Games like quest for glory?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

AdvenAddict
Peasant Status

#26 Post by AdvenAddict » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:59 am

The adventure games that I enjoyed the most during different time periods have been Quest for glory 1 to 4 (time period 1989-1995), Fallout 1 and 2 in 1997-1998 and then Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, Lionheart and Star Wars Kotor 1 and 2.

Even though these games are compressed into the adventure genre they are totally different in so many facets. IMO Fallout 1 and 2 are probably the closest to Quest for Glory.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#27 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:12 am

woot! Fallout for the win bro. I also played Icewind dale and BG. never got into Starwars though it was before my time.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#28 Post by DonQuixote » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:26 pm

anyone ever get into the Myst games?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

MYST

#29 Post by Brainiac » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:11 am

DonQuixote wrote:anyone ever get into the Myst games?
<raises hand>

Cyan Worlds' MMOG based in the Myst mythos, Uru Live, is back up and running too, through GameTap.
Last edited by Brainiac on Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#30 Post by AGP » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:16 am

"Never got into Starwars though it was before my time."

Of all those games he mentioned, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 are the newest.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#31 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:10 am

sure. and LSL MCL is new as well but the era is before me. Just like Starwars is 15 years before my birth.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#32 Post by Lambonius » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:09 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:sure. and LSL MCL is new as well but the era is before me. Just like Starwars is 15 years before my birth.
Wow you ARE a young'un if you were born in 1992 (1977+15.) ;)  Still, I fail to understand the value of that argument.  Technically, Quest for Glory is before your time as well, but you are into that, no?  And comparing Knights of the Old Republic to LSL MCL is an insult to KOTOR fans everywhere!  ;)  KOTOR is a brilliant game whereas LSL MCL is a steaming pile that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.  Besides, if we are all nerdy enough to be fawning over 20 year old adventure games on internet forums, we should certainly be nerdy enough to enjoy the old Star Wars films (I won't speak of the new ones; if those are your only exposure to Star Wars then I completely understand your lack of interest.)  :p

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#33 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:01 pm

I enjoyed the old star wars films but the new ones are a disgrace. The entire second trilogy is like The Matrix 3. Atleast quality QFG games were being pumped out after I was. LSL however is barely the case and even so were directed to people older than I am now. Quest for Glory was an everybody type of game and the last one was released when I was 7 so I was obviously most into those. As fantastic as star wars is it is over rated regardless. Another part of the space fad if you would, it's to movies what the yo yo is to kids. Great for its time but has clearly aged.

Slarty Bardfast
Royal Servant Status

BLASPHEMER!

#34 Post by Slarty Bardfast » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:14 pm

WHAT?! You young whippersnappers and your disrespectful comments! ARRGHHH!! The "space fad" was STARTED by star wars! Well, it was made good at least. I dunno if you've ever seen "Dark Star" lol.  You were born in a time where special effects are taken for granted. Some of the work in the originals was done completely from scratch etc. New idea's and methods were created and some are probably still used today because of it.  Next your going to tell us that Army Of Darkness was a waste of time. Psshhaw!  :D

Slarty Bardfast
Royal Servant Status

Please note

#35 Post by Slarty Bardfast » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:15 pm

All in good fun btw  :p

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#36 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:35 pm

Army of Darkness was very entertaining. Bruce Campbell is my god.

Slarty Bardfast
Royal Servant Status

Allllrighhhtttttt!

#37 Post by Slarty Bardfast » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:38 pm

"Okay then. That's it."

Excellent. On another note, I think I'm going to see "Evil Dead: The Musical" in Toronto next month.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#38 Post by Ghost_Rider » Mon May 14, 2007 3:34 am

Piotyr wrote:
Ghost_Rider wrote:One game that I really like is "Fable: The Lost Chapters"

It is not exactly like Quest for Glory, but there are a number of similarities.  You get to determine which type of character you want to become by making choices in the game, instead of picking a character type a the very beginning.  I believe it was released in 2005, and it's graphics and sound are pretty good.  If you're interested, you can check it out here
Fable is very short and fell WELL short of what it promised, it also has very small linar paths(Think everythings a boxed in hallway) and the good and evil system is pretty pointless(You can change your alignment very easily by either slaughtering guards for about 10 mins or being nice for about 20). It is also extremely easy and has NO puzzles.
If you are talking about the original Fable, I would somewhat agree.  "The Lost Chapters" version is certainly not short in terms of hours required to finish the game.  You could say that QFG games are short as well if you simply rush through them, avoid building up your skills, avoid talking to people.  But then what's the point?  Fable is indeed more heavy on the action/adventure side than it is on the puzzle side, but there is still a fair amount of thinking and figuring things out involved.

Adventure_Knight
Royal Servant Status

#39 Post by Adventure_Knight » Mon May 14, 2007 5:56 pm

Morrowind (NOT Oblivion) has some puzzle based quests, but they pop up late on the game.

cew-smoke
Peasant Status

#40 Post by cew-smoke » Fri May 18, 2007 3:34 am

Okay, this game is nothing at all like Quest for Glory.  However, I'll bring it up anyway just in case you never had the chance to play it.  It is a horror/RPG lite/3D/adventure game all in one.  It was called Realms of the Haunting by Interplay.  It had fmv cutscenes and the actors were surprisingly not half bad.  I bring it up because it was one of the few games that came along that sucked me in the way some of the old adventure games used to.

If you're bored and need to try something fun and different try digging it up sometime.  Here is a link to an unofficial site that has a link to download the substantial demo.

http://www.realmsofthehaunting.com/

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#41 Post by Crowley9 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:26 pm

Realms of the Haunting is a great game. I wasn't all that surprised to learn that the main designer was Tony Crowther, the man behind Captive.

One game which I find at least somewhat similar in the good aspects to Quest for Glory is Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Although you don't improve your skills and attributes through use of them, the game doesn't have the usual experience levels either. By accomplishing tasks you get experience points which you can spend on improving stats. That's another beauty of the game: you don't get experience just from killing random enemies. A so-called computer role-playing game which doesn't have experience points which mysteriously raise some kind of levels which mysteriously raise your hitpoints is always a good thing in my book.

guenthar
Peasant Status

#42 Post by guenthar » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:00 am

A game that is like QFG is Bonez Adventures which is a 3D adventure/RPG that is like Indiana Jones in story and setting and like QFG is gameplay.

You can buy it here:
http://www.bonez-adventures.com

fallemarg
Peasant Status

Good games like QFG

#43 Post by fallemarg » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:12 am

Hello, first post, repeat visitor of AGDInteractive.  I know the games I am going to suggest aren't exactly like QFG, but they are adventure games and very fun to boot.  The new Sam and Max Season One is a very funny adventure games.  I recommend them to anyone interested!

RStormgull
Peasant Status

#44 Post by RStormgull » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:39 am

Not so much comedy in this one, but I still recommend Planescape: Torment to anyone who enjoyed QFG and Baldurs Gate. If that's up your alley, you might try and dig up Dark Sun: The Shattered Lands from the depths of oblivion. You'll need Dosbox to run that one.

If you're up for some quality dungeon crawling, check the Wizardry series or Might and Magic (I recommend World of Xeen if you're looking for obscene amounts of playtime). I apologize if these are a bit dated, they're the games I grew up with. If you want a more specific timeframe to date me with, I learned to read by playing Kings Quest 1.

DrLove862
Peasant Status

#45 Post by DrLove862 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:31 pm

I wouldn't recommend Baldur's Gate. That was my brother's "gateway drug." He started with that, then he moved to Diablo, and now WoW. Before Baldur's Gate, he had only played QFG and KQ, and he had played those normally. However, with the start of Baldur's Gate, he played obsessively and started losing sleep, gaining pounds, and losing hair. He once had a great looking girlfriend, and now he's invisible to girls. It's a shame.

I have never encountered anything like QFG, and I've never heard of any game that comes close to it. It is one of a kind.

RStormgull
Peasant Status

#46 Post by RStormgull » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:19 pm

So uh... are you saying that QFG turns you into some kind of  :hat whereas Baldurs Gate makes you a 8o ?

DrLove862
Peasant Status

#47 Post by DrLove862 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:01 pm

Yeah pretty much. Then again, not everybody is my brother, his situation might have been unique.

Bigfan
Peasant Status

#48 Post by Bigfan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:49 pm

I wouldn't recommend Baldur's Gate. That was my brother's "gateway drug." He started with that, then he moved to Diablo, and now WoW. Before Baldur's Gate, he had only played QFG and KQ, and he had played those normally. However, with the start of Baldur's Gate, he played obsessively and started losing sleep, gaining pounds, and losing hair. He once had a great looking girlfriend, and now he's invisible to girls. It's a shame.
Ridiculous.  I've played every one of the aforementioned games, and though I'm slightly overweight, I am happily married, I am beginning law school in the fall, and I have a full head of hair.  With the exception of Diablo, my wife has also played every one of these games.  She is also beginning law school next year.  Video games haven't damaged us.

Baldur's Gate (and now WoW) have not made me into an anti-social Gollum-style gamer.  Hell, remember some years back, how some kid in Korea died after a marathon Starcraft tournament?  Or remember even farther back in history, when Mortal Kombat was blamed for violence amongst children?  Or when, of all things, Mario was considered too violent?  Hell, even Pong was accused of reducing social interaction.

Video games are not some sort of drug, and it's ridiculous to treat them as such.  The media overplays reports of video game addiction to the point where video games can become the scapegoat for any problems one might have in life.  Obsession can come easily to certain personalities, but those are by far the minority, and video games are no easier to obsess over than any other hobby (or job, for that matter; how many would describe themselves as "workaholics"?).  However, it has gotten to the point where, if a person commits suicide and EverQuest is found on his computer, it must have been the game's fault.  If someone goes on a violent rampage and kills dozens of people and it is hinted that he may have played Counter Strike at some time in the past (perhaps even years before), then he was obviously using the game to train for violence.  Your brother played Baldur's Gate and started losing sleep, gaining weight, going bald, and stopped showing interest in women?  It is unfortunate, I'll grant you that, and I hope he sorts out whatever problems he has that are causing his deterioration: but it is not the video games.  Indeed, "video game addiction" is a myth.  A retreat into video games is often indicative of significant mental or social problems, and is merely another symptom of a greater disease.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#49 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:14 pm

Video Game Addiction is NOT a myth.

There ARE people addicted to them.  A physical and mental compulsion to play them at disregard to personal health and well-being.

Not everyone CAN get addicted to them, and it's absurd to think it's a WIDESPREAD problem, but it does happen.

Bt

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

#50 Post by ulmont » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:48 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:A physical and mental compulsion to play them at disregard to personal health and well-being.
False.  Psychological dependence, perhaps.  Physical withdrawal symptoms comparable to physically addicting drugs, no.

-Richard Campbell.