Ipod's

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Do you plan on getting an Ipod/Nano/Shuffle?

Already got mine :)
35%
I'll be buying/getting one soon
5%
Not sure yet
No votes
Unlikely
30%
I'm sticking with what I got
30%

Total votes: 20

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

Ipod's

#1 Post by Music Head » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:52 am

Hey all,

Well i've decided for Christmas i'm getting an Ipod Nano :) and thought i'd ask you guys if your intested in getting them aswell. I was gonna get the orig Ipod cos it could play movies but then I learnt you can get the Nano to do that by installing Linux on it along with a vid player. So please do tell your opinions on these cool little gadgets.

The Microsoft Zune also looks very cool and might give Apple a run for their money.

pass
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by pass » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:55 pm

I'm satisfyed with my mp3 player.  :)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:20 pm

I've heard nothing but bad things about the iPod. How people keep returning them time after time because of problems. I'm sticking to my MP3-playing CD Player. Perhaps if someone comes out with an MP3 player that will play OGG Vorbis files I'll get that. MP3's aren't CD Quality anyway.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Music Head » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:40 pm

Yeah I've heard the screen is pretty dodgy and if you drop it then it's goodbye. I'm gonna have to be extra careful with it. Hopefully it'll come with a warrenty or something.

I believe if you install linux onto your Ipod your able to play ogg files. I always thought that mp3s were generally better then cd quality, if they had a bitrate higher then 128kbps??

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:52 pm

Nope. Techinically no MP3 file no matter what bitrate you encode them at is ever going to be CD Quality. But it's all about what people hear. Even with bitrates as high as 192 or 256 it still doesn't quite get the high frequencies right, though. OGG does a much better job of getting near-CD quality sound. And they're smaller. Sounds interesting about the linux/OGG thing, though.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#6 Post by Kurdt » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:24 am

I got a 60Mb-iPod for free and I like it just fine. It plays video which is pretty cool, and it's good for working out. It used to be all I played in my car, but my new truck doesn't have a tape deck and I don't like the quality of those frequency adapter deals that play the iPod through the radio, so I just stick to my CDs. CDs are more reliable IMO anyway. If your iPod gets stolen or you drop it and it breaks, there goes your whole music collection. I mean, you've got back-ups on the computer, but all the mp3's, music videos, movies, tv shows, etc. that I'd accumulated over the past 5 years were eradicated when my hard drive crapped out on me, so I don't quite trust computers, either.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#7 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:40 pm

I got a red Nano for Christmas and you can drop nanos but not the big type because they're just hard drives and they rip apart inside. Nanos are flash drives and can be dropped.

Dasilva
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Dasilva » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:08 pm

My phone is my ipod. My phone has a mini SD card that can hold 2 gig, so why should I pay over 100 quid for a device that lets me have 2 gig worth of songs? That means I'll have to carry around 2 devices instead of one. But I do love the ipod "look", I just think its a waste of money when you can have a phone that does the same thing. :)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:22 pm

check out the Iphone http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#10 Post by Klytos » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:03 pm

I've got both an iPod and an MP3 player. The MP3 player never gets used. My iPod gets used daily.

Why? The most important feature for me is the iPod is charged on the computer, it doesn't use batteries. I'm sure some MP3 players do that but I don't own one of those. I've heard the stories about the screen being easy to damage, all I can say is that I've dropped mine quite a few times and it still works like a charm. I love my iPod. Public transport blows without it.

Thyme in Lost
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Thyme in Lost » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:54 pm

I got an 80 Gig video IPod for Christmas.
I always have it with me.
I use it mainly has an 80 Gig External Hard drive.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#12 Post by Music Head » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:00 am

New iPods are out, Woo! Just ordered an iPod Classic from apple.com for $350 Australian. Anyone else planning on buying one?