QFG 1 VGA

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Pots Talos
Peasant Status

QFG 1 VGA

#1 Post by Pots Talos » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:21 am

Hey all, long time lurker first time poster.
Well since the QFG2 remake is right around the corner, I have gone through Quest for Glory 1 VGA making maxed out chars. Pure thief, mage, fighter and a hybrid. Now since I finished doing that I thought about make a speedrun video to submit to SDA (Speed demo archives). My only problem is that I got the speedrun down perfect in dosbox but SDA doesn't accept videos made in Dosbox.
So I tried it through Windows and everything was working out great except when I got to the Troll inside the Bandit Cave, for some reason hes easy in Dosbox but on Windows super freaking hard... anyone know why?

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by AGP » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:18 am

My guess would be his AI and movents are faster on Windows DOS Prompt. DosBox already makes everything a lot slower. But try getting the new script files. Someone here might know where to find them. See if that helps.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#3 Post by Kloreep » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:12 am

AGP's suggestion is a good one, you can find NewRisingSun's patches for QFG1VGA (and QFG3 and QFG4CD, also highly recommended) at http://www.geocities.com/belzorash/

Unfortunately, I don't see anything about combat being changed in his notes about the QFG1VGA patch, so I doubt it will help. :/

Have you tried using a CPU slower program like Turbo, Moslo, etc? Or does the speedrun site not allow it?

BTW, a comment on your speedrun: I take it you're trying to do it with 500 points? Because if you're doing a speedrun with victory as the only condition, you only need to worry about Elsa. The Baronet and Baba Yaga are technically unnecessary.

Pots Talos
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Pots Talos » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:36 am

Well, I put those files in and the battle did seem to be going better but I still kept dying... I guess il just have to raise my weapon skill past 80 or raise my str past 50.
Nope, im not getting 500 points im just beating it as fast as I can. If I was getting the 500 I wouldn't have to fight the troll cause I would get to do the bandit meeting and learn "Hiden Gosek"  ;)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:33 pm

or you can just run away from him and go around into the cave.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:45 pm

You can't escape a fight with Fred the cave troll...he's supposed to be a "punishment" for not getting the password, effectively preventing people from visiting the brigands fortress on day 1. He's also supposed to be über hard. In the EGA version, he often managed to kill me, even with chainmail armor and several stats at 100.

Pots Talos
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Pots Talos » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:17 am

Well, I gave up trying to do it with the Thief. Mage makes it much easier i just raise Flame Dart to 50 and hes cake. Of course there is a problem though since Fraps won't record the game while playing it in windows for some reason but does record while playing it in DosBox!!  >:

What started out as an easy speed run is turning into a nightmare  :cry