Long Term AGDI?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

cew-smoke
Peasant Status

Long Term AGDI?

#1 Post by cew-smoke » Wed May 30, 2007 4:44 am

This is kind of an idle curiosity question.  Obviously a lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into KQ1 VGA, KQ2+ VGA and of course the current monster of a game QFG2 VGA.  So. it leads me to wonder what the future will hold for AGDI.  I know its future is indirectly tied into the future of Himalaya Studios, so I guess I'm asking for a little prognostication.  What is the future for AGDI?

We can hope and guess that over the next year or so QFG2 VGA will make its way out into the world and obviously a long break is in order as well as spending some TLC time with Himalaya Studios.  Keeping that in mind, do you honestly see AGDI tackling any new projects down the road?  Or will a long deserved retirement be in order?  Are there any projects you considered or hoped to do someday?  Maybe something not so grand (read: insanely hard) as QFG?

Perhaps for the rest of us a dream thread of what could be.  I dream in VGA for such games as Colonel's Bequest or Conquest of Camelot.  Any others out there have an old favorite that could use a dusting off and given the old remake polish?  Not that any of them are realistic, but hey I did say dream didn't I?

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#2 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Wed May 30, 2007 5:12 pm

Didn't they say they are working on other things (beside QFG2VGA) some time ago? Probably not anything big like QFG2, but possibly a simpler remake?

haradan
Knight Status

#3 Post by haradan » Wed May 30, 2007 6:59 pm

After QFG2, any game would definitely be simpler and easier to remake. I also dream of a VGA Camelot (not that it desperately needs a remake, mind you, it's also beautiful in EGA).

The Colonel's Bequest was taken by these guys, although I don't know if work is still in progress.

As for AGDI, if they decided to call it a day after QFG2 I would still be forever grateful for giving us 3 wonderful and professional remakes (I have no doubts about QFG2) and if they decided to continue, then I would gladly wait another 7 years for their next remake.

Piotyr
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Piotyr » Thu May 31, 2007 11:01 am

Last I heard this will be their last remake and they will be focusing on real work. Tho that may have changed.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:51 pm

If they get a chance to make another one, that'd be super.  If the members move to the next level and start developing their own games full time, that's awesome too.

There are other groups out there who've taken a cue from AGDI, and I hope more will continue to make "remakes" as it's great fun and amazingly nostalgic.

Bt

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Alanor. » Thu May 31, 2007 7:43 pm

So will these AGDI original games be freewares like the remakes or...

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu May 31, 2007 8:03 pm

Any original games the people of AGDI make will be under Himalaya Studios not AGDI, like Al Emmo. And they won't be freeware.

antonyo
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by antonyo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:37 am

I highly doubt they will make another remake now that Himalaya Studios finally released its first commercial game, at least, not anytime soon. Not only they probably have a lots of ideas for commercial games they can't wait to start working on, but they can't allow themselves to delay further release. It's very unlike, say, having to finish an essay to give it to the teacher in time. There are no visible deadline in business, they'll have to take initiatives, work on their next project, keep on building a reputation, gain some sort of security to land on in case one of their future project is a financial failure, they will have to juggle between designing, making, signing deals, making promotion and planning several step ahead. You do not build a business on procrastination and pushing back to tomorrow what could and should be done today.

Even if we say that a simple remake not as huge as QFG2VGA wouldn't take long or that after QFG2VGA and Al Emmo they are surely skilled enough to work much faster than before, I think even if they could produce a remake in 6 months it would still be 6 months too many in the business world, 6 months where they could have worked hard on their next original project. I think they already wish QFG2VGA could be already done so they could concentrate at 100% into Himalaya Studios and their next project.

Maybe, I say maybe, in several years from now, when they will have a well established business, a solid reputation and a well earned security, maybe this time they will be able to blow some steam, relax and work on a side project part time, in the memories of the good old days where they were only making Sierra remakes, but I doubt this time will happen anytime soon.

2 things for sure:
1) They will have made 3 remakes and we should be infinitely grateful for that.
2) Their efforts planted a IA seed that is now growing and which will now carry the Sierra remake torch for a while, and with a bit of luck, by the time IA too get tired of remake and finally want to work non-stop on original projects, they too will have inspired someone else to carry the Sierra remakes torch.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#9 Post by Schloss Ritter » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:50 am

This reminds me to plug my thread listing many current, past, and potential (not yet started) remakes out there by various companies and groups: http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11481