What sucks about QFG series.

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#51 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Mon May 14, 2007 5:29 am

I love the shot with the necrotaur.
The best thing about the battle system in Shadows was the SFX and music.
As I have said, they tried to do Mortal Combat and Street Fighter.

I liked the shadows combat system. Altough they could have done better with the controls.

TheSaint
Peasant Status

#52 Post by TheSaint » Mon May 14, 2007 3:07 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:
TheSaint wrote:
Blackthorne519 wrote: ENGLISH!  DO YOU SPEAK IT?

Bt
i made no "grammar and spelling" mistakes, i've used a few usual irc shortcuts for words due to simple laziness. So, unless you are illiterate, you will understand me.

ktnxbye
That doesn't make it any less annoying.
i don't disagree

TheSaint
Peasant Status

#53 Post by TheSaint » Mon May 14, 2007 3:24 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:
Quest For Glory Fan wrote:
TheSaint wrote: i made no "grammar and spelling" mistakes, i've used a few usual irc shortcuts for words due to simple laziness. So, unless you are illiterate, you will understand me.

ktnxbye
That doesn't make it any less annoying.
Absolutely.  Usual IRC shortcuts are for window-lickers.  And, yes, I understand you - but with great difficulty.  Honestly, "knxbye" makes you sounds like a tard who can't say "Okay?  Thanks.  Bye."  As off topic as this is, in discussions such as this I won't be want to read what you have to say about the given topic, in this case "What Sucks about the QFG series".  And as I appreciate your enthusiasm and love of the games, I would rather be able to understand and read your thoughts an opinions than have to skip over them for illegibility.

Bt
Well you could've said that in this way the first place, without provoking any kind of reaction. As much as my post might've annoyed you, because you had problems reading it, an appropriate response would've been far more productive and wouldn't have annoyed me as much as yours did, pointing out how i made mistakes with sarcastic comments etc.

If i was retard as you pointed out i would've probably only responded in similar manner thus starting a flame or exchange of offenses. Hence your post would've been contra productive and served no purpose.

Anyways, lets close the matter and talk more about my favorite game series - QFG.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#54 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon May 14, 2007 5:41 pm

TheSaint wrote:If i was retard as you pointed out i would've probably only responded in similar manner thus starting a flame or exchange of offenses. Hence your post would've been contra productive and served no purpose.

You are an amazing source of unintentional hilarity.

Now, back to QFG.

I much prefer the original title to the game series "Hero's Quest".  I bought "Hero's Quest" in 1989 - and I refered to QFGII when I got it as "Hero's Quest II".

I also happen to prefer the EGA SCI Hero's Quest to the QFG1VGA version.  I like the VGA version, but there's this amazing charm in the EGA graphics that didn't transfer with the VGA backgrounds.  I also LOVE the EGA hero's costume for some reason.  I think that sprite is a great Sierra Sprite.  His walk is very expressive.  

Bt

twiztidbudsmoker
Peasant Status

#55 Post by twiztidbudsmoker » Mon May 14, 2007 5:46 pm

"The trouble with QfG IV was that we had the game done and then had to port it to the new SCI32 interpreter before we shipped. Systems guys said it would take 2 weeks -it took 3 months and never really worked right.
I play the origional QFG4 disks on my computer from 95 and it works great, I think the problem is new computers. I dont know why everyone says it doesnt work your using the crappy cd coppy on a new computer, get the origional on an old computer its worth it to play the game bug free

TheSaint
Peasant Status

#56 Post by TheSaint » Mon May 14, 2007 7:53 pm

I much prefer the original title to the game series "Hero's Quest".  I bought "Hero's Quest" in 1989 - and I refered to QFGII when I got it as "Hero's Quest II".

I also happen to prefer the EGA SCI Hero's Quest to the QFG1VGA version.  I like the VGA version, but there's this amazing charm in the EGA graphics that didn't transfer with the VGA backgrounds.  I also LOVE the EGA hero's costume for some reason.  I think that sprite is a great Sierra Sprite.  His walk is very expressive.  

Bt
i live to protect,serve & amuse  :p

I like Hero's Quest too, but if i remember correctly there was some issue (copyright?) with that name.

And i totally agree with statement that simple EGA graphics bested VGA with "simple coolness".  

Now the question: would people like to play qfg sequel  so to say (or a game totally similiar to it) if it was done with EGA graphics and text parser along with mouse? (like QFG2)

p.s. i didnt like the color of Hero's cloak in EGA version to be honest, black is great but red cloak owns

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Trademark

#57 Post by Brainiac » Tue May 15, 2007 1:01 pm

TheSaint wrote:I like Hero's Quest too, but if i remember correctly there was some issue (copyright?) with that name.
Yep, the board game "HeroQuest" was the source of the problems.  My cousin actually owned that thing.

Slarty Bardfast
Royal Servant Status

Hero Quest

#58 Post by Slarty Bardfast » Tue May 15, 2007 9:46 pm

hehehehe Yeah I had that game, all the cardboard doorways got smushed pretty bad though.....

It was sort of like Diablo... with dice

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#59 Post by Boogeyman » Wed May 16, 2007 6:26 am

I had it too! Have a PC version as well.

One more thing:
"You may remember QFG1 as 'Hero's Quest'. After the publication of the game, it was discovered that the Milton Bradley company had already trademarked the name 'HeroQuest', and a decision was made to change the name to avoid the confusion."

antonyo
Royal Servant Status

#60 Post by antonyo » Wed May 16, 2007 10:20 am

I somehow prefer Quest For Glory. The "Something Quest" title is simply overused and getting kinda cliche. IMO, Hero's Quest is to Quest For Glory what Larry's Quest is to Leisure Suit Larry.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Repetition

#61 Post by Brainiac » Wed May 16, 2007 1:04 pm

Boogeyman wrote:"You may remember QFG1 as 'Hero's Quest'. After the publication of the game, it was discovered that the Milton Bradley company had already trademarked the name 'HeroQuest', and a decision was made to change the name to avoid the confusion."
Didn't I just say that?
Brainiac wrote:Yep, the board game "HeroQuest" was the source of the problems.  My cousin actually owned that thing.
:D

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#62 Post by Klytos » Wed May 16, 2007 1:24 pm

The board game was awesome, I have a lot of fond memories of that game. In fact, I love it. I still own it. And the two expansion packs that were released in Australia.

I also agree with everything that Blackthorne said. As usual.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Expansions

#63 Post by Brainiac » Thu May 17, 2007 12:42 pm

Klytos wrote:I still own it. And the two expansion packs that were released in Australia.
Which ones were that?  I ask because there were I think seven total expansions, two of which were US-only and three of which were non-US only.  I've been trying to get my hands on the full packs for an friend who's rather hardcore into tabletop games (he can get everything but the miniatures with relavtive ease).

cew-smoke
Peasant Status

#64 Post by cew-smoke » Fri May 18, 2007 3:21 am

I'm almost embarassed to admit when I first saw the board game I got really excited because I thought that Sierra had licensed a boardgame of their Hero's Quest.  Imagine my crushed little feelings when I realized the two had nothing to do with each other. :lol

I did however by a sort of semi, kinda similar boardgame called Dungeon.  It was like fluffy D&D lite.  I loved that thing.

Piotyr
Peasant Status

#65 Post by Piotyr » Mon May 21, 2007 2:16 pm

Ok back on topic

Qfg1vga I consider perfect in almost every way, I love the atmosphere, the game play, hell I love the hero's costume with cape! I know some of you may like the ega version better but I was never into typing games and quite prefer the point and click option.

Qfg2 as I said I never got into the typing game, I found myself looking at walkthroughs just to figure out what to type. I shall pass on talking about this one(Tho the combat system was the best imo)

Qfg3 Ok this one all I can say is it was unrefined, really it was their first step into point and click and they had to test the waters, the combat system sucked hardcore too and that didn't help. I really liked the plot and even tho the thief lacks side quests everyone did things in their own way so its fine with me. Also about the whole lion and human thing, the hero didn't deal with that because that was their way of doing things, you can't just go up to people and tell them the way they live is wrong if they aren't doing anything that is truely bad(No one was being hurt, everyone had their own village etc).

Qfg4 Bugs... I will be revisiting this game once 2vga is released but all that comes to mind was bugs... The game was good but I can't see beyond that till I play it again without the... Bugs...

Qfg5 Ok again this is their first step into a new style, 3d. They did pretty damn good imo and bringing everyone from the past and effectively tying up loose ends and pretty much making everything harkens you back to all the other games was great. But the combat system was lacking and there were other little things that I can't quite think of right now thanks to it being more then half a decade since I whipped it out (Will be fixed once 2vga comes out, QFG MARATHON BABY!). Really if the combat system were made better(Which would require a major revamp of the whole damn game so it aint gunna happen for a while at least lol) it would of ranked right up there with all the others.
Really what depressed me tho was the game ended the series... Now I am glad it did because there's closure but back then I felt bad because well... Its over.

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#66 Post by Crowley9 » Mon May 21, 2007 6:54 pm

I too have recently thought about playing through the entire series. One of the reasons I find myself once again back here.

I only have a couple of major problems with QfG3. One is that there are no possibilities to train some skills, climbing and lockpicking if I remember correctly. My only other beef is how easy it is to play a fighter and unintentionally end up becoming a paladin halfway through the game. Thank goodness for the class checks when importing your character to parts three and four. I myself tend to use a wizard from QfG3 as the basis of all classes in QfG4 so that I can have a maxed-out spell list, even though the only gain is the near-useless Juggling Lights. I'm a perfectionist.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#67 Post by Lambonius » Mon May 21, 2007 7:57 pm

Over the last month I played through the entire series (well not quite; I'm in the middle of 5 now), and I'd definitely say 3 was the weak point, though I like it well enough.  

4 is great, and the bugs don't bother me that much (I've figured out how to make it run pretty flawlessly on my system at this point), but what really does bug me about the game is the choppyness of certain elements, namely the ego's walking/running/sneaking animations, and story inconsistencies.  While the story itself is good, it is very possible to miss interesting character interactions and conversational plot development if you don't do things in exactly the right order.  This is due mainly, I think, to shoddy programming.  For example, if you rescue Tanya before listening in on Yuri and Bella's conversation in their bedroom at night, you won't get the congratulatory conversation with Yuri and Bella after Tanya's rescue.  In fact, Yuri will continue to talk about how much he misses Tanya even after you've rescued her.  Little inconsistencies like that pop up all over the place in that game, and it really breaks the mood for me, since I like to let those games unfold like a storybook, even if I already know where to go and what to do.

I hear all the talk about people's disappointment in 5, but I gotta say, I really enjoy that game.  Like, one of my favorites in the series kind of enjoyment.  The combat is a touch on the weak side, but if you go to the effort of learning the keyboard controls and actually attempting to block and stuff now and then, it's pretty entertaining, and can be quite challenging with the difficulty raised all the way.  Also, in my opinion, character building and training is the most enjoyable in this game.  I'm not sure why, but it just seems less tedious somehow, probably because there is a lot more to see and do at any given time than any of the previous games.  There are a lot of little details added into this game that make the world seem so much more alive than in any of the others.  I had forgotten how much I liked the game until I just started playing it again.

1 and 2 are both classics in every way, and I actually prefer the EGA original to the VGA remake of the first game, if for no other reason than for consistency's sake when leading into Trial by Fire.  Though I suppose this may change once 2VGA is released.  Also, the VGA version of 1 is quite a bit buggier (though most of these can be corrected with patches.)

RStormgull
Peasant Status

QFG3 Meant to Be

#68 Post by RStormgull » Thu May 24, 2007 4:46 pm

I personally enjoyed QFG3 but I'm not sure that it was originally meant to be the third game in the series. If I dig out my old QFG2 game, beat it, and wait after the end credits the message: You can now save your character to import into Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness! The desert moon turns red and some evil looking letters spell out Shadows of Darkness. I interpret that as either they weren't planning Wages of War at that time or they changed the title.

Either that or my memory is playing tricks on me again. I'll have to dig up my copy again... or bust out my Quest for Glory collection CD.

In an effort to at least say SOMETHING on topic: I really hated wandering the streets of Shapeir. I had one of those paper maps they distributed with the game, but it was still a pain in the neck.

haradan
Knight Status

#69 Post by haradan » Thu May 24, 2007 6:42 pm

I don't understand why people hate the pseudo 3D graphics of QFG5, it's like saying that the VGA graphics of QFG3 "ruined the QFG mood". It was a good enhancement, IMO.

What sucks about QFG5?

I'm tempted to say nothing at all, but I'll say:

QFG1 - Nothing at all!  :lol  Seriously, a near-perfect balance for the first game. Maybe too much freedom (the first time you play you don't really know what to do or where to go, but that changes after you complete the game for the first time).

QFG2 - Just a couple of things: the long wait between Air and Earth elementals and waiting for night in Raseir (almost nothing vs all the good things in this game).

QFG3 - A little bit too easy, the combat system is worse than that of QFG2 and, worst of all, the thief has nothing to do. I don't complain with the other two characters, but playing the thief is really boring in this game.

RStormgull wrote:
I'm not sure that it was originally meant to be the third game in the series.
Yep, you can be sure now, this game was an afterthought, the Coles felt the hero needed more experience before going to Mordavia.

Crowley9 wrote:
My only other beef is how easy it is to play a fighter and unintentionally end up becoming a paladin halfway through the game.
It's not so difficult to remain a fighter: don't swear the oath, don't heal the meerbat, give money to drummer only once (for points) and generally don't do good things, just fight, fight, fight! Keep your honor low, even if you still do some good things for points (like helping Yesufu).

QFG4 - Aside from bugs (obviously): more bugs. It DOES have bad programming, sometimes you can't see the domovoi or get the doll, things like that. Otherwise, great game. The combat system is better than that of QFG3 but I don't like it that much (C'mon, I've been maxing out my hero's skills for 3 games only to find out that what matters is my own reaction skills?).

QFG5 - My main concern is the fighting system, which makes defense useless. Oh and I hated it that after maxing out things like Comm, Parry and Dodge, or the Glide spell, they just disappear or got fused together. Also, too many characters from previous games, I mean, some were wonderful but they were just TOO many of them (I mean, Sam the beggar? C'mon!)

TheDevian
Peasant Status

#70 Post by TheDevian » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:55 am

Well I have played almost every Sierra game when they were new, except the last few due to moving out of my parents house after high school and collage and not having a computer for a while.
loved most of them.
a few things I have to say
first the 3rd game was originally unintended and threw together at the last min because they felt the player char was not ready for mordavia. and between that and the lack of prep time they were given for the 2 following, the last 3 games got rushed really bad. but this answers why the 3rd game was lacking so many things.
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed many aspects of the game (despite the bugs) but it was definitely geared tward the fighter class(s) and playing my main guy (the one i started first in hero quest) a magic using thief, I felt quite left out, being the two classes that had almost nothing to do. and then you have the fact that it felt as though they had intended it to be a talking head game and it asked for drivers for that kind of sound but never seemed to be there.
5 came out too late for me to get to play at the time other than the demo that came on my anthology disk, so i never got to play it all the way through so i cant truly comment on that one.
4 is still my favorite.
I loved the combat system in that one due to my love of vs fighter games and the option to turn the arcade combat off witch made it more roll play and less action. (to me thats a good thing) and allowed the chars stats and skills to decide who hit what and when, as opposed to any skill the player had. My skill as a player was to build up my guy the way I wanted and to figure out the puzzles in the game, not my personal dexterity and speed (especialy if you think about how glitchy the mouse cursor is in those games, i used to think it was because of the mouse ball being dirty, but i have a laser now and it still get stuck but only in these games.....)
but then almost all of the Sierra games will always have a special place in my mind

since we are being all nostalgic, its time to go find pacman!

soule
Peasant Status

#71 Post by soule » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:17 pm

QG2 has the best ending - you actually have a ceremony where people stood up to commend all your actions! You really felt heroic after the game. I would have wished QG3/4/5 to have the same ending.

QG3 is actually one of my favourites because of the grandeur.

The starting introduction actually reanimated the whole QG2 ending and redrawn of the sprites. That is very commendable.

The spell binding to the magic staff cutscene was also very grand and beautiful..much better than the QG5 one.  Also, the battle with the Leopardman mage was also very challenging... the psychedelic scene with the Liontaur god. The endgame design during the magic mirror cutscene was very artistic.

The backgrounds in the game were very colourful and nicely drawn. The game was animated very nicely. Erana's Peace in QG3 had the most calming music - my favourite Erana music.

The downside is that is a lot of underdeveloped potential in the game and the thief character has no subquests to speak.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

End-game Ceremony

#72 Post by Brainiac » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:07 am

soule wrote:QG2 has the best ending - you actually have a ceremony where people stood up to commend all your actions! You really felt heroic after the game. I would have wished QG3/4/5 to have the same ending.
Well, all of them kind of do.  QfG1 ended with the presentation of the title Hero of Spielburg (though no one speaks), QfG3 has most of your friends in Tarna thanking you for your aid and showing how you've changed things, QfG4 has all of Mordavia turning out to thank you for your fine work, and QfG5 has the coronation ceremony at the end (as well as the results of the Chief Thief contest).

soule
Peasant Status

#73 Post by soule » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:34 pm

Yeah, they all do..but no where as the scale in QG2.

QG2 actually has a music score for the chracters in the ending eg. Kattas, Zayisha, Sultan. It was just like an award ceremony. Most importantly, it summarised the entire game.

Best ending in a video game.

Shade
Peasant Status

#74 Post by Shade » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:37 pm

On the topic of the ending sequences, When I finished QFG5 I had a teeny little moment of "That's it?"  The cinematic with the Dragon of Doom was a nice touch.  I think the only item I really wanted added to the ending was a wedding between the hero and his fiance... whomever that ended up being.  It would have left things feeling a little more complete.  It sounds like such a minor gripe but this was the last game in the series and I was hoping for a better send off... of course, on the other hand, at least it didn't end with a surprise teleport.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#75 Post by Boogeyman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:12 am

Yeah, I would have LOVED to see the wedding of Devon and Nawar.