What was the most difficult Sierra game ever?

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

What was the hardest Sierra game you played?

KQ3
9%
QFG2
21%
KQ5
7%
KQ6
2%
Gabriel Knight, Sins of the Fathers
16%
KQ4
5%
PQ2
5%
SQ3
5%
Other Sierra Title (PLEASE EXPLAIN!)
30%

Total votes: 43

ChristopherFous
Peasant Status

#26 Post by ChristopherFous » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:19 pm

I totally agree about KQ5.  If you do something wrong, it could be days before it bites you in the @ss.  <Grin>

I think the hardest for me was QFGIV. I never finished it!!!   There were SO many bugs, even rreading up in walkthroughs, things that were supposed to happen didn't, and I just ended up walking around for ever and ever, day after day, waiting for another note to appear in my bedroom.....  Never happened. Even re-installed the game and started over twice.

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#27 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:57 am

Kings Quest 6 was not hard, but nearly impossible in my book to get all of the points without the hintbook, or some advice.

Fender178
Knight Status

#28 Post by Fender178 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:00 am

I say kq3 becasue of the timely manner in which you have to do things and the spells were a huge pain.  I do agree with you ibanez I only got 231 out of 231 only 1 time in kq6 I only can get 230 out of 231.

techie775
Knight Status

#29 Post by techie775 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:56 pm

Leisure Suit Larry 2. To me that was the least enjoyable game of the whole LSL series. The whole game is a go though the room about three times and you'll never see it again. If you forget something you need in another area there is no way you can go back and get it and you receive no hints that you will need that item (I know in Sierra games you pick up everything you can but if you don't know it's there you can't take it). Even when you beat it before you might forget every little step of what you were supposed to do. This game made me glad LSL 5 + 7 had no dying.

haradan
Knight Status

#30 Post by haradan » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:07 pm

Oh yeah, how could I forget LSL2? I remember I didn't find the top of the swimming suit (or was it the bottom?) and I just couldn't pass the KGB agents later. I had to restart quite a few times.

And then, let's not forget LSL2 had one of the most frustrating bugs EVER. Just when you reach the top of the volcano and you're 2 actions away from finishing, the parser wouldn't understand anything unless you type THE (like Look at THE door.) Frustrating!

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#31 Post by Pidgeot » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:23 pm

The funny thing is that I've played LSL2 quite a few times now, and even though I know that parser bug is there, I can't remember ever actually experiencing it. (Who knows, maybe I just type it without thinking about it.)

I'll have to say KQ3, for the reasons Fender178 mention - that's probably the reason why it's the only KQ I've only completed once.

MK
Peasant Status

#32 Post by MK » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:16 pm

The hardest game fore me to finish was Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail. The riddles at of Glastonbury Tor were near impossible.

haradan
Knight Status

#33 Post by haradan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:18 am

Yep, those riddles were tough, and each stone would only ask certain riddles. Once you figured out at least one answer to each stone, you could exit and enter the screen hoping that all 5 stones would ask you the riddle you already knew (I did that MANY times.)

But I think the riddles at Longbow were even more frustrating, if only because you had to type the answers with the hand code.

The Guy
Knight Status

#34 Post by The Guy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:30 am

I thought that part with the forest guardian was an interesting touch for a game back then. I used to play Conquest of the Longbow so much that I practically had the hand code memorized.
In Conquests of Camelot, wasn't there some odd forcefield at the point where you had to answer the riddles? It's been a very long time since I played that game, and I don't remember getting past that area. I think that's one of the few Sierra games I never completed. Well that and Codename: ICEMAN.

haradan
Knight Status

#35 Post by haradan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:35 am

Yep, the stones were creating a force field that prevented you from getting to Glastonbury Tor, which was necessary to complete the game.

And I liked the Forest guardian part, it was just a bit annoying for me to check my manual for EACH letter in the hand code.

Mitch
Peasant Status

#36 Post by Mitch » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:04 pm

I found QFG 2 to be quite hard  :p

Alliance
Knight Status

Re: What was the most difficult Sierra game ever?

#37 Post by Alliance » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:03 pm

The Isle of Dr. Brain.

I cheated my way all to the end.

I assume the scientist died thereafer.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#38 Post by Spikey » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:46 am

Mine would be Qfg4. I just couldn't figure out the right timing of Katrina's note. It's the only Sierra title I've never finished without a guide.

cyberdalekyeti
Royal Servant Status

#39 Post by cyberdalekyeti » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:41 pm

My hardest sierra game was Rama because how hard it was to solve the alien math.
And hardest Lucasarts game was Escape from monkey island because of the stupid arcade actions like getting the rocks in the right path or the lava boat getting the bottle and Monkey Combat.I don't like arcade actions in a adventure game.

John

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#40 Post by Brainiac » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:19 am

cyberdalekyeti wrote:My hardest sierra game was Rama because how hard it was to solve the alien math.
Ah Rama. I was fine with the octospiders' octal math, but the avians' hexadecimal system was hard to wrap my head around for some reason. I guess it's easier for me to go into below-decimal systems rather than above-decimal systems.

Frankly though, that game wasn't particularly good as a whole. The inventory in particular was annoying.

FrostFlameFlare
Peasant Status

#41 Post by FrostFlameFlare » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:11 pm

KQ3. Oy Vey! Usually I am capable of memorizing the copyright puzzles, such as the mountain puzzles in KQ6 or the codes in SQ5 but the spells in KQ3 were frustrating and time consuming.

Ironically, however, when I played the remake of KQ3 I actually felt bad because the source of my frustration was almost completely taken out of the game. :\

TheLonelyPaladin
Peasant Status

#42 Post by TheLonelyPaladin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:05 pm

I can see not many of you guys ever player Gold Rush!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Rush!
In each route Jerrod could perish at random by a disease to which there was no cure, forcing players to save their game whenever possible.
...and that wasn't by any means the worst of it.

wayninja
Peasant Status

#43 Post by wayninja » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:36 am

I found police quest 2 to be quite hard. And Gabriel Knight 3 was damn near impossible for me and stupid to boot.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#44 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:43 am

Police Quest 2? Really? Interesting. I'd say that one was the easiest. PQ1 was the hardest, out of the Jim Walls trilogy anyway. Open Season beats all three put together. Though I haven't played it through.

wayninja
Peasant Status

#45 Post by wayninja » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:59 am

Yeah, I could never seem to gather enough evidence at each crime scene. And it took me FOREVER to figure out windage/elevation at the range... I kept thinking I was just aiming wrong and trying to compensate until later in the game Bains would just blow me away at the park... (my memory is a bit fuzzy, I was 12 at the time and it was many, many years ago).

TheLonelyPaladin
Peasant Status

#46 Post by TheLonelyPaladin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:03 am

wayninja wrote:I found police quest 2 to be quite hard. And Gabriel Knight 3 was damn near impossible for me and stupid to boot.
GK3 just had some stupid puzzle solutions... I.E. cover the hole in the garage with tape, then chase a cat through it to make a fake moustache in order to disguise yourself as someone who doesn't have a moustache...

On the other hand... it was The Da'Vinci Code several years before the The Da'Vinci Code... with monsters.

Frankly though, as far as absolutely stupid puzzle solutions goes... nothing beats shoving one alien up another alien's butt to make a a key in Phantasmagoria II... that game really shouldn't have blown it's nudity wad in the first chapter, because it sure as hell didn't have much else going for it.

haradan
Knight Status

#47 Post by haradan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:07 pm

Frankly though, as far as absolutely stupid puzzle solutions goes... nothing beats shoving one alien up another alien's butt to make a a key in Phantasmagoria II... that game really shouldn't have blown it's nudity wad in the first chapter, because it sure as hell didn't have much else going for it.
Agreed. And the alien machine at the very end... that's the most frustrating thing I've ever found in a game. Plain stupid puzzle.
I can see not many of you guys ever player Gold Rush!
Not true. I loved Gold Rush, and yes, it's true that it was quite difficult and not just because of the random deaths, you had to do things very quickly at the beginning, which wasn't very newbie-friendly, and some puzzles were quite complex. I managed to finish it without help, though. But it still surprises me that Sierra put this game at one time in their "Games to get young minds moving" series! :rolleyes

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

#48 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:09 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Police Quest 2? Really? Interesting. I'd say that one was the easiest. PQ1 was the hardest, out of the Jim Walls trilogy anyway. Open Season beats all three put together. Though I haven't played it through.
I thought PQ1 was the easiest, personally. I beat that one in one sitting, first time. I'd recommend keeping the manual handy, it's quite helpful.

Man, it's really a shame they left the AGI version out when they compiled the new collection series. What the hell where they thinking?!

And don't get me started on that Phantasmagoria II alien puzzle... Seriously, what was that all about? That thing doesn't make any sense. It took hours for me to get past that. I still don't really understand it, it's mostly just a matter of luck I guess?

FrostFlameFlare
Peasant Status

#49 Post by FrostFlameFlare » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:18 pm

Has anyone played Firehawk? Maybe I'm just bad at arcade games, but I can't get past level 4. Oh and Gold Rush was quite difficult as I remember. I thought Colonel's Bequest was hard too as there was no way of knowing what your score was.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#50 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:43 am

I love Firehawk. I got it as a birthday present from my grandfather one year (another year I got Day of the Tentacle and my brother got Fate of Atlantis). I didn't find level 4 particularly hard, but level 6 was always a big hurdle for me. Lots of insane damage-giving enemies with lots of health and not a whole lot of energy around. After you get past that, though, the next level is ok. I can't remember if I got to level 8 or 9 but I got really close to the end. Still haven't beaten the game, though. One day...

Haven't played either of the Laura Bow games through yet. Just tried them out briefly. Eventually I'll do it, though. I recently revealed its existence to my wife and she was eager to play it so maybe we'll tackle it soon.