Multi-classing and combat

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

Multi-classing and combat

#1 Post by Crowley9 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:29 pm

While playing a fighter in the EGA version of QFG2 you could get rid of your shield and fight using only your sword. Of course that only made any sense if you also knew magic... Will this lovely detail be retained in the remake?

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

Re: Multi-classing and combat

#2 Post by ulmont » Mon May 21, 2007 8:47 pm

Crowley9 wrote:While playing a fighter in the EGA version of QFG2 you could get rid of your shield and fight using only your sword. Of course that only made any sense if you also knew magic... Will this lovely detail be retained in the remake?
And will the reverse feature be added (buying a sword if you are a non-fighter with the parry skill)?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Mon May 21, 2007 9:05 pm

Yes and no.

You can store your shield and fight with just a sword, casting magic with the other hand. It's a matter of preference...whether you like some additional magic tricks or more defensive abilities.

Since you have to trade in your old sword to get a new one, non-fighters cannot buy a sword. Not until QFG5 at least.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#4 Post by Lambonius » Tue May 22, 2007 2:44 am

Was there a marked difference in the power of Issur's sword versus the old sword?  I can't remember if one was specifically better or not.

Also, (and I'm sure this has probably been asked before) will the combat have keyboard shortcuts or will it be entirely mouse-based?  I personally always thought the purely mouse-based combat of QFG1VGA and QFG3 was the worst of the series.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Tue May 22, 2007 4:52 am

Naturally, or you wouldn't be paying 100 dinars for it. :)

There's definitely an order of base strength among the weapons in QFG2. There's also a weapon most people tend to overlook. :)

And combat is completely keyboard-driven in QFG2 (combat in QFG1VGA and QFG3 isn't purely mouse-based...I play it with the numeric keypad exclusively) as it has a wide range of actions to select from and fairly fast-paced play, so mouse control would be pretty useless.

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Crowley9 » Mon May 28, 2007 3:38 pm

Erpy wrote:There's definitely an order of base strength among the weapons in QFG2. There's also a weapon most people tend to overlook. :)
Hmm, the silver dagger you can steal?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Mon May 28, 2007 3:44 pm

Yup, its base strength is closer to the broad sword than to the normal dagger.

ejx982
Peasant Status

#8 Post by ejx982 » Tue May 29, 2007 5:23 am

It *would* be really nice of have an option where the fighter wouldn't equip his shield.  Ie, he wouldn't drop it, just leave it strapped to his back to let his left hand free to cast.  I always thought it was a cool idea to need 1 hand free for magic.

The other idea, being able to buy a sword as a thief/wizard would be cool, but I'd totally like idea #1

I always thought the silver dagger you stole should do more damage than standard ones.. say 10% too.. but that's my 2 cents

ejx982

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Tue May 29, 2007 3:42 pm

You don't "switch off" shield mode. You simply store the shield in your storage chest and you'll be able to utilise magic in battle.

And sorry, no, you won't be able to buy a sword as a non-fighter.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#10 Post by greensenshi » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:01 pm

Is this hinting that there will be a storage chest like there was in QFG3-4?

adeyke

#11 Post by adeyke » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:36 am

There will be one, yes.

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Jack Sawyer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:06 am

Erpy wrote:Yup, its base strength is closer to the broad sword than to the normal dagger.
What about Soulforge?  I remembered fiddling around with that when messign with the Editor in my copy of QFG2 and I vaguely recall you could wield it as a weapon (won't burst into flame, though sometimes I wish it did.) if you didn't have a dagger/sword.

I can also remember that if you dropped all your weapons you fought "unarmed" (but held a dagger - much less fatal than what happened if you did that in the text version of QFG1 hehe...) -  is this gone?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:45 am

You can't drop your last weapon, the game simply won't let you. You can't drop your sword either. (to avoid us having to animate a dagger/shield combo)

Soulforge has the power of a fine sword, but has a bonus against the earth elemental. Heh, not like any other weapon does any damage whatsoever, so you won't really notice the bonus that much.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#14 Post by Boogeyman » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:33 pm

Jack Sawyer wrote: I can also remember that if you dropped all your weapons you fought "unarmed" (but held a dagger - much less fatal than what happened if you did that in the text version of QFG1 hehe...) -  is this gone?
Also true of the VGA version(even if you're a Wizard with Flame Dart).

BTW, how come I was unable to access the forum last night?