QFG2 Public Forum?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MacK
Peasant Status

QFG2 Public Forum?

#1 Post by MacK » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:02 am

Just wondering... would there be any chance to get a forum for QFG2?  I don't get over here to the forums often, but it would be great if there were a seperate area for QFG2 for readability reasons.  It takes a while to troll through the General Forum to find the latest on the QFG2 stuff.

Just a note in the virtual suggestion box.  :)

MacK

haradan
Knight Status

#2 Post by haradan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:58 am

I don't think they will set up a forum before the game is released, since most posts would be of the "is it done yet?" kind. Buy maybe a sticker at the top would be a good idea for those casual visitors who just drop by to see if there's any news.

adeyke

#3 Post by adeyke » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:07 am

Indeed, such a forum will be made when the game is released but no sooner.  There are already too many "when will it be done?" posts now, and making a forum would only cause more of them (especially if people take the creation of the forum as a sign that release is imminent).

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Music Head » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:15 am

You don't need to trudge through the forums to find updates on QFG2VGA anyway, if there was any substansial progress it would be posted into the designer journals.

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Billetwound » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:51 am

yeah i just think people don't understand that the more time that they have to put into dealing with all the people asking when is the game gonna be done and wanting constant updates that takes major time away that they could be spending working on the game.  I'd rather wait and have a great copy of the game and not bother them with are you done yet type crap because they are doing this for free, the game will be free and yeah we all get a copy of it, but they are doing for themselves as well and they wouldn't put out something they aren't happy with.  so i'd say having a forum for it already would be a bad idea cause it would just start up way to much crap that people throw at them already in small doses when people just need to be patient and it will come in time.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by DonQuixote » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:09 pm

there is a search option for the forums

also, if you're that interested, just log on for a little bit each day and see if there's anything new after browsing through the forum

MacK
Peasant Status

#7 Post by MacK » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:16 am

Oh, you guys are right... I should just log in every day and search for something like...

"latest updates on QFG"

or even

"ignore the non QFG relavant stuff and give me everything else"

or, why not

"search all the'is it done' posts, and give me the meat"

Sure, those are goona give me real good results.  Unlike the trolls around here who have nothing better to do than check forums by "logging in every day", I would like to have a forum with important posts stickied and everything else not.  Putting up a forum will take the admin a total of 2 minutes to click "create new forum" and maybe another 5 to add new moderators.  From that point, nothing else is needed to maintain the stupido thing.  Right now, the general forum is a smattering of things from "is it done" posts to "should AGDI redo SQx" to "I hate comedy games and have no life".  As it is currently the "General Forum" is a "General Junkpile", and it is a pain to read.  Doesn't anyone else understand this?

So, nuff said - 5 responses and everyone tells me that by implementing my suggestion is a waste of time and energy and it will make the "is it done" posts increase exponentially.  I am glad that the "virtual suggestion box" is respected so well and taken seriously. :(

Oh, and FYI, I run several forums on the side in addition to my real life job.  I don't need to check them every day and they remain much more organized than the General Forum here.  And for the love of god, the "there is a search button" response is so old and irrelevant.  Seriously...

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#8 Post by Swift » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:12 am

Were any of your forums about games you were making in your free time and had lots of posters badgering you for it to be released immediately? I can't speak for them but I have maintained such forums before, and it's not true that "nothing else is needed to maintain the stupido thing", not when you're in a position to getting something released quickly and also need to respond to the "is it done yet?" posts constantly. It gets very tiring after a while. It's even worse when the forums are as active as TSL's or have a few very active spammers, then it really leads to mod burnout quickly unless you have a good number of people moderating one forum.

I do agree that a sticked post would be helpful, though I'm guessing that they don't have the time to put one up yet. As for creating a new forum, perhaps they're worried that it'd only end up being an echo of the "General Junkpile" you've just described? Bug-tracking's tiring business. Cut them some slack.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#9 Post by Kloreep » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:10 am

You seem to be getting a little bent out of shape over trivia, MacK. :/ Yes, it wouldn't be hard for them to create the QFG2 forum now, but neither would it be that great.

There is an easy place for you to go to easily check the latest news: the designer journals. And indeed, if you look at the last entry, it gives a pretty good summary of where the game stands today: it's down to an issues list they have; as they fix the bugs and other problems they have on it, they get closer to the next phase of beta testing. The only thing that's been posted in the forums is "we chopped x many problems off the list recently" or "here are a few examples of the bugs we're dealing with." Entertainments and appetizers, nothing important. If you're really so rabid about the game as to want every last one of these crumbs - and I can sympathize with that, I know I am - I think you probably can stand to look around the forum, yes. If it's not that big a deal to you, I'm sure you'll see anything important by checking the main site every once in a while.

If you do want to see the whole backlog, you might try searching for all posts by AGD2 or Erpy. They're the people posting them, at least for the most part.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:29 pm

I would like to have a forum with important posts stickied and everything else not.
Why do we need to create a new forum for that? There are only two more major updates pending regarding QFG2VGA...the beta testing stage and the release. For the beta testing stage, we can just as easily create a post in the developer journals thread which is already a sticky and create an additional sticky regarding beta testing right here too. Why an extra forum?
Putting up a forum will take the admin a total of 2 minutes to click "create new forum" and maybe another 5 to add new moderators.  From that point, nothing else is needed to maintain the stupido thing.  Right now, the general forum is a smattering of things from "is it done" posts to "should AGDI redo SQx" to "I hate comedy games and have no life".  As it is currently the "General Forum" is a "General Junkpile", and it is a pain to read.  Doesn't anyone else understand this?
Still, most posts around this forum nowadays are "when is it done"-posts and those would all go to the QFG2VGA forum if we created one. Still wouldn't improve readability as much as you'd suggest. Plus, creating a new forum WILL encourage people to start posting in it, which means more traffic and more stuff for us to read through. I personally think keeping a more low profile during development and then creating a forum upon the game's release is a better idea.
So, nuff said - 5 responses and everyone tells me that by implementing my suggestion is a waste of time and energy and it will make the "is it done" posts increase exponentially.  I am glad that the "virtual suggestion box" is respected so well and taken seriously.
If "respected and taken seriously" means "implementing without keeping our own stance into account", then no, we're not doing that. If "respected and taken seriously" means us considering the pros and cons of creating a new forum and acting according to our best judgement, then we ARE doing that. Thing is, this question popped up several times in the past already, so we basically thought this through already long before you created this topic.
And for the love of god, the "there is a search button" response is so old and irrelevant.  Seriously...
Acknowledged, but the major updates will be posted on both the site and the forums once we reach that point. Minor updates, which are really appetizers, don't make it to the sticky whether that sticky's in the general forum or a QFG2-forum. For the major updates, once they're there they'll be hard to miss. For the minor updates, they'll take some searching but you're not missing any landmark updates if you don't look for them.

Fair enough?
I do agree that a sticked post would be helpful, though I'm guessing that they don't have the time to put one up yet.
Actually, time is not the issue here, it's just there's nothing major to report at the moment.

(edit: whoohoo 8000th post)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Betting pool

#11 Post by Brainiac » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:21 pm

Erpy wrote:(edit: whoohoo 8000th post)
I am now starting a betting pool on when Erpy breaks 5-digits.  Obviously, Erpy himself is ineligible. :D