest For Glory 2
Quest For Glory 4
Quest For Glory 5
Quest For Glory 1
Quest For Glory 3

As far as my ranking, I didn't start playing with one.  I started on 2.  You know, even without all the background info, I still could play this game as though it was the first in the series.  Because of this, I have long put off playing the VGA remake of QFG.  Perhaps I will wait until I play the VGA remake of 2 first, LOL.  You know, for old time's sake.  

QFG 4 was just so awesome.  I remember lusting to play the game after hearing about it.  Then I finally got it, installed it, and boom, bugs up the Wazoo!!  Yet somehow, I did manage to complete it at least once.  For that, I am forever thankful that the QFG Gods have smiled down upon me.  I have never since been able to beat it with all the bugs and so-called patches.

QFG 5, I just don't see what people are talking about here.  What bugs?  I have played that game about 50 times, and I have never once seen any bugs in the game.  Maybe it's just me.  I thought that was a nice game in the series.  Would like to see it go a tad bit further with today's technology.  You know, like a Legend of Zelda :The Ocarina of Time sort of interface or display, whatever you call it.  That would be so cool.  I would shell out $60 - $80 a game all over again for them.  Even if they are just remakes.

QFG 1 it was good, short but good.  I loved the humor in that one.  It just didn't feel right after playing the 2nd one first, but it did help me better understand 2 when I played it.  LOL.

QFG 3:  This got a bad rap, and again, all these bugs?  I must have gotten lucky with my copy.  It was bug free.  The only bugs I ever had were in 4.  I like 3, even though the thief got screwed for activities in that chapter.  It had it moments, but I did enjoy just like the rest.  God, I am such a QFG addict.  I wonder if there's a clinic with my name on it somewhere?  LOL.

Neurotically Yours,
NightSpawn

P.S. - Still very excited about the release of QFG II!!

nilvaz
Peasant Status

#16 Post by nilvaz » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:48 pm

My rankings:
QFG 4

The atmosphere in 4 is nearly unbeatable, its always been the most fun for me. 2 easily comes in second as its setting was really interesting and all the easter eggs made it alot of fun. 1 is just a total classic and an all around good game. 3 and 5 are almost tied for me, as they both try to do too much and end up falling short of all the "innovations" they try and throw at you.

nilvaz
Peasant Status

#17 Post by nilvaz » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:52 pm

NightSpawn wrote: QFG 5, I just don't see what people are talking about here.  What bugs?  I have played that game about 50 times, and I have never once seen any bugs in the game.  Maybe it's just me.  
Maybe its just you...but i bought 5 the day it came out and it was riddled with bugs. Patches cleared up alot of the issues later, but it originally was terrifically horrible to play through. And i still think it ultimately is hollow and rushed compared to 4, 1 or 2.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#18 Post by Vroomfondel » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:04 pm

QFG5
QFG4
QFG2
QFG1
QFG3

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#19 Post by Ghost_Rider » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:25 am

QFG4
QFG1EGA
QFG1VGA
QFG5
QFG2
QFG3

I used to not like QFG5 much at all... but lately it's been more appealing.  QFG2 may move up that list a bit when the AGDI version comes out.   ;)

Shade
Peasant Status

#20 Post by Shade » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:32 am

As others have said, I loved tehm all and I feel guilty putting a game at the bottom of the list as if I didn't enjoy it.

QFG4

The voice acting was superb, the writing excellent, and the plot very cohesive.  Ther aren't random little tangents that don't build towards the whole experience.  An example of this would be the Rusalka subplot being tied in effectively with the gypsies as opposed to QFG1's meeps who are just sort of there.  Several storylines get very emotional with one scene in particular being the most touching thing I've seen done in a computer game.

QFG3

Is it weird that I picked this one for #2.  I thought the storyline really stands out and some very unusualy choices work pretty well.  QFG2 is neck and neck with this one but ummm... it doesn't have Arne Saknoosen.

QFG2

Great game, really established a lot of elements that would appear in later installments as far as puzzles and story elements.  Some wacky puns.  I would have made this one #3 except that I have always felt burdened by the "dead days" in which the character has nothing to do but level up and train.  Sensible yes, but not very fun.  And lord couldn't there have been something else to do in Raseir?  

QFG5

The Quest that "Could-a" - Maybe this one had so much pressure on it because of the time between 4 and 5 and the cliffhanger in between.  I do enjoy this game and I do think it makes a nice close to the series.  What I would have liked to see included:

1. A more interesting villain
2. I don't want to give part of the plot away but, let's just say there is a "task" you fulfill at the end that is nice but maybe it deserved to have its own scene devoted to it.  I remember when the end sequence played I had a feeling of "ooooh that needed 3 more minutes"
3. Punny Bones

To be fair, the "final installment" is always judged more harshly than previous ones.

QFG1

Cute but not as funny as later installments.  The differences between the classes didn't feel as pronounced for me here as it did later on.  The characters are a bit less "quotable."  Erasmus is fun but I always felt he could have been a bit more here.  Antwerps though... genius, pure genius.[/b]
Last edited by Shade on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#21 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:30 pm

Here's mine.

Quest For Glory I EGA
Quest For Glory I VGA

That's all I've played so far....

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#22 Post by Vildern » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:01 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Here's mine.

Quest For Glory I EGA
Quest For Glory I VGA

Me too, glad to learn I'm not the only one!  We're like brothers in crime on these boards, having played only these two from that classic series!  :lol

gamecreator
Knight Status

#23 Post by gamecreator » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:31 pm

:eek
Alright, I'm curious: why?  Why not play the rest?  I take it from your join dates that you've each played your first QfG game quite a few years ago.  Why not continue the adventure in all that time?

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#24 Post by Jontas » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:22 pm

Vildern wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:Here's mine.

Quest For Glory I EGA
Quest For Glory I VGA

Me too, glad to learn I'm not the only one!  We're like brothers in crime on these boards, having played only these two from that classic series!  :lol
You guys are hardcore rebels man. duuudes, whooooa.
I for one am dumbfounded, I mean... wha?... bu?... wooba?  :cry

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#25 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:31 am

QFG is the one series I have no expertise in. I know every other game off by heart. I've just never experienced QFG yet. I just finished QFG1 a few months ago. I started QFG2 but haven't gotten anywhere yet. Just don't have the time.

I never played them before because I could never get a hold of the games.