Seraphim's Final Fantasy thread

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

Seraphim's Final Fantasy thread

#1 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:11 am

Well I've decided to make a thread dedicated to Final Fantasy due to the fact that too many games have come out. On the topic for now is Final Fantasy II 20th anniversery PSP,Final Fantasy Tactics The Lion War PSP and of course Final Fantasy IV DS. Of couse as everyone knows Final fantasy IV DS will be a 3D release of the classic but on PSP FFT The Lion War will be a remake of FFT on PSOne as I know it will have new job classes but I don't know about any new characters but I'd say this game is much better than Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced and probobly better than the upcominge Final Fantasy Tactics A 2 being there are no annoying law system in it and as for Final Fantasy II PSP it has much better graphics than the PSOne/GBA release and extra dungeons though I'm not sure if they are the same extra dungeons from GBA but I plan on getting all three games well thats all I have for now if anymore FF news comes up I will add it to this thread.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:50 am

non of those PSP remakes makes me want to get a PSP I'm afraid, if I wanted to play Tactics I can play it on my PS2. IV advanced however I might have to get. That was my favorite FF in terms of Story and it seems like IVA sucked big time.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#3 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:34 am

Crisis Core will be worth getting a PSP for, as will God of War Chains of Olympus. Plus the new slim PSP!!! Whoo!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#4 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:24 pm

What's Crisis Core?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#5 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:04 am

I think you get the award for only person on the planet not knowing what Crisis Core is.

Fargus2
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Fargus2 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:04 pm

So many Final Fantasy remakes and nothing about Chrono Trigger at all... :(

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#7 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:01 pm

ugg another VII spin, no PSP for me, although recently the Canadian dollar topped the American. I might go shopping for goodies across the border seeing as how I live on one.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#8 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:58 pm

It's been awhile since it's release but Chrono Trigger was releaesed on PSone on the Final Fantasy Chronicals which was Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger in one two disc set. It had tons of unlockables too such as maps that show where everything is art work and of course a bestiary. You should check it out.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:58 am

it also came complete with AMV cut scenes and terrible PSone load screens. I actually prefer the original.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#10 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:40 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:it also came complete with AMV cut scenes and terrible PSone load screens. I actually prefer the original.
I think your the first person ever to mis-spell FMV!!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#11 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:17 pm

I must have been thinking AMV video format. You've been pointing out all my errors left and right lately haven't you?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#12 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:30 pm

Only because you have done the same.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#13 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:41 am

Does anyone here think that Dirge Of Cerberus will be released as a greatest hit or should I get a copy before it's too late. Because i'd like to have the whole 7 collection.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#14 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:17 am

I would of thought the original would be better for your collection rather than the budget re-release.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#15 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:33 pm

I have the budget re release of VII and I paid 40 bucks for it! mind you this was maybe two years ago.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#16 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:42 am

Well it shouldn't really matter if its the greatest hit version of it or not if you just want it to play it. I use to buy games when they first come out and still do if they are cheap enough but some times you need to grow up and realize that buying games new to make a collection look good can really eat up money and besides if the game has a good story to it and plays all the way through it really shouldn't matter.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Upcoming FF games

#17 Post by Brainiac » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:40 am

Alright, I'm back.  Time to chime in, starting on the portable side of things.

FF12: Revenant Wings (DS) - From what I've seen so far, this may actually be a decent RTS, and that's saying something, considering the genre is nowhere near as widespread in Japan as in the States (much like shooters).  The alteration of Mist Knacks/Quickenings and the dropping of the License Board in favor of the License Ring are definite pluses, especially as the Ring is not for equipment/spells/skills, etc. (back to defined Job classes) but for the over fifty Summons that can be used throughout the game.  Yeah, you heard me, more than fifty.  And not just new Espers a la FF12, but basically the entire pantheon of FF Summons (even all three of the primary Lightning Summons used over the years - Ramuh, Quezacoatl, and Ixion).  Oddly enough, Zeromus (god, I loved the sense of sweet vengeance from controlling the royal pain from FF4) and Adrammelech are missing from the roster, but other than that, the game looks quite nice - especially for a portable title.  The FMVs look even better than FF3DS and, shock of shocks, the US version will be tweaked to be far harder than the Japanese version (again, the popularity of the genre comes into effect).

FF2 Anniversary Edition (PSP) - Nice looking and all, but the sheer number of ports of this game is getting a trifle annoying.  Plus, the maintaining of the diminished difficulty from the Dawn of Souls version annoys me further.  Add to that the $30 price tag, and you've got a definite no buy for me (at least, not until a 50% price drop).

Crisis Core (PSP) - I look forward to this game, simply because I've always wanted to know more about the backstory of FF7 characters - particularly Zack Fair (he has a last name now).  The details of the battle system that have surfaced so far are intriguing - new forms of Limits and Materia usage.  Overall, it could be the first Compilation game I find particularly interesting (I didn't care for DoC, Before Crisis isn't out over here yet, and Advent Children is not a game).  Oh, and as to DoC gaining GH status - I'm not sure it's had the sales numbers necessary for that.

FFT: The War of the Lions (PSP) - I actually prefer the shifted name - it brings the fictional creation closer to its historical counterpart (the War of the Roses).  Anyways, while the new Onion and Dark Knight classes are intriguing, I must admit what I look forward to most are the very in-style cutscenes and the improved translation - honestly, the localization was about all that held FFT from being a perfect game for me.  However, the addition of Balthier from FF12 and Ruso/Luso from FFTA2 worry me a little - screwing with the Ivalice chronology, convoluted as it is already, is begging for trouble.  Add in the addition of VA for US release and the lack of Yasumi Matsuno and there is some cause for concern - may it turn out to be for naught.

FF Agito XIII (Cellphone) - The general lack of sufficient cell phone hardware in the US relative to Japan will hinder this game coming over.  However, what I can say so far is that if the FMVs I've seen for this game are actually from cell phone architecture, I am seriously impressed.

Dissidia (PSP) - Anyone here remember SplashKhat's Final Fighting Fantasy flash movies?  Consider this the game version.  Basically, after this comes out, Ehrgeiz will lose the title "The Final Fantasy Fighter."  Still, this is the most recently announced title, and as such, singularly lacking in significant details.  In fact, the only revealed fighters so far are Garland and an Amano-style Light Warrior from FF1, along with Zidane and Kuja from FF9.  Honestly though, can anyone believe SE wouldn't try to fit every FF on Earth into this thing (though hopefully they'll leave off Mystic Quest...please)?

FF4DS - Do it better than the half-baked GBA port, and I'll be happy.

FFTA2/FFCC: Ring of Fate (DS)- Not enough info on these yet to have an informed opinion.

Now onto the console end of things.

FF12 International: Zodiac Job System (PS2) - Japanese only, I know, but still, the expected changes for this one might well make XII a far better game.

FF XIII (PS3) - So far, I am intrigued, but not truly impressed.  Not enough has been revealed of the battle mechanics to convince me of its playability.  The use of a female primary defined protagonist is long overdue (you can make a case for FF6, but the protagonist is not well-defined in that game).  I'll need to see more for a better opinion.

FF Versus XIII (PS3) - Again, intriguing, but not enough out there yet.  The trailers have been quite fascinating, but I need more to make a judgement call.  Admittedly, the graphics certainly are drool-worthy, but that only gets you so far.  And of course, there are those that feel the game's development by Tetsuya Nomura's KH team implies it will be a poor product and, while Nomura has confirmed the action-RPG will owe much of its battle system to that series, I'm inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt (though if it becomes a mindless button-masher, I will be very annoyed).

FF11: Wings of the Goddess (PC/PS2/360)- Expansion #4, apparently containing new Jobs once again.  I don't really care that much, as Treasures of Aht Urhgan added the last Job Class I cared about (Blue Mage) and I have a natural aversion to monthly fees.

FFCC: The Crystal Bearers (Wii) - Same as the DS countepart title, I don't know enough about this title to have formed an opinion.  In truth, I don't care all that much about the Crystal Chronicle iterations anyway.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#18 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:51 pm

more on PSP than I realized, if CDN reaches USD any closer I'll probably pick one up across the river (think of seeing a psp with a 30 dollar price drop on top of the previous drop and that's what shopping across the border is for me right now ) :D

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#19 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:03 pm

Well I've been looking all over the place for any videos or screenshots of Final Fantasy IV DS. But I can't find anything showing the battle mode exept for a couple low quality pics its almost driving me crazy. But the wait should be worth it. Also my birthday is coming up and I'll have to sacrifice my PSP till Christmas but only because Digimon season 1 has been released on DVD but I'm gonna try to pick up Final Fantasy II on PSP just to go along with the first one and I guess I'll just have to wait to play it. I just hope Final Fantasy IV DS will be as good as i think it will be cause if it is then well I won't be able to wait for VI for DS. Maybe I'll freeze myself for 5 to 10 years till they start making it....

JUST JOKING HA HA HA

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Cryogenic gamefreak

#20 Post by Brainiac » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:54 pm

seraphimdreamer777 wrote:Maybe I'll freeze myself for 5 to 10 years till they start making it...
Okay Cartman, let us know how your time with the talking otters is. :p

Anyways, the Tokyo Game Show has finished its run and a fair bit of info came out.  Add to that Crisis Core having a greater number of opening sales than FF3DS, and I'd say FF sequels are doing good business, regardless of platform.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#21 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:36 am

Well I'm gonna beat Final Fantasy 20th anniversery tonight as soon as my PSP charges. I'm so cool. As far as this game  goes it was a great remake. The bonus dungeons were great I loved the way they included in each dungeon 4 differant bosses each of the 4 bosses were from differant Final Fantasy games (3,4,5 and 6) and had boss music from they're corisponding games I love rock version of the Final Fantasy 6 boss music. For this game I give it an 8 out of 10 only cause it's the 3rd remake of this game if it was a brand new game and not a remake I would have gave it a 10 but 8 is good.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

New Dungeons

#22 Post by Brainiac » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:12 pm

The Soul of Chaos dungeons, using enemies and bosses from FF3 - FF6, already existed in the previous GBA release.  The new dungeon is the Labyrinth of Time, which unlocks after beating all four fiends.  I wouldn't recommend trying it until you've dealt with the Soul of Chaos dungeons first.  You also have 8 different versions of the dungeon boss Chronodia to face (each one occupying a different slot in the Bestiary).

FF2 Anniversary Edition is a bit more practical in new dungeons.  The Soul of Rebirth (also from the GBA version) quest remains as the post-game extra, but there are also three Arcane Dungeons scattered throughout the main quest, each containing "ultimate" weapons for your characters.  They open over time, specifically by using those Keywords you get throughout the game.  You can even enter the first Arcane Dungeon right after getting Minwu in your party and pick up his Staff of Light as well as Josef's Dragon Claws (you need five available keywords to start).

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#23 Post by Schloss Ritter » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:34 pm

I've started to watch what seems to be a good retrospective on the series starting here: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22250.html

The total of all the episodes is long though, just to warn you.  Enjoy  :D

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#24 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:04 pm

O.K. I did not want this thread to die out cause I wanted it to be the official AGD Interactive source for Final Fantasy news but for so long I have not had any news about Final Fantasy but I do know according to the Game Stop website the new Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for DS  is soon to be available and I finally got Final Fantasy 2 for PSP. So if anyone has any news I don't thats Final Fantasy related post it here oh and if anyone finds out any U.S. release date info on Final Fantasy IV on DS before I do then let me know cause I don't know if I can stand the wait any longer and also if its O.K. I know its asking a lot but could I have a special status on this website like the AGDI Black Mage it would be so cool.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#25 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:34 pm

what about that FFIV remake for DS? Haven't heard about that in awhile