Money Changer

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#26 Post by Paladinlover » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:25 am

Slarty, one thing I noticed is that the famous 'sell beard' trick only works with the original 1990 copies of the game. I discovered that sell beard by complete accident myself way, way back then I played the game with my brother, I can remember the initial confusion as to why he was giving me the same message over and over and my money was increasing. After that, I knew I was on to something and I excitedly told my brother about it. We were ecstatic, but then it just grew on us and we took it for granted.

Anyways, fast forward to 1998 when I got the QFG collection, and when I attempted the sell beard trick, I got the message that 'you can't sell what you don't have' and I realised that some game programmer decided to hammer out that flaw. Pity he did that, even if it was technically a flaw, it's so famous that it's practically an in-joke.

And what's even funnier is that they kept the Laibon's 'for what have you come here, friend of Rakeesh' bug and they cracked a joke about it in QFG 5 (look at the spears and shield in the Guild Hall for the reference). They could have easily done the same thing for the sell-beard trick and it would been even more amusing.

Till next time stay cool :smokin

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

Re: QFG2 Economy

#27 Post by DonQuixote » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:55 am

Slarty Bardfast wrote:So what your really saying is that you sold that guys beard over and over and over? You might be able to fool the FBI but you won't fool the FBME!
I remember that working in the disk version but I don't have a 3 1/2 disk drive anymore and only use the Anthology CD, and I haven't been able to take advantage of that bug since.  I could be wrong though.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#28 Post by DonQuixote » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:59 am

Paladinlover wrote: And what's even funnier is that they kept the Laibon's 'for what have you come here, friend of Rakeesh' bug and they cracked a joke about it in QFG 5 (look at the spears and shield in the Guild Hall for the reference). They could have easily done the same thing for the sell-beard trick and it would been even more amusing.

Till next time stay cool :smokin
Not the mention the bug that lets you take the same items from the Leopardmen leader's chest over and over.  Nice way to stock up on daggers and gold, but as if it matters that far into the game anyway.  There's even the bug that lets you pick the lock on the Laibon's chest over and over to max out your pick locks skill.

In all there wasn't a whole lot of work put into the Anthology (although there were some nice extras).

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#29 Post by DrJones » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:33 pm

Now that I remember, a friend wants to know if bargaining/changing money will allow you to set the quantity/price directly; Quest for Glory III only allows you to raise/low the value by one cent? each time and clicking so many times is bothersome. Maybe you could hold the mouse button to keep the value increasing/decreasing.

Thanks.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#30 Post by Erpy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:44 pm

DrJones wrote:Now that I remember, a friend wants to know if bargaining/changing money will allow you to set the quantity/price directly; Quest for Glory III only allows you to raise/low the value by one cent? each time and clicking so many times is bothersome. Maybe you could hold the mouse button to keep the value increasing/decreasing.

Thanks.
There's arrow buttons you can click, but it's also possible to fill in the values in a text field by typing.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#31 Post by DrJones » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:07 pm

Erpy wrote:There's arrow buttons you can click, but it's also possible to fill in the values in a text field by typing.
Awesome!

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#32 Post by Kurdt » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:59 am

I don't know what people mean when they say "money was never a problem in QFG2." I sure as hell had trouble keeping my shirt on in 1 AND 2! Centimes were completely useless currency, for one thing, and golds were only worth 10 silver so that was no good. It wasn't until the Common was used more than the Royal in QFG3 that I was able to get anywhere with money quickly.

Starting with nothing in QFG4 is equally fine for me as well, especially since you just loot the Bone Cave and grab enough Crowns and Kopecks to get everything you need to buy on Day 1. The death of a few Revenants later, you're sitting on enough cash to keep the gravy train rolling.

As for QFG5, you're right. You always start off with 200 Drachmas.

gizzywiz
Peasant Status

#33 Post by gizzywiz » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:02 pm

Money was never a problem for me in QfG1 (at least the VGA remake).  There was a glitch that allowed you to keep selling mushrooms to the healer even while she says she doesn't need any. :rollin

haradan
Knight Status

#34 Post by haradan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:32 am

Kurdt wrote:
I don't know what people mean when they say "money was never a problem in QFG2." I sure as hell had trouble keeping my shirt on in 1 AND 2! Centimes were completely useless currency, for one thing, and golds were only worth 10 silver so that was no good. It wasn't until the Common was used more than the Royal in QFG3 that I was able to get anywhere with money quickly.
Yeah, I guess once you get to know the game it becomes kind of easy to get all the money you need, but it wasn't that easy the first time you played. I remember once I was going to the desert without having bought the saurus and Ali Fakir gave me the "Buy now or you'll lose" speech and I didn't have enough money even bargaining down to 5 dinars! I had to restore my game to one day before, go to the desert and kill a brigand so I had the 5 dinars to buy the saurus. What a way to make a living!  :rollin