QfG Outfit

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

AlexanderTriad
Peasant Status

QfG Outfit

#1 Post by AlexanderTriad » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:44 pm

I know there was a thread long ago about the outfit the hero would wear in the game.  I don't want to drag it up and my comment is slightly different, especially since the team is nearing the end of production.

I have never beaten QfG2, so I do not know what happens at the end.

Except, in the QfG3 flashback it shows the ending of QfG2 with the hero in his new attire.

Does he actually acquire the new outfit at the end of QfG2? or was this just filled in?

If there is no explanation normally possibly at least an explanation of how the hero receives his new standard outfit should be added... but it is probably too late for that.  Maybe for patches after the game is completed.

adeyke

#2 Post by adeyke » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:01 pm

In QfG2's intro, he wears the outfit he had in the original QfG1, but this is then changed into his QfG2 outfit.  He then then wears that same outfit throughout the entire game, up to and including the ending sequence.

So it's just a sloppy mistake that he's wearing a different outfit in the QfG3 intro flashback.  There are several other significant errors in that scene (for example, the Iblis statue is completely omitted).  Changing QfG2 to make it consistent with the intro to QfG3 would make it make even less sense (why would he switch to his savanna outfit while he's in Raseir, about to fight Ad Avis?).

AlexanderTriad
Peasant Status

#3 Post by AlexanderTriad » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:34 pm

That makes sense... However, it is strange still, that the hero just oddly appears with the new outfit.  So the final tradition hero gear remains a mystery....

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:04 pm

The Hero spends three months in Shapeir after QfG2, living with the Sultan.  It's entirely reasonable to think that he'd be given a new set of clothes for his trip to Tarna.  It's also reasonable to think that, because of time/budget restraints (or just simple sloppiness), they didn't bother to make a sprite for the Hero in his Shapeir clothes, and instead just used his normal QfG3 clothes for that flashback.  QfG3 is sloppy in quite a few other ways as well.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:51 pm

And what's even more ironic, is that there are walking frames (some complete with diagonal views) for Simba, Yesefu, Johari, and other characters in QFG3's resource files, which are never actually seen or used in the game.

So, I don't think it was lack of funding or time that prevented the hero's outfit from being altered, just plain sloppiness.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#6 Post by Boogeyman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:58 am

adeyke wrote:In QfG2's intro, he wears the outfit he had in the original QfG1, but this is then changed into his QfG2 outfit.  He then then wears that same outfit throughout the entire game, up to and including the ending sequence.

So it's just a sloppy mistake that he's wearing a different outfit in the QfG3 intro flashback.  There are several other significant errors in that scene (for example, the Iblis statue is completely omitted).  Changing QfG2 to make it consistent with the intro to QfG3 would make it make even less sense (why would he switch to his savanna outfit while he's in Raseir, about to fight Ad Avis?).
Plus, it showed Devon having to use Reversal to avoid being turned into a Saurus, which is never a concern in QFG2, unless you sucked a blue frog to get a sword and killed Khaveen.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by DonQuixote » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:04 am

Having played the games out of order (3, 4, 1, 2, and then 5), when I first played the second game and got the "change of clothes," I thought my hero was going to wear what he wore in the other games, of course that didn't happen though.

Maybe the intro to QG3 was one of the last things done in the game and they were more worried about getting the game out on time (or not too late) than they were with keeping the game accurate with QG2.  Given the change in game staff over the series, there were a number of inaccuracies with the story line, I remember something about Erana in the QG1 not lining up with the other games.  If I remember right- that was the problem with QG4, except the result of releasing the game sooner than later resulted in more bugs (and a long delay for the fifth installment).  Sierra did have a history of pushing deadlines.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#8 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:57 am

Plus, it showed Devon having to use Reversal to avoid being turned into a Saurus, which is never a concern in QFG2, unless you sucked a blue frog to get a sword and killed Khaveen.
Hate to be nitpicky and all, but the game (in QFG 2) isn't programmed to initiate the duel between Khaveen and the Hero based on whether or not he has a sword. The item that counts is the shield. If you're a thief or a wizard and have no sword, but use the suck blue frog to get a shield, he'll fight you even if the actual animation shows you fighting with a dagger (which will miraculesly turn into a sword and shield once he disarms you and you you finish him off...)
Given the change in game staff over the series, there were a number of inaccuracies with the story line, I remember something about Erana in the QG1 not lining up with the other games.
Which problem was that? Was it about Erana? Though I guess you could say that it's a continuity error, you could argue that the townsfolk in QFG 1 were completely unaware of what actually happened to Erana and basically believe a whole lot of misinformation. There are enough RL examples of that to justify it's believeablity in the game.

The only actually issues that concern me in the hero's outfit is the transition from green pants to blue pants from QFG 3 to 4 (where it's his final set of clothes). Another tidbit is that some people noted that the Hero's hair color changed from blond to brown in QFG 5... though I always thought it was just darker blond (but even that doesn't make much sense either since hair color doesn't darken in an instant, not in one's adult years anyways). Interestingly enough he is refered to as blond once in the game (by Budar who calls him 'tall, blond, and handsome').

The same thing happened to Roger Wilco in Space Quest 6. He was brown haired in all the other games, but turned to blond in SQ 6 for some unexplained reason.

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

techie775
Knight Status

#9 Post by techie775 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:31 am

The same thing happened to Roger Wilco in Space Quest 6. He was brown haired in all the other games, but turned to blond in SQ 6 for some unexplained reason.
Actually after Space Quest III they made Roger's hair blond in all the rest of the games including sq1vga. Why they did this I have no clue. He's still the same character.
QfG3 is sloppy in quite a few other ways as well.
For some reason that makes me think of the bugs I had at the end of the game. The one  had you blowing up your wizard's staff multiple times in order to kill the demon wizard. Another I think screwed up the priorities on the screen and you could walk anywhere (even the portal) and couldn't do anything else, you'd have to restore. The pointless stuff I remember....[/quote]

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#10 Post by Kurdt » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:21 am

Boogeyman wrote:Plus, it showed Devon having to use Reversal to avoid being turned into a Saurus, which is never a concern in QFG2, unless you sucked a blue frog to get a sword and killed Khaveen.
What are you talking about? If you're a wizard, you cast Reversal to deflect Ad Avis' saurus spell, which then hits Khaveen and turns him into a snake, so I'd say that's a pretty big concern.

As for the so-called "hair color change," I think people are making things up, in both situations. The Hero's hair color looks pretty blonde to me in QFG5. I mean, it has shading and with the low-polygon pixellated model it could look darker I guess, but not brown. Plus, the little headshot of the hero was done with a sepia tone, like an old picture, to fit the color scheme of the GUI. It wasn't in full color.

As for Roger, I'm still a firm believer that his hair was always blonde, and the move to a palette with 240 more colors with SQ4 made it possible to more accurately depict that. I mean, he's got blonde hair in the comic that CAME with SQ2, for crissakes. The same thing goes for his so-called "change" to a white uniform. I mean, they show it as being gray in the cutscenes. The white stuff is just shading.

antonyo
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by antonyo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:20 pm

The item that counts is the shield. If you're a thief or a wizard and have no sword, but use the suck blue frog to get a shield
Hate to be nitpicky and all, but you can also get a shield in Qfg2 if you buy the chain armor in the Qfg1 remake and import your character to Qfg2. ;)

I wonder if that bug will be corrected in this remake. :)

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by ulmont » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:56 pm

antonyo wrote:you can also get a shield in Qfg2 if you buy the chain armor in the Qfg1 remake and import your character to Qfg2.
Just the remake, and not the original?

antonyo
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by antonyo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:32 pm

I'm not 100% certain. I don't remember finding a shield in my inventory when I imported my first thief from Qfg1 EGA (Not the EGA version with "Hero's Quest" for title, the EGA version with "Quest For Glory" for title) to Qfg2. But with the remake, I bought my thief and my mage a chainmail both, and they both start off with a shield when imported in Qfg2. It could be unrelated to the chainmail, but it's the only Fighter class related activity I did with them in Qfg1, and I did not give them any points in Parry.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#14 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:07 am

Hate to be nitpicky and all, but you can also get a shield in Qfg2 if you buy the chain armor in the Qfg1 remake and import your character to Qfg2.  

I wonder if that bug will be corrected in this remake.
I don't remember this particular bug at all...

Till next time stay cool :smokin

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by Muadeeb » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:39 am

The bug is actually an error in the original's import code; it causes everyone to import as a fighter class, but with everything else as it should.  As you play through the game, you should note that normal magic user points do not add (try casting Detect in the streets), and you should wind up with the EOF side quest (not really available when NOT a fighter).  

There is a patch available at  www.questformoreglory.com

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#16 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:44 am

The bug is actually an error in the original's import code; it causes everyone to import as a fighter class, but with everything else as it should.  As you play through the game, you should note that normal magic user points do not add (try casting Detect in the streets), and you should wind up with the EOF side quest (not really available when NOT a fighter).  
No wait, scratch that, I DO remember now. Though it happened to me so long ago I practically forgot about it. I think it was when me and my brother used a cheat to import the hero into QFG 2 after we cheated in qFG 1 to give him every skill there was... :p

Till next time stay cool :smokin

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#17 Post by Erpy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:32 am

Hmmm, wasn't that a bug in the original QFG2 version that was fixed by the time it became part of the antology/collection? I don't remember it myself.

It doesn't occur in the remake, since the handing out of shields is purely class-specific.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by DonQuixote » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:22 pm

I also remember this happening.  The import bug even slightly carried over into QG3.  Somewhere in the original documentation for QG3, there's a FAQ and it explains why you have to confirm your class if you import your character- because of import bugs in QG1 & 2.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#19 Post by Gronagor » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:41 am

Yeah. Had that problem as well. Was a pain. Remember saving the character a hundred times trying to fix it... eventually gave up and played it as is. Quite a few of the saved character files couldn't even be opened. Caused some irritating game-crashing errors.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by DonQuixote » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:13 am

Paladinlover wrote:
Given the change in game staff over the series, there were a number of inaccuracies with the story line, I remember something about Erana in the QG1 not lining up with the other games.
Which problem was that? Was it about Erana? Though I guess you could say that it's a continuity error, you could argue that the townsfolk in QFG 1 were completely unaware of what actually happened to Erana and basically believe a whole lot of misinformation. There are enough RL examples of that to justify it's believeablity in the game.
I've been playing again and remembered what I was talking about!  Zara in QfG tells you that Erana's final resting place is in Erana's peace.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#21 Post by Kurdt » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:38 pm

Nah, they say it's RUMORED to be her final resting place. No one actually ever knew what happened to Erana.

Rankao
Peasant Status

#22 Post by Rankao » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:26 am

Kurdt wrote:Nah, they say it's RUMORED to be her final resting place. No one actually ever knew what happened to Erana.
well she actually does say that "Her final resting place is due north of town"  now the real question is... Was that simply her final resting place before leaving spielburg, or where she is thought to be lie dead.

Thats just my interpretations.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#23 Post by Boogeyman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:49 am

Could be that's where her actual body is - only her spirit was trapped in Avoozl.
"I can not hold you now, nor can we kiss. I am only a spirit, a ghost. It will take more magic than I have ever known before we shall ever be together again."

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#24 Post by Kurdt » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:59 pm

I don't know which "she" you're referring to, but people like Erasmus say that the Wizard Erana is SUPPOSED to be buried there, but that no one knows for sure. Opinions vary, on who you talk to. I think Zara says that it's her final resting place, but other people like the Sheriff seem to think it's only rumor, and Erasmus says nobody really knows what happened to her and that it's just believed to be where she lies. Recall in QFG2 that not even the Wizards of WIT know what really happened to her.

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#25 Post by avoozl snot » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:38 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:And what's even more ironic, is that there are walking frames (some complete with diagonal views) for Simba, Yesefu, Johari, and other characters in QFG3's resource files, which are never actually seen or used in the game.

So, I don't think it was lack of funding or time that prevented the hero's outfit from being altered, just plain sloppiness.
How does one see those, out of curiousity?

As for the Erana's Peace "incontinuity", I believe I did read an interview or IRC chat transcript somewhere with one of the Coles saying the townspeople of Spielburg were mistaken. Since QFG was originally conceived as a tetralogy, I have to assume that the huge plot focus on Erana in IV would have been known ahead of time.

I do remember seeing Lori Cole say (again, an IRC transcript out there somewhere) that she liked the idea of having characters in an adventure/rpg game give false information, as Bruno did. That less malevolent characters could simply give false information by mistake seems a likely scenario.

Consider also that news of Erana's true fate would have trouble getting out: I believe Piotyr was the only survivor of the battle with Avoozl and the cult, and he only wrote about it in the Adventurer's Guild logbook (his own family thought he had deserted him when he went seeking the rituals). The townspeople's general xenophobia after the cult incidents, coupled with the physical and magical isolation from Katrina's respective rain and farsee-blocking magics, explain a general lack of communication with the world outside the valley and the failure of Erana's story to reach it.