Progress Update Thread (formerly known as quest for glory 2)

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

garden
Peasant Status

Progress Update Thread (formerly known as quest for glory 2)

#1 Post by garden » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:32 pm

how is the progress goign on the game? I love that some many people are working hard on this game.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#2 Post by gamecreator » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:21 pm

Please read some of the other threads.  This question comes up a lot.  Thanks.

Slarty Bardfast
Royal Servant Status

QFG2 Release

#3 Post by Slarty Bardfast » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:20 pm

I think it will only come out when everyone has accepted the fact that it will be ready when it's ready.  "are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet" isn't going to make the game be finished any faster.  It's being tested so I think thats a good sign.

While you wait for QFG2 to come out. Why not view these entertaining uhmm "morsels":

Here's Darth Vader being a smart ass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5blbv4WFriM

And here's Old Gregg (don't worry if you watch in order, it does eventually get funny. Stick it out Boy Sonny Jim Laddy Boy!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I4BcyGe4tI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLhApuXGoPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he70x3xFk-k

TribeHasSpoken
Peasant Status

#4 Post by TribeHasSpoken » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:46 pm

The whole "are we there yet" thing would be tolerable on its own, but when you combine it with the "I'll be obnoxious and insulting in the hope it will get me the game I want faster" people, it gets a bet much.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#5 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:58 pm

Personally, I don't think Garden was being obnoxious. It was a simple question asking about progress. A casual visitor to the website might come to the forums looking for updates due to no recent news on the main page. A casual visitor might not know how to search the forums or want to spend time looking through the different threads.

Instead of being overly defensive, a nicer approach might be to point them to a thread that contains the information they are looking for.

Welcome to the forums, Garden! :)

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Alanor. » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:32 pm

Well actually I think threads like this really tells on the popularity of this remake. People are actually excited and eager about its release. Cheers to QFG 2 VGA game creaters to work harder and atleast decide the month of its release soon for it's QFG2VGA Fans.
Last edited by Alanor. on Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TribeHasSpoken
Peasant Status

#7 Post by TribeHasSpoken » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:25 am

I definitely wasn't talking about Garden, though I can absolutely see how it looked like I was. I am so sorry, Garden, I was careless. I actually meant the people whose threads have recently had to be locked.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:21 am

Yeah, the posts in the game making forum were out of line which is why we locked them. Especially since they imply that it's okay to expect from us that we work on the game in every spare minute we have, but it's not okay from us to expect a new visitor to spend one or two minutes browsing the forum to see if his question was already answered.

As for progress, we're still moving along daily. Here are a couple of examples of every-day stuff we're working on:
-In alley screen 361, position 1233: LOOKing at the door says that it's open, but the graphic shows that it's closed.

- If you kill a scorpion (or possibly any monster) from afar in the desert with spells/projectiles, and it dies close to the bottom edge, sometimes it creates a non-walkable area that stretches off the screen's bottom edge. If the dead monster is positioned very low on the screen, then sometimes clicking the HAND to search its body will cause the hero to run over, duck, search the body... and as soon as he stands, instead of running back to his original position, he runs south off the bottom screen edge.

- When killing any monster with a projectile/spell in the open desert, it's death cry sound should play.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#9 Post by gamecreator » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:17 pm

I always love to see these behind-the-scenes posts.  Thanks Erpy.

Seems the first bug is a result of not updating a variable at the appropriate time.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:24 pm

No, the function matching descriptions with the appropriate sprite slot number simply returned the wrong id, resulting in the wrong description.

Katta Master
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Katta Master » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:49 am

It's true, even the most well meant "how's it all progressing / when will it be released", can be mis-interpreted as being a rude and pushy comment.

As you guys must be constantly bombarded with the same questions....over and over.

and to top it off, you have all the people who log on, want to have a bit of fun, trying to be witty etc...  

Still even just having that small update from erpy was interesting.

I think that's what most people who drop by are looking for.....info mostly

The price you pay for having a community, in a sense.

Just try not to be too harsh with the responses.

Keep up the good work....i know your hard at it !

:)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#12 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:44 pm

Just try not to be too harsh with the responses.
All I can say is that rudeness begets rudeness. Some newbies come here with an attitude, acting like they are owed an update simply because they demand one. Never mind the fact that many long-time fans have also been waiting the same amount of time (if not even longer) for the game's release.  And if these posters don't get what they want, then they believe they're justified in telling us how to run the show and throwing out any kinds of insults they can think up.  It's surprising then, that when such posters are dealt with in an equally abrupt manner, they take offense to it. If people can't handle the same level of abruptness that they're willing to dish out, then they really ought to think twice before making that post.

Pointing out the number of years that the game has been in production really doesn't motivate anyone behind the scenes. In fact, it's considered incredibly annoying and very disrespectful to come onto someone's forum (which is paid for by us and provided as a service to fans) behaving in such a manner. As I've mentioned, the delays on this game are causing some financial issues and also prevent us from having another form of income since they take so much time to create. In the end, we'll get nothing from working six or so years on this release, but we're still determined to finish it as quickly as possible, because that is what we've promised fans that we will do.

So to everyone who has been patient and supportive, thanks, it's appreciated. And to everyone who's acted like a smartass, you can thank your collective de-motivation tactics for contributing to the delays.

In regards to threads like this one, I can appreciate that people have general curiosity and want to know the latest progress on the game. The entire General forum is pretty much filled with these posts and a good indication of the current status, can be deduced from taking a moment to read a few threads.  So in order to prevent over-cluttering the forum with 20 posts on the same topic, it's usually good practice to lock these discussions and divert the conversation to a single thread.

By the way, the to-do list is down to approximately 50 issues now, which we are currently working through.

Katta Master
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Katta Master » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:22 pm

Some newbies come here with an attitude, acting like they are owed an update simply because they demand one.
Well I've been guilty of that in the past....most certainly!

Doesn't mean i'm going to get one though.. (an update!)  ;)

But i hope you agree that I've toned it down on that front.

All I can say is that rudeness begets rudeness.
Well if that's true... does being polite beget politeness ?

I don't think either of them are right....i think if you set a standard, stick to it,
that's what separates you from the rest of the pond scum. Class.
By the way, the to-do list is down to approximately 50 issues now, which we are currently working through.
:rollin

Yipeeeee !!!!!!

Respect!

;)

benjipenguin
Peasant Status

#14 Post by benjipenguin » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:50 am

Just as a suggestion to cut down on these, maybe a mod can make a Sticky "QFG2: Is it done yet?" (or otherwise descriptive title) post describing just what AGD2 said, and why it's not good to keep asking this. That way, when people stop by and are thinking of asking this question, it's much more likely they'll read that thread and find out just what you guys have to keep repeating. I know it shouldn't be necessary, but some of the fans seem to be making it obvious that it is.  

And I know the AGDs have heard it so many times, but just to let you know, you're all amazing for putting forth your time, effort, and dedication to a FREE project for us fans out of the goodness of your hearts :D   Thank you SO much, you've fulfilled my dreams :P

twiztidbudsmoker
Peasant Status

#15 Post by twiztidbudsmoker » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:51 pm

wow, welcome to the internet crybabies  :cry  seriously, how do you guys get by in life if you cant ignore stuff people say on the internet? what you guys are talking about happens in every forum on the internet, deal with it.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#16 Post by Erpy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:02 pm

wow, welcome to the internet crybabies    seriously, how do you guys get by in life if you cant ignore stuff people say on the internet?
Oh, I still get by quite well in life, even without an exaggerated tolerance threshold for random insults. You'd be surprised to see how little use there is for such a threshold in real life where people mostly don't walk up to others they don't even know in order to tell them how much they suck. I guess it really takes anonimity for lots of people to gain the courage to let their prickish side take over.
what you guys are talking about happens in every forum on the internet, deal with it.
Eh, we deal with it. We just don't put up with it...that flames are tossed around on every forum on the internet doesn't mean it's acceptable and that it's something that should be put up with...it just means many people can't handle an environment without social control in a responsable way.

That said, it's always easier to say these kinds of things when you're not on the receiving end of people with an attitude issue.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#17 Post by gamecreator » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:17 pm

You guys give idiots far too much credit.

twiztidbudsmoker
Peasant Status

#18 Post by twiztidbudsmoker » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:37 pm

you guys do a very good job moderating, props on the site, its come a long way. I think everyone is just anxious for a qfg fix and your the only ones that can give it to them.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#19 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:29 pm

seriously, how do you guys get by in life if you cant ignore stuff people say on the internet?
Apparently, 'ignoring' people on the Internet is exactly what causes them to  believe that their flames are justified.  They feel like they're being ignored because updates aren't being given.  It's one thing to brush off dummies and not be affected by their flames, but it's another matter entirely if said dummies are masquerading as genuine fans seeking an update.  We do attempt to keep the fan-base happy with information whenever possible, but it's difficult to do that and work on the game simultaneously. I know people will think "But surely taking 5 minutes to update the site can't be THAT difficult?" However,  it really is something that needs to be planned, and takes more like 30 minutes to think of something worth writing, type it up, and then post it. Motivation also waxes and wanes on a project like this. Making an update may sound like a trivial matter, but taking the time out to actually make one can totally break your momentum if you're on a roll.   Everyone on the development team is extremely overworked at the moment and things like updates are a low priority, let alone the fact that we don't have a whole lot to report anyway. After 6 years, we just want to get the game out. I'm having to stay up till 7AM nearly every morning (it's 7:22AM here now) working on finishing stuff for QFG2VGA and Al Emmo. It's draining, so I have no longer have any tolerance for idiots. Dealing with them in a polite manner takes up far too much valuable brain processing power (not to mention time), which is required for more important tasks.

So you can probably imagine why it's an even bigger waste of time to answer the same question 20 times for flamers or trolls who only register with the intention trying to get a rise out of you.  It may seem logical to lock their posts and ban them outright, but when it happens collectively over weeks and months, it starts becoming something similar to a mosquito buzzing around your ear at night while you're trying to sleep. Just imagine that QFG2VGA represents sleep, and these dummies represent mosquitoes and you'll get the idea.  I don't know anyone who's polite to mosquitoes that keep them awake all night, so I'm not too concerned with appearing classy or whatnot to anonymous internet jerks.  It feels good to swat that annoying mosquito, just like it feels good to treat dummies in a manner in which they deserve to be treated.  

I don't think it takes much to show some common courteously when they'll be getting a free game to play from all the hard work and effort being put into this project (and yes, they will still play it when it's released).  But if we can't expect that much from them, then they certainly shouldn't expect the same in return from us.

DrLove862
Peasant Status

#20 Post by DrLove862 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:22 pm

I don't think you need to justify to anybody why you might be rude to somebody who is annoying you about the release date. You're creating something for free for us! I've never really posted on the forums, but I've been waiting for quite some time (must have been since my sophomore year of high school and now I'm going into my third year of college), and I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate all the time and effort you're putting in.

garden
Peasant Status

thanks for the update about the prgress

#21 Post by garden » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:22 am

thansk for giving me and update about the progress I only check evry three months. I will check again in aug.

oriel
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by oriel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:48 am

Erpy,

I'd personally would like to read more about the technical updates you posted above (being a computer science major), is there any way to get more of these feedbacks?

Oriel

gamecreator
Knight Status

#23 Post by gamecreator » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:32 pm

I would too, considering I go home from work to program my game but I don't think Erpy (or the team) are regularly releasing those.  There was one other thread I read which had a neat one about monsters not appearing when they were supposed to but I don't know which thread that was in.

Edit: Never mind.  Found it: here.  See Erpy's post a few posts down.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#24 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:49 pm

Here are a few more.  Hopefully these indicate the randomness of the remaining bugs and why it's sometimes difficult and time-consuming to trace and solve elusive issues.  Things which aren't critical to finishing the game, but still need to be found and dealt with in order to release a product which is stable enough that it won't crash when players try to do all those additional things that aren't necessary to win the game.  We don't want any "Oops! You tried something we didn't think of!" bugs in our remake. And in fact, we've scripted some scenarios for a few situations which resulted in that error message in the SCI version (as well as some other parts that resulted in freezes and other odd glitches due to Sierra's original programmers not taking certain 'what if the player did this' type things into consideration).

Here are a few more bugs that are currently being addressed, or have recently been fixed:

-Sometimes when climbing the magic rope to get the bellows down, the guard catches you and says, "what are you doing there?" but the hero doesn't fall down. He then continues to give his theft/magic warning line while the hero is still on the rope (providing no opportunity to make an excuse). After this 2nd line, the hero falls and the guard will warn him again. It should be fixed so that after the guard's "What are you doing there?" line, the hero will ALWAYS fall from the magic rope.

-Another time, I climbed the rope, took the bellows and then a guard entered and gave me the warning. But the hero didn't fall down. The guard then left and I was stuck on the rope. Clicking the WALK icon didn't work and the GUIs all remained off. I could still move up and down with the arrow keys, though.

-There seems to be a few bugs when calming/dazzling multiple jackalmen when they are chasing you in the open desert. For example, I made it so 3 of them were chasing me. I immediately cast Dazzle so that they froze in a formation where all 3 jackals were arranged standing neatly in a single-file row, one behind each other.  No matter which jackal I cast Flame Dart at (making contact and dealing damage), it was always the last jackal that became un-Dazzled and started walking toward me, while the other two still remained frozen.  Rather, only the jackal that gets injured should be the one to unfreeze.

-During the EOF fight, use a box-out transition after hero takes his sword to better cover room perspective switch.  Also, after Issur gives you your rank, the screen should turn black by box-out transition here too.

-In one of the desert screens (room27) with a cliff wall, a mirage appeared, but it was still solid (I couldn't walk through it. The hero walked around it) and it didn't disappear when the hero came in close proximity.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#25 Post by Erpy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:59 pm

A few more:
- Clicking any generic inventory item (i.e. blackbird, mirror etc.) on Khaveen while he's in bed (break-in scene) does not have any message.

-When answering Aziza's questions (room79) to enter her house for the first time; when the parser GUI appears, it's possible to move the mouse to the top of the screen and access the icon bar and then bring up other GUIs like the Magic menu and Inventory screen. While Aziza's answers GUI is on, it shouldn't be possible to make the icon bar appear.

-At the EOF, while shackled to the wall, clicking the walk icon makes the hero character re-appear so that there are two heros standing in the screen. The same happens if you click the Run or Sneak buttons on the Special Actions GUI.

-In EOF, after the members enter at the end, one of the Shapeirian guards faces north. He should remain facing east.