QFG5 question for AGD team

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#26 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:39 am

I think the Coles may be willing to create an expansion, if all of you would shut up and create a petition.

Why would you want a EGA remake to an already top of the line old school adventure? If you people feel so strongly about this, they do have a website. Go talk to them about it.
I think an expansion would be ok, but there is the question of money.

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#27 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:40 am

Deleted
Last edited by Ibanezrg82 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#28 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:02 am

Unfortunately, that decision isn't in the Coles' hands.  The rights to the Quest for Glory series belong to Vivendi, and I'll bet my leather belt that any fan petition for a Quest for Glory 5 expansion pack would fall on deaf ears. Adventure games are not considered viable for big companies like Vivendi anymore. And expansion packs generate even less revenue for them than a new game, yet they cost almost as much money to produce.

Why would they want to put several million dollars into making a QFG5 expansion pack (for a game that doesn't even run properly on Windows XP anymore without an unofficial patch and is nearly 10 years old), when they could make 50 times more money by investing the same resources into, say, the next Half Life game?

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#29 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:44 pm

I will say on a little off-topic note, Vivendi has nothing to do with Half-Life anymore. Valve Software pulled out of Vivendi and they retail and publish their own games now.

You may continue.

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#30 Post by MagusRogue » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:37 pm

Bout the biggest thing that bothers me bout QG5 is that they tease ya at the end by letting you save your character for a possible sequel.... Would be nice to see something, or at least them write in a definate end, instead of teasing you with a save file for a game that's never going to come out.

MusicallyInspired

#31 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:40 pm

Can you use a character save from a later game on an earlier game in QFG?

greensenshi
Knight Status

#32 Post by greensenshi » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:55 pm

No, you cannot.  If you attempt to use a saved character file from say, QFG 5 on importing into QFG 2, the game says it is not a recognized save file.

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#33 Post by MagusRogue » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:28 pm

See what I mean?

Now I wish there was something we could do with those QGF5 files...

MusicallyInspired

#34 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:44 pm

Heh, maybe it should be a secret egg in QFG2VGA that you can use those QFG5 saves in it. That would probably take a lot longer to implement, though. Cool thought, though.

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#35 Post by Billetwound » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:50 pm

I think it was QFG4 that when you beat it and saved your character that you could replay the game and import that character right back into it and i even think that you kept close to the skills you had.  maybe you can do the same with 5 after you beat it

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Imports

#36 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:15 pm

Billetwound is correct; both QFG4 and QFG5 allow reimportation of saves from the end of the game.  However, the only reasons the import feature was kept in QfG5 were supposedly nostalgia and possible use in the multiplayer expansion that never materialized.

trezy
Peasant Status

#37 Post by trezy » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:37 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:I will say on a little off-topic note, Vivendi has nothing to do with Half-Life anymore. Valve Software pulled out of Vivendi and they retail and publish their own games now.

You may continue.
I know this is still off topic but I'd just like to correct you if I may that I believe the Half-Life francise is now published by EA, or at least distributed by EA.  I am holding a box in my hand and it has the big EA logo security inclosed thinger on the bottom, but doesn't say EA anywhere else.  I believe there was a press release about it.

Now back on Topic.
I would love to see the QFG series continued by the Coles and I know they want to do it, but we have to wait and see if Vivendi would ever give up the rights.

Edit: Wow that was older then I thought, how the years fly.  Anyways heres the links for both the EA + Valve annoucment and the Valve - Vivendi/Sierra On-Line.

Apparently it started cause SOL was distributing HL to Cyber Cafes without permission or something like that.  Google it.

http://info.ea.com/news/pr/pr651.htm
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php ... ews&id=413

MusicallyInspired

#38 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:05 am

Never saw that. I think that's only for international releases, though, as all the boxes I've seen have no EA symbol anywhere on them (including the ones that press release mentioned; Half Life 2 GOTY, and Counter Strike Source). My Half-Life 2 Episode 1 box just says Valve Software and nothing else. Maybe for North America only they publish it themselves?

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#39 Post by Music Head » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:25 am

Electronic Arts announced on July 18, 2005 that they would be teaming up with Valve in a multi-year deal to distribute their games, replacing Vivendi Universal from then onwards.

TribeHasSpoken
Peasant Status

#40 Post by TribeHasSpoken » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:50 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:Heh, maybe it should be a secret egg in QFG2VGA that you can use those QFG5 saves in it. That would probably take a lot longer to implement, though. Cool thought, though.
I think it would be more fun if there was some sort of easter egg if you tried to import your Al Emmo completion file.

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#41 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:45 am

Why would you want to play an earlier Qfglory game with later stats? The game was easy anyways.
I have to play Trial by Fire on hard to get a kick out of it, hell all of them. Qfglory1 ega doesn't have a diffuculty setting, so just crank up the speed. The puzzles are just as hard, the combat is not on high speed.

TribeHasSpoken
Peasant Status

#42 Post by TribeHasSpoken » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:09 am

It's got nothing to do with difficulty. It's for the thrill and nostalgia of getting to import your character from the last Quest for Glory game into a newly-released Quest for Glory game one last time.

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#43 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:03 am

If you want to get total fun out of all QFG games, start from scratch, No imports with any game. I you want to import, play Paladin, from the start.
Paladin has the ultimate story, but don't import any other.
Mage is an OK import, but lacking. Fighter and Thief suck with import.

When you import you create a cheat code sometimes.
Stats topped off in a previous game create fun problems.
The combat system is pretty much intended for those who a newcomers.
Every combat cycle should be like QFG1 or 2 on "Start a New Hero."

"Trust me, I am your friend. Look into my eyes and trust me."

QFG5 came in good with that problem. All you have to do is turn up the difficulty.