in qfg2VGA, can we use the writing system ?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

qwweee
Peasant Status

in qfg2VGA, can we use the writing system ?

#1 Post by qwweee » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:03 pm

i know you dont change only the graphics, also the gameplay.
will you keep the writing command system? (something like before we start a game we can check a box that let us use that system in the entire game instead of the QFG1VGA system).

adeyke

#2 Post by adeyke » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:17 pm

If you mean being able to type, for example, "look at sign" instead of clicking the eye on the sign, no.  That would be way too much effort for way too little gain, especially since most people wouldn't use that feature at all

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#3 Post by Fribbi » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:11 pm

Will AGDI update King Quest 1 and 2 with a new logo when Quest for glory 2 when it will be finished or will it just remain with the old Tierra logo? Just wondering about it, nothing else. :)
Last edited by Fribbi on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#4 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:12 pm

They'll be updated at some point. Too much else to worry about right now, though. :)

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#5 Post by Fribbi » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:20 pm

Can you guess when  will QFG2  be finally ready for download? There is only 6 months left of this year. And AGD2 said it will be finished in this year.  Time flyes fast isn't? So will it be after 6 or 5 or 4 or 3 or 2 or 1 month. Sorry about that boring question.

When you know when it will be ready it could be good idea putting a counting timer on the front page wich will count how many days and time are left until the release. ;)

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#6 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:26 pm

Yep, I could guess. But I won't...  :evil

Bugs are continuously being crossed off the list. New bugs are still being added, but they are getting to be fewer and fewer, so headway is being made.

Keep in mind that after we are done bug hunting, we are going to turn the game over to beta testers to bug hunt on as well. They are liable to find a whole lot of things we didn't.

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Jack Sawyer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:42 am

Fribbi wrote:Can you guess when  will QFG2  be finally ready for download? There is only 6 months left of this year. And AGD2 said it will be finished in this year.  Time flyes fast isn't? So will it be after 6 or 5 or 4 or 3 or 2 or 1 month. Sorry about that boring question.
I think they may forgive you, its more politely phrased than alot of other people.

Howver, I think you're expecting too much from them to be able to give a definite timframe.  I freely admit to knowing nothing about the processes not being involved (apologies to those involved if I make any errors of assumption, please feel free to correct me.) but this seems like a HUGE project to juggle, and the number of variables to consider must be even MORE huge.  So big in fact I suspect its either very difficult or next to impossible to predict most or all of what could go wrong with the game.

Consider:

look at the "statistics" pages for the two KQ games vs QFG2.    For the most part,  QFG2 is many times more complex.  While the  difference isn't significant in some respects (sprites or characters) its VERY complicated in other ways (dialogue).  No matter how you look at it, that's a ton of data to handle, leading to a great deal of complexity (and complexity can leave the opporunity for alot of errors to crop up.)

Another way to look at it:  QFG2 has your three basic characters.  There's also the hybrid characters to consider -  in QFG2 you had a fighter/thief that passed WIT it would be a wizard in later games (unless it became a paladin) and you could get the wizard ending.  One small detail can change alot in the later games.   Then you have to consider that there are many many days for that character to interact with the world, and in each day lots of diff possible conversations (character interaction, random encounters,  exploring and puzzle solving events, etc.)  Again, alot to possibly do, but also alot that could possibly go wrong (and may not even be immediately obvious either!)

I also would think that means alot of time is required for testing and finding these errors.   It must really be a big process of trial and error, ,which really must mean playing the game over, and over,  and over.  While they're clearly QFG fans, they must have played this games countless hundreds of times by this point just to TEST it - it would get a little repetetive.  And then they still have to fix the problems they do find (which I would guess might involve some further trial and error in some cases at least.)  And all this on top of having other real life concerns and considerations to work the project around (and I bet there are times they get tired/discouraged/frustrated, so you also have to allow for them to take breaks from it.)

I apologize for lecturing, but its something that has always been at the back of my mind when I've been reading these forums over the years (you'll find I'll probably be doing alot of that.. I really should have joined sooner  :rollin )  but when I really thought about all that MIGHT be involved, I'm not really surprised why they never give definite timeframes.  They're not omniscient and they probably can't give but the vaguest idea, and doing that probably will lead at least some people to have expectations (and if something goes wrong and they have to push the date back, ,those expectations will be disappoitned.)

In the end all this effort is really just to make the time when we DO play the game as enjoyable and un-frustrating as possible -  I mean, woul d you want this one to be like QFG4 was?  I don't think so.    And this way,  it helps to minimize the odds of needing future "patches" to fix the game,  or having to start over from scratch because of some bug that ruins your game (its happened in the text-interface of QFG2 for me on several occasions throughout the years.)  

Again, forgive my long-winded commentary.  I like to speak my mind and when I do it tends to veer towards ranting.  ;)

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Jack Sawyer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:54 am

navynuke04 wrote:Bugs are continuously being crossed off the list. New bugs are still being added, but they are getting to be fewer and fewer, so headway is being made.

Keep in mind that after we are done bug hunting, we are going to turn the game over to beta testers to bug hunt on as well. They are liable to find a whole lot of things we didn't.
This leads me to another thought.  You guys have shared some of the errors you find, but have you ever commented on just how many you've found so far (even in vague terms?)   I've gotten the impression its a really big number (though in cases like this I don't know what "a big number" might mean...)   It's just me, but I think it would be an interesting thing to know.

qwweee
Peasant Status

#9 Post by qwweee » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:04 am

no writing at all ? not even in some specific situations ?

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Jack Sawyer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:09 am

Um, barring something like entering your name I can't really imagine where you would need it.  

Most of the "question/answer" topics (like with Aziza's Q&A when you first enter her house, or WIT) can be handled much the same way the questions to Erasmus' house was in QFG1VGA(multiple options).

Out of curiosity, what difference will it make anyhow?  I'd find the cursor-driven version of all the other QFGs to be much better in most respects than the typing.

adeyke

#11 Post by adeyke » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:27 am

Actually, Aziza's door (for example) does use text input.  I always felt that QfG1VGA's multiple choice interface was a bit cheap, so I'm glad QfG2VGA doesn't have it.  For example, the puzzle of Aziza's name is quite easy (and there are NPCs who tell you her name directly), but it would just be completely obvious if that was in multiple choice form.

So there is some typing in the game, but not for the general interface.

qwweee
Peasant Status

#12 Post by qwweee » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:57 pm

with typing in some situation can be much harder to solve the game for example, "larry 7" is point and click but there is a situation where you need to write Fart or in the begining Break where near the glass, if i play again i could never think of that unless i remember what me and my brothers used to write 10 years ago in the game.

i still remember the ending and back then i couldnt understand that scene (i think there was exploding buildings and stuff) but i knew its dirty somehow, the same with the dildo.