Money Changer

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

gizzywiz
Peasant Status

Money Changer

#1 Post by gizzywiz » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:24 pm

I was wondering what is the formula for the coin exchange.  If I exchanged all the coins at once, I got much less (50-100 Dinar) than if I exchanged in small increments.  Will this be in the remake or is it more like QfG3 with all coins at once changed and a set percentage taken off?

greensenshi
Knight Status

#2 Post by greensenshi » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:02 am

I don't know the exact formula, but there's a rate the Money Changer charges to exchange.  I'm sure someone can explain the economics behind it(if there are any).

Ekinatial
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Ekinatial » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:02 am

All I remember is that 50 gold yields 49 dinars. I'd always do 50 until I had less and just did whatever was left.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#4 Post by DrJones » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:55 am

I saw this in another forum the other day:

The art of ripping people off

gizzywiz
Peasant Status

#5 Post by gizzywiz » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:58 pm

I wonder if this is a bug that was overlooked in the original game.  Anyway thanks for the link.  I am glad others got outraged by the money changer's ethics (on exchanging not fencing stolen goods of course ;) ).

adeyke

#6 Post by adeyke » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:55 pm

It's intentional.  Providing a constant exchange rate would be much easier to implement than the current variable rate.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#7 Post by Gronagor » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:30 am

Heh. Interesting to know.... but can't remember ever having problems finding/earning money in any of the games.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#8 Post by greensenshi » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:10 am

adeyke wrote:It's intentional.  Providing a constant exchange rate would be much easier to implement than the current variable rate.
Maybe because it's early for me and I just haven't woken up, but would you mind explaining?  Why would they implement something harder rather then something easier?

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#9 Post by DrJones » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:43 am

greensenshi wrote:
adeyke wrote:It's intentional.  Providing a constant exchange rate would be much easier to implement than the current variable rate.
Maybe because it's early for me and I just haven't woken up, but would you mind explaining?  Why would they implement something harder rather then something easier?
My educated guess is that they intended to recreate the spirit of the bazaar of baghdad, in which unaware people left with less than what they have at start. Dinarzad is not the only one in the game that rips you off of your money, I think. In these parts of the world, it was assumed that you will always ask for a bargain, so the starting price is always unfair.

That would explain the extra effort in implementing such weird exchange rate. Another reason would be to balance rich and poor characters imported from the previous games.

I wonder if your items are keep between games, as I've yet to import a character. I usually start from scratch.

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Muadeeb » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:29 pm

DrJones wrote: I wonder if your items are keep between games, as I've yet to import a character. I usually start from scratch.
Daggers, Gold, Armour, and Spells are the only inventory that are imported.  That always annoyed me as I would leave QFG1 with lots of healing and vigor potions.

At least it isn't as bad a QFG4 where you start with nothing. :(

adeyke

#11 Post by adeyke » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:18 pm

greensenshi wrote:
My point was that a simple exchange rate is easy to implement.  However, they chose to instead have a variable exchange rate, that's more unfair if you exchange more money.  This isn't something that could happen on accident, so it's entirely intentional.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:14 pm

Muadeeb wrote:
DrJones wrote: I wonder if your items are keep between games, as I've yet to import a character. I usually start from scratch.
Daggers, Gold, Armour, and Spells are the only inventory that are imported.  That always annoyed me as I would leave QFG1 with lots of healing and vigor potions.

At least it isn't as bad a QFG4 where you start with nothing. :(
I never got annoyed by it. It's already very difficult to get a right difficult balance where new characters have a fair challenge and imported characters aren't total gods. Imagine how unbalanced things would get if imported characters could get 30 or so potions across. (shudder)

greensenshi
Knight Status

#13 Post by greensenshi » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:20 pm

First, however many pills you have from QFG2 carry over to QFG3.  Not like that matters too much unless you want to max every stat and not have to sleep a whole bunch.

Second, another question.  The Money Changer gives 9 Dinars for 10 Gold.  Does this mean(I've never tried it) that she won't accept an exchange lower than 10 gold?

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by Muadeeb » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:06 am

Any amount can be exchanged, down to 2 GP, but you are still charged 1 dinar.  If you want, you can try to exchange 1 GP, but you will get nothing for it.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by DonQuixote » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:54 am

It's not as if money is hard to make in QG2.  Between all the reward money, fighting monsters, selling scorpion tails, selling ghoul claws, the Dervish beard, the tight rope contest, etc. there's really plenty to be made.  None of that even includes all the money a thief can make in the game either.  In fact, unless I'm playing with a character who has high strength, I generally have to drop gold during the game so the character isn't maxed out on weight or buy a lot of flowers to increase honor; and after maxing honor out, I still have to drop money.

If you're one of those persons who wishes to purchase everything they possibly need on day one, I can see a problem, but if you buy what you need as you need it, there really isn't a money problem in the game.  I think the only one of the games where money was ever an issue was the EGA version of QG1, unlike the VGA one I can't give an endless amount of mushrooms to the healer.

The only issue I've had with the money changer is that I very often screw up trying to get there and back without a map and I'm too stubborn to just make a few dinars, buy the map and compass, and then go the money changer later (and too lazy to open my original box and get the actual map out).

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by BrianR » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:49 am

Does money import from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3?  I never noticed!

greensenshi
Knight Status

#17 Post by greensenshi » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:34 pm

Yes, however much money you have left over from 1 goes with your character into 2.  The same from 2 to 3.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#18 Post by Erpy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:34 pm

greensenshi wrote:Yes, however much money you have left over from 1 goes with your character into 2.  The same from 2 to 3.
From 1 to 2, only gold coins get transferred. (not silver ones) As from 2 to 3, the amount of money you start QFG3 with is your amount of money at the end of QFG2 plus a fixed amount of dinars. Thing is, since the raseirian guards take your money prior to tossing you in jail (and you can't get it back), you'll always end QFG2 with 0 dinar.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#19 Post by greensenshi » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:24 am

Forgot about the end of QFG2.  Since you lose everything from 3 to 4, what about 4 to 5?  I've never played 5, so I don't know.

As for 1, aren't all your silver coins converted to gold?

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#20 Post by Renodox » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:44 am

No.  You don't get all your silver coins converted to gold so you really don't end up with all that much gold.  And as far as Qfg 4 - 5 goes... I think the hero always ends up with 100 dinar.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#21 Post by DrJones » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:29 am

I'm currently playing Quest for Glory 1, and it seems that you can change silver coins for gold ones by buying items like the empty flask. (10 silver coins = 1 gold coin)

I wonder if the guards steal also your gold coins if you don't trade them to the money changer. I was going to keep one for myself, so I'll see.

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by BrianR » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:00 pm

So when you sell mushrooms does the healer give you gold or silver?

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#23 Post by Paladinlover » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:15 am

Interesting question. I once saw a QFG website a long time ago that had the exact rates and the 'best' exchanges that you should make to maximize your money. But the truth be told, it's not that big of a deal. You only need to worry about money until you're strong enough to go out into the desert and defeat monsters on a consistantly easy basis. This isn't hard even if you're playing 100% fair with a brand new character. The only trick to buy vigor pills (which are thankfully cheap and abundant) and just practice your attack with Uhura at the Guildhall. No need to dodge or parry just yet, simply press the attack keys and you'll be up in no time. After that, you can take care of the rest once you have a few hundred dinars to spare.

What I usually do is just get a lot of scorpion tails and ghoul's claws and sell them until Harik won't buy any more. I usually loot one brigand and a pack of jackalmen as a token action, but after you've gotten all that money from the tails and claws, it'll just be excessive weight and will do no good.

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

Mithter Thibbs
Peasant Status

#24 Post by Mithter Thibbs » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:19 pm

Heh.  Last time I played QFG2, I was lugging around over 60 scorpion tails and over 40 ghoul claws.  Harik will buy as many as you can give him if you sell them in bulk like that, but if you try it individually the number will be a lot lower.

Money really is a non-issue in QFG2EGA, though. Doesn't matter if you import a rich hero (my silver always got converted to gold, though: QFG1VGA hero with 50 GP and over 2000 SP imported into QFG2EGA with over 400 gold pieces in his inventory to be exchanged.  Similar results with the EGA hero save file) or start up a new character; when a single pack of jackalmen can yield over 40 dinars, there's somethin' a little fishy with the economy in the game.

Here's hoping money'll be at least a little bit more scarce in the update. :)

Slarty Bardfast
Royal Servant Status

QFG2 Economy

#25 Post by Slarty Bardfast » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:47 pm

So what your really saying is that you sold that guys beard over and over and over? You might be able to fool the FBI but you won't fool the FBME!