quest for glory 2 remake coming out

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#26 Post by Erpy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:34 pm

I believe that Infamous Adventures (KQ3 VGA remake) is also licensed.
I don't recall any disclaimer on their site saying so. Not to mention the fact that I think getting licensed would require IA to shed their "infamous spirit", which would be easy for visitors to pick up on. So my hunch is that you are mistaken.
The biggest headache that Vivendi caused recently was trying to shut-down the KQIX project.  The project won, but had to change the name of their game.
The project didn't really win...what took place was a compromise of sorts that involved changing the name of the project to avoid trademark infringement and probably a few additional agreements that involved precautions to maintain and protect the goodwill associated with the KQ franchise.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#27 Post by DonQuixote » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:48 am

It's mostly an assumption, Vivendi is so anal, I can't see how IA gets away with it, especially when they used people that worked on the original Sierra games--such as Josh Mandell and Andy Hoyos; and used a number of graphics and themes from the original game.

In my mind the KQIX project won.  I like to think my little bits here and there helped with the "Save KQIX" project   :D

I had gotten the impression from the project leaders that Vivendi initially wanted to shut the whole project down.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#28 Post by Erpy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:54 am

It's mostly an assumption, Vivendi is so anal, I can't see how IA gets away with it, especially when they used people that worked on the original Sierra games--such as Josh Mandell and Andy Hoyos; and used a number of graphics and themes from the original game.
I think it's simply a matter of the people who enforce VU's intellectual property not having any knowledge of the adventure fangame environment.
In my mind the KQIX project won.  I like to think my little bits here and there helped with the "Save KQIX" project    

I had gotten the impression from the project leaders that Vivendi initially wanted to shut the whole project down.
They did and the fact that the TSL-team kept the contact going, pressed for a solution and sent them a demo probably played a major role.

But I don't see it as a situation that could be won or lost. Since VU had the legal rights, they had won before the battle had started. The TSL team "winning", in my opinion, would have been if a lawsuit had occurred that had been won by the TSL team, allowing them to continue with their project under the KQ9-banner and without having to answer to VU for any content of their game. That's not the case nor a realistic scenario. Seeing the situation in terms of winning or losing also meant "VU winning" would indicate that their intention was to totally squash the KQ9 project at all costs. Their intention was to avoid an infringement of their trademarks and copyrights by a project that used their intellectual property without them having control over it. I see it as a situation that could have turned out as a win or a loss for both parties.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#29 Post by DonQuixote » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:21 am

Regardless, in the end, whatever the definition of "win" or "loss" is, I'm glad the project is continuing.  If anything, Vivendi should be happy with fan-based projects.  With the KQ1, KQ2, KQ3, and KQ9 projects as freeware--there might be an increased amount of people actually interested in buying the released compilations, IMO.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

License

#30 Post by Brainiac » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:04 pm

Erpy wrote:
I believe that Infamous Adventures (KQ3 VGA remake) is also licensed.
I don't recall any disclaimer on their site saying so. Not to mention the fact that I think getting licensed would require IA to shed their "infamous spirit", which would be easy for visitors to pick up on. So my hunch is that you are mistaken.
Erpy's right as far as I know.  I'd bet the general sentiment behind the scenes is "License?  We don't need no stinkin' license!" :D

JWar
Knight Status

#31 Post by JWar » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:25 pm

As far as I understand it, copyright law also involved the clause that the owners/holders need to actively enforce their copyright for it to stay valid. This alone could be the reason for Vivendi's so-called 'anal'-ness.

A question that arises is whether Vivendi's apparent dis-interest in KQ3 will eventually lead to a dispute on whether Vivendi is enforcing their right enough to hold it.

adeyke

#32 Post by adeyke » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:37 pm

As far as I understand it, copyright law also involved the clause that the owners/holders need to actively enforce their copyright for it to stay valid. This alone could be the reason for Vivendi's so-called 'anal'-ness.
That's the case for trademarks but not copyrights.  You don't need to "defend" your copyrights in order to keep them.

Piotyr
Peasant Status

#33 Post by Piotyr » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:54 pm

*Stands therewith a sword and shield* Really? Oh well umm... *Drops them and walks away from his copyrights*

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#34 Post by Klytos » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:04 am

Erpy's right as far as I know.  I'd bet the general sentiment behind the scenes is "License?  We don't need no stinkin' license!"
Remember Bill Clintons "Gays in the military" policy? That's my view of the situation. Don't ask, don't tell.

Shantzy
Peasant Status

#35 Post by Shantzy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:11 pm

Personally, I don't expect anything anymore. The only proof of QFG2VGA coming would be QFG2VGA actually coming.

No need to state how much work is behind doing a non-profit game of this caliber because AGD already did two.

Is it rude to not expect it ever coming? I don't think so because I certainly don't hold it against anyone. The fact that KQ1 and 2 was actually made still impresses the hell out of me and that's more than enough.

Just find it a bit annoying how everyone spout "Oh it's coming, it's coming" like that's the way you remain solidaric. It's better to praise AGD for the enormous things they've actually finished and not worry about QFG, which may not come at all.

Whether it comes or not, I'd like to give kudos to the team to attempt it. It certainly is an amazing feat, in and of itself. It's not a collosal failure if it won't happen because what we've had already is nothing short of amazing.

So yeah, I'm also against the frustrated air here. Just remember that AGD already delivered.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#36 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:42 pm

By hook or by crook, QFG2VGA will be released, and the only thing that will prevent that particular event from transpiring is the demise of the entire development team or Vivendi reversing their decision to allow us to release the game.

"Frustrated" cannot even begin to explain how I feel that QFG2VGA has not been released yet. It should definitely not have taken longer than 2005. At this point in time, the game is so close to going beta, but murphy's law keeps getting in the way. At the moment the QFG2VGA source is just sitting there while we try to sort out a publishing deal for Al Emmo. We actually had a very good offer which fell through and really ended up hurting us financially, so now we're having to devote full time to seeking a new publisher before we can divert full attention back at QFG2VGA. It sucks, and it's a really unfortunate situation... but, hey, in the end, the bills have to be paid.

I realize fans are really anticipating this game and are beginning to get jittery about not being able to play it for so many years. Hell, I would be too! However, if you guys want to see QFG2VGA sooner, then instead of lamenting about the delays, you could alternatively take a proactive approach help us try find a publisher for Al Emmo.  We still have a lot of cool things still to come with AGDI, but this current hurdle is taking up 90% of our time and will continue to do so until we have it under wraps.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#37 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:22 pm

awesome to actually hear something out of you and thanks for the update but I don't know if I quite understand. I thought Al Emmo was already published? or is this for shelves. because I'm not working Iw as going to purchase it online soon but does this mean it would be better to wait or what? I'm not quite sure.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#38 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Yes, I'm talking about a retail version that would be available in stores like Bestbuy and EBgames.

But whether that will actually occur or not depends on whether we can prove that the game is viable to publish. Obviously, the delays caused by the initial publisher's withdrawal have not really helped things in that department as the game has already been available for some time now. But many people have held off from buying the game because it's only available online and they don't like dealing with Paypal or credit card merchants. So getting some retail exposure would make it more easily obtainable, as well as getting us enough money from a publishing deal to relax a bit and be able to work on QFG2VGA uninterrupted.

I can't say for certain whether it will happen or not, but we're still talking with a North American publisher about the whole thing. Hopefully something will pan out. And in regards to whether you should get the game now or wait for a possible retail version, I'd say it all depends on how much you want to play it. A retail version would most likely have a proper box and paper manual, but it still might not happen. And assuming it does, it'll also take a while to finalize things and get the inventory onto store shelves.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#39 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:00 pm

speedy reply! thanks. I think I'll keep myself occupied anyhow with world of Warcraft and consoles untill I hear more news. I like having the box most and I've already waited this long. It's difficult to describe how cool it really is to be discussing a product with the actual developer though. although if you're finding you don't have time for bug squashing personally is it just the long list of allready known bugs that's stopping beta? If not then perhaps it would be optimal for beta to commence earlier save for the fact that the application process would take some time.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#40 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:34 pm

Hmmm... not really, because beta testing requires constant supervision. It's kinda like playing a game of Space Invaders, where you have all the information overload of bug reports flying at you from all different angles (plus it's a much more complex game than any we've previously worked on). Yet you also have to remain on top of any newly reported bugs every day. Otherwise they keep piling up; just as the Space Invader aliens keep moving down the screen faster and faster if you don't shoot them quickly enough.

Beta testing is only something we can handle when we have full days to fix bugs without the type of unexpected interruptions dealing with 3rd parties (i.e. publishers) inevitably brings. When we announce QFG2VGA beta testing applications, we'll need to be ready to commence a long and dedicated process that involves many months of bug-fixing using multiple waves of testers. It wouldn't be a good thing if we started accepting applicants and then, suddenly, had to push the project aside again to start working on translations for Al Emmo due to contractual obligations. So until we're positive that we can handle the workload and have uninterrupted time to dedicate to QFG2VGA, it's going to be difficult to multi-task things. We'll continue to fix whatever remaining bugs we can in the meantime though.

Shantzy
Peasant Status

#41 Post by Shantzy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:09 pm

Wow.

Thanks for the response! (It wasn't mainly to my post but I still feel honored)  :p

You have a tough situation on your hands really.. I might order Al Emmo from you if that's the only way. I just hope it doesn't make it impossible that you have peddled via paypal before the game is sold through retailer.

I can understand that you wouldn't want to release QFG2VGA on the net at the same time as you are working on releasing your feature. If QFG2VGA could be seen as a front for releasing your own game, Vivendi's patience might wear thin.

I had a thought. Since so many things are bought over the net these days, aren't there some places where people can download games and license to play. I have no idea if such sites exist but it would bring down production costs to zero. You'd sell the game cheaper but at the same time you wouldn't have to worry about manufacturing and shipping.
As I said, I don't know if any game companies work like this or if it's even a good idea.
Maybe it would invite pirating, but that's still a hard thing to avoid.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#42 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:52 pm

oh, I figured that it might have been possible to have all the known bugs posted to the beta team and put aside and then just be notified of new ones found. you could squash them in your off time before you gave them new versions.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Potential networking

#43 Post by Brainiac » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:45 pm

Have you considered trying to find a publisher contact or getting a booth at the AdventureCon?  Of course, it's not until August, so that may be too long a wait...

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#44 Post by Schloss Ritter » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:08 am

I was about to post about AventureCon too.  Here's a Wired article about it, including some comments by Al Lowe: http://www.wired.com/culture/art/news/2 ... recon_0411

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#45 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:13 am

Just an update on the situation;  we have finally signed with North American, Russian, and German publishers.  Al Emmo is currently being prepared for a retail edition, but it's still in the early stages of preparation at this point. We're not allowed to say who the potential North American publishers are just yet, but 2 of them are pretty big players in the industry (one of which has been around since the 70's!).

Things are busy at the moment with preparing the build for a retail version and preparing translation teams for localized versions, but signing contracts is good news as it means that things are now set it stone and there's a lot less to worry about.  Once the initial preparation stages are over, most of the remaining work (i.e. translating, recording localized voice actors etc.) will fall on the translation teams - meaning that we'll be able to get back to finishing QFG2VGA much sooner.

As far as QFG2VGA updates go: We're preparing to touch-up some of the character dialogue pictures in the coming weeks and finalize them for a consistent look throughout the game. We're also continuing to cross off bugs from the to-do list. The list is getting much shorter now, which means that beta testing should commence soonish if no further issues continue to be found.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#46 Post by Swift » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:20 am

Pretty good news. Congrats.

TribeHasSpoken
Peasant Status

#47 Post by TribeHasSpoken » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:29 pm

That's fantastic news. I sure hope that Eriq's great work on the postcard and wanted poster will make it into the retail versions, but if cost pressures force them to be cut then it can't be helped. Is it safe to assume you're still looking for publishers in other territories?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#48 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:09 pm

Thats great, man.  Good luck on the retail version of Al Emmo.

Bt

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#49 Post by Alistair » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:20 pm

Totally awesome. Both the post quality in this thread and the AGD posts.

I'm very glad (from both a Sierra and adventure game community wellbeing perspective) to see both Al Emmo and QFG2VGA progressing, in their very different stages.

It's really pleasing to hear the publishing deal has finally come to fruition- I've wanted to buy a box of the game since it came out, to support the AGDI's and Tom if for no other reason (although I want to play it, and hear the soundtrack).

On a personal note, I'm also very glad to hear Erpy's comments regarding Vivendi- good to hear someone involved in a big project like AGDI talking no nonsense and not afraid to take hits on Vivendi. Kudos to you man, wish more people did it.

AGD2/Erpy, I (and everyone down at Sierra Music Central) wish you guys all the best with QFG2VGA and especially Al Emmo. It's been a rough ride but it can (and will, I'm sure) only get better.

Regards,
- Alistair