WIT sponsor

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

jayjech
Peasant Status

WIT sponsor

#1 Post by jayjech » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:52 am

Any chance of allowing an alternative sponsor in the remake?  I personally never saw why Aziza wouldn't take you, especially after you meet her and make friends (like, say, if you save Julanar before taking the WIT exam.)

It'd really just involve a little bit of unique dialogue.  Nothing serious.  It's not an important addition, but it's an opportunity to add a little more depth without revolutionizing the game.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#2 Post by Boogeyman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:10 am

It wouldn't work too well(because of Erasmus' role in the the pre-initiation), but it would be cool if you could ask for Katrina as your sponsor!

Gumba Masta
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Gumba Masta » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:16 am

Well, technically, she does appear in the original, albeit in a darkend picture, being the dark master and all. ;)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:44 am

I think Erasmus was meant to be the sole sponsor to take you for the reason he's supposed to be one of your mentors throughout the series. (albeit to less extend than Rakeesh) It wouldn't be appropriate to pass him on here. Also, with Aziza as sponsor, we'd probably have to create a whole different pre-test. We don't want to go that far with story changes.

jayjech
Peasant Status

#5 Post by jayjech » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:22 pm

How about some dialogue for Katrina's picture, then?  She was expelled, of course, but it would be interesting if one could inquire about her.

Anyway, just a thought.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:29 pm

I think that's already there. Katrina's indeed expelled, but at least your request gets properly refused instead of the typical "whadayamean"-like response that pops up when you click on something generic.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#7 Post by Boogeyman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:49 am

And how do we know that Katrina was expelled?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#8 Post by Gronagor » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:24 am

She died. Became a vampire. Became the dark master. Enough reason to be expelled.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:46 am

According to Lori Cole, Katrina got expelled from WIT for her adoption of and devotion to forbidden magics. Her ousting at WIT is official canon.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#10 Post by Gronagor » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:50 pm

Heh. For a nice easteregg you could include one of the modern famous 'magicians'. Hehe!

Ekinatial
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Ekinatial » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:50 pm

They have houdini there in the original as well. If I remember correctly it was erana aziza katrina erasmus ad avis houdini and one or 2 others maybe. zara maybe.

techie775
Knight Status

#12 Post by techie775 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:40 pm

Erpy wrote:According to Lori Cole, Katrina got expelled from WIT for her adoption of and devotion to forbidden magics. Her ousting at WIT is official canon.

Well that's neat to know. I'm always interested in exactly what happened to Katrina. They seemed to be a little vague on her in qfg4. Too bad that Project Katrina game seems to be abandoned.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Only one more

#13 Post by Brainiac » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:37 pm

Ekinatial wrote:They have houdini there in the original as well. If I remember correctly it was erana aziza katrina erasmus ad avis houdini and one or 2 others maybe. zara maybe.
You're right about Zara; the other was Merlin.  Never forget Merlin.

Conceivably, you could replace Houdini with someone more modern, but he was hardly modern at the time of the original game, so I say leave him.  I don't think a change is necessary.

solamon77
Peasant Status

#14 Post by solamon77 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:12 am

techie775 wrote:Too bad that Project Katrina game seems to be abandoned.
Project Katrina game? Tell me more, please.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#15 Post by Music Head » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:23 am

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#16 Post by Boogeyman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:22 am

Erpy wrote:According to Lori Cole, Katrina got expelled from WIT for her adoption of and devotion to forbidden magics. Her ousting at WIT is official canon.

So why wasn't Ad Avis expelled?

jayjech
Peasant Status

#17 Post by jayjech » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:34 am

Ad Avis is dabbling in dark magic as QFG2 takes place.  He's more subtle about it than Katrina was, and the wizards of WIT haven't figured out what he's doing yet.

At the end of QFG2, he dies, obviously, so there's no need to expel him.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#18 Post by Gronagor » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:00 am

Yeah. Ad Avis was still planning to release the Djinn, but haven't done so yet. Katrina have done quite a few horrific stuff already.

Shade
Peasant Status

#19 Post by Shade » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:18 pm

For some reaosn I think the Fairy picture was Genesta from KQ not Erana.  Does anyon eelse remember being able to ask for Genesta as a sponsor and being turned down because she was busy at the moment?  I swear that happened.

Personally, I love the idea of the Hero asking for anyone besides Erasmus as his sponsor and finally havong to scrape the bottom of the barrel (especially considering the 4 Magicians' response to the choice).

I too longed for an in-game response to asking for the Dark Master.

Speaking of which.. in the intro to QFG3 Aziza mentions Ad Avis calling out for aid from the Dark Master... doesn't she?  I don't remember him doing that in the final scene of QFG2, any chance of adding it now?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#20 Post by Erpy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:21 pm

For some reaosn I think the Fairy picture was Genesta from KQ not Erana.  Does anyon eelse remember being able to ask for Genesta as a sponsor and being turned down because she was busy at the moment?  I swear that happened.
No, right-clicking on that picture tells you it's Erana and that she reminds you of Genesta. She can't sponsor you because she's gone MIA.
Personally, I love the idea of the Hero asking for anyone besides Erasmus as his sponsor and finally havong to scrape the bottom of the barrel (especially considering the 4 Magicians' response to the choice).
You can ask, but none of the others will sponsor you. That's not going to change.
Speaking of which.. in the intro to QFG3 Aziza mentions Ad Avis calling out for aid from the Dark Master... doesn't she?  I don't remember him doing that in the final scene of QFG2, any chance of adding it now?
Yes

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#21 Post by Gronagor » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:46 am

Erpy wrote: Yes
Don't you just hate it when Erpy gives you those straight-forward, honest answers. He tells you exactly what you want to know, but you always feel 'cheated': you feel like you know no more than before the answer.  :p

Wouldn't it be possible to 'flip' Raseir entirely? In other words, flip the entire map and every screen. It's supposed to be a mirror city afterall! And would make the experience different from the original.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#22 Post by Erpy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:12 am

Wouldn't it be possible to 'flip' Raseir entirely?
No, NO, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

Um, there's your answer. Doing that sort of thing would take time and work. A lot of time and work. An awful lot of time and work. Too much, in fact.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#23 Post by Gronagor » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:57 pm

Heheh! Ahh! A much more satisfying answer.  :p

Shade
Peasant Status

#24 Post by Shade » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:58 pm

Erpy wrote:You can ask, but none of the others will sponsor you. That's not going to change.
Oh that's what I meant, that no one wants to stick their neck out for you except Erasmus who is not widely respected at WIT.  

And I'm glad that ending with Ad Avis may tie in to QG3 more.  In my mind it would make QG3 feel less separate from the rest of the series.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#25 Post by Kurdt » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:24 am

I think there actually is something somewhere that's canon besides an interview with Lori that actually talks about her being expelled from WIT. I know she says once or twice to the Wizard in QFG4 that she "can teach you things you'd never learn at WIT." Either way, that darkened picture next to Ad Avis is supposed to be hers. I've tried asking for the Dark Master to sponser you and getting nothing, but I never tried Katrina. I'm not sure what it would say.