Hmm? Ungreatful much?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

Hmm? Ungreatful much?

#1 Post by FatherGhostface » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:51 pm

I think you impatient one should get down on your knee's and just thank these nice computer experts/game designers for even going out their way and spending their valuable time to make these games for us. QFG is taking a while, personally I believe the more time and effort put into a project means that it'll be that much better. I'm sure your hurting their feelings when you complain about the fact that it is taking long.  :(  :)

arganite
Royal Servant Status

Re: Hmm? Ungreatful much?

#2 Post by arganite » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:09 am

FatherGhostface wrote:I think you impatient one should get down on your knee's and just thank these nice computer experts/game designers for even going out their way and spending their valuable time to make these games for us. QFG is taking a while, personally I believe the more time and effort put into a project means that it'll be that much better. I'm sure your hurting their feelings when you complain about the fact that it is taking long.  :(  :)
Well personally, I feel a bit of both. I know that they are going as fast as they can and we are going to get a great game out at the end of the day, but I am also impatient as it was slated for a Christmas 2004 release from memory, and we are still waiting. However I don't criticize, because I know how difficult it really is.

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Jack Sawyer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:40 am

hey I AM grateful.  There's a reason why I never complain.

I think though you really have to cut them some slack on the projected release dates.  THey've explained the reasons and frankly I think they're quite good ones.

Furthermore,  as they've indicated, this is a big, complicated project for them to do, and that makes it very time consuming to make sure everything is as right as it can possibly be.   That also makes it hard to
predict with any detail WHEN the game comes out,  because something could always crop up along the way that wasn't unexpected, and even the "bug-testing" phase is hampered by the fact they have no real way of knowing what won't work until they try it.

Hearing them talk about the game by now, they're probably as sick and tired of the testing as all of us waiting for it are, and wish it could just be released (if for no other reason than to spare them the tedium!) but they are dedicated to releasing the best project they possibly can - and that sort of dedication has seen them through years of work and testing on the project.  

Its worthwhile for all of us to keep that foremost in our minds while we await the finished product.  At least that's what I think.    :hat

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:01 am

Nah, it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. Making games, you learn to develop a fairly thick skin.  It just gets frustrating having to address the same thing over and over on a daily basis. In fact, I no longer reply to emails requesting a release date because it's an ongoing thing. New one-liner emails just come in every day asking the same question.

I'm sure that whenever new members or non-regular posters drop by requesting an update, they're not intending to be rude.  But they are being somewhat lazy, which can be equally as frustrating.  The information they need to know can be found in a couple of minutes if they'd just spend a few moments checking the recent posts. The adage "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer" applies here.  If someone asks for a release date, knowing that we don't know the answer,  they can only expect an equally silly reply in return.  If someone posts making an asshole of themselves in the process, then I'll either reply back to them in a manner befitting their original tone, ignore it, or delete the post, depending on the mood I'm in at the time.  Despite their intentions, a rude poster still won't change anything and does little more than wasting a couple of minutes of theirs and our own time.

Some people act like we're holding out on telling them the release date.  Like, we've known all along but are just keeping it to ourselves. While others believe that if they "remind us" of how long the game has been in development, it'll make us feel guilty and somehow get us to work faster.   But the bottom line is that, rudeness and politeness notwithstanding, we're not going to rush the game to completion, regardless of what anyone says.  That doesn't mean we're not working quickly on it.  It  simply means that we won't allow ourselves to be pressured into releasing something sub-standard.  

All of this will be moot when the game is released, and the way I see things, it's better to take longer and do the remake justice, rather than rush it and make a bad impression on one of the best games of all time.

Yeah, we expected to be finished sooner and it sucks that we're not done yet.  But comprehend the fact that people will be getting, for free, a product that would have made millions of dollars for Sierra, had they released it themselves.  This remake is not making us rich, it's not even making us a baseline amount of money to support the time and hours that go into making a game of this size.  A lot of paid work has been sacrificed over the years to ensure that QFG2VGA is finished. Consequently, there's no way it's not going to be released.   But before people ask "when's it going to be done?" for the umpteenth time, please consider whether you'd be willing to work in your job for 6 years without pay, solely as a community service.  If your answer is no, then the least you can do is be patient.  And if the answer is yes, then why aren't you already on our team?  :D  

Money's not everything, but having enough of it to be able to continue to do what you're doing comfortably is a necessity in this day and age. And just because we're working on a free game doesn't mean the taxman's gonna cut us any breaks.  So if you want faster development times, pay for your software. But if you're getting it for free, then you must accept the fact that you'll just have to be patient.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has shown patience.  It's been a long wait, but rest-assured, it's nearly over now!

techie775
Knight Status

#5 Post by techie775 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:31 pm

sweet. Thanks for detailed response. Should be interesting. If I remember the first version kq2vga said in the easter egg with the hero the game would be possible by 2003. Oh well, I'd rather play bugless completed game than a quickly made one...

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#6 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:35 am

Well said, AGC2.  If only having something like that posted on the main page would quiet the naysayers and impatient ones.  But many of those are probably the ones who don't check the main page anyway.   :rolleyes

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Jack Sawyer » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:35 am

I don't think you'll quiet anyone really.   It'll still happen over and over again until the game comes out, unfortunately.  I have never understood why, but some people never bother to consider if other people have countlessly asked the same question they want to ask..

Kudos to you AGC2 and all the others for being able to put up with the repetition of testing the game and dealing with the fans.  I certainly don't have the patience for it. >:

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#8 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:21 am

Fight fight fight, damn, it's like itchy and scratchy.

All I had to do was glance at the entire thread and I think I had a feeling what was going on.

We may be pissed sometimes, but hell. Chill out dudes! These are old adventure games most of you probably haven't played for years!

When was the last time you completed the entire QFG saga, Dragonfire included. My last QFG was three years ago and I got to Dragonfire, then got bored.

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Jack Sawyer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:15 am

I probably will replay QFG from beginning to end when QFG2 comes out.  I dont intend to just jump IN to QFG2 (at least I'm not thinking that).  I've been replaying alot of old games - finishing up Escape from monkey Island right now.  And I have Fallout and Fallout 2 on the list too.  I might try Arcanum in the meantime as well,.

That's inaddition to all the PS2 games I play :P

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#10 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:19 am

Okay Jack. You mentioned Fallout.

Nice games. Nice series. A true winner in gaming history.

Fallout1 and Fallout2. Classics. A case of beer and a Fallout weekend.
Memories.

Fargus2
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Fargus2 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:04 am

:eek  Fallout fans! Arcanum was good too.

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#12 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:49 am

Never played Arcanum myself.

Explain it to me. I am too lazy to look it up, I have Baldurs Gate paused right now, gotta get back to it.

Pyotr
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Pyotr » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:30 am

You know, I've been checking the forums for news sporadically for I don't know how long now, and I tend to see the same stuff, over and over.  In fact, I just spent the better part of a half hour reading through some of the more recent posts, found quite a bit of interesting info in there.

Although I'm not currently in the game industry (I do use 3D modeling in my current job), I went to school and study 3d modeling, sculpting, etc., and had a number of friends who were involved in making game mods.  I have a TREMENDOUS amount of respect for the AGDI team and the fact that, unlike so many other groups out there, they've not let time and exhaustion derail their efforts.  I've followed a few mods in the past that sounded great, then petered out after awhile.  So thanks guys, VERY much!  Your reworking of KQ1 was absolutely fantastic, and I completely understand how astronomically more complicated QFG2 is by comparison.  I know a lot of other people have said essentially the same thing, but in my opinion this kind of comment can't be said too many times.

Also, to all the overly demanding folks out there: remember, these guys don't owe us anything at all.  We're not paying them to do this, nobody is.  So please be patient...try and do what I do and check this site every month or two (unless you really like reading the forums, in which case go for it! :) )...I've seen a lot of posts from folks who seem to check it every day expecting the game to be ready for download.  If AGDI DID post it today, I'd be VERY willing to bet those same people would be hollering about the 40 or 50 bugs still in the game.  I used to work computer retail sales, and people can be absolute morons that way.  No offense intended--anyone who's ever worked retail will understand. :)  Whoever wrote in a recent post about people acting like idiots when there aren't any real social controls, like in a retail store, an amusement park, on forums...I think there's a lot of truth to that.  Similar to perfectly nice people turning into raging lunatics while driving.  

So my advice--Christmas Eve seems a LOT longer if you spend the whole night staring under the tree, counting the seconds as they trickle by...much better just to go to sleep and wake up in the morning and discover ... QGF2 ready for download, bug-free.  :)  

BTW, I am aware that there are a lot of people out there for who perhaps are not as articulate with the pen as they are with the spoken word, and who type things that can sound unintentionally rude.  My comments aren't directed at them :) Just my 2 cents... Looking forward (patiently) to the QFG2 release!

Fargus2
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Fargus2 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:47 am

Ibanezrg82 wrote:Never played Arcanum myself.

Explain it to me. I am too lazy to look it up
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura is set on a high fantasy world where there has been a recent industrial revolution. Magic and technology can't coexist, and the world is divided between mages and technologists, the game plays a lot like the Fallouts, with lots of possible ways of completing quests, some of the optional side quests are very long (Longer than Fallout's), the character development system is classless and you can choose to follow magic, technology, or remain neutral. You can choose your race and a background that acts like Fallout's traits. Be sure that you get the latest patch (Version 1074), because the unpatched version is very buggy.

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#15 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:08 am

Thanks Fargus. I will look into Arcanum.

I loved the Fallout engine and gameplay. Fallout1 was alot easier than 2.
Altough I never got through Fallout2, because my character got addicted to Jet, Alcohol, and Mentats. I used them for a battle and later became a hopeless junkie. After a while, I turned it into an evil game and started robbing townfolk and killing storekeepers. My car ran out of gas, and I died in the wastelands.  :cry

Fargus2
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Fargus2 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:52 am

Heh, that's why I always make the jet cure. :p

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Fallout

#17 Post by Brainiac » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:40 am

A question for all the Fallout freaks:

You are up to date, right?

As to waiting on software, considering that it even happens to commercial releases and people wait on them, I see no reason not to extend the same courtesy to AGDI's works.  Though I suppose the annoying "WHEN?!" questioning is unavoidable.

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#18 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:08 am

Up to date on Fallout? I heard the new one should be out soon or something.
Thanks Brainiac for the link. My brother reminds me every week of the progress. Unfortunately I am using a Pentium 4, so Fallout 3 is out of the question for me at the moment. I hope it is good though, I will probably play it a few years after the release.

I don't ask AGDI "when" anymore, after 10,000 times or so of the same question, they tend to get angry when you ask.  :hat

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#19 Post by Fribbi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:24 pm

Yeah, we expected to be finished sooner and it sucks that we're not done yet.  But comprehend the fact that people will be getting, for free, a product that would have made millions of dollars for Sierra, had they released it themselves.  This remake is not making us rich, it's not even making us a baseline amount of money to support the time and hours that go into making a game of this size.  A lot of paid work has been sacrificed over the years to ensure that QFG2VGA is finished. Consequently, there's no way it's not going to be released.
So this means you could had finish the game faster if this was payed work. I understand! ;)

Why didn't I get that idea too when I was trying to remaking Larry 3 into VGA in my own pastdays. I mean I get no money for it too because I am not the author of the game so why not work on this whenever I have time.  And maybe release it out when I am 69 year old or let my own grandchildren take over my works...well I hope they have learned enough then on that AGS thing. I just don't care anymore! I just love to make my fans wait and wait because I am evil computer nerd bastard muwhahahahahaha. I'm so cruel to my fans! :evil  :p  :rollin  Just kidding!

Oh for cry sake just leave the AGDI team alone!!!!!!! Buhuuuhuuuuu :cry  and let them work on their games in peace! They in AGDI team only think you fans still want from them are more, more, more free games from them.  How are they going to survive after all this things they have worked year after year for nothing but love on their games? You never think about that do you? Just leave AGDI alone!!!!! :cry  :cry  :cry

Hehe sorry about that. I added Chris Crocker joke here there in the end if you didn't get my joke hehehehe.  :D

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#20 Post by Gronagor » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:36 pm

You gotta remember that bug-testing is about 1/2 the work. During this phase, all the excitement of a new project is gone. (During the first part it is always great to see new art, hear new music, see new twists to the plot)

In other words... little or no motivation. This is the phase where many projects died. (believe me... one cannot put it in words how boring this part is) So, the fact that they're still going with such a complicated script is pretty impressive.

Hey! We haven't had a QfG2-look-alike competition yet!!  :D

Edit: Best photo will win a free copy of QfG2VGA!  :p

Hmmm... Steffi will make a good Aziza. Bromios a good Erasmus. Hmmmm... AGD1 will be a great Raseir Princess (what was her name?)  :D

Lambonius
Knight Status

#21 Post by Lambonius » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:59 am

Gronagor wrote: Hey! We haven't had a QfG2-look-alike competition yet!!  :D

Edit: Best photo will win a free copy of QfG2VGA!  :p

Hmmm... Steffi will make a good Aziza. Bromios a good Erasmus. Hmmmm... AGD1 will be a great Raseir Princess (what was her name?)  :D
Zayisha :)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Emir's daughter

#22 Post by Brainiac » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:19 pm

Actually, it's Zayishah.  And I'm not sure she's technically a princess.  A daughter of the Sultan of Shapeir would be, but I don't know about a daughter of the Emir of Raseir.

If I were to enter this competition, probably the best I could do was Abu Al-Njun.  Maybe Ali Fakir if I grew a mustache. :p

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#23 Post by Gronagor » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:43 pm

Gonna be tough to grow a moustache like that. :)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Full head of hair

#24 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:00 pm

Indeed; especially for me.  My facial hair, when I let it grow, is thin, stringy, and very slow to fill out - nowhere near what's needed for a quick Groucho-style 'stache.

Broomie
The Enigma

#25 Post by Broomie » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:52 pm

Gronagor wrote:Hmmm... Steffi will make a good Aziza. Bromios a good Erasmus. Hmmmm... AGD1 will be a great Raseir Princess (what was her name?)  :D
Since when do I look like Erasmus? I could dress up like him but I just found that a bit odd.  :p