Who's working on Quest For Glory II VGA?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

gamecreator
Knight Status

Who's working on Quest For Glory II VGA?

#1 Post by gamecreator » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:03 pm

Throughout the year or so I've regularly visited these forums, I've noticed several forum members pop up as actively contributing to Quest For Glory II VGA.  Can someone please post the complete list and what they're doing for the game?  I'm curious who's involved in all aspects: scripting, music, background art, sprite art, etc.  I'd also like to know where you get the sound from, for the game (as I'm assuming you don't create it yourselves).

Thanks.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:26 pm

At the moment, it's just Erpy and myself fixing all of the bugs on the to-do list. Pretty much every other aspect of the game, aside from a few sound effects, has already been finished.  

Aside from Tom working on the revamped music, and AGD1 drawing and coloring the dialogue pictures, there are a handful of other contributors, mostly in the art areas, but we're not planning to disclose the full list until after the game's been released.

Before he left, Wolfgang also did some excellent work compiling all of the SCI game's dialogues into a workable Point and Click dialogue system. He also integrated the NPC plaza code, and came up with the navigation system that we used for the improved alleyway network.

As for sound effects, I actually do make most of them myself. Many of them are vocal recordings pitched up or down and then used with filters to give the desired effect. Spell sound effects (among others) were taken directly from the other QFG games for authenticity, and assorted sounds were also recorded from the SCI version of QFG2 then given depth, reverb, additional pitch etc. to make them sound better for the remake.  

Finally, some sound effects are found online, but in such cases, they're usually altered and/or mixed beyond all recognition. Whenever possible, I try to record all the sounds myself.  I have a mini-disc recorder which I used for KQ2VGA to walk around recording different sounds that I thought might be useful in the game. For example, when Graham digs the graves in the Count's cemetery, the sound recording for that was actually a real one where I started digging a hole in the ground with a shovel next to the recorder.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#3 Post by Kloreep » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:51 pm

Wow, that's some attention to detail on the sound. :) It's cool you record your own stuff. I imagine I'll appreciate it with QFG2 (and now realize I have on the KQ remakes). All too often I'll hear a sound in a game and go "Hey, they also used that one for an interface noise in game X..." (Probably the worst one along those lines was a game that used the same sound when you opened a door as AIM uses for notifications. Disconcerting to say the least.)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:04 pm

there are a handful of other contributors, mostly in the art areas, but we're not planning to disclose the full list until after the game's been released.
Although I feel two names probably worth mentioning in specific are a duo of artists named John-Paul and Emily Selwood. They did some great work back in the time when the art for the game was still in the touching-up stage.

Broomie
The Enigma

#5 Post by Broomie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:45 pm

You could also tell by their obviously increased post count and how they've only got 5 pages of posts. ;)

John-Paul and Emily Selwood are fantastic artists though when we had them over at IA. I already know that the artwork in QFG2VGA will be beautiful and very well detailed.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#6 Post by gamecreator » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:00 pm

AGC2, can you share a URL or a description to the brand/model of the mini-disc recorder you use?  I was considering buying a portable device that records sounds to memory and then connects to USB to download it but I'm not sure if it exists (sounds good in my head though).

And though they weren't mentioned, I was under the impression for some reason that navynuke04 and adeyke were also involved in the project.  Are they?  If so, what do they do?  (Or if that must wait for the game's release, no problem.)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#7 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:04 pm

It was a Sony brand mini-disc recorder. I bought it back in 2000 when it seemed like they were going to be the next big thing in portable music... but they were very quickly superseded by portable MP3 Players and I-pods.  While some mini disc units have the ability to record audio, the discs themselves are a fiddly medium to work with and I wouldn't really recommend getting one. They're too oldschool, and better technology now exists .

I'd suggest getting a portable Digital Handheld sound recorder instead.  The Olympus DS-30 seems like the best one for its price. The only downside, being that you can only record in .wma format. But that's not a huge deal, really. More info here:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_secti ... oduct=1276

As for the other members, Navynuke hasn't played the original QFG2 before, so he hasn't really involved in the development of QFGVGA.  He moreso just assists with the website and forum-related duties.  Adeyke has helped out here and there with some alpha testing.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by AGP » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:43 am

Dude, in 1995 it was clear that mindiscs had failed to replace CDs. For one thing, they had less storage capacity than CDs, which resulted in compressed music of otherwise the same quality. I dont think anyone thought they'd be big as late as 2000 (although I realize the format was still being sold).

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Muadeeb » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:02 pm

AGP --> In later years, 72min MD came out.  

GC --> The current trend in portable recording is compact flash.  You can spend anywhere from les than $50 for a dictation style, up to multi-hundreds for a broadcast/musician quality that supports high quality external mics.  It all depends on what your budget is, and how much time you want to spend in post cleaning up the audio.

-Chris
Broadcast Audio Guru