Quest for an......Update

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Shabutie
Peasant Status

#26 Post by Shabutie » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:05 pm

I like continuity too.  But as a gamer if everything looked the same with Roger from game to game, I would have been less thrilled with them in retrospect.  I'm sure you'll do an amazing job on the sprites though.  As for changing clothes, I'm not so sure things like "changing clothes", "using the toilet", "eating a burger" are the types of things you have to be constantly reminded of in an adventure game.   In a movie like Harry Potter, you never see him on the can, it's just implied he must've used it (unless there's a spell for that) between scenes.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Not exactly...

#27 Post by Brainiac » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:41 pm

rich_eter wrote:SQ2, 3 and 4 make up a trilogy of sorts. During that time, Roger never goes home. He never changes his clothes. He never gets a haircut or dyes his hair.
I refer you to the shift from brunette to blond between 3 and 4. :D

Lambonius
Knight Status

#28 Post by Lambonius » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Shabutie wrote:I'm not so sure things like "changing clothes", "using the toilet", "eating a burger" are the types of things you have to be constantly reminded of in an adventure game.
I strongly disagree. :D   I love that you can do those things in Space Quest games, especially the going to the bathroom part.  The bathroom in Vohaul's fortress has some of the most amusing descriptions in the game.  Maybe they aren't necessary for other types of adventure games, but in SQ they totally serve to remind us of the blatantly immature (though generally fairly intelligent) sense of humor that figuratively oozes from every pore of that series.

Shabutie
Peasant Status

#29 Post by Shabutie » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:54 pm

Lambonius wrote:
Shabutie wrote:I'm not so sure things like "changing clothes", "using the toilet", "eating a burger" are the types of things you have to be constantly reminded of in an adventure game.
I strongly disagree. :D  
lolz!  Ok ok I know what you're saying, I was just trying to say that "sometimes" things are behind the scenes.   They don't have to be, not saying that, but I think we can accept that the man could have changed his clothes once or twice...

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#30 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:21 am

Shabutie wrote:
Lambonius wrote:
I strongly disagree. :D  
lolz!  Ok ok I know what you're saying, I was just trying to say that "sometimes" things are behind the scenes.   They don't have to be, not saying that, but I think we can accept that the man could have changed his clothes once or twice...
Roger's adventure from Space Quest 2 to 4 only took place over a matter of days - days that he was on the run.  Logically, he'd have no place to change his clothes.  The one time he did in that whole series was when he put on a ScumSoft uniform, I believe.

Bt

Lambonius
Knight Status

#31 Post by Lambonius » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:39 am

well i think he meant putting on and removing various flight suits and things.  There's also the drag queen part in SQ4. ;)

rich_eter
Peasant Status

Re: Not exactly...

#32 Post by rich_eter » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:16 am

Brainiac wrote:
rich_eter wrote:SQ2, 3 and 4 make up a trilogy of sorts. During that time, Roger never goes home. He never changes his clothes. He never gets a haircut or dyes his hair.
I refer you to the shift from brunette to blond between 3 and 4. :D
Dude, Brainiac. You're supposed to be on my side here! That change was a limitation of the palettes. They always wanted Roger to be blond, but couldn't get it to work right in the AGI palette. If you look at the SQ2 Space Piston, you clearly see Roger with blond hair.

Yeah, Roger wears coveralls over his uniform in SQ3. And, his pants actually do get changed in SQ4 after they got burned off... but let's assume he's wearing the exact same clothes at the opening of SQ4 as he was in SQ2. Wow, I can't believe I feel the need to defent these choices.

btw, Roger eats a burger, sits on the can and changes his clothes during the course of the SQ adventures.

antonyo
Royal Servant Status

#33 Post by antonyo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:15 am

Well, except for his shirt's neckhole which is larger in SQ4 and show his purple shirt under a little bit more, his clothes in SQ1VGA and SQ4 are exactly the same. Same gray clothes, black boots, belt, same purple sleeves, even the badge is there. And there's always room between SQ3 and SQ4 where he could have shopped a bit.

But, we're talking about a series where a flight of an undeterminated number of days/weeks/months/years/eons in a cryogenic chamber turned somebody's boots' color from purple to black, and where the purchase of a "free" whistle created a vendetta of epic proportion between a space janitor and a company's debt collection department. If the uniform is somewhat similar, who care if the model is changed a bit to a more detailed one (he had eyes at least in SQ1VGA)... except overworked sprite artists chained to their computer desks, that is.

Speaking of which, I wonder how will you deal with the "free" whistle in the remake, and if we'll get new, sarcastic and hillarous death message like those found here?

I also seems to remember that, in QFG3's introduction, during the flashback of the confrontation with Ad Avis, the hero is wearing the clothes of QFG3 and not the arabian styled clothes of QFG2. Shouldn't the hero, in final scene of QFG2VGA, wear the same clothes as those in QFG3 for the sake of continuity? ;)
Last edited by antonyo on Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#34 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:48 am

I also seems to remember that, in QFG3's introduction, during the flashback of the confrontation with Ad Avis, the hero is wearing the clothes of QFG3 and not the arabian styled clothes of QFG2. Shouldn't the hero, in final scene of QFG2VGA, wear the same clothes as those in QFG3 for the sake of continuity?
Nope, we'll consider that as a discrepancy in QFG3. There are other inconsistancies in QFG3's Iblis ritual too, such as Ad Avis's summoning words differing (which we have attempted to address in QFG2VGA), and the fact that he calls out to the Dark Master in QFG3 but didn't in QFG2 EGA (which has also been rectified).

But changing the hero's clothes after the Djinni teleports him back to Raseir, wouldn't make much logical sense -- he's supposed to be rushing in order to prevent the end of the world from occuring. So there would be no time or reason for him to change clothes (particulary into his European-style leather jerkin, boots, and green pants outfit), given the urgency of the situation.

The way I see it, we shouldn't need to make comprimises to the game/story logic to fix something that was simply an obvious fault in QFG3.  Things such as that simply come down to the Sierra animators being too lazy to make a few extra animations of the hero in his Arabian garb.  :D

antonyo
Royal Servant Status

#35 Post by antonyo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:54 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:But changing the hero's clothes after the Djinni teleports him back to Raseir, wouldn't make much logical sense -- he's supposed to be rushing in order to prevent the end of the world from occuring. So there would be no time or reason for him to change clothes (particulary into his European-style leather jerkin, boots, and green pants outfit), given the urgency of the situation.
Well, you could have used the european outfit straight from the begining of the remake (but it would have been rather boring and wouldn't have fitted the atmosphere of the game), or changed the clothes once the hero arrived at Rasier (but it would be an overkill amount of effort and additionnal animations just to correct a tiny continuity error).

Mind, my original comment was just a smartass rebuttal to the Clothes continuity Vs "It's just a game, no need to be so faithful" debate, I was not poking at QFG2VGA.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Responses

#36 Post by Brainiac » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:05 pm

rich_eter wrote:Dude, Brainiac. You're supposed to be on my side here!
Never said I wasn't; just pointing out an all-too-obvious alteration.  It's that whole uptight perfectionist bent that makes me a good tester rearing its head. :lol And besides, it's not like Bt didn't miss one either (getting a replacement "generic space hero" outfit and changing into drag at the Galaxy Galleria).
antonyo wrote:Well, you could have used the european outfit straight from the begining of the remake (but it would have been rather boring and wouldn't have fitted the atmosphere of the game)...
Which is why they chose to use the old arabian-style clothes.  If you look at some of their REALLY old screenshots, the hero was in his standard garb but with pointed arabian shoes.  From what I recall, the community didn't much care for the look, so the AGDs went back to the classic outfit.

techie775
Knight Status

#37 Post by techie775 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:56 pm

antonyo wrote:Well, except for his shirt's neckhole which is larger in SQ4 and show his purple shirt under a little bit more, his clothes in SQ1VGA and SQ4 are exactly the same. Same gray clothes, black boots, belt, same purple sleeves, even the badge is there. And there's always room between SQ3 and SQ4 where he could have shopped a bit.
Don't forget in sq4 at the mens clothes store roger get new pants since the latex babes ruined his old ones. Also in sq1 he lost his janitor uniform in the sarien washing machine. You wear the sarien uniform at the end.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#38 Post by Jontas » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:47 pm

I haven't changed my jeans for a week, basicaly because I do my own laundry.
And yes, yes I do feel like a hero!
:hat

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#39 Post by Klytos » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:27 am

antonyo wrote:Speaking of which, I wonder how will you deal with the "free" whistle in the remake, and if we'll get new, sarcastic and hillarous death message like those found here
A minor discussion was held about this, but it's not being changed. It's still free in SQ2.

If people get upset about the free / in debt between 2 and 3, then they don't understand the humour of SQ games and should probably play something else. I'd suggest Frogger.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#40 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:35 pm

I played both several times and never noticed that! I guess SQ is my kind of game

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#41 Post by Schloss Ritter » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:28 pm

I thought I had heard that, while the whislte itself was free, Roger failed to read the fine print and still owed shipping and handling charges.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Heh-heh-heh

#42 Post by Brainiac » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:48 am

Schloss Ritter wrote:I thought I had heard that, while the whislte itself was free, Roger failed to read the fine print and still owed shipping and handling charges.
I like that.  Someone should forward it to Scott Murphy; he can start using that as his excuse for the mistake.