My thanks

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

My thanks

#1 Post by MagusRogue » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:12 pm

Alright, first off, some background. The first video game I ever played (seriously) was Quest for Glory 2. Since that game, I have been an uber-diehard addict to the series, up until its cancelation after 5. Even after that. So, one day this week I did some cleaning and found my old copy of the Quest for Glory Anthology. Booted it up, laughed a bit, cried a bit, and remembered why I loved this series so much. Many an hours have been lost on me sneaking through someone's house to steal their jeweled slippers or whatnots.

So, I spend most of today perusing the internet and trying to figure out how to make QG4 work (ah, one of the best, and, yet, one of the most bugged..... and, as an aside, with a combination of NewRisingSun's patch and VDMSound, it indeed works once again!), and what would I find? That an industrious and purely awesome group of people are working hard at rebuilding the game that started my addiction to literally all things computer-based!

And, so, I have to tell you guys, thanks from the bottom of my heart. Words can't experess how awesome it is to see my first game brought up to the level of the VGA's, since it was the only one without vga-making. Again, thank you so much, and I can't wait for this to be finally released.

Cheers!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:30 pm

Again, thank you so much, and I can't wait for this to be finally released.
That makes two of us. Thanks for the kind words.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:12 pm

Gee, I bet the entire forum envies you!  Everyone else around here has been twiddling their thumbs (and then some) for six years in anticipation of this particular remake.  But you only just found out about it today, meaning that you have a relatively short wait in comparison.  

I guess ignorance truly can be bliss.  ;)

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#4 Post by MagusRogue » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:59 pm

Well, I try.  >D

Amizan
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Amizan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:41 pm

i need to say it too guys. the first game i've ever played was qfg 5 and i loved it so much, i played it over and over again. I asked my older brother if we had the other 4 games and he said we had the anthology, but we lost it. i looked for it for 3 years and finally found it last year, and almost cried from joy (i mean that quite literally). so, i say thank you to all the developers that are developing qfg 2.

Piotyr
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Piotyr » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:17 am

I will be giving my thanks when I get my hands on the game, and I will be doing it tenfold! But till then I will just hang out and say rock on :).

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by DonQuixote » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:57 am

Any other game series, I would have said "screw this" to a long wait.  This game on the other hand is well worth it's wait  ;)

I also appreciate you guys not rushing this and taking your time with it.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#8 Post by gamecreator » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:56 pm

I disagree with Piotyr and DonQuixote.  Personally, I appreciate any effort to bring free entertainment to the public.  If something happened and the game never saw the light of day I will still be very thankful for the thousands of hours put into the game's production, the screenshots, the trailer, the discussions that keep us entertained... hell, even the inspiration for me to work on my own game, even though mine is a platformer genre.

Piotyr
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Piotyr » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:52 am

You make me sound like a jerk sir! Nay I am just the type that does not thank before thanks is due. There is a time and a place for everything and this is not it!

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#10 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:47 am

No hostilties need be. We are all awaiting the prize.

Your first game was (trutfully) QFG2?

I remember I had to get my basement ready for my friends and the stereo ready. I was 11 and the fastest most expensive thing was a 386.

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#11 Post by MagusRogue » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:37 pm

Yup. I was so lost in the game that I never got anywhere. This was when I was real young.... I can't remember what pc I had for it.... 486 maybe?

My first games EVER were QG2, KQ4, Ultima 6, Savage Worlds (STILL love this game), and the first Wing Commander. I've been hooked ever since.

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Jack Sawyer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:03 am

I've never played the Worlds of Ultima series.  I keep thinking I should add those to the list,  because I was a huge ultima fan (then again I never finished 7, 7 pt 2, 8, or 9, or the expansions like "Forge of Virtue" :P

benjipenguin
Peasant Status

#13 Post by benjipenguin » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:41 pm

You've been playing QG4 with VDMS?  I've been playing it as well, and for the most part it works fine. However, there are a couple of bugs, one of which is showstopping. At any combat scene, the moment my character attacks the other, the game freezes. Does it do the same for you? Also, I get some slight choppiness in some parts...

Anyways, I know that was off-topic, but I had to ask ;)   Thank you AGD team for the wonderful work you've done, and I, along with many others, anticipate patiently the release of QG2 :D

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#14 Post by MagusRogue » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:26 am

yeah I had that problem too. I got tired of that, so I went looking around to find out how to make QG4 work on DOSBOX. It involved alot of copying things from the cd and editing the qg4 configuration file to match dosbox's mounting.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by DonQuixote » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:31 am

gamecreator wrote:I disagree with Piotyr and DonQuixote.  Personally, I appreciate any effort to bring free entertainment to the public.  If something happened and the game never saw the light of day I will still be very thankful for the thousands of hours put into the game's production, the screenshots, the trailer, the discussions that keep us entertained... hell, even the inspiration for me to work on my own game, even though mine is a platformer genre.
\

Free gaming is always wonderful and I do appreciate anyone who loves doing this stuff.  What I was getting at is that with any other series, if it took long enough, I would most likely have lost interest by now.  This game on the other, despite it's long gestation, I have no problem waiting on  :)

Thyme in Lost
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Thyme in Lost » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:13 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Gee, I bet the entire forum envies you!  Everyone else around here has been twiddling their thumbs (and then some) for six years in anticipation of this particular remake.  But you only just found out about it today, meaning that you have a relatively short wait in comparison.  

I guess ignorance truly can be bliss.  ;)
I thankfully have just been waiting for a little over a year...
I'm still very much at that very thankful that someone is doing a remake and feel no need to rush those people...

I would rather wait another 2 or more years for a truely great game with no bugs... than have to deal with a truely great game that is as buggie as QFG3 or QFG4.

So... once again... thank you for taking you time...

benjipenguin
Peasant Status

#17 Post by benjipenguin » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:48 pm

MagusRogue wrote:yeah I had that problem too. I got tired of that, so I went looking around to find out how to make QG4 work on DOSBOX. It involved alot of copying things from the cd and editing the qg4 configuration file to match dosbox's mounting.
Yeah, I'm somehow able to play it in DOXBox without it recognizing the CD, but it lacks voices that way, which are a necessary part of the game for me (not every game, just QFG4) :)     Do you remember what part of the configuration needs to be edited?

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#18 Post by MagusRogue » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:08 pm

Gonna move this discusion to Off-Topic, if you don't mind, benjipenguin, since it's going wayyyy off topic.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#19 Post by Kloreep » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:41 am

benjipenguin wrote:
MagusRogue wrote:yeah I had that problem too. I got tired of that, so I went looking around to find out how to make QG4 work on DOSBOX. It involved alot of copying things from the cd and editing the qg4 configuration file to match dosbox's mounting.
Yeah, I'm somehow able to play it in DOXBox without it recognizing the CD, but it lacks voices that way, which are a necessary part of the game for me (not every game, just QFG4) :)     Do you remember what part of the configuration needs to be edited?
Copy resource.aud from the CD to your QFG4 directory. (You may also want to copy another file, called something like flyby.mov, if you want to see the opening movie.) Resource.aud is the file all the speech is stored in.

Edit your resource.cfg file (in your QFG4 directory) so that the path is "." (without the quotation marks) for resAUD. This will tell it to look in the directory the game is run from, regardless of what directory path that is (the latter is what can mess it up in DOSBox, if you mount anything but C:\ as drive C). You may also want to change the "resSFX" and "directory" paths to the same to make sure the sound effects will work in DOSBox (not sure if the directory path does anything but it can't hurt). If you're using NewRisingSun's patch (and you should!) add "." in for patchDir to make sure it can find those patch files.

Edit: Whoops, didn't read MagusRogue's reply close enough. It looks like he offers a slightly different solution though - I myself didn't realize the "." trick was possible until someone else pointed it out to me - so I suppose no harm done. :)

natethomas
Peasant Status

GFG4 and this game

#20 Post by natethomas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:30 am

I just thought of a pretty funny method of releasing this game that has an awful lot to do with what we're all talking about right now.

In a nutshell, you could get all the codes fixed, but in the mean time, release a game that loads and shows only one page.  The player takes a single step, then a giant sign says "ERROR 41!!  Hold Your Horses! We're getting to it!"

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

New goofs

#21 Post by Brainiac » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:06 am

natethomas wrote:In a nutshell, you could get all the codes fixed, but in the mean time, release a game that loads and shows only one page.  The player takes a single step, then a giant sign says "ERROR 41!!  Hold Your Horses! We're getting to it!"
Hm, perhaps some reference to Error 52 as a new Silly Clown?

adeyke

Re: GFG4 and this game

#22 Post by adeyke » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:34 am

natethomas wrote:I just thought of a pretty funny method of releasing this game that has an awful lot to do with what we're all talking about right now.

In a nutshell, you could get all the codes fixed, but in the mean time, release a game that loads and shows only one page.  The player takes a single step, then a giant sign says "ERROR 41!!  Hold Your Horses! We're getting to it!"
I think that's one of those things that might sound funny in the abstract, but really wouldn't be remotely amusing in actual implementation.

natethomas
Peasant Status

Re: GFG4 and this game

#23 Post by natethomas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:48 pm

adeyke wrote:I think that's one of those things that might sound funny in the abstract, but really wouldn't be remotely amusing in actual implementation.
Those are the best kinds of funny, at least from a practical joke perspective.  I suppose, though, the question eventually becomes who are you trying to amuse?