The calendar in QFG2

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

antonyo
Royal Servant Status

The calendar in QFG2

#1 Post by antonyo » Sun May 27, 2007 2:54 pm

QFG2 has a very strict time limit, making getting 100 on all skills and spells rather challenging, there's something I always wondered about: What happen when you miss the depart of the caravan on day 16, will it be back on day 32? Also, what happen when you can't figure out how to kill an elemental for too many day, I know it will be there the next day, but what would happen if the fire elemental is still present when the air elemental arrives? Is it possible to delay the arrival of the caravan by leaving the elementals alive for a few more days or is it simply impossible to delay the game until you finally got 100 on all stats like you could in QFG1?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Sun May 27, 2007 3:12 pm

If you leave an elemental alive for longer than a few days, it'll grow huge and destroy the city, resulting in a game over. That's also the way it is here. So it's not possible to delay the caravan...it gets there at the start of day 17 and there's nothing the player can do about that.

Of course, with proper playing style, it's still possible to get 200 in most stats and still end up sleeping the days away. I've done it myself often.

Piotyr
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Piotyr » Sun May 27, 2007 4:48 pm

Throw allota rocks!

haradan
Knight Status

#4 Post by haradan » Mon May 28, 2007 8:44 am

As for the first question, if you go to sleep to the desert (the oasis) the night before the caravan departs and then spend the day out there killing monsters, in a picnic, or whatever, spend another night at the oasis and go to Shapeir on the dawn of day 17, the caravan will be right there waiting for you. I didn't try it on subsequent days, but I suppose the caravan sequence is active all days after day 16, so you could try to max your skills in the desert for a couple of days before taking the caravan.

BTW, I've always found raising the throwing skill in QFG2 a real pain in the butt, so I usually don't bother and then raise it in QFG3 where is very easy. Climbing is also near impossible to raise. And some spells it's not worth it as well (what do you want a 200 trigger spell for?).

For the AGDIs, will it be easier to raise throwing in the remake? It should be, IMHO.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Mon May 28, 2007 11:00 am

I think it is. Stat growth isn't something that's quick and easy to test, so beta testing might have some influence on the growth calibration. But for all it's worth, clicking rocks on the screen over and over is faster than alternating the "f3-enter-enter"-combination over and over again.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#6 Post by Paladinlover » Mon May 28, 2007 2:55 pm

No, it isn't that challenging at all. You just need a lot of pills to work out with Uhura and casting spells in the alleyways (or the desert if you want to be more law abiding.)

My only problem is that SOME skills either take an awful long time (such as throwing) or are downright impossible... such as climbing. In the case of throwing, one could go for the classic 'get a ton of rocks from the desert and throw them' or just use your daggers for that (it'll take longer since you don't carry that much and picking them up will take a lot of time in the long run).

All I could really ask for is just a way to increase the climbing skill without having to cheat. The rope doesn't seem to do anything and trying to climb the Griffin cliff is OK for a time, but when you reach a certain level of skill (far from the max, I fear) the game doesn't allow you anymore.

Still, I got game wizard! :D

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#7 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon May 28, 2007 3:19 pm

We've addressed that. Climbing will be max-able in the remake. In fact, it should be possible to max-out every skill by the end of the game.

As far as climbing skill goes, climbing the magic rope will get you anywhere up to 150. And climbing the Dervish's palm tree (which wasn't doable in the EGA version) will allow you to max it out to 200.

Though, if you don't maximize climbing prior to heading to Raseir, your only possibility of maxing it out will be by using one of the Djinn's wishes.

ejx982
Peasant Status

#8 Post by ejx982 » Tue May 29, 2007 5:29 am

I was able to maximize a fighter, to paladin and a wizard easily to 200, including the wizards spells.  You just need LOTS of pills, esp mana.  Take one, cast tons of spells.  For target spells, I casted them just in front of me to shorten the animation time.

The thief, I would just bring his climbing to 150, then wish for 200.  This was the easiest way.

In fact, I found the best way was to fight Uhrua, and just keep dodging, keep doing this until your stamina just runs out.  leave the city, then cast spells until you are done.  Start doing this from day 1, and you will easily max everything out.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#9 Post by Paladinlover » Wed May 30, 2007 11:34 pm

Ahh, thank you AGDs for addressing the climbing issue! ;)

Just going a bit off topic, I once thought that, in QFG 5, it was impossible to max out climbing... but then I discovered the palm tree next to the Dead parrot inn. Of course, the game description mentions 'skinning your knee' in the process, which makes me think marvels of the Hero's physical resilience. :lol

Till next time stay cool  :smokin